PDA

View Full Version : Mercury spanner nut tool

Tom Brown
06-24-2003, 06:10 PM
I've got two Mercury V6 Fleetmaster gear cases with a different style of spanner nut on each. Does the Mercury spanner nut tool work for both? Does anyone else make a tool? I didn't see one on the Bob's web site.
Thanks,
Tom

Zuumer
06-28-2003, 05:33 AM
Tom,
Are you talking about the lock tab ring that goes on the prop shaft and is followed by the prop nut ? If so, there are two different kinds. The early style was thicker and had plain tabs that you'd knock into the grooves of the prop hub lock ring. You can use a pair of channel lock pliers opened wide to grip the prop shaft and edge of each of the 3 tabs to bend them outwards and then remove the prop nut. Mercury makes a pair of pliers for this type.
The newer style is the thinner one with the tabs bent up at a 90 degree angle and a small hole at the end. These you can easily bend outwards with a pair of needle nose pliers. Mercury doesn't make a special tool for these.
I think this is what you are refering to. If not please let me know and I'll get the answer for you. :) :)
Thanks,
Ron

sorry dog
06-28-2003, 06:20 AM
I think Tom is referring to carrier (nut?) that needs a spanner wrench to get loose.
But I'm too young to know anything so I'm probably wrong.

TIMEBOMB
06-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Tom
I looked up the number in my merc book but all they cover is sportmasters of the 2.4L and 2.5L. The number they call out is 91-61069 and it lists on the merc web page as $69.00 and some change. I don't know if they are all the same (fleetmaster and sportmasters) maybe this will help, maybe not. Later, Gary :)
[ June 28, 2003, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: TIMEBOMB ]

Tom Brown
06-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Ron - Thank you. That's great information. I had been lifting the tabs with a big flat blade and hammer. I'll give the channel locks a try next time. I have both old and new styles, by the way, so your descriptions of both are appreciated. :)
Dog - You're right about the carrier net. Also, I think you should stop reading Blown472's posts. :D
Gary - That's it! Thank you very much. I hadn't been able to find it. :)
I really appreciate the help, gentlemen. :)
-- Tom