PDA

View Full Version : Duramax!!

EmpirE231
07-26-2007, 04:31 PM
where do you guys get your fuel filters?
just looked up autozone, and if I did it right... it says $45.95... seems steap!!
are they a pretty quick jod to do yourself? tonight will be my first time. and what about the tranny spin on filter... where from and how much? and it is easily reached? never really been under the truck yet :D :confused:

bear down
07-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Call center Chevrolet in San Bernardino . I bought two of them at $29 plus tax each. Not sure if they ship or not. Where are you from? really easy to do. if you like I can walk you through the process via phone or PM.

EmpirE231
07-26-2007, 04:48 PM
I've read the DIY post over on deiselplace.com ... seems pretty easy as long as 2005's are the same as the 03's and so on... I'm sure the pictures posted of the change were on an 03?
I'm in riverside... would like to pick one up on my way home?

Lightning
07-26-2007, 04:49 PM
I used to buy mine by the 12 pack. There are a few places online that are good. You may want to check dieselplace.com for some suggestions and supporting vendors. And, yes, $45 for a fuel filter is too much IMO. Also, try to find Baldwin brand filters, they are really good. I used to buy mine from the trucker supply store "Fleetpride" for a pretty good price.

Chubby4Life
07-26-2007, 04:51 PM
where do you guys get your fuel filters?
just looked up autozone, and if I did it right... it says $45.95... seems steap!!
are they a pretty quick jod to do yourself? tonight will be my first time. and what about the tranny spin on filter... where from and how much? and it is easily reached? never really been under the truck yet :D :confused:
45 bucks......Please! Try spending near a hundy for an air filter for a Super-Duty.:D Seriously, that's prolly ballpark. I can't remember what I spent for the ford but it was in that neighborhood for 1 or the set of 2.

Chubby4Life
07-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Nevermind, I just looked up the fuel filters for the Super-Duty's -79.99:eek:

GHT
07-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Have them change it at the Dealer.. Can't say it is cheap either..:(
Although I don't pay the bill..:D

Cheyenne372
07-26-2007, 06:28 PM
And after you change the filter yourself......
How the Hell do you get the "CHANGE FUEL FILTER" message to go off of the display?

Jordy
07-26-2007, 06:29 PM
I run Wix on mine, if not Wix, Napa, which is the same as Wix with a different paint job.
As far as the spin on filter, wait about 25k and take it to the Allison dealer. Have the tranny flushed and refilled with Transynd which is the Allison synthetic and don't worry about the fluid for another 100K. 50K for the filter. One thing to remember with the filter is not to throw the magnet out that sits between the filter and the case. It will stick to the steel in the filter and not the aluminum of the tranny case, so you have to make a concious effort not to throw it out.

dicudmore
07-26-2007, 06:42 PM
How the Hell do you get the "CHANGE FUEL FILTER" message to go off of the display?
RTFOM

98 Vector 21
07-26-2007, 06:45 PM
RTFOM
:idea: :confused:

Jordy
07-26-2007, 07:11 PM
:idea: :confused:
Read
The
Fockin'
Owner's
Manual.
:notam:

dicudmore
07-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Read
The
Fockin'
Owner's
Manual.
:notam:
what he said :wink:
I don't honestly remember but doesn't that message reset with the reset button on the driver info center??

boats&bars
07-26-2007, 08:10 PM
I dont mean to sound like a dick, but why do peaple spent 40-60k for a truck
and complain about a $40 filter, thats like guys who put a 12'' lift and bitch about the price of tires....... I used wix filters and then changed it to two large Cat filters, or shall I say wix......

GunninGopher
07-26-2007, 09:25 PM
I have 4k miles on my 2007.5 LMM and the fuel filter is at 80%. That means that it is going to last 20k miles and I'm cool with that if the filter is $50. I'm sure it screws off and on really easy. I have had to purge it 3 times now for water (which takes about 2 minutes if you know what you are doing), and I'm wondering what that is all about.

