PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the secret to getting that prop shiny :)

DILLIGAF
07-27-2007, 07:24 AM
I have tried a few things but it never comes out all shiny again. I have heard some use acid/water and just wipe off the buildup and so forth but don't know what type acid or the proper mixture, etc. I would probably use the same stuff on the IMCO RAMS.
Any help/suggestions here would be appreciated.
Thanks

shippingguy
07-27-2007, 07:25 AM
I know hte Hot Sauce will get the rams looking real good.

hottrodder
07-27-2007, 07:28 AM
My prop look all shiny when I run it over a sandbar....:)

DILLIGAF
07-27-2007, 07:31 AM
I know hte Hot Sauce will get the rams looking real good.
I use a lot of that but when the boat is in the water for 3-4 days a build up occurs. The sauce will not get it off.....

Havasu_Dreamin
07-27-2007, 07:34 AM
I have tried a few things but it never comes out all shiny again. I have heard some use acid/water and just wipe off the buildup and so forth but don't know what type acid or the proper mixture, etc. I would probably use the same stuff on the IMCO RAMS.
Thanks
We usually just take the prop to get reworked once per year and at the same time get it all shined up.....We've used The Propeller Comapny in Lake Havasu (http://www.thepropellercompany.com/)in the past.....
I know the Hot Sauce will get the rams looking real good.
This is true, the Hot Sauce keeps our IMCO steering rams nice and shiny
LMAO :D Poormans polish.....but it can also be an expensive polish.....

shippingguy
I use a lot of that but when the boat is in the water for 3-4 days a build up occurs. The sauce will not get it off.....
Yeah I know I had mine in for 4 dyas during the regatta and got some build up on the rams and the Hot Sauce made them look new. Maybe try some Lime Away and one of those netted sponges that are used to get bugs off the front of cars. Good Luck.
Mike

rrrr
I use CLR. It also removes the deposits left on the top of the outdrive by evaporating water.

C-2
07-27-2007, 07:35 AM
Vinegar is acetic acid - vinegar and lotsa elbow grease. If you use it everytime, it only adds a few minutes to your cleanup routine. Lime Away also works well.
One time I used Zap - it dissolved the grime without any effort, the stuff worked awesome. However, I set the bottle down on my fender well, and several minutes later, the paint was gone down to the metal. Seemed to be ok on fiberglass and gel, just not on painted surfaces. Made short work out of a neglected prop.

jbtrailerjim
07-27-2007, 07:41 AM
I use Lime Away on mine. It makes it nice and shiny again.

Moe_Havi
07-27-2007, 07:43 AM
My prop look all shiny when I run it over a sandbar....
__
About 15 years ago I ran my eliminator on a sand bar at the Needles bridge and when I pulled the boat out, the brass prop looked like it was made of solid gold. It looked really cool. Funny thing was the brass rudder which is about a foot long, the bottom half looked the same and the upper half still looked dull brown. Stayed shiny for quite awhile. I don't recommend it as a regular polishing method.
Moe

epeagle
07-27-2007, 07:44 AM
why would you want it shiny?
you want a satin finish, more bite.
labbed props come with a satin finish

Havasu Hangin'
07-27-2007, 07:44 AM
I use CLR. It also removes the deposits left on the top of the outdrive by evaporating water.
Yep- CLR and a scouring sponge.

C-2
07-27-2007, 07:45 AM
I wanna try that CLR stuff, it's pretty much like the Zap stuff I used.

burtandnancy2
07-27-2007, 07:47 AM
I did some testing once on polished props vs machine finished. I lost a few mph with a pair of polished props. Didn't matter all that much, I didn't care how fast the boat was, just liked to know how it performed at various rpm's. There was a higher slip factor throughout the range with polished. My trim and tab settings were very repeatable for every run, and in my case I think I was getting good info...

Captain Dan
07-27-2007, 07:47 AM
I just got back from Lake Tahoe a couple of weeks ago, I left my boat in the water for a week, and used it every day.
My prop hasn't been this shiny in some time. In addition, my mufflers are almost all clean. Another couple of days would have done it.
Not a good market for Hot Sauce on that lake.........

HALLETT BOY
07-27-2007, 07:49 AM
The best thing for removing really stubborn spots is a little muriactic pool acid
diluted with water , then polish with a good alum / metal polish. Just be careful with the acid , it burns...but works !

Ziggy
07-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Lime Away, KaBoom and other similar bathroom cleaning products will let you see your reflection in a matter of seconds.;)

BigDoug
07-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Tom, i can't believe you didn't pm me :jawdrop: but you have a few options here.
#1. 25% acid (pool) 75% water.....no work involved, just spray and rinse, if it doesn't come off fast enough for you do 50-50.
#2. put lime away or clr on a towel divided into 4s so it fits the palm of your hand and liberally pour on towel and hold it on each ear of the prop for a minute and then work it back and forth, time consuming but works nonetheless. :D
There you have it folks........ detailing 101 :D

Jordy
07-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Yep- CLR and a scouring sponge.
After the Donzi was in the nice Havi water for a week at the poker run, the props and steering were nice and calcified. I just sprayed them down with CLR and let them sit for a while, sprayed them again, and again. No scrubbing involved. After about an hour, hosed them off and they were as good as new. :D

Ziggy
07-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Tom, i can't believe you didn't pm me :jawdrop: but you have a few options here.
#1. 25% acid (pool) 75% water.....no work involved, just spray and rinse, if it doesn't come off fast enough for you do 50-50.
#2. put lime away or clr on a towel divided into 4s so it fits the palm of your hand and liberally pour on towel and hold it on each ear of the prop for a minute and then work it back and forth, time consuming but works nonetheless. :D
LOL, My class was 100 :D
I use the Muratic acid(pool acid) to kill the jimsome weeds around the house....i'd rather not be touching that shit
For me I've had the easiest results with KaBoom(purple bottle)

burtandnancy2
07-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Anytime you play with the various acids, you may consider rubber gloves. Forget which one it is, but it causes your fingernails to fall off. Might be the one called hydroflorosylicic or something like that. Our resident chemist will know...

Kilrtoy
07-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Don't put the boat in the water and it wont get dirty:D

BOBALOO
07-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Don't put the boat in the water and it wont get dirty:D
What do you DCB guys use to get the channel water scum off your boat?:D
Oh yeah Tom, I run the prop and drive over a sandbar or 2 on the way upriver. Shiny as hell, and less work.:eek: :D

Kilrtoy
07-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Oh yeah Tom, I run the prop and drive over a sandbar or 2 on the way upriver. Shiny as hell, and less work.:eek: :D
PAGING MR.HARLEY
PAGING MR.HARLEY
CLEAN UP ON POST NUMBER 23

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-27-2007, 08:53 AM
elbow grease. Not my own of course. LOL!!:D :D

Racey
07-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Muriatic Acid dilluted with water about 50/50, rinse surfaces well after use, you can get the acid at any pool supply place, keep it away from chrome and anodizing, it won't hurt stainless or gel.

BajaMike
I did some testing once on polished props vs machine finished. I lost a few mph with a pair of polished props. Didn't matter all that much, I didn't care how fast the boat was, just liked to know how it performed at various rpm's. There was a higher slip factor throughout the range with polished. My trim and tab settings were very repeatable for every run, and in my case I think I was getting good info...
Tom, this guy is right. You don't want it too shiney, it gives you more prop slippage.....and less mph, especially at high speeds.....:idea:

Big Inch
lime away followed up by metal polish
works almost as well as the sandbar but takes alot longer

DaddyMack
07-27-2007, 09:15 AM
After the Donzi was in the nice Havi water for a week at the poker run, the props and steering were nice and calcified. I just sprayed them down with CLR and let them sit for a while, sprayed them again, and again. No scrubbing involved. After about an hour, hosed them off and they were as good as new. :D
hey Jordy..
Where do you get CLR?

Jordy
07-27-2007, 10:15 AM
hey Jordy..
Where do you get CLR?
I believe that most hardware stores carry it. I've gotten it at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Ace before. :)

phebus
07-27-2007, 10:17 AM
I believe that most hardware stores carry it. I've gotten it at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Ace before. :)
That, and almost all grocery stores.

dicudmore
07-27-2007, 10:40 AM
can't believe nobody has said this yet....similar to the sandbar technique...
a quick run in the ocean will clean that shiat right off your steering and prop :D

AirtimeLavey
07-27-2007, 11:37 AM
This worked for me once in the past although, I will probably do it differently in the future. :hammer2:

Brewzed
07-27-2007, 12:25 PM
a quick run in the ocean will clean that shiat right off your steering and prop :D
or a quick lap around Elsinore

SOCALDETAIL1
07-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Tom. use CLR with super fine steel wool. or if you want I can pick you up some wheel acid from my supplier for you and drop it off to you. That's spray on and hose off. Mark

Mandelon
07-27-2007, 02:20 PM
I've tried CLR and Lime Away, and they aren't so easy. Especially when its 110* out, it seems to evaporate before its done any good.
I had my prop worked a couple weeks a go and it came back like new. Propellers of San Diego. He said he uses about 5% or 10% muriatic acid ( pool acid ) to water in a bucket and just sets it inside for a few minutes. He said he doesn't even use gloves at that ratio. It bubble it clean with zero effort.
That's what I'll try next time.
Norcal water is acidic too. A weekend at Bass Lake or maybe Naciemiento and all the chrome was nice and shiny again.
Let us know what you do Tom.....kill those little mussels !!!! :D

acatitude
07-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Muriatic Acid dilluted with water about 50/50, rinse surfaces well after use, you can get the acid at any pool supply place, keep it away from chrome and anodizing, it won't hurt stainless or gel.
yup check out my tail pipes in my sig, thats what I use on them

spectras only
07-27-2007, 04:45 PM
I run in the ocean a lot via the Fraser River. Even that dirty river is no match to the cleansing power of the ocean :D .
My props stay shiny all the time !

phebus
07-27-2007, 04:48 PM
I run in the ocean a lot via the Fraser River. Even that dirty river is no match to the cleansing power of the ocean :D .
My props stay shiny all the time !
Bottle that crap, and sell it as prop cleaner. :idea:

riverroyal
07-27-2007, 05:06 PM
didnt touch my prop build up,try TARNX,get it at most grocery store,then apply with mothers power ball:D

spectras only
07-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Bottle that crap, and sell it as prop cleaner. :idea:
hey Phebus , a sucker is born every minute , maybe I should :idea: :) . What should I say on the label , any idea ?:D

DILLIGAF
07-28-2007, 06:27 AM
Thanks Doug.....I was just showing respect to you by not asking you directly. When you were done the RAM's and prop looked unbelievably clean. I thought it was kind of a secret what you used and I respected that. Didn't want to press it and try to find out.
I will call you when I need a detail out here again.
Thanks

DILLIGAF
07-28-2007, 06:30 AM
I think you are right about that Dan. When I run it to Catalina and back it comes out looking good.

DILLIGAF
07-28-2007, 06:32 AM
hey Phebus , a sucker is born every minute , maybe I should :idea: :) . What should I say on the label , any idea ?:D
Pacific Northwest Prop Cleaner
:)

DILLIGAF
07-28-2007, 06:36 AM
They opened a Leslie's Pool shop out here in BHC. I am going to go pick up some of that acid and try the 50/50 mix. Ya, I am impatient...and shit :)
What about the rubber seals on the RAM's? WIll it harm that? I guess I will put the prop in a bucket of the mix and wipe down the RAM's.
I understand and agree with the slippage factor on the prop but still want it shiny :)
I have tried the lime away and CLR but it just takes too long. Yep, back to the impatient part again...lol
Thanks for all the input. I will let you know how it works for me although most of you already know what the results will be.

Mike67rs
07-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Do not use steel wool...From the Mercury Website:
Why is my stainless steel prop rusty?
Stainless steel propellers can discolor and form areas of light rust. Brushed finish stainless props are more susceptible than brightly finished stainless steel props. Rust stains can occur from polluted water, galvanic corrosion from the boat or marina, or from oxygen depletion. The propeller can be easily cleaned with rubbing compound or Scotchbrite. Do not use steel wool. After cleaning, use chrome polish to protect the finish. Stainless steel props can also turn white from calcium or lime in the water. In this case, clean the prop with household mineral bath and tile cleaner. Again, do not use steel wool. Follow-up with chrome polish to protect the finish.
Try Lime-Away and a Scotch-Brite sponge

DILLIGAF
07-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Did the one side and the prop...looking good again :)
What about my rubber hoses to the RAM's and the rubber seals. What if I get some on that....will it eat thru them?
I am waiting for a response on the rubber question......Thanks peeps

DILLIGAF
07-28-2007, 09:00 AM
I just talked to my pool guy and he said as long as it is diluted and flushed...wiped off with a clean towell with water....it should not harm the rubber.

phebus
07-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Don't let the water/acid mix drip on your concrete or it wil etch it.

DILLIGAF
07-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Don't let the water/acid mix drip on your concrete or it wil etch it.
Too late :)
Actually I had a towel down underneath to catch any residual stuff.
Next time I go out I am thinking of spraying the prop, RAMS, etc before I drop the boat in. It should be all clean and rinsed when it comes out. I know, I know....putting acid in Mohave would be bad. It will only be a little bit.

Havasu1986
07-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Too late :)
Actually I had a towel down underneath to catch any residual stuff.
Next time I go out I am thinking of spraying the prop, RAMS, etc before I drop the boat in. It should be all clean and rinsed when it comes out. I know, I know....putting acid in Mohave would be bad. It will only be a little bit.
It will kill the Q mussels at least. :D

Mandelon
07-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Geez, I put it in our pool all the time and the kids keep coming back alive...
:eek:

phebus
07-28-2007, 03:38 PM
It will kill the Q mussels at least. :D
Geez, I put it in our pool all the time and the kids keep coming back alive...
:eek:
That's great. Now you're going to have kids with no muscles. :D

Nord
07-28-2007, 03:40 PM
CRL just spray and rinse, I usually take the prop off. I also spray my braided lines as well, makes them nice n shiney:)

hoolign
07-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks
Back the boat into a sandy beach and tach it out to 4200 rpm for 20 - 30 seconds! Your prop will shine like the sun!

SOCALDETAIL1
07-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Did the one side and the prop...looking good again :)
What about my rubber hoses to the RAM's and the rubber seals. What if I get some on that....will it eat thru them?
I am waiting for a response on the rubber question......Thanks peeps
Yes Tom acid will eat them if not deteriate them over time, wheel acid is a weak acid and so is CLR. The muriatic acid needs to be diluted 60/40 at least.