PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

H8Monday
07-26-2007, 07:04 PM
How do I remove the cast exhaust tips from the transom? Some guidance would be appreciated.
I am in the middle of an engine rebuild, and I found out that my tips had corroded through, and water and exhaust were going into the bilge.
I am attempting to replace them, but since the old ones are siliconed to the outside of the transom, they have resisted my attempts at beating them out. I am afraid of lifting the gelcoat. How do you guys remove them for restorations?
Help please.
Thanks -Todd-

67weimann
07-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Take a razor blade and cut the silicone around the tips. You have to work the tips out cutting the silicone as you go. I hade to beat mine out.
BTW, welcome to ***boats.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
07-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Sometimes if their in there with 3m 5200 you have to drill a small hole and use hot piano wire to melt the adhesive! It's too incredible a product. My $.02 worth.

ck7684
07-27-2007, 08:03 AM
I had the same problem. I ran a razor around the siliconed part and carefully beat on them while trying to apply pressure on the transom with my legs. Once they popped loose it was no big deal and they were not as stuck as bad as I thought they were...

TahitiTiger
07-27-2007, 02:00 PM
I had to remove the through transom covers. I razored the silicone off then used a very thin puddy knife to pry it off. I gently tapped it with a hammer and it eventually it came off.