Jordy
07-26-2007, 09:35 PM
I have had to purge it 3 times now for water (which takes about 2 minutes if you know what you are doing), and I'm wondering what that is all about.
That means you should get fuel somewhere else, or you've got a bad fuel/water sender. It's in the bottom of the fuel filter with a float and magnet sensor on the older d-maxes. I've got 90K on one of mine and 55K on the other and I've never had water in either of the filters enough to trigger that light. :idea:

GunninGopher
07-26-2007, 09:48 PM
That means you should get fuel somewhere else, or you've got a bad fuel/water sender. It's in the bottom of the fuel filter with a float and magnet sensor on the older d-maxes. I've got 90K on one of mine and 55K on the other and I've never had water in either of the filters enough to trigger that light. :idea:
It happened immediately after fueling up at a Chevron in La Mesa (CA) and another place that I won't bad mouth in Alpine (CA) and then just out of the blue the other time within 40 miles of filling up at Terrible's in Parker. I don't usually bother shopping for the cheap crap and almost always buy name brand diesel.
Hopefully you are right and I have a bad part. I'm pretty OK with my dealer so I plan to bring it up with them at about 10k, when my first oil change is due. I love the computers. I would be contemplating a second oil change by now if there wansn't the oil management system. The dealerships must be hating GM for that one.

Chubby4Life
07-26-2007, 09:53 PM
It happened immediately after fueling up at a Chevron in La Mesa (CA) and another place that I won't bad mouth in Alpine (CA) and then just out of the blue the other time within 40 miles of filling up at Terrible's in Parker. I don't usually bother shopping for the cheap crap and almost always buy name brand diesel.
Hopefully you are right and I have a bad part. I'm pretty OK with my dealer so I plan to bring it up with them at about 10k, when my first oil change is due. I love the computers. I would be contemplating a second oil change by now if there wansn't the oil management system. The dealerships must be hating GM for that one.
What do dealership wrenches and gearheads have to say about GM's oil management system? Do they yeild to the computer or hold their ground with 3 mo/3000 mile?

vee-driven
07-27-2007, 12:26 AM
i get my filters from my buddy that owns a napa, i do it myself and its a bit of a *****, no room for a filter wrench in there and be careful not to bust the line, and i get my diesel for $1.50 a gallon, its all who you know.

Hal
07-27-2007, 04:09 AM
Try fleetfilter.com. Good prices on wix.

rivrrts429
07-27-2007, 05:27 AM
On my 04 chevy I remember I had to turn the key to the accessory (sp.) position and then push on the accelerator 3 times to the floor quickly and it would reset itself.

Jordy
07-27-2007, 06:38 AM
On my 04 chevy I remember I had to turn the key to the accessory (sp.) position and then push on the accelerator 3 times to the floor quickly and it would reset itself.
That's the change engine oil light.

HALLETT BOY
07-27-2007, 07:02 AM
I dont mean to sound like a dick, but why do peaple spent 40-60k for a truck
and complain about a $40 filter, thats like guys who put a 12'' lift and bitch about the price of tires....... I used wix filters and then changed it to two large Cat filters, or shall I say wix......
Kinda like the guys with the $120k boats bitching about $300 20hr services....

kevnmcd
07-27-2007, 07:15 AM
what he said :wink:
I don't honestly remember but doesn't that message reset with the reset button on the driver info center??
Yes...just hold it for 5 seconds. And if you think the fuel filter is expensive, wait until you have to replace the air filter! :jawdrop:

Singleton
07-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Was talking to a buddy that works for Chevy and he said replace the fuel filter every 15K. Chevy has been having problems with them and said better to be safe then sorry.

wright27
07-27-2007, 07:35 AM
I used to bitch and complain about the cost of oil changes and fuel filters on my Duramax. I sold the truck and now tow with a 5.4 F150 I wish I was still bitchen about high priced oil changes and fuel filters. :D

OLD MAN ON THE LAKE
07-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Trans. filters at the dealer are a rip off. Go to any heavy truck place,ask for Allison filter #P/N 29539579. You will pay less than 1/4 th of the GM. price.

OLD MAN ON THE LAKE
07-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Change oil every 5000mi.Rotella.Install remote fuel filter(spin on) just in front of left rear wheel well.Never worry about the stock fuel filter again.MY .02

EmpirE231
07-27-2007, 08:22 AM
ended up getting a AC DELCO filter from a dealership in riverside for $36 .. I was surprised that they were cheaper than autozone or napa:idea:
anyway... no complaining here.. I usually always have my truck serviced.. but this time decided to try it out myself and was just surprised by the cost of a filter :) you guys must be frickin loaded man!! pfff :rolleyes:

kevnmcd
07-27-2007, 08:37 AM
you guys must be frickin loaded man!! pfff :rolleyes:
or the company pays for it! :D I had an oil/filter change, fuel filter, and air filter changed the other day and it was $320! Luckily the company pays for all my maintenance! :cool: