PDA

View Full Version : Two helicopters crash here in Phoenix

OverKill
07-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Guys I saw this live on Channel 12. It is believed that Channel 3 and Channel 15 have crashed in the down town Phoenix area.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Guys I saw this live on Channel 12. It is believed that Channel 3 and Channel 15 have crashed in the down town Phoenix area.
:( that is not good news. Do they know if there are any survivors?

phebus
07-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Watching the news now. Two helicopters covering a police pursuit crashed. They were copters from channel 3 and 15. The helicopter from channel 3 news lost a pilot and a photographer. No report on the other helicopter.
Very sad.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-27-2007, 12:05 PM
:(

RitcheyRch
07-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Sad news indeed.

OverKill
07-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Guys I will tell you there is nothing left of the wrecks. It's all ash. It happened at Indian still park.

OverKill
07-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Sorry it's Steele Indian Park.

OverKill
07-27-2007, 12:09 PM
So who do we blame for this one Hot Boat??

RitcheyRch
07-27-2007, 12:10 PM
http://cbs2.com/national/topstories_story_208155909.html
News Choppers Collide, Crash In Phoenix
(AP) PHOENIX A television news helicopter collided with another helicopter covering a police pursuit in central Phoenix.
Both helicopters went down in a park and were on fire.
There was no immediate word on the fate of those aboard.

sdpm
07-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Here is a video clip.
http://www.azcentral.com/12news/

OverKill
07-27-2007, 12:18 PM
sdpm and Ritchy Ritch
Thanks for posting the link and video. It's pretty obvious there were no survivors here. Very Very sad guys.
OverKill

sdpm
07-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I agree. Very sad. So if someone did die in the crash, does the guy they are chasing get charged with it?

OverKill
07-27-2007, 12:26 PM
I agree. Very sad. So if someone did die in the crash, does the guy they are chasing get charged with it?
NSF can give us some info on that. IMO yes he is, and the police not doing anything. They had multipal chances to get the job done. WTF is there problem???

phebus
07-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Three confirmed fatalities.

RitcheyRch
07-27-2007, 12:30 PM
No problem. Is extremely sad. My thoughts and prayers are with all the families involved. KCAL9 here in So Cal will be having an update at 2 PM today.
sdpm and Ritchy Ritch
Thanks for posting the link and video. It's pretty obvious there were no survivors here. Very Very sad guys.
OverKill

BoatPI
07-27-2007, 12:35 PM
At least 3 dead. helicopters no not fair well in mid-airs. Sadly someone failed to seperate in altitude as is SOP.
http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player06.html?liveSiteStream&Live_Site_Stream&Live%2520Stream&acc&Live%2520Stream&-1&News&180&&&exp live view

lalhc
07-27-2007, 12:40 PM
5 confirmed dead
3 from Channel 3
2 from Channel 15
What a sad day for local Phoenix news stations :( . I saw on Channel 15 when the camera went off. I thought they shut off the camera because it looked like the police were about to begin shooting the chase suspect.

HavasuSelect
07-27-2007, 12:42 PM
IMO I don't think the suspect should be charged. The news helicopters didn't have to be there. He didn't force them to be there.
If it were a police helicopter that's a whole different story.

lalhc
07-27-2007, 12:55 PM
It was a terrible accident, but it appeared after hearing audio from the Channel 15 newscopter that both pilots were unaware of how close they were to one another. The Channel 15 pilot was calling the Channel 3 newscopter saying that he was right above him.

