PDA

View Full Version : Boat ID

GAWnCA
07-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Greetings,
Can anyone help identify this boat and then give me the pros and cons of this boat? When I do a Google search for Renegade I come up with a lot of different boats, none of which look like the photos.
http://home.comcast.net/~gregaw/boat/renegade2views.jpg
Here's what I do know about it. It's a 1978 Renegade with a newly rebuilt 454. All the parts are in the guy's garage, just need to be installed. It does need a new battery and I'm thinking I might put in 2 with the switch. The over the transom pipes need to be replace which means replacing the complete tube assembly from the logs. Also need to get a complete tune up kit for the Mallory duel point distributor, and may convert it to electronic. The trailer has new tires and all the lights work. Will need to run the wiring harness or make up a new one. The owner says it has a 750 Holley carb and needs to be rebuilt, but according to the numbers he gave me from the carb, it looks like it's a Holley 600 (6647 or 2067 are the numbers), he has the kit. I can rebuild that and then change later on if I think I need to.
What do you think a fair price would be for this boat as you see it?
Thanks,
Greg

pw_Tony
07-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I would think between $1500 - $2500. Needs work, and jet boats are cheap

GAWnCA
07-26-2007, 04:36 PM
I would think between $1500 - $2500. Needs work, and jet boats are cheap
Thanks PW,
Then I guess my offer is ok. It's a couple of hundred over the $1,500.00 and only because the motor is brand new (rebuilt).
Greg
p.s. Here in Sacramento, these people think they should get almost new prices for their jet boats.

pw_Tony
07-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Well what you PUT into a boat and what you try to SELL it for is two different things. Unless you're a handy man and can do everything, then you can turn a profit

GAWnCA
07-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Well what you PUT into a boat and what you try to SELL it for is two different things. Unless you're a handy man and can do everything, then you can turn a profit
Wasn't looking to turn a profit, just looking for something to get away and do it with. Can't work all the time and the Sacramento River is just a few miles away and just begging I get out there and cut up the water a little. :cool:

OverKill
07-26-2007, 06:08 PM
WOW that looks alot like my 78 GT. If you can go to the back right of the boat and tell us what the first 4 numbers/letters are on the HIN.
OverKill

GAWnCA
07-26-2007, 07:43 PM
WOW that looks alot like my 78 GT. If you can go to the back right of the boat and tell us what the first 4 numbers/letters are on the HIN.
OverKill
I'll have to tell you on Saturday. That's when I'll get to it.

OverKill
07-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Do one more thing when you buy this boat. Make sure the HIN is what the registration says. For example if the Hull is a Challenger, the first letters on the Boats HIN start with CH. Yours should start with an R, if not I would be very concerned.
OverKill

squirt'nmyload
07-26-2007, 08:29 PM
watch your eyes devilman....looks like ol boy may give your flake a run for its money :D :D........under 2 grand??? it looks like its in good shape from the pics...for that much $$$ go for it :)
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/renegade2views.jpg

GAWnCA
07-26-2007, 09:38 PM
watch your eyes devilman....looks like ol boy may give your flake a run for its money :D :D........under 2 grand??? it looks like its in good shape from the pics...for that much $$$ go for it :)
( SNIPPED IMAGE FOR SPACE SAVING)
Thanks Squirt, I am going to go for it. I know there are going to be some parts I'll have to buy, but there shouldn't be too much, maybe a few hundred, battery, plugs and wires, tune-up kit, and misc. stuff, no big cash out lay. One of the riser pipes for the exhaust needs to be replaced, I'll have look at that and see just how bad it is. Some of the parts I may be able to fabricate myself, like brackets, but then again, may just buy them as well. Will rebuild the carb just to make sure it's clean.
I have a small anodizing line set up so I can even do some of the aluminum to match the boat colors. Also have a furnace for casting small parts using the lost foam method for casting aluminum. Not to mention the hotwire foam cutting machine and 4 axis CNC milling machine to do all the cnc work, if needed.

Devilman
07-27-2007, 11:30 AM
I hear ya, when I posted his pic in his other thread, I thought the same thing. Lotsa flake for sure, shows up like crazy in the pics. I dunno though, I think they outlawed the equipment needed to spray flake as big as mine awhile back. Supposedly it was harmful to infants & certain aquatic species. :jawdrop: :devil: :D

SmokinLowriderSS
07-27-2007, 02:58 PM
No need to fab a harness as long as the boat isn't over about 19'. Wall Mart carries a replacement harness kit which is a 4-wire plug (flat), pre-wired, that is at least 20' long. It includes a 4' pigtail for the vehicle too. I THINK prive is like $18 or so.

GAWnCA
07-29-2007, 09:26 AM
No need to fab a harness as long as the boat isn't over about 19'. Wall Mart carries a replacement harness kit which is a 4-wire plug (flat), pre-wired, that is at least 20' long. It includes a 4' pigtail for the vehicle too. I THINK prive is like $18 or so.
Hey Smokin...
Now where would you and what for? Is it in the sporting goods area or automotive? It's 18' Also, the Hull Number started with CNG and I think the next number was a 0.
Thanks.

OverKill
07-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Hey Smokin...
Now where would you and what for? Is it in the sporting goods area or automotive? It's 18' Also, the Hull Number started with CNG and I think the next number was a 0.
Thanks.
:eek: :idea: CNG. Well if I had to guess I would say it is a Challenger. This would be a question for Old Rigger. Or go to uscoastguard.com and do a HIN search with CNG, and you will find out what you have there. Good luck and get the hell on the water.
OverKill

GAWnCA
07-29-2007, 02:53 PM
:eek: :idea: CNG. Well if I had to guess I would say it is a Challenger. This would be a question for Old Rigger. Or go to uscoastguard.com and do a HIN search with CNG, and you will find out what you have there. Good luck and get the hell on the water.
OverKill
Went to the USCG page and all they had was a recall page and the number came up to a company that is out of business and no mention of the Renegade. Oh well, The registration and the hull number match so I guess that's a good sign.
Thanks,

OverKill
07-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Went to the USCG page and all they had was a recall page and the number came up to a company that is out of business and no mention of the Renegade. Oh well, The registration and the hull number match so I guess that's a good sign.
Thanks,
Do a search here for (OverKills Boat Debate) by Some Kind Of Monster.