PDA

View Full Version : blown flappers!!

airboater67
07-29-2007, 07:32 PM
I have the classic trumpet style exhaust dumps with the rubber flapper, after about 2 hours of run time the rubbers blow right off. Any tricks to eliminate this? Currently working on making them hinge with a rubber backed stainless plate. any suggestions?

BUSBY
07-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Ponchatoula has the greatest strawberry festival! Man, what a party. Also miss the Prop Stop and their "Bucket of Worms" ... I need to make a trip back out there this spring.
Call Mike or Jason at Rex Marine www.rexmar.com or Rexone here on the boards ... thay should be able to fix you up and answer your question.

TahitiTiger
07-30-2007, 07:29 AM
I had the same thing happen to me. But what happened is I broke in the cam on my trailer. This resulted in me burning the flaps out of my trumpets. This happened cause there is no nice cool lake water to keep them cooled off. Plus my garden house doesn't flow more than 1 psi to my engine.
Give Tom a call at Jet Boat Performance that is where I got my replacement flaps.
Good luck

centerhill condor
07-30-2007, 07:58 AM
so do you run the little creeks bayous in that thing like James Bond in that movie?
I bet that's a blast!
CC

airboater67
07-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Yes, but as you can tell from the pics its still in the upholstery shop. that pic was the first time the boat has been in water in 15 years. I use my airboat to run the swamps. Yes strawberry fest. is getting bigger every year.... come one come ALL!! Thanks for all the info.

BUSBY
07-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Dude ... I love the bucket for a seat! Too funny ... you got big balls if you're driving it that way! Tell me that you took it for a cruise that way :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36019&d=1185852643

airboater67
07-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Yes we did. Brother had a bucket and i had a bucket. Wanted to get the bugs out before it got the upholstery. Good thing, cause i snapped a throttle cable on this run. Threw in some before pics. and some of upholstery.

BUSBY
07-31-2007, 07:22 PM
Yes we did. Brother had a bucket and i had a bucket. Wanted to get the bugs out before it got the upholstery. Good thing, cause i snapped a throttle cable on this run. Threw in some before pics. and some of upholstery.
Man that is too cool! LMAO :D
Looks like you took on a huge project ... good luck, and have fun running in those back basins & channels!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36058&d=1185934831

zgoo
07-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Nice Glastron! I have a 79 CV23 same color and had the same thing happen to me. Went to the best hardware store and bought some rubber and cut out a set in a few minutes and it only cost $1. for both.:D
zgoo

airboater67
07-31-2007, 08:36 PM
The problem is that the ones on there were only 2 hours old, Brand new. Working on a fix, i'll keep you posted.

bighead
08-08-2007, 12:46 PM
I made some from the liners of a semi truck tube tire, been there 3 seasons and still fine.

BrendellaJet
08-08-2007, 01:46 PM
thousands of boats run for years without replacing flappers. there is something else wrong.

asch
08-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Yep had the same thing happen. Replaced the old ones, 2-5/8" I believe, which were too small, and blew em off within a matter of minutes. Bought some 3" flappers and problem solved. Apparently the slightly larger diameter allows a tighter fit into the exhaust bell preventing the flapper from "sucking" backwards and eventually splitting apart. Be sure to use your old plates. The new ones most likely won't fit. You may even have to drill new holes into the new rubber in order to get the alignment right. I did.
I forget the name of the company, but you should be able to get them from Rex or any marine supply for around 10-20 bucks
Good Luck

snake321
08-08-2007, 01:57 PM
I cut back on my water while adjusting temps and lost mine. I bought new and then burned through the rubber hose that connects them to the logs. I don't know exactly when they went through, but when I stopped I sure knew about it. Water came in so dam fast I couldn't believe it. I dam near sank, punched it, went almost nose up from the weight in the back, got out in the channel and hauled ass to the boatyard and did big circles until the bilge pumped it out and then I beached it next to the ramp. Long story short----get more water to the exhaust.

asch
08-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Look at the bottom. That thing is getting chewed up from getting sucked back and forth over the lip. Now unless that's just some really crappy rubber, I think you'll find your problem solved with a larger, snugger fitting flapper.
BTW: My old, original flappers were beginning to look EXACTLY like that.
The new, larger flapper actually sits inside in the bell in a slightly concave shape along the edges providing and excellent seal. it's a little quieter now too. No more of that "flubbity-flubbity-flubbity" slapping sound at idle.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35929&d=1185766262

Mr. Crusader 83
08-08-2007, 02:46 PM
You dont need no stinkin plappers. Mine kept falling off. So i left them off. :jawdrop:

Screemy1
08-08-2007, 08:59 PM
I used rex marine's steel no burn flappers.... no probs... and used flush tips, so the transom is smooth and flat..... very happy hear:)

ck7684
08-14-2007, 06:35 AM
I just got my engine fired up and it blew the damn flappers right off. Brand new ones too. :mad: