PDA

View Full Version : Anything to be concerned with on low hour boats?

Titan7
07-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Looking at an 02 with 48 hours on it. Owner states, with kids etc, no time to use it. He does not have anything to tow it with either?? I was going to take it to Quality Performance Marine (sp?) in Corona for their $350.00 pre-purchase inspection. Should the drive be checked out too??
thanks!

Jyruiz
07-27-2007, 07:17 PM
I would just make sure the 20 hour service was done and maybe see if the oil has been changed since then. I purchased my boat with 27 hours and made sure the 20 hour service was done.

ahhell
07-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I had about the same experience, got a '99 in '03 with 68 hours, same song and dance "kids in school, no time to go, need the money for college..." all was great at half the price :D

2Driver
07-27-2007, 07:49 PM
The usual from non use:
Seals of all types: engine, drive, hydraulics, etc
Impeller
Contamination from gas (filters, rotted fuel lines, carb or injectors clogging)
Trailer tires for sure
It’s good you are having it checked out but some of the stuff may not show up until you put 10-15 hours on it. Still, I'd rather have that than a boat with 248 hours on it.
If everything looks good have them service the drive while they have it open and put in a new impleller if it was never done.

talkinghead
07-27-2007, 08:55 PM
The last boat I sold had 130 hours on it - and it was a 1989 Reinell.
I sold it in 2005.

HocusPocus
07-27-2007, 09:03 PM
a friend of mine bought a new 21' hallett 3 years ago and he only has 30 hours on it.

C-2
07-27-2007, 09:08 PM
My 95' Hallett has only 230 hours

Titan7
07-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Open up the drive, that sounds expensive. 2driver, now you have me thinking, that would suck to have issues after 10-15 hours. I am concerned about the fuel going bad. Clogged injectors does not sound cheap to fix.

rvrtoy
07-27-2007, 09:13 PM
There are many little items that can go wrong from lack of use. Make sure you get it checked out by a reputable mechanic and if it's in your budget get a short term extended warranty for your protection.

Outnumbered
07-27-2007, 09:16 PM
When I bought the 2000 Cobalt a year and a half ago it had about 90 hours on it. I had to replace the engine water pump and exhaust manifolds due to seepage type leaks. The water had rusted the inside of the manifolds and water pump from sitting. Other than that it was perfect.

AirtimeLavey
07-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Looking at an 02 with 48 hours on it. Owner states, with kids etc, no time to use it. He does not have anything to tow it with either?? I was going to take it to Quality Performance Marine (sp?) in Corona for their $350.00 pre-purchase inspection. Should the drive be checked out too??
thanks!
I would and did do this when I bought my current boat. Rob at QPM is great. It's money well spent. The boat I bought was in great shape, but QPM suggested the drive seals be replaced. Seller paid for it.
I think buying slightly used is the best way to go, but won't do it w/o a mech. checking it out first.
As for QPM, Rob stayed an hour and a half past his closing time to educate me on the boat I had just bought, but had no experience in. Hard to find service like that. I usually take it in every preseason for maintenance/checkup etc. Gives me peace of mind.

C-2
07-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Start by finding out when he put those hours on it. If he's taken out twice per season, I wouldn't stress too much, even on the gas. It's not uncommon to put the boat away for 6-9 months and firing it up with gas from the season before (adding fresh gas helps). 48 hours - the thing should still smell new, and personally I wouldnt think twice about the drive with so few hours. Batteries and trailer tires.

Titan7
07-27-2007, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=AirtimeLavey;2697750]I would and did do this when I bought my current boat. Rob at QPM is great. It's money well spent. The boat I bought was in great shape, but QPM suggested the drive seals be replaced. Seller paid for it.
What did it cost for the drive work?
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We are going to see it in person on Sunday, if it looks as good in person, I have an inspection date and time with QPM next week. Would you still suggest a water test at Parris or Elsinor?

AirtimeLavey
07-27-2007, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=AirtimeLavey;2697750]I would and did do this when I bought my current boat. Rob at QPM is great. It's money well spent. The boat I bought was in great shape, but QPM suggested the drive seals be replaced. Seller paid for it.
What did it cost for the drive work?
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We are going to see it in person on Sunday, if it looks as good in person, I have an inspection date and time with QPM next week. Would you still suggest a water test at Parris or Elsinor?
I'm thinking it was about $400 or so. Can't remember for sure. I would do a test drive as well. I did for both when I bought the current and for the buyer of my old boat. In my opinion, you need to see how it performs, ride, acceleration, etc., whatever is important to you.

Throttle
07-27-2007, 10:06 PM
been sittin around alot... take it out and run her hard...:idea:

Lavey5150
07-27-2007, 10:28 PM
thanks!
48 Hours and it's an 02 yahtzee....:D I have 97 hours on my boat and it is 14 months old enjoying every gas bill of it. oil has been changed 5 X and drive 4 X to keep it sound......:D

iRepo
07-28-2007, 05:28 AM
I just bought a 2004 Eliminator Daytona 30 with 25hrs on it. I was told that it was originally powered with 800's and the owner was too freaked by the speed and powered down to 525's. The 525's are only supposed to have about ten hours on them. I had one problem on day one with an oil pressure hose leaking, but that was an easy fix. Otherwise it is running great. I love the boat so far.

