PDA

View Full Version : A/C Help!!!

phebus
07-29-2007, 06:38 AM
O.K. A/C guys, I need a little help. Came home last night, and A/C was dead. We have a digital thermostat, and it has no display. Power is good to roof mounted heat pump type unit and no breakers are tripped at elec panel.
Are there any breakers or fuses to unit itself (other then breaker in elec panel)? Is there any way to jump the small wires coming to thermostat to see if unit works (Red, green, blue, brown, yellow)?
We have to have air!!

Mandelon
07-29-2007, 06:42 AM
yes, you can but don't cut the red wire......
I heard you can short out the board if you touch the wrong ones.....
eh, but what do I know............:D

phebus
07-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Lots of lightening here last night, I'm hoping a power surge didn't take something out already.

phebus
07-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Carey (Slowinhavasu), if you read this, call me. I didn't want to call your house early on a Sunday morning.
Thanks

TOBTEK
07-29-2007, 07:52 AM
Rick, your so cool im suprised you need AC :D

Trailer Park Casanova
07-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Vey good chance that water blew in through the exhaust vent, and worked its way to to electronics.
Perhaps unplug the furnace, and dry out the inside works.
If it's a Day and Nite, Payne, Carrier or Byran this is common.
Their will be a purple car type fuse on the circuit board, it's probably blown.
i forget the amps.
Replace it with the same cap fuse, don't fake it.
Make sure the furnace is up-plugged before you go in.
Get back and let us know.

Kilrtoy
07-29-2007, 08:15 AM
reset button on therm, pull it ofF the wall hit the reset button and replace should do the trick.
if not it, then I agree,
PAY THE ELECTRIC BILL BEFORE YOUR BAR BILL

Trailer Park Casanova
07-29-2007, 08:16 AM
You can dry out the inside works with a blow dryer.
Don't let anything get hot, perhaps use the blow dryer air only with the heat off.
Then check the little auto type plug-in fuses.
There is usually one big purple fuse, and a few little fuses of other colors.
Remember, the plug pulled from the furnace to the wall.

phebus
07-29-2007, 08:21 AM
A/C is a Carrier. There are no visible fuses inside the case, just a 24v breaker that doesn't appear to be tripped.
I jumped the red to yellow at the thermostat and the unit ran while connected. I then jumped red to green and the unit ran for a few minutes after the jumper was removed.
Bad thermostat? It is a special thermostat that connect to a "smart home" controller. It is made by OnQ.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-29-2007, 08:29 AM
A/C is a Carrier. There are no visible fuses inside the case, just a 24v breaker that doesn't appear to be tripped.
I jumped the red to yellow at the thermostat and the unit ran while connected. I then jumped red to green and the unit ran for a few minutes after the jumper was removed.
Bad thermostat? It is a special thermostat that connect to a "smart home" controller. It is made by OnQ.
Could be, sounds like you might want a pro to check it out furthur if it's a proprtietary system like that.
Not homeowner serviceable. Circuit bds on energy managements systems are $$$, ya don't wanna toast one.

riverroyal
07-29-2007, 08:58 AM
in the unit,thermostat is wired through it .Rare that it would blow,but with weird weather you never know,If its still down,let me know

phebus
07-29-2007, 09:38 AM
All righty. All is good.
Scott (HavasuDreamin) called Carey (Slowinnhavasu) and let him know of my dilema. Carey dropped what he was doing and came on over. He jumped some wires at the thermostat, diagnosed the problem, went out to his van, came in with a new thermostat and had the whole thing up and running within 10mins of getting here.
Thanks to all, and especially Carey who works for Kool Wave.
If anyone has any cooling/heating problems out here in the Havasu area, Carey and Kool Wave are awesome!!

LLGirl
07-29-2007, 09:38 AM
If the unit worked when you jumped out the stat, there's nothing wrong with the equipment. It's stat related.
Mrll

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-29-2007, 09:43 AM
All righty. All is good.
Scott (HavasuDreamin) called Carey (Slowinnhavasu) and let him know of my dilema. Carey dropped what he was doing and came on over. He jumped some wires at the thermostat, diagnosed the problem, went out to his van, came in with a new thermostat and had the whole thing up and running within 10mins of getting here.
If anyone has any cooling/heating problems out here in the Havasu area, Carey and Kool Wave are awesome!!
Glad to see you are up and runnin. :cool:

phebus
07-29-2007, 09:46 AM
The heat wasn't bothering me too much, but I think it must have triggered a period in my wife. Whew, I was lucky enough to escape with my head. :D
Take a menopausal wife, and turn off the air, and all hell breaks loose. :mad:

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-29-2007, 09:51 AM
The heat wasn't bothering me too much, but I think it must have triggered a period in my wife. Whew, I was lucky enough to escape with my head. :D
LMAO!! :D :D

Trailer Park Casanova
07-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Yes, going through the same thing.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-29-2007, 12:44 PM
All righty. All is good.
Glad he got it fixed.....I have no problem calling Carey early in the morning.....LMAO