PDA

View Full Version : Any Flat Friendly Spots In Delta

Da-Bull
07-26-2007, 11:06 AM
All the local lakes have dried up it seems....need to get some seat time in new boat. Does anyone go run their flats in the Delta....are there any good coves or beach's near a launch....:D Any advise would be helpfull....I am not to familiar with the Delta in the Sacto/ SanJoaquin areas.:idea:
Da-Bull

Cole Man II
07-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Da-Bull,
Haven't seen you since new years, thought you might have sold the boat. With the water levels where they are I was thinking the same thing.
Many years ago we would go out to a small park on the Delta called Hog Back. The ramp had a sheltered cove and a small sandy beach you could leave the boat on when you went to park the truck. I would be up for a day trip out there if you put a date on the calendar.
Be warned that in the last 10 years or so they have built houses in the area, so a run before 9:00 am will most likey be a problem.
Google - Hogback Island, it had a nice park too.
Craig / Cole Man.

Sangster
07-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Description - In spite of its name, Hogback Island Access does not have any piggy denizens. Rather, this Delta facility is for people who enjoy fishing, recreational boating, rowing, picnics and barbecues. The expansive parking lot and grassy picnic area slopes down to a handsome lagoon with a dock and two-lane boat launch. This Delta park caters to many types of park visitors and is especially popular in the summer and early fall.
Attractions - Water recreation opportunities center around Hogback's easy access to the Sacramento River. A choice Delta site for launching your boat, eating your lunch, or setting adrift in your personal watercraft, Hogback is easy to find and easier to enjoy.
Fishing is also a popular activity at Hogback. Test your luck among the Delta riffles.
The park is open year-round from sunrise to sunset. Parking fees are collected 365 days a year, even on special event days and on weekends. Self-payment is required if no fee collector is present.
Recreation - People come to Hogback Island to launch their boat, dine outdoors, and try their luck fishing.
Climate - A generally warm, dry climate prevails in the Central Valley; it is hot in the summer, mild in the winter. Precipitation in the region falls mainly from October through April. Winter temperatures tip well below freezing producing frost, however, snow is very rare. Summer temperatures above 100 degrees F are part of the normal pattern.
Location - Take Interstate 5 to Twin Cities Road. Head west on Twin Cities, then left on River Road. In Walnut Grove, cross the bridge and turn left on Highway 160. In the town of Ryde, go west on Highway 220, then turn left on Grand Island Road. The access is then found after a short drive along the levee.

07-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Good place to test & tune. Double wide ramp with a dock in the middle. Sheltered cove if you want to read plugs, jetting changes etc. without trailering the boat each time you make a change. I used to do T & T and dial in during the week when boat traffic was minimal but that was 15+ years ago. Now I avoid the delta like the plague because of the big boats operated by the brainless.

Roaddogg 4040
07-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Hogback... What a great place...(During the early 70's) We used to sleep in the parking lot before the county took over and changed it forever:mad: Many, many great times and great river races there...
Steve

Da-Bull
07-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Da-Bull,
Haven't seen you since new years, thought you might have sold the boat. With the water levels where they are I was thinking the same thing.
Many years ago we would go out to a small park on the Delta called Hog Back. The ramp had a sheltered cove and a small sandy beach you could leave the boat on when you went to park the truck. I would be up for a day trip out there if you put a date on the calendar.
Be warned that in the last 10 years or so they have built houses in theo area, so a run before 9:00 am will most likey be a problem.
Google - Hogback Island, it had a nice park too.
Craig / Cole Man.
Hey Craig, good to hear from ya. Thanks for the info...I will look into that and get back to ya about a get together. Jimmy and I might hit camp far with my boat to get some seat time and a little T&T time. Good talkin to ya.:D