PDA

View Full Version : cams

tx-19
07-26-2007, 03:04 PM
thinking of changing my cam and just wondering who the best manufacture would be to go with.any inforamation would appericated thanks

ck7684
07-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Bullet (Ultradyne), Crower...

Sleeper CP
07-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Roller. Flat tappet or what? Ford, Chevy, Mopar? What?
Comp,Isky,Crane,Crower.
Sleeper CP

RCB19
07-26-2007, 04:53 PM
LSM Engineering.

supersoaker509
07-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Bullet or cstroub69 here on HB
both are excellent:D and know there sh****t

hotbo
07-26-2007, 05:40 PM
well ill tell ya what i think:idea: which isnt much.i have always been very impressed with comp cams products.but i have come to find in the end if you will spend the time and extra money to get a personal cam ground fro your app.it will pay off in the end:D ive been talking to chris straub and like what he has to say.ive always felt i can research enough to find a good cam to perform like its suppose to.:idea:the best thing i can tell you is to talk to alot of peeps and find a happy meduim there is so many opinons you will get lost on hearsay.:jawdrop: just to tell ya a few ive had good luck with mind you this is for bbc.stock compression with intake and carb change comps 282 solid 236-561,110,106.9.5 up294s-248-595, 110-106 or comp grind number 604-5,256-266,580,605. 108-108 i have run these cams and been very impressed.call straub technologies he will make all the power you can make with just a cam change alone it will be worth it.i never delt with bullet cams but heard great things about them.

tx-19
07-26-2007, 05:53 PM
its for a big block stroker deal. does chris straub do all his cams in house?i have heard nothing but good things about this guy and wanted to get some feed back on people who has used his cams.

Nucking futs
07-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Chris struab did my cam as well as my brothers. Mine is not complete, but my brothers little 496 10.2:1 made 710 hp. Mine should be in the low 800's with the same compression just more inches.

hotbo
07-26-2007, 06:15 PM
its for a big block stroker deal. does chris straub do all his cams in house?i have heard nothing but good things about this guy and wanted to get some feed back on people who has used his cams.
from what i hear yes.he is a super nice guy and takes the extra time to talk with you.
i had comp custom grind me a cam based on me and the techs specs. aluminium heads and the ole 496 package.it is my ole mans motor that i just built.10.2 and the normal goodies.it makes 717hp at 6000rpm and he turns 6200.the specs on his cam is .050 254-260,661,668,108ls,i installed it at 106 centerline so far he has been pleased with it.

shaun
07-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Talk to Chris Straub, he designs the cam and bullet cranks them out! I just got mine together and could not be happier. It doesn't matter what rpm i'm at the power is there and when i decide to stand on it, it goes! Not only that but throttle response is lightning fast!

cstraub
07-27-2007, 06:36 AM
TX-19,
I don't grind anything in house. Over the years I built a good relationship with several cam grinders who do my stuff:
Bullet, John Partridge the owner long time Lunati then ATEC person bought the company a few years back. He aquired all of Ultradynes lobes when he bought the company. In turn I sell John items for his product line.
Reed, John Reed the founder was a great man. Some great profiles out of this company. I learned alot about cams from John when he was alive. John was killed in a tragic plane crash in '95. The new owner/manager and I are close and I supply him with items for the line.
Demos, Steve Demos was a 22 year employee of Reed Cams. Steve has probably ground more championship racing cams then anyone else in the country. I work with him mostly on circle track, import, diesels, and Go cart project cams. I sell him his lifters and other items for his line.
Isky, Richard Isky is a gentleman in this industry. I met Richard years ago after he was referred to me for some product he needed. Isky's profiles fit several of my circle track engine builders needs.
Any of the 4 may grind what I come up with if they have a lobe that has the "lobe area" required by the combinations needs. When you do this the results speak for themselves.

SHAWNINATOR
07-27-2007, 09:37 AM
call george over at clay smith. hes a god and racing guru. one of my idols. 714-523-0530.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Go with Chris Straub!!! He will get you EXACTLY where you want to be;)

bajarunner
07-28-2007, 06:18 PM
I'll throw in one more name here, Engle cams, been using them for years. I just finished an engine for a customer, special grind engle cam, raced Pikes Peak in CO. and placed fifth in class which was the highest finishing rookie driver in class. They had plenty more power and speed available. Just one of many success stories with there products.
englecams.com

Warp Speed
07-29-2007, 04:29 AM
Comp cams!!
All of the manufactures mentioned above do a great job (back in the day, if you didn't have a Reed, you where flat pissin' up a rope!). CS can give you some of the most personal assistance and I am sure will not disappoint you.
But if you talk to the right person (for some reason this morning I can't think of the guy's name we work with) , you aren't going to beat a comp cam. They have the cubic dollars / engineering for r&d, and recieve huge amounts of data from the top profesional race teams in every venue and class. We spend massive amounts of time and money on simulation, spintron and dyno testing every day trying to perfect our systems for power and reliability. And it is still tough to beat some of comps stuff for power and torque in a given RPM range. And torque is what turns that impellar!!!
When building a max effort (or just max power from your combination) normaly aspirated engine it all comes down to the quality of your valve train parts as to how much you can get away with cam wise (and power wise). If your systems are top notch, then the pushrod engine is still built around, and limited to the almighty valve spring!! :(
Warp Speed

hotbo
07-30-2007, 04:52 AM
Comp cams!!
All of the manufactures mentioned above do a great job (back in the day, if you didn't have a Reed, you where flat pissin' up a rope!). CS can give you some of the most personal assistance and I am sure will not disappoint you.
But if you talk to the right person (for some reason this morning I can't think of the guy's name we work with) , you aren't going to beat a comp cam. They have the cubic dollars / engineering for r&d, and recieve huge amounts of data from the top profesional race teams in every venue and class. We spend massive amounts of time and money on simulation, spintron and dyno testing every day trying to perfect our systems for power and reliability. And it is still tough to beat some of comps stuff for power and torque in a given RPM range. And torque is what turns that impellar!!!
When building a max effort (or just max power from your combination) normaly aspirated engine it all comes down to the quality of your valve train parts as to how much you can get away with cam wise (and power wise). If your systems are top notch, then the pushrod engine is still built around, and limited to the almighty valve spring!! :(
Warp Speed
i have always run comp cams.:D for years and i love there products like you said i think they are the best,if you can get the right person on the phone and put both heads togehter you will get a great cam profile.:D