PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tire Question - Help??

Quest4Fun
07-26-2007, 03:49 PM
We recently got a nail in one of our trailer tires and when looking more closely at our tires, we noticed that we have two different sizes of tires. We have a tri-axle Zieman trailer...3 of the tires are 205's and 3 are 215's. They are inter-mixed on each side, not 205's on one side and 215's on the other. These tires came this way when we bought the boat...does anyone else have this situation - and is it going to mess things up??? We've been driving this way for 2 years now :jawdrop:

Outnumbered
07-26-2007, 05:45 PM
We recently got a nail in one of our trailer tires and when looking more closely at our tires, we noticed that we have two different sizes of tires. We have a tri-axle Zieman trailer...3 of the tires are 205's and 3 are 215's. They are inter-mixed on each side, not 205's on one side and 215's on the other. These tires came this way when we bought the boat...does anyone else have this situation - and is it going to mess things up??? We've been driving this way for 2 years now :jawdrop:
When I bought my boat 3 tires were 205's and one was a 215. The 215 will have a higher weight rating. I changed them right away.
When you mix and match you will likely put more stress on some of the tires which can cause them to overheat and blow. You are best off running all the same. I think you are on borrowed time if you have been running this way for 2 years. I would replace all 6 with Towmaster V's. Why skimp and chance thowing tread into your boat or trailer?

thatguy
07-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Gotta agree with the towmasters. I never heard of them until I put a couple 205's on a single axle glastron. They just don't seem to ever show any wear.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-26-2007, 06:10 PM
You're OK.
Ya want Towmasters aka Greenballs next time around, and get the E load rateing.
Also, the Discount/Americas warranty is worth the few extra bux.
Brother have we ever been through this.

Quest4Fun
07-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your reply. We were just surprised when we noticed the difference. :confused: Couldn't figure out why the would put different sized tires on the trailer and never even thought to look that close at them, other than to check lugnuts, etc. We're taking the trailer in for a look-over.

Outnumbered
07-26-2007, 07:34 PM
You're OK.
Ya want Towmasters aka Greenballs next time around, and get the E load rateing.
Also, the Discount/Americas warranty is worth the few extra bux.
Brother have we ever been through this.
Most likely nothing will happen but when you spend big $$ on a boat why take a chance on a 2 year old set of mix and match tires in 115* heat? This makes no sense to me unless you are only towing from your lake house to the ramp. Otherwise don't be cheap, get a new set of matched tires. You will be bummed when you throw a tread into your gel or rip the fender off your trailer.

Big Inch
07-26-2007, 10:35 PM
My last boat didn't have different size tires as far as I know but when I got a blow out in the middle of the desert 115 or so out I spent an hour trying to figure out why the dam spare would not go on. Turns out chevy and ford bolt patterns are extremely close and my spare had the wrong rim. It was so frustrating how close it was. I swear if I had a nail file I could of chipped off enough to get it to fit. Pretty sure you could still see the groove I left all the way into Parker :o

RitcheyRch
07-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Ford and Dodge pattern is 5 on 4 1/2
Chevy is 50 on 4 3/4
My last boat didn't have different size tires as far as I know but when I got a blow out in the middle of the desert 115 or so out I spent an hour trying to figure out why the dam spare would not go on. Turns out chevy and ford bolt patterns are extremely close and my spare had the wrong rim. It was so frustrating how close it was. I swear if I had a nail file I could of chipped off enough to get it to fit. Pretty sure you could still see the groove I left all the way into Parker :o