Dribble
07-28-2007, 06:41 AM
My 03 has about 75 hrs and I have total OCD about maintainence and care. Also, my buddy bought an 87 Eliminator with 77 hours on it a few years back. That boat has performed flawlessly.

Titan7
07-28-2007, 11:21 AM
In addition to, collapsed piston rings, weakened valve springs, rust in the cylinders. Have a mechanic check it out, question the owner, was it winterized? how often was it started and not used then put away without winterizing? etc. etc. etc.
WOW That's scary! What is winterizing? I am not sure QPM will be able to check all that stuff out for $350.00.
So an impeller need to be replaced after just a few hours? or is it the sitting for so long that causes the damage?

ULTRA26 # 1
07-28-2007, 12:14 PM
WOW That's scary! What is winterizing? I am not sure QPM will be able to check all that stuff out for $350.00.
So an impeller need to be replaced after just a few hours? or is it the sitting for so long that causes the damage?
Winterizing is something that is required when a boat is stored in freezing conditions. Not an issue in SoCal. Impellers become brittle with age. Cheap insurance to replace. My boat is 13 months old and has 145 hours on it. I replaced the impeller at 115 hours. The old one was fine, but as I said, cheap insurance.
John M

Titan7
07-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Ultra 26, thanks for clearing that up. We don't get much winter here in No. Orange County do we.

Havasu1986
07-28-2007, 06:08 PM
thanks!
What type of boat is it. ?

Titan7
07-28-2007, 11:18 PM
What type of boat is it. ?
2002 Ultra 247 xs. 496/Mag Bravo 1.

Titan7
07-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Well I just got back from seeing the boat.
Overall it looks very nice, here is what I saw:
* Gel coat looks great on all areas above the water level, the keel has about 4-5 spots that the white gel was scratch away, not deep but through the gel. There is one small round spot the size of a quarter that has white gel removed. I assume this will cost about $500-600 to fix?? Small ding in the glass rear swimstep looks like the edge of a wakeboard hit it.
* Drive and Prop: Prop is a bravo one 24 4 blade SS, it has some burrs and small dings. The very bottom of the drive has some small burrs and dings also, there is some black paint missing. The round front part lower drive is a little rough also.
* Interior: Pretty much looks very good, small 1" tear in the corner of the front cushion of the open bow. Gaffin (SP) off-shore controls. The driver and passenger seats rocked a little, I tightened the 5 phillips head screws, that helped alot but I think lag bolts are needed here.
* Motor and motor area: looked clean I could see no signs of leaks, the elec ram to raise the motor cover was moved when the 2nd battery was installed, owner states that if the batteries are weak it binds, he said Ultra would fix it. Motor has 47 hours on it, Owner states it's been run every season, and it's "turn key". 20 hr service was completed, I assume the waterpump and impeller need to be replaced? 2 oil changes have been completed. He is the original owner and has all the paperwork from Ultra.
* HIN, very hard to read it, looks like the gel is discolored where the HIN is.
I could not make out "UC " but I needed to get the numbers off the purchase order as it was too hard to read.
I told the owner I would like to have QPM complete their $350.00 pre-purchase check out, he is fine with that.
He has it priced at mid NADA. Is there anything I should be concerned with at this point? I am missing anything?
thanks again.

THOR
07-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Titan,
I sent you a pm. This boat sounds like a great purchase. Gel coats that are missing a little bit from being beached are totally normal.

AirtimeLavey
07-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Sounds like you've got it covered. Rob at QPM will also help answer any other questions, like whether you should repair the prop (Bronson Hill in Santa Ana is good for that) etc. If you plan to ski or wakeboard, you might get a better hole-shot going w/a 22 prop. Works for me, although I give up a little top end. I'd still take a test ride if everything else looks good.

dunaholic
07-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Not to hijack your thread, but how in the Hell do you guys keep from gettinf hours on your boat. I have put 35 hours on my boat just this season (5 trips so far). By the end of the season I will have probably doubled that.

Havasu1986
07-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Not to hijack your thread, but how in the Hell do you guys keep from gettinf hours on your boat. I have put 35 hours on my boat just this season (5 trips so far). By the end of the season I will have probably doubled that.
Turn the key all the way off when beached. :eek: :D

Titan7
07-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks,
I planned to have it go to QPM for check up, if all goes well we will take a test ride, and if that's good, it will come home with me. I still looking at two other boats as well, hut I really like the Ultras.
Please let me know if I missed anything. My bother in law said the waterpump and impeller should be replaced. The tires on the trailer at a couple years old as are the batteries.

dunaholic
07-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Turn the key all the way off when beached. :eek: :D
I do, those are actual running hours. I don't sit in the channel all day, I actually boat from place to place all day long.