PDA

View Full Version : Is it Christmas? Feels like it!!

Danhercules
07-28-2007, 02:59 PM
In about 3 hrs, there will be a 528ci BBF in my garage!!!!!! :D :D
I think I will be sleeping out there!
Monday over to Lightning to pick up the headers.
I gots an appointment at Westech.
I will snap some shots when she is on the stand and upload them tonight!!!!

Daytona100
07-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Lucky SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Mike

Squirtcha?
07-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Lucky SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Mike
Lucky SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Dan

BrendellaJet
07-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Congrats Dan. Take some video and watch Steve work that motor. Who built it? Enjoy, if you've never done it, its a freakin blast.
Whats the timeframe for the headers from order to completion? or do they have them in stock? I need to get some.

Danhercules
07-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Never had a motor built. Never took a motor to a dyno.
For custome headers, its 3 weeks. You can get some off the shelf too for no wait time.
Mine have extened collecters to decrease the chance of reversion and they are kicked to clear the valve covers due to my heads.
Motor is built High Flow Dynamics.
Its a 528 BBF. Pump gas. I was running 400 hp, so this will be a huge jump.

BrendellaJet
07-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Nice, Have fun. I was in your shoes back in January. Its pretty much one of the awesomest things you will ever do. The way it sounds when They take a rip on the dyno cant be explained, you just have to experience it.
Is the Paul going to the dyno with you or is Steve gonna turn the wrenches ?

probablecause
07-28-2007, 07:28 PM
In about 3 hrs, there will be a 528ci BBF in my garage!!!!!! :D :D
I think I will be sleeping out there!
Monday over to Lightning to pick up the headers.
I gots an appointment at Westech.
I will snap some shots when she is on the stand and upload them tonight!!!!
Did I miss something? What happened to the old one. Or was it just "that time"?

dmontzsta
07-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Congrats, I bet you are pumped!
I know I am...mine is next. :D

Danhercules
07-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Did I miss something? What happened to the old one. Or was it just "that time"?
What happend to the old motor you ask? It was a CHEBY!!!!!! And I already have an anchor.
Because the wife said I could!! I got the best wife in the world!!!!

Squirtin Thunder
07-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Quit peeeeeeein on yourself you luck SOB !:D

gqchris
07-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Nothing better than knowing your "baby" is arriving soon! Congrats and cant wait to see the pics.

Crossbow_CA
07-30-2007, 10:53 AM
I'd love to see some pics of it....:D

Danhercules
07-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Picked up the headers today.
She is lookin good.!!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCF2224.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCF2225.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCF2226.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCF2229.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCF2232.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCF2233.JPG

Squirtin Thunder
07-30-2007, 07:18 PM
I knew there would be some CL around the motor somewhere.
That looks real nice Dan. It is nice to have you back from the dark side.

78CoLe
07-30-2007, 07:24 PM
I wanna make love to it....... You mean you wanna make love in it ................ No I wanna f*#k it! {dukes of hazzard (unrated)}

flat broke
07-31-2007, 12:02 AM
Dan,
Plug off those breathers and run a puke tank setup. You're not going to like the mess you'll have with those bad boys. Also, if you keep em (or even if you don't) make sure to either epoxy or jb weld the hardware for the baffles in so you don't drop anyting down on the drivetrain.
Looks good, but I think you might want to ask your builder how it's gonna light off the charge ;)
When does it go to Westech?
Congrats,
Chris

MudPumper
07-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Dan,
Plug off those breathers and run a puke tank setup. You're not going to like the mess you'll have with those bad boys. Also, if you keep em (or even if you don't) make sure to either epoxy or jb weld the hardware for the baffles in so you don't drop anyting down on the drivetrain.
Looks good, but I think you might want to ask your builder how it's gonna light off the charge ;)
Congrats,
Chris
I agree with Chris. Dan, ditch those valve covers and get a set of fabricated with a puke tank. I ran those same Ford racing covers and the mess they made was rediculous. The new ones don't spill a drop. Contact Red Rocket (Mike Miller) he can get you going with the covers.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Valve_Covers_027.jpg

dmontzsta
07-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Lyle's carbs look sick! I was worried about getting my T-Ram coated to match the carbs, I can see it is going to be harder than I thought now.
What kind of coating is on your manifold?
That thing is going to look sick in your boat! I like the "dump the chevy, get a Ford", 98% of the time it is the other way around, like follow the leader. ;)
Now the fun begins... :)

ck7684
07-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Why the downgrade???? ;)

Squirtin Thunder
07-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Dan,
Congrats,
Chris
These will do the job just fine and will work with your valve covers.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mor-68788.jpg
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR%2D68788&N=700+%2D78995+115&autoview=sku

Danhercules
07-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Why the downgrade???? ;)
Thats ok. I understand your attacks. When I get jelous or envyous of somthing I just rip it too. :D ;) :)

Squirtin Thunder
07-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Dan you know that you could get 1200 bottles of CL for what it costs to go to the Dyno room, right ?

Danhercules
07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Dan you know that you could get 1200 bottles of CL for what it costs to go to the Dyno room, right ?
You not want me to go to Westech or somthing? I might just go buy the beer! LOL
Not for a few weeks. He is slammed. Hope I can slip in due to a cancellation.

Squirtin Thunder
07-31-2007, 01:41 PM
You not want me to go to Westech or somthing? I might just go buy the beer! LOL
Not for a few weeks. He is slammed. Hope I can slip in due to a cancellation.
Victor and I were just talkin about it. Just some trivial BS.
I plead the 5th on the dyno time for a lake/river boat.

Danhercules
07-31-2007, 02:07 PM
My reasons to dyno are....
1) If its gonna break, its gonna break on the dyno.
2) Tuning
3) break in
4) peak HP at what RPM for impeller reasons.
5) oh ya, and cause I have never dont it before and I hear its awsome!

Squirtin Thunder
07-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Dan I think it will be very cool for you !
I still think your a lucky SOB !

IndianaTahiti
07-31-2007, 05:22 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR%2D68788&N=700+%2D78995+115&autoview=sku
These things tie into the headers?:idea:

Squirtin Thunder
07-31-2007, 05:35 PM
These things tie into the headers?:idea:
Or puke tank

Rocknpalms
07-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Hey Uncle Dan,
This is your nephew Trevor, cool looking motor but my dad says his Chevy 502 can STILL kick your butt.:D

Rocknpalms
07-31-2007, 05:41 PM
Dan,
Sorry, I had no idea Trevor was on my computor. He does have a point.

Danhercules
07-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Trever,
That might be the case, but he has to launch the "yea we do" instead of just fartin around on the pontoon. :D

airboater67
07-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Thank the lord for the BIG BLOCK FORD. Motor is awesome!!

flat broke
07-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Those things are $85 each, and you still need to vent them to a puke tank or to header evac tubes. Since Dan is running lightnings, the evac tube option isn't on the table. You can plug all the holes in the valvecovers except one, run a bulkhead fitting to AN hose and then run the $75 Moroso or Stefs puke tank and be plenty of money ahead and have a way cleaner installation than if you use those dingleberry setups. Just because the Summit catalog says something is for a 7.99 drag car doesn't make it the cat's pajamas for a boat that's going to be under power for a considerably longer amount of time.
As far as the 1200 CLs vs the Dyno, I doubt 1200CLs would be enough to drown Dan's sorrows if he lunched the motor it's first time out because of something stupid that would have easily been identified and fixed on the dyno. There is a difference between a hillbilly 429 with "high compression" pistons, a 3/4 race cam, and whatever else you want to pull out of the Summit catalog, vs the piece Dan will soon have in his boat. When you've spent good money on good parts, and paid a knowledgeable professional to do the assembly; the relatively small chunk of change to put the motor on the dyno and get valuable information, an optimum tune, and piece of mind is money much better spent. And of course you're going to plead the 5th on river boats and dynos; you need to have dyno'd a motor for your river boat to have any valuable input on the subject.
Mike,
Fabricated valvecovers with an AN bung for direct mounting the puke tank would be cool, but I believe Dan just bought the Ford Racing pieces, so might as well buy some aluminum oil fill hole plugs like you see on the B&B/Rex/Teague valvecovers; tap the holes to accept the plug, then only use one to plumb your puke tank.
Dan,
Good luck on the home stretch. Just stay on top of the little details, and I'm sure you'll be happier than you could have ever imagined with the new bullet.
Chris

flat broke
07-31-2007, 09:42 PM
Dan,
I just noticed one more thing that might be a problem for you. Your thermostat housing/water outlet divider has a potential plumbing problem. There might not be enough room on the passenger side outlet to thread in a std pipe/AN adapter AND a hose end. If that's the case, you'll need to either plug that outlet and use the one in the manifold below it, or run a std 90 degree pipe to AN adpater fitting and install it before you bolt down the housing. Then run another 90 swivel hose end to get the hose heading back the right direction to the front of the header. The only problem with this work around is that you may need to run a small head 12point bolt or smaller socket head cap hardware on the manifold to clear around the fitting. I know that was a real tight spot on Ty's 501 with braided lines going to the Lightnings.
Chris

dmontzsta
07-31-2007, 10:28 PM
There is a difference between a hillbilly 429 with "high compression" pistons, a 3/4 race cam, and whatever else you want to pull out of the Summit catalog, vs the piece Dan will soon have in his boat. When you've spent good money on good parts, and paid a knowledgeable professional to do the assembly; the relatively small chunk of change to put the motor on the dyno and get valuable information, an optimum tune, and piece of mind is money much better spent.
Ouch...I am having a stroked hillbilly 429 with "high compression" that will be done soon and I am not hitting the dyno. :) Mainly because I trust the person building the motor (same person that built Dan's) and I will tune it in the boat, in the water. :)

IndianaTahiti
08-01-2007, 03:58 AM
Those things are $85 each, and you still need to vent them to a puke tank or to header evac tubes. Since Dan is running lightnings, the evac tube option isn't on the table. You can plug all the holes in the valvecovers except one, run a bulkhead fitting to AN hose and then run the $75 Moroso or Stefs puke tank and be plenty of money ahead and have a way cleaner installation than if you use those dingleberry setups. Just because the Summit catalog says something is for a 7.99 drag car doesn't make it the cat's pajamas for a boat that's going to be under power for a considerably longer amount of time.
As far as the 1200 CLs vs the Dyno, I doubt 1200CLs would be enough to drown Dan's sorrows if he lunched the motor it's first time out because of something stupid that would have easily been identified and fixed on the dyno. There is a difference between a hillbilly 429 with "high compression" pistons, a 3/4 race cam, and whatever else you want to pull out of the Summit catalog, vs the piece Dan will soon have in his boat. When you've spent good money on good parts, and paid a knowledgeable professional to do the assembly; the relatively small chunk of change to put the motor on the dyno and get valuable information, an optimum tune, and piece of mind is money much better spent. And of course you're going to plead the 5th on river boats and dynos; you need to have dyno'd a motor for your river boat to have any valuable input on the subject.
Mike,
Fabricated valvecovers with an AN bung for direct mounting the puke tank would be cool, but I believe Dan just bought the Ford Racing pieces, so might as well buy some aluminum oil fill hole plugs like you see on the B&B/Rex/Teague valvecovers; tap the holes to accept the plug, then only use one to plumb your puke tank.
Dan,
Good luck on the home stretch. Just stay on top of the little details, and I'm sure you'll be happier than you could have ever imagined with the new bullet.
Chris
So you dont like the header setup? Does any one have a detailed pick on how these are plumbed? Do they interfere if you want to install a vac pump?:confused:

flat broke
08-01-2007, 08:04 AM
So you dont like the header setup? Does any one have a detailed pick on how these are plumbed? Do they interfere if you want to install a vac pump?:confused:
I like Dan's header setup just fine. I have a very similar set of headers on my engine. If you mean, I don't like evacuating crank case pressure into the headers, that's not what I said. Since Dan is running jacketed headers, that's not really an option at this point.
As far as running a vacum pump with the setup above, the answer would be no. When you are running a vacum pump, it is typically to assist ring sealing when using a low tension ring set in search of an extra few ponies. In those setups, the only access the crankcase has to the environment is through the pump. If you ran those breathers AND a vacum pump, it would be like trying to drink through a straw with holes in it. The pump would never create proper vacum for the rings to work as designed, and that would lead to other problems.
Don,
There are plenty of 429s that aren't "hillbilly" motors. The point I was trying to make is that when you spend say $8,000 on a new motor; spending an extra 10% to make sure there are no issues and know exacty where and how it makes it's power before it goes into the boat is pretty cheap piece of mind. It has nothing to do with whether or not your buider (who I already knew was the same guy that Dan used) know's what they are doing. It also has nothing to do with the actual number shown on the dyno sheet. What it does tell you is where your motor will pull it's power. Seems like that would be nice info to have on hand when selecting a prop and gear ratio for your boat. The other benefit is that there are always variables that are beyond the control of the engine builder. There could be an issue with a part that was a mfg defect etc. Having the ability to read the EGTs and fuel curve on the dyno after a couple second pull is a lot less risky than going out to the lake and "tuning" by running it and trying to keep an eye on your tach while you're pinning it. Unless you're running in real consistent water with a good timing setup, it'd be hard to nail your tune as accurately as you could on the Dyno. Different strokes for different folks, and I totally understand being on a budget. But after having done it both ways, I'll never do another engine build that won't go on the dyno before it goes in a vehicle.
Chris

R.A.D.man
08-01-2007, 08:48 AM
You might like this puke tank setup with those new valve covers. It's simply a standard valve cover gromet for a push in breather with a #10an fitting and hose threaded into the gromet, its a tight fit, never leaked, the gromets eventually crack after a year or two, but they are easily replaced. Saves you from welding on the new covers.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/1972rebel/1972%20Rebel/bonham-mem-day-05107.jpg

Danhercules
08-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the breathers. They will have to do for the next week or so. My dyno date got pushed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like Tues will be D-Day!!!!!!!!
I like the idea of running the hoses out of the tops of the valve covers into a puke tanke. I think I might go that route.

flat broke
08-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Dan,
Have fun on Tuesday. It's gonna be great to see you out handing it to every 18'er with OTs while you're cruising in comfort with the big Fjord hidding under the hatch.
Chris