Ziggy
07-27-2007, 01:23 PM
If the general public wasn't so Gawd Damned engrossed with police chases on TV(ever since OJ) the need for a half dozen choppers in the air would be gone...IMHO the only chopper that should be over a chase would have a police logo on it...
Tragic shame:(

squirt'nmyload
07-27-2007, 01:33 PM
very sad day :(

AZJD
07-27-2007, 01:35 PM
5 confirmed dead
3 from Channel 3
2 from Channel 15
What a sad day for local Phoenix news stations :( . I saw on Channel 15 when the camera went off. I thought they shut off the camera because it looked like the police were about to begin shooting the chase suspect.
I believe it's only 4 dead.
Craig smith and rick prowlack? ch 15 , scott bowerback and jim cox ch 3

AZJD
07-27-2007, 02:06 PM
IMO I don't think the suspect should be charged. The news helicopters didn't have to be there. He didn't force them to be there.
The police work closely with the news helicopters. They use them when they cannot be on scene, and use footage gathered to prosecute. The media is practically invited to be there.
Chief of Police just said that the chase suspect will be held accountable for the death of pilots and photogs.

Wet Dream
07-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Southern Californians glamorize the car chases and started the frenzy. Of course, we have a...a...(can't say that) OJ to thank for that. The moronic public loves it, the media knows it. These stupid media assholes offered text messages when a chase ensued, and the dumbfocks signed up for it and flocked to the TV. There is a level of excitement, but how exciting is it to watch 4 people died in a firey crash to provide your entertainment? And they landed near a school. How neat would it have been if school was in session and it went down in a playground during recess? Would that make your day? :mad: My heart goes out to the familes of those involved and thankful that its summer and no kids were around.

OverKill
07-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Southern Californians glamorize the car chases and started the frenzy. Of course, we have a...a...(can't say that) OJ to thank for that. The moronic public loves it, the media knows it. These stupid media assholes offered text messages when a chase ensued, and the dumbfocks signed up for it and flocked to the TV. There is a level of excitement, but how exciting is it to watch 4 people died in a firey crash to provide your entertainment? And they landed near a school. How neat would it have been if school was in session and it went down in a playground during recess? Would that make your day? :mad: My heart goes out to the familes of those involved and thankful that its summer and no kids were around.
Good point. Everyone is in such a F**King hurry and this is the kind of S**T that happens. All this from a stupid suspect that was probably wanted for a petty crime. Yes thank GOD there were no kids involved, that would of been to much.

SnoC653
07-27-2007, 05:17 PM
As an experience helicopter pilot (1900 hrs), I have two thoughts on this. 1. It is a terrible tragidy and my prayers go out to the families and loved ones. 2. This is nothing more than greed and pilot error. I don't care what you say on the radio, if one pilot knew he was over the other one, he was WRONG. You never put yourself in a position like that, as you never know that the other pilot will hear or see you. He was being greedy trying to get in position to get the best picture and someone else was already there. Is getting a better picture worth 4 lives? and what does that say about the tv stations that instill this type of get it or else thinking in thier crews. That is who should be charged. I'd bet there is tape of the conversation between the station and the crew saying something like, " I don't care what it takes get in there and get that footage!" In this tragic case it took 4 lives and they still didn't get the footage. How many news helicopters does it take, can't they just pool resources and share footage? It's about the need to be number 1 and not the the responsibility to be safe while doing it.

OverKill
07-27-2007, 05:40 PM
As an experience helicopter pilot (1900 hrs), I have two thoughts on this. 1. It is a terrible tragidy and my prayers go out to the families and loved ones. 2. This is nothing more than greed and pilot error. I don't care what you say on the radio, if one pilot knew he was over the other one, he was WRONG. You never put yourself in a position like that, as you never know that the other pilot will hear or see you. He was being greedy trying to get in position to get the best picture and someone else was already there. Is getting a better picture worth 4 lives? and what does that say about the tv stations that instill this type of get it or else thinking in thier crews. That is who should be charged. I'd bet there is tape of the conversation between the station and the crew saying something like, " I don't care what it takes get in there and get that footage!" In this tragic case it took 4 lives and they still didn't get the footage. How many news helicopters does it take, can't they just pool resources and share footage? It's about the need to be number 1 and not the the responsibility to be safe while doing it.
How come we can't have more smart newbies here, posting with some good inside info.
OverKill

cave
07-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Very sad day in the air park. WE see these guys take off and return everyday. It was very sad to not see them return today:(

OverKill
07-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Cave
That has to be a very wierd feeling. So are you headed out to Apache tommorow?? If so have fun and be careful.
Good news. I got all the S**T fixed with my boat and should be on the water for a test run before Labor Day. Also what day did you plan on heading out to Big River?? Let me know so I can give you directions on where my place is at.
OverKill

squirt'nmyload
07-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Cave
That has to be a very wierd feeling. So are you headed out to Apache tommorow?? If so have fun and be careful.
Good news. I got all the S**T fixed with my boat and should be on the water for a test run before Labor Day. Also what day did you plan on heading out to Big River?? Let me know so I can give you directions on where my place is at.
OverKill
james, i'm heading out on wednesday next week. probably to saguaro :)

OverKill
07-27-2007, 06:08 PM
WHAT!! SAGUARO!! YOU!!?????. LOL!!!. Well my wife has to work so maybe I can ask her to drop me off at the lake and meet up with you, is that alright.
I can bring lots of beer for you in exchange for a ride home. Just a thought, if not Im sure my wife can get off work early to pick me up. I just want to get outside as much as I can before I go back under the knife again. Sept. 10th is the day, and I will be layed up back in bed for a month maybe more.:(
OverKill

squirt'nmyload
07-27-2007, 06:14 PM
WHAT!! SAGUARO!! YOU!!?????. LOL!!!. Well my wife has to work so maybe I can ask her to drop me off at the lake and meet up with you, is that alright.
I can bring lots of beer for you in exchange for a ride home. Just a thought, if not Im sure my wife can get off work early to pick me up. I just want to get outside as much as I can before I go back under the knife again. Sept. 10th is the day, and I will be layed up back in bed for a month maybe more.:(
OverKill
yeah i know :D :D...i'm either gonna go to the lake or replace my reverse cable and build my fender bunks...i'll let you know :)

cave
07-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Naw all business tomorrow. Maybe Saguaro Sunday. I'll get them from you next time out:D
I plan on doing Apache 8-3, 4 & 5 with AZ Mandella. Should be some nice lake rods there. You should plan a trip up that weekend. Heck Rob can just leave the red shady rest there all week :idea:
Coffee cup rattled every morning as they all took off together every day.

OverKill
07-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Nice!! Ya like I said earlier since my wife and I bought the truck. She can drop me off with the boat and come back when she gets off work. But usually she will see how serious I am and will just take the time off and come out with me.
All though there might me be a problem. She already took alot of time off for Labor day weekend. August 26th - Sept 4th.
OverKill

HighRoller
07-27-2007, 07:17 PM
What a waste. Some die in combat. Some die racing automobiles. These guys died trying to follow a dirtbag who was being chased by the police and their zeal for getting the best possible angle turned them into the news story.
I find it terribly ironic that the dead news crews are having their final moments used by their competitors and comrades for ratings. What a bunch of cannibalistic vampires these news guys are.

AZmike
07-27-2007, 07:43 PM
What a sad day for news here. A terrible loss, I only watch 3 t.v. for the news and this bummed me out. I'm glad Bruce is still around though. :(

91nordic29
07-28-2007, 06:59 AM
What a waste. Some die in combat. Some die racing automobiles. These guys died trying to follow a dirtbag who was being chased by the police and their zeal for getting the best possible angle turned them into the news story.
I find it terribly ironic that the dead news crews are having their final moments used by their competitors and comrades for ratings. What a bunch of cannibalistic vampires these news guys are.
Yet another insightful word...:rolleyes:

91nordic29
07-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Culpability...
Someone can probably shed some light on this but I believe that there is a statute that states (paraphrasing here)...
If not for your actions, this wouldn't have happened.
I think that he will be held at LEAST partially responsible just as if his actions had caused a fatal car crash .
I always wonder what these idiots are thinking. They have to know that they won't get away.:mad: