PDA

View Full Version : Febrile seizure, some crazy chit...

al cole'holic
07-27-2007, 07:06 PM
...man, what a way to end a Friday! Pretty much one of the scariest things I've ever seen and hope nobody with little ones experience this. Pulled up to pick up my 6 y/o from school, looked back at the baby seat and saw my 1 y/o with a strange look to him...tried to snap him out of it, just thought he was zoning out. Jumped out the car and got him out and he was just fockin limp, eyes rolled back, leg twitchin a bit...now I'm freaking out...thought what the hell he's dead! Ran into the school and straight for the nurses office, I said I don't know what the fock and I need some help...luckily for me the nurse snatched him up, made the call for the calgary, and started wash cloth'n him up. By the time we hit the ER he was 104.7ΒΊ :sqeyes:
Apparantely, when a baby has a huge fever spike in a short time frame they can go into this shock mode...just got home and he's fine now, fell back asleep but damn that was a wild ride. Took a few years off for sure...

GunninGopher
07-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Holy crap that had to be the scariest thing to ever happen to you.
I'm glad it all worked out and thanks for sharing.

MissB
07-27-2007, 07:12 PM
scary, very scary, hope you little one feels better. I never know, how hot is too hot. I have let my boys go until about 102, but always managed to bring it down. When my youngest was born, we took him back 2 days later, he had a 104 and jaundice (sp?), we were so scared. Spent many nights sitting in cool baths with my boys on my tummy getting that fever down.

ahhell
07-27-2007, 07:14 PM
the little ones are pretty fragile, glad to hear all is good:D
Dont you just love those buttpuckering experiences:)

little rowe boat
07-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Febrile seizures are pretty common for infants, usually due to a spike in their temp. Cooling them down with tepid water usually works fairly quick.

Sheeprides
07-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Jesus. That story made the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up. Nothing scarier than something happening to your kids. Thankfully everything turned out okay.

TheCarDudes
07-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Very scary. Glad to hear everything is OK.

Old school Ultra
07-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Holy Cr*p,
Anytime it affects any kids it scares the Heck out of me! Glad to hear it OK now

yopengo
07-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Crap that would scare the shit out of me. Glad everything is okay.

GHT
07-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Glad everything is okay.... Had to be the longest few minutes in your life. We (like many parents) have had a couple of scares. All I have to say for you is Thank God your family is Good.
Take care..
Don

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-27-2007, 08:30 PM
...man, what a way to end a Friday! Pretty much one of the scariest things I've ever seen and hope nobody with little ones experience this. Pulled up to pick up my 6 y/o from school, looked back at the baby seat and saw my 1 y/o with a strange look to him...tried to snap him out of it, just thought he was zoning out. Jumped out the car and got him out and he was just fockin limp, eyes rolled back, leg twitchin a bit...now I'm freaking out...thought what the hell he's dead! Ran into the school and straight for the nurses office, I said I don't know what the fock and I need some help...luckily for me the nurse snatched him up, made the call for the calgary, and started wash cloth'n him up. By the time we hit the ER he was 104.7ΒΊ :sqeyes:
Apparantely, when a baby has a huge fever spike in a short time frame they can go into this shock mode...just got home and he's fine now, fell back asleep but damn that was a wild ride. Took a few years off for sure...
Oh My Goodness. I have never seen one on a baby. You did the right thing though. I am sure I would have froze in the spot I stood. We are very happy the baby is doing great now.:)

4DAY4PLAY
07-27-2007, 08:30 PM
when your children get a temperature, the best way to prevent a febrile seizure is childrens tylenol, or motrin EVERY 4 hours even in the middle of the night. Cooling them only goes so far, and if you make them too cool were they began to shiver, you will cause the body to fight this by spiking thier temperature agin which will cause a seizure. Ive been on hundreds of these, and its always the same story, the parents didnt stick to the tylenol every 4 hours!!! These are very common in children less than 2..older than 2 and/or a family history of seizures you need to get them check for epilepsy.

73kona455
07-27-2007, 08:34 PM
wow... glad to hear everything turned out ok.....

al cole'holic
07-27-2007, 08:44 PM
..thanks for the good words, everything did come together good in the end. Kid had no real fever throughout the day, slept in 2 extra hours which was a first ever so we knew he was maybe coming down with something...so we kept him away from the sitters and let him sleep on and off. My daughter's school is literally 8 minutes away, so it was in that short frame he just burned up rapidly. Just one of those weird moments in time :(

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-27-2007, 08:54 PM
..thanks for the good words, everything did come together good in the end. Kid had no real fever throughout the day, slept in 2 extra hours which was a first ever so we knew he was maybe coming down with something...so we kept him away from the sitters and let him sleep on and off. My daughter's school is literally 8 minutes away, so it was in that short frame he just burned up rapidly. Just one of those weird moments in time :(
fevers are hard to judge when they are that little. you can have a fever on the inside and not feel real warm to the touch.
Great Job Dad..:)

HocusPocus
07-27-2007, 08:56 PM
i know how scary that can be, my oldest daughter now 17 has epilepsy and even though she is on meds still has several seizures a month. it still freaks me out... i know its even scarier when they are little. your doing the right things.

finsfan4life
07-27-2007, 09:22 PM
when your children get a temperature, the best way to prevent a febrile seizure is childrens tylenol, or motrin EVERY 4 hours even in the middle of the night. Cooling them only goes so far, and if you make them too cool were they began to shiver, you will cause the body to fight this by spiking thier temperature agin which will cause a seizure. Ive been on hundreds of these, and its always the same story, the parents didnt stick to the tylenol every 4 hours!!! These are very common in children less than 2..older than 2 and/or a family history of seizures you need to get them check for epilepsy.
4day4play explained perfectly !!!! The Hypothalmulas (spelling) portion of the brain controls body temperature. The Hypothalmulas doesnt fully stop developing until after age 2 (or never finishes developing if ur a Raider fan, sorry couldnt resist). This will cause a giant, uncontrollable rise in body temperature during sicknesses, ei: Flu). When I used to b a Paramedic, the biggest mistake I always saw was parents (and yes usually Hispanic,sorry if I bashed my own peeps), soak their kids in ice water or alcohol believing they are reducing body temp, in fact, it does the opposite like 4play explained...
Tylenol and Motrin work well, I also learned in a severe case, A dosage and Tylenol together will kill the fever (but might cause upset stomach). many people will disagree with this method, but it works in extreme cases. If any if ur kids get a temp over 102, be careful.....

RitcheyRch
07-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Thats some scary stuff. Glad all worked out.

moneypit
07-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Dude??!!!:sqeyes: :sqeyes: Glad he's ok... Ive seen it happen.