PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Hot Boat Forum Facts

MADDOG355
07-26-2007, 09:24 PM
The subject how the boards have changed has come up a few times lately, That got me to thinking.
The current membership on the boards are over 14,000!
Over 5000 of those have joined in the last year, Normally I would think this would be good for the boards and the boating comunity in general.
The down side is almost 6,000 of the members have 0 post count, and almost 10,000 have 10 or less.
I know there are alot of people that join just to sell a boat, or ask a question, but 10,000??
In the old days People took the drama to the havasubarney forums, There it was all good and everyone expected it :D .
When I first joind this site in 2002 It was very helpful and seemed more like family, Now I have seen several newbies post some very beginner questions and get slammed for it. I will admit some of the stuff asked is so stupid it is funny. But they come here wanting to learn, only to get slammed by the same members that will post complaining about how stupid someone was on the water, dock, ramp, ect. We all need to remember everyone didn't grow up around boats, Alot of people go out and buy a boat with no experence or idea of what they are doing. For them it is get help where they can or trial and error. So keep in mind the more beginners we run off here, the more beginners will be on the water with no idea what is what.
Why not offer to meet a newbie at the ramp and hang with them for a day to help them learn the basics?
Boaters helping boaters, I thought that is what this forum was about?
Ok. Bring on the bashers, This is ***boat after all :rolleyes:

boats&bars
07-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Good Post.

rvrtoy
07-26-2007, 09:32 PM
No bashing here. Well said!

EAZYKILLER2006
07-26-2007, 09:36 PM
The subject how the boards have changed has come up a few times lately, That got me to thinking.
Over 5000 of those have joined in the last year, Normally I would think this would be good for the boards and the boating comunity in general.
The down side is almost 6,000 of the members have 0 post count, and almost 10,000 have 10 or less.
I know there are alot of people that join just to sell a boat, or ask a question, but 10,000??
In the old days People took the drama to the havasubarney forums, There it was all good and everyone expected it :D .
When I first joind this site in 2002 It was very helpful and seemed more like family, Now I have seen several newbies post some very beginner questions and get slammed for it. I will admit some of the stuff asked is so stupid it is funny. But they come here wanting to learn, only to get slammed by the same members that will post complaining about how stupid someone was on the water, dock, ramp, ect. We all need to remember everyone didn't grow up around boats, Alot of people go out and buy a boat with no experence or idea of what they are doing. For them it is get help where they can or trial and error. So keep in mind the more beginners we run off here, the more beginners will be on the water with no idea what is what.
Why not offer to meet a newbie at the ramp and hang with them for a day to help them learn the basics?
:) what he said

Tom Brown
07-26-2007, 09:38 PM
... almost 10,000 have 10 or less.
At least 70% of those 10000 IDs are Jetboatguru aliases.

Chubby4Life
07-26-2007, 09:46 PM
save 10% for Later and another 10% split between MMD and Threaded.:D

OCMerrill
07-26-2007, 09:48 PM
:D
Between Threaded and Later.... aliases abound.

Sheeprides
07-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Well, I'm probably an exception to that 10,000 number. I've been reading the boards for three and a half years and have boating experience for over 17. Definitely not a beginner but you wouldn't know it by my post count. I've learned a lot here and, more importantly, I've been entertained by the daily goings-on. I'd agree that there has been an influx of new members in the last year or so but please don't generalize every member with less than a zillion posts is a newbie to boating.

Coach
07-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Help out are you high. This is site is about drama and creating it any way possible. Tell the newbie to fly a kite and get a date with the Tomster or RD to figure out how to boat.:D :D :D

Outnumbered
07-26-2007, 09:57 PM
No bashing here. Well said!
Speaking of Hot Boat history, how have you been Steve? Hope the new town is treating you and the family well.

Slow What
07-26-2007, 10:04 PM
I'd agree that there has been an influx of new members in the last year or so but please don't generalize every member with less than a zillion posts is a newbie to boating.
I'd have to agree with this , I lurked for year's before signing up , but I still don't have alot to say , and as far as a Newbie to boating goes , you got me there , I have only been going to the river since Birth "1968" :)

Tom Brown
07-26-2007, 10:30 PM
I've never seen you post before, Slow What. Now that I read your post, I can't say I care much for your attitude.
Where do you get off coming on here with your 29 posts and pretending to know everything there is to know about the river?

MADDOG355
07-26-2007, 10:35 PM
I never ment to imply that post count has anything to do with boating ability. And apologize if it was taken that way. I Know there are people lurking that could be a great asset to the boards, But won't post becouse they don't want to get involved in the drama.

OverKill
07-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Well, I'm probably an exception to that 10,000 number. I've been reading the boards for three and a half years and have boating experience for over 17. Definitely not a beginner but you wouldn't know it by my post count. I've learned a lot here and, more importantly, I've been entertained by the daily goings-on. I'd agree that there has been an influx of new members in the last year or so but please don't generalize every member with less than a zillion posts is a newbie to boating.
Well we wouldn't Know that now would we, with jack s**t in your profile. Your just a NEWB, but hang in there you could be one of us some day.

Slow What
07-26-2007, 10:43 PM
That's funny , a Canatard that doesn't care for my attitude , like a Canadians point of view matters :eek: :)

Sheeprides
07-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Well we wouldn't Know that now would we, with jack s**t in your profile. Your just a NEWB, but hang in there you could be one of us some day.
Thanks, man. Here's another post to add to my credibility. :)

OverKill
07-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks, man. Here's another post to add to my credibility. :)
LMAO :D I boat in Parker to. You gonna be up there for Labor Day weekend?? Let's meet up if you are.
OverKill

MADDOG355
07-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Personally I think sheeprides needs to post more. I love the vid in his sig!

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-26-2007, 10:56 PM
I will have to agree. but who am I to say. LOL!!:D
I am old so I am not a newbie to much any more.:)

Tom Brown
07-26-2007, 10:57 PM
.... like a Canadians point of view matters :eek: :)
Welcome to the popularity contest, Slow What. :cool:
I need to turn in so further abuse will have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks for being a good sport. :cool:

Slow What
07-26-2007, 11:01 PM
I need to turn in so further abuse will have to wait until tomorrow.
Sleep is for the Weak :D

Tom Brown
07-26-2007, 11:04 PM
EERR Maddog355, if you been around that long->who are you? What were you originally known by?
He's an acquaintance of mine from another site, Rio.
He's a good guy. I remember him well. He's just not a post wh0re like some of us.
Great thread, by the way. :cool:

Sheeprides
07-26-2007, 11:06 PM
LMAO :D I boat in Parker to. You gonna be up there for Labor Day weekend?? Let's meet up if you are.
OverKill
Unfortunately, I'm going to miss Labor Day but I'll be up there the following weekend. Let me know if you'll be around - we'll have to crack a beer open.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-26-2007, 11:06 PM
He's an acquaintance of mine from another site, Rio.
He's a good guy. I remember him well. He's just not a post wh0re like some of us.
Great thread, by the way. :cool:
post wh*re's I don't see any post wh*res..:idea: :D :D

Her454
07-26-2007, 11:11 PM
I think this is a great post and one for opportunity. All newbie ***boat members should go through a very stringent testing. Once they pass the drama eligilibility and picture posting tests, they will be stamped with a bright NEON stamp on the forehead and a neon flag attached to their boat with the word ***boat NEWBIE.
Once stamped, anyone with over a 5000k postcount that encounters the neon newbie can help them launch, maneuver, talk shit, shoot jello shots, hold a spot in the channel, post their time slips (specifically for Bench Racers), and or just insert the occasional offensive post every now and then.
After 5000 posts, no one will ever know the difference if they really know how to drive a boat or not and the neon newbie will begin to fade off the forehead.
Im going to bed now. The terms and conditions of my HB Rehab state I cant post after Midnight.

OverKill
07-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Unfortunately, I'm going to miss Labor Day but I'll be up there the following weekend. Let me know if you'll be around - we'll have to crack a beer open.
Hey sounds good. My wife and I will actually be up there August 26th to Sept.4th. But I'm sure we will be up there the end of Sept. also. We'll see you out there, and don't let these freaks on here get the best of you. They are all different in person.
OverKill

Rexone
07-27-2007, 01:10 AM
That's funny , a Canatard that doesn't care for my attitude , like a Canadians point of view matters :eek: :)
I agree. Canatards just totally suck.
A rare evening post by T. I see too, notwithstanding the evasion of who died on a rainy morning. :)

GHT
07-27-2007, 05:34 AM
save 10% for Later and another 10% split between MMD and Threaded.:D
Don't mean to "Thread Jack" BUT where is MMD (I know he was banned) and how is he doing? Does anyone know? Is he banned for life?
He is the OG of haters..:D

Boatcop
07-27-2007, 05:47 AM
You have to realize that at least 8,371 people sign in just to say.....
RD SUX! :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-27-2007, 06:46 AM
RIGHT ON COACH ! What the hell do they think we are ? SCHOOLTEACHERS or something.
:jawdrop:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-27-2007, 06:49 AM
I think this is a great post and one for opportunity. All newbie ***boat members should go through a very stringent testing. Once they pass the drama eligilibility and picture posting tests, they will be stamped with a bright NEON stamp on the forehead and a neon flag attached to their boat with the word ***boat NEWBIE.
Once stamped, anyone with over a 5000k postcount that encounters the neon newbie can help them launch, maneuver, talk shit, shoot jello shots, hold a spot in the channel, post their time slips (specifically for Bench Racers), and or just insert the occasional offensive post every now and then.
After 5000 posts, no one will ever know the difference if they really know how to drive a boat or not and the neon newbie will begin to fade off the forehead.
Im going to bed now. The terms and conditions of my HB Rehab state I cant post after Midnight.
I guess you would be first to volunteer to help with that. :D

Seadog
07-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Comng here is like waking up in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Or maybe Roger Rabbit. Jessica Rabbit would blend in with the lake crowd very well. Tom Brown can be Elmer Fudd.:)

rrrr
07-27-2007, 07:38 AM
LMAO!!! He might not post much but definitely knows the ropes around here.
:D :D

RitcheyRch
07-27-2007, 07:45 AM
And Later's friends and family.
:D
Between Threaded and Later.... aliases abound.

Her454
07-27-2007, 08:58 AM
A rare evening post by T. I see too, notwithstanding the evasion of who died on a rainy morning. :)
Yep, the hubby's workin out of town, couldn't sleep, and I was hittin the Wine. Man do I have a headache today.:eek:
I guess you would be first to volunteer to help with that. :D
LOL, probably not something I would volunteer for today. :eek:
(And don't worry, I'll let ya help ~ even tho ya only have 3500):D

27 Awesome cat
07-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Great post ```````````

Greybeard
07-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Well said!
Where's Hanson? lol

Tom Brown
07-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Yep, the hubby's workin out of town, couldn't sleep, and I was hittin the Wine.
Once you get used to it, It's tough to get to sleep without an orgasm.

cvonscpa
07-27-2007, 10:40 AM
As a newbie myself, I can see both sides of the equation. On one hand, newbies may be aprehensive about posting a question that may be stupid to some, but valid to others. On the other hand, this is a social discussion group on the internet. You have to be thick skinned and be able to laugh at your own stupidity as well as everyone else's.
Public forums on the internet always seem to have people joining, people leaving, some lurkers, and some who stay around forever.
I guess I share my mentality of joining the forums with my views of immigrants. You either adapt to the existing culture of the forum (or society) or GTFO.
Just my .02
Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now

BarryMac
07-27-2007, 10:43 AM
post wh*re's I don't see any post wh*res..:idea: :D :D
Mrs. V, you may wanna look into this mirror to find a post wh0re... :D :D
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/Mirrors/MR_1123916_79653~20x24-Bevel-Mirror-Posters.jpg

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Mrs. V, you may wanna look into this mirror to find a post wh0re... :D :D
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/Mirrors/MR_1123916_79653~20x24-Bevel-Mirror-Posters.jpg
LMAO!! I see nothing.. :D :D :D

Her454
07-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Once you get used to it, It's tough to get to sleep without an orgasm.
LMAO. :D

rrrr
07-27-2007, 11:22 AM
:jawdrop: A Vampiress post wh*re!!! :D :D

diesel
07-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Well said, thats the only reason I joined, to learn & not be some noob.
with that said, maybe someone can help with my question.... I just bought one this last weekend, he said the kats were faster so I went ahead with it, but it has 2 ignitions switches, I didn't know what one to use so i only turn the one on the right. Well I cant get the thing to go past 50mph, he said mine should be able to do over 100 plus, but not only will it not get to the top speed, its harder than hell to keep it straight, maybe the steering is off... Does anyone know if I should take it back to have it looked at or is this something easy to fix :idea:

MADDOG355
07-27-2007, 11:42 AM
diesel This sounds like the prop modulation controller, or the canoot valve in the steering system. Both of these are very expensive to replace. you also stated it has 2 ignition switches, this makes me think that it has a electrical problem also sence it has had a back up switch installed.
My advise is get rid of it before it costs you too much. As a matter of fact I am such a nice guy just tell me where you are and I will just bring you my jet and take that thing off your hands.
Helping others any way I can :D :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-27-2007, 11:44 AM
:jawdrop: A Vampiress post wh*re!!! :D :D
LMAO!! http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/200410241256420_draculaoil.jpg

diesel
07-27-2007, 12:03 PM
diesel This sounds like the prop modulation controller, or the canoot valve in the steering system. Both of these are very expensive to replace. you also stated it has 2 ignition switches, this makes me think that it has a electrical problem also sence it has had a back up switch installed.
My advise is get rid of it before it costs you too much. As a matter of fact I am such a nice guy just tell me where you are and I will just bring you my jet and take that thing off your hands.
Helping others any way I can :D :D
OMG :eek: I knew it, those guys cant do anything right. But I couldnt be a burden on you, I really appreciate the thought though.. But since you help me out so much already, maybe you can also tell me why the front end points up so high when I ride & this huge water jet shoots out the back towards the sky, it gets everyone behind wet all the time, boy they sure dont look happy, but hey I noticed your avatar pic does the same thing, so it looks like its normal right, & here I thought I was the only one, it must be a new boat thing?

BarryMac
07-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Blondie, you were holding your face upto the monitor weren't you... :D :D

MADDOG355
07-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Can also tell me why the front end points up so high when I ride & this huge water jet shoots out the back towards the sky, it gets everyone behind wet all the time, boy they sure dont look happy, but hey I noticed your avatar pic does the same thing, so it looks like its normal right, & here I thought I was the only one, it must be a new boat thing?
That is the result of a divice (commonly called a diverter) installed on jet boats to slow them down, this is due to all the complaints of owners of prop (mostly v drive) boats that we were 2 fast.
:D :D :D
P.S. Any further questions you have please post in the Jet forum so as not to further irratate the propsters.

squirt'nmyload
07-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Just last week we smoked out one of our so-called experts and found he was nothing but a "poser-wannabe". A backyard, dirtlot mechanic that thought he could just come on here and use people to make a buck.
:rolleyes: i can assure you that this backyard mechanic does not need this place to get customers. he is plenty busy enuf.:D his yard may be dirty but his engine building room is clean. :)

sorry dog
07-27-2007, 05:01 PM
That is the result of a divice (commonly called a diverter) installed on jet boats to slow them down, this is due to all the complaints of owners of prop (mostly v drive) boats that we were 2 fast.
:D :D :D
P.S. Any further questions you have please post in the Jet forum so as not to further irratate the propsters.
This is what I miss that's not really around so much anymore...some good jets suck and O/B's make good margaritas banter.