PDA

View Full Version : chevy suburban diesel

bob briley
07-29-2007, 05:13 PM
saw a newer HD2500 suburban diesel looked to be a 04 to a 06 , cant find any info on it and how many made

caroftheweek
07-29-2007, 05:17 PM
saw a newer HD2500 suburban diesel looked to be a 04 to a 06 , cant find any info on it and how many made
GM has never offically made any. hence the lack of info on it.
I personally think, as do many others, that they are crazy for not making one. but they tend to never do what most people want

RiverOtter
07-29-2007, 05:17 PM
http://www.duramaxsuburban.com/

AZJD
07-29-2007, 06:02 PM
http://www.duramaxsuburban.com/
Guess that solves that!

Zaairman
07-29-2007, 06:46 PM
A $70K+ used truck with no warranty and usually a salvage title? Noooooo thank you.

ULTRA26 # 1
07-29-2007, 06:53 PM
I've researched because I would love to have one. There is talk of of Diesel Sub in 09 and I heard that in 08 there will be a Diesel H2. Until then, I will be keeping the Lightning.

GunninGopher
07-29-2007, 06:55 PM
I heard a rumor that the '09 model year was scheduled for a smaller diesel that would be available in the Suburban.
My wife wants either a Tahoe or Suburban next and I may be considering it if it comes out.

Havasu Hangin'
07-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Rumors were that the Allison trans wouldn't fit in the Sub tunnel?
After towing with a 1-ton Chevy, I'm not sure I'd want a 1-ton Sub...the dually setup made for a nice tow...even with lots on tongue wieght.
Duramax Dually Sub? Hmmmmm.....
:idea:

talkinghead
07-29-2007, 07:49 PM
I suspect that any diesels will be blue tech - meaning a particulate filter.

GunninGopher
07-30-2007, 04:41 AM
I suspect that any diesels will be blue tech - meaning a particulate filter.
Not necessarily with a filter, but definitely meeting new codes.
I was looking into when the diesel Sub's might come out in 2005 and the story then was that, just like in the Silverado, they had to put on a body lift to make the tranny fit, and they were max'd out at the Duramax factory anyways, so they didnt' feel it was worthwhile to go through the testing, just to have fewer engines to put in the trucks.
Besides, Ford discontinued the Excursion, so there was little competition.

bob briley
07-30-2007, 09:35 PM
why did ford discontinue it, was it that bad ?

uLtRADeNniS
07-30-2007, 09:48 PM
The price on those Duramax Burbs is kinda steep IMO. For $70k I think they should come with all the Banks Goodies and a set of 22"s.
I've researched because I would love to have one. There is talk of of Diesel Sub in 09 and I heard that in 08 there will be a Diesel H2. Until then, I will be keeping the Lightning.
Yah, We'll see... I remember hearing of a Duramax Yukon that was supposed to be released in 05. It would be such a great Idea if they made one.. (to compete with the Ford.)
On anther note.. How have you been brotha?! How was your trip? Wheres all the scenery pics?
I'll be in Topac on Friday. You gonna be up?

Beer-30
07-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Rumors were that the Allison trans wouldn't fit in the Sub tunnel?
The place that makes them (link above in third post) put on a 1" body lift to allow the tranny to fit.

GunninGopher
07-31-2007, 04:36 AM
Yah, We'll see... I remember hearing of a Duramax Yukon that was supposed to be released in 05. It would be such a great Idea if they made one.. (to compete with the Ford.)
Is Ford offereing a diesel in any SUV?
The place that makes them (link above in third post) put on a 1" body lift to allow the tranny to fit.
Yeah, and GM had to do that to the Silverado too, right? The difference is that when GM does it, they have to crash a ton of them for the Fed's.
GM knows that there is a market for a Diesel Suburban. An even bigger one now than there was when they were offering the 6.2. They just don't have the engine supply in the to justify the cost of doing it right now. Especially since there is really no competing truck on the market.
I mentioned earlier that I heard about a smaller diesel that might be coming for '09. I'll bet that if that rumor is true, it will have the 6 speed Hydramatic (not Allison)?

Beer-30
07-31-2007, 06:10 AM
[QUOTE=GunninGopher;2702806]Is Ford offereing a diesel in any SUV?/QUOTE]
Um, Excursion? Been making those for years. Basically, a 1-ton Suburban, but Ford.

ratso
07-31-2007, 06:17 AM
[QUOTE=Beer-30;2702870]
I thought Ford discontinued the Excursion.
No no no... That was the Centurion :D

westair
07-31-2007, 06:53 AM
[QUOTE=Beer-30;2702870]
I thought Ford discontinued the Excursion.
2005 was the last year .... I have an 04 Excursion diesel, best vehicle I've
ever owned. They will probably be back .... just a guess.

uLtRADeNniS
07-31-2007, 09:25 AM
When I bought my truck in Sept 06. There where 06 Excursion Diesels on the lot.:confused: I think they still make them with the powerstroke. I remember hearing the Excursion Model was going to be discontinued in 2002.... Well obviously that never happened. :D

GunninGopher
07-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Um, Excursion? Been making those for years. Basically, a 1-ton Suburban, but Ford.
When I bought my truck in Sept 06. There where 06 Excursion Diesels on the lot.:confused: I think they still make them with the powerstroke. I remember hearing the Excursion Model was going to be discontinued in 2002.... Well obviously that never happened. :D
Guys, the last Excursion was built in Sept. '05.
Their largest SUV is the Expedition. Look it up.

Mountainstone
07-31-2007, 10:56 AM
If you need a diesel SUV, price the Jeep Cherokee with the Bluetec or a Volkswagen Toureg with the 5-liter V-10 diesel. Neither is as big as the Excursion/Suburban, but maybe that's not a bad thing if you don't have a whole tribe of kids.
Personally, I am holding on to my Avalanche until Chevy drops the new small Duramax in one...

uLtRADeNniS
07-31-2007, 11:00 AM
If you need a diesel SUV, price the Jeep Cherokee with the Bluetec or a Volkswagen Toureg with the 5-liter V-10 diesel. Neither is as big as the Excursion/Suburban, but maybe that's not a bad thing if you don't have a whole tribe of kids.
Personally, I am holding on to my Avalanche until Chevy drops the new small Duramax in one...
What advantage does the Avalanche have over a 1500 crew cab, besides the plastic bed cover? I never understood them?:confused:

Beer-30
07-31-2007, 11:40 AM
What advantage does the Avalanche have over a 1500 crew cab, besides the plastic bed cover? I never understood them?:confused:
The plastic cover closes and becomes interior space if you desire. Or, you can leave it separated as outside cargo space (pickup bed).
Those you can get in 3/4-ton, also (gas only).

Beer-30
07-31-2007, 11:41 AM
The Expedition EL.
I wondered about that. It seemed that someone was mistaking a 1/2-ton for a 1-ton.

GunninGopher
07-31-2007, 12:33 PM
My buddy had an Avalanche until he bought a 2500 to haul a bigger boat. He loved that thing and said it rode like a Caddy. He just sold the boat so I wouldn't be suprised to see him roll up in one soon.

Mountainstone
07-31-2007, 01:44 PM
I have progressed from a regular cab pickup to an extended cab to a crew cab diesel and now the Avalanche. I hated the looks of them until I drove one and now I will likely never go back to a pickup after having the Av. The interior is identical to my former GMC crew cab pickup, but it does ride like a Cadillac compared to any pickup due to being mounted on a Suburban frame with coil rear springs (3/4-ton Avs have rear leafs). The weathertight bed is perfect for hauling groceries or camping gear, or I can pop off the hard tonneau covers to haul a fridge or I can tumble the rear seat forward and drop the midgate to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood and sheetrock. The turning circle is amazingly smaller than a pickup, tow rating is the same and I get 20-21 MPG unloaded on the freeway at 70mph. If I ever buy a BIG boat I will pick up a lightly used 3/4-ton Avalanche (Chevy doesn't make 2500 Avs any more) with the 8.1-liter engine and put a Raylar kit on it!

Mountainstone
07-31-2007, 01:47 PM
My buddy had an Avalanche until he bought a 2500 to haul a bigger boat. He loved that thing and said it rode like a Caddy. He just sold the boat so I wouldn't be suprised to see him roll up in one soon.
The new ones on the GMT900 architecture with a 6.0-liter are supposed to be awesome. I have to avert my eyes when I drive by the dealership so I am not tempted to trade up.

westair
07-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Guys, the last Excursion was built in Sept. '05.
Their largest SUV is the Expedition. Look it up.
Just to clarify this, the Expedition is their largest because they don't make the
Excursion anymore. The Excursion (diesel) has it beat in every category.