PDA

View Full Version : Security cameras on a rental house?

djunkie
07-30-2007, 11:23 AM
After this weekend I'm thinking of having a couple exterior cameras mounted on my Havasu house. The problem I have is we rent to snowbirds. Is there some kind of law against this? We showed up to our house friday night to find someone had hit the house and caused some damage and I want to be able to make sure no one is using my driveway while we're gone. :( :(

Havasu1986
07-30-2007, 11:30 AM
I am thinking of doing the same and I have snowbirds also. I would think exterior would be okay. But not interior. :confused:

djunkie
07-30-2007, 11:36 AM
I am thinking of doing the same and I have snowbirds also. I would think exterior would be okay. But not interior. :confused:
I've been on the fence about this but now I think I wanna do it. I want 2 in the front and 1 or 2 in the back. If we have a pool put in then I want to be able to check on the back to make sure none of the neighbors are using it also.
Heres the damage we showed up to. :( :(
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35967&stc=1&d=1185824147
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35968&stc=1&d=1185824147

Havasu_Dreamin
07-30-2007, 11:40 AM
What about stretching a chain across the driveway when you leave? I've seen plenty of those and not only in Havasu.....

Havasu1986
07-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Was there any tire marks..or do you think someone hit it with a hammer.

djunkie
07-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Was there any tire marks..or do you think someone hit it with a hammer.
No new tires marks. When I back my boat in the driveway in leaves marks so I don't think that was it. We're now looking into the fumigation company we have. Our builder is gonna do some investigative work and go look at their trucks and see if he finds anything. :idea: :idea:

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-30-2007, 11:48 AM
we are putting them on the house in Parker. You can do as many as you want on the outside.

djunkie
07-30-2007, 11:48 AM
What about stretching a chain across the driveway when you leave? I've seen plenty of those and not only in Havasu.....
Ya we may have to now. Just sucks since my driveway is like 40 ft deep. Someone had to be way out of their way to hit it.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Ya we may have to now. Just sucks since my driveway is like 40 ft deep. Someone had to be way out of their way to hit it.
it was us. The boat and the truck didn't fit so we left..:D :D

YeLLowBoaT
07-30-2007, 11:50 AM
I would think if you disclose them, you should be fine.

djunkie
07-30-2007, 11:52 AM
I would think if you disclose them, you should be fine.
Ya I'm sure we'll have to do that. I was just curious if there was a law against it in Az. We're gonna call the rental agency and ask them too. We may not even be doing the snowbird deal this year anyways but if we do I wanna be prepared in case.

djunkie
07-30-2007, 11:52 AM
it was us. The boat and the truck didn't fit so we left..:D :D
:mad: :D :D :D

Havasu_Dreamin
07-30-2007, 11:53 AM
It would be cheaper than a video camera as you would not need the internet connectivity for real time updates.....We thought of putting in a camera at the new house as well but decided agaisnt it as we can't justify the $50 per month DSL service for 6 days per month.....

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-30-2007, 11:54 AM
:mad: :D :D :D
LOL!! sorry about the house.. Maybe someone that was working on it like you had said or thought.. I am sure the builder will take care of it.. and I am sure no one saw anything right..

Quest4Fun
07-30-2007, 11:55 AM
After this weekend I'm thinking of having a couple exterior cameras mounted on my Havasu house. The problem I have is we rent to snowbirds. Is there some kind of law against this? We showed up to our house friday night to find someone had hit the house and caused some damage and I want to be able to make sure no one is using my driveway while we're gone. :( :(
Have you asked the neighbors if they have seen anything unusual at your house?
I would think outdoor cameras would be fine especially if you post a sign indicating they are there.

djunkie
07-30-2007, 11:57 AM
LOL!! sorry about the house.. Maybe someone that was working on it like you had said or thought.. I am sure the builder will take care of it.. and I am sure no one saw anything right..
Have you asked the neighbors if they have seen anything unusual at your house?
I would think outdoor cameras would be fine especially if you post a sign indicating they are there.
I have a fulltime neighbor behind us. Hes one of those nosy retired guys but always lets us know if he ever see's anything. Unfortunately he can't see the garage from his house and he saw nothing. :(

djunkie
07-30-2007, 11:58 AM
It would be cheaper than a video camera as you would not need the internet connectivity for real time updates.....We thought of putting in a camera at the new house as well but decided agaisnt it as we can't justify the $50 per month DSL service for 6 days per month.....
Ya I know. We've still gotta look into it. Luckily my brother owns half the house so he'll be splitting the cost with me. If we ever do a pool we will for sure have one to watch it.

socalmoney
07-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Depending on your setback etc, you could always ask your neighbor across your street to point a camera at your house on their Internet connection. Access it via the web. We did that with my sister in law's house because it was getting egged. Better view from across the street. You can see passing cars much better also.

YeLLowBoaT
07-30-2007, 12:02 PM
I've got a little camera at my place, it was only about 100, hooks up to the pc, it was very ez to set up... sadly if some one ever breaks in and takes the comp... then I won't have any video.

djunkie
07-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Depending on your setback etc, you could always ask your neighbor across your street to point a camera at your house on their Internet connection. Access it via the web. We did that with my sister in law's house because it was getting egged. Better view from across the street. You can see passing cars much better also.
I don't think that'll be an option since both the house across the street are rentals. :( Plus I'm not ruling out the chance they may be involved. They have huge steep drive ways and I would put it against them that they may use my driveway to park in.

Jbb
07-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Coming Spring 2008.........Snowbirds gone wild......:jawdrop:

YeLLowBoaT
07-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Coming Spring 2008.........Snowbirds gone wild......:jawdrop:
Note to self... remove eyes before spring 08

OutCole'd
07-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Since when do you care if there legal on the outside?? It did not stop you from putting them on the inside you sick fock!:D
You should be ashamed of your self!

phebus
07-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Let me know when you put them in so I can come over and give you a b/a. :D

Cole Trickle
Since when do you care if there legal on the outside?? It did not stop you from putting them on the inside you sick fock!:D
This post scares me!!!!:eek: ;)

djunkie
Let me know when you put them in so I can come over and give you a b/a. :D
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :mad: :D

djunkie
07-30-2007, 12:23 PM
This post scares me!!!!:eek: ;)
Luckily your a little guy and the cameras don't zoom. Plus we're only interested in checking Jen out anyways. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D

Cole Trickle
07-30-2007, 12:24 PM
The damage is about the same height as Phebus's swim step!!???:eek: :D :idea:

Cole Trickle
07-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Luckily your a little guy and the cameras don't zoom. Plus we're only interested in checking Jen out anyways. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D
I just don't want you to get mad after you see what we did in that room!!!:D:D;)
It's nothing a little gas and paint can't fix...lol

djunkie
07-30-2007, 12:25 PM
The damage is about the same height as Phebus's swim step!!???:eek: :D :idea:
Or Outcoled's forehead. Maybe he was over there head butting my wall. :idea: :D :D

Cole Trickle
07-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Or Outcoled's forehead. Maybe he was over there head butting my wall on his tippy toes wearing platform shoes. :idea: :D :D
fixed it for ya;)

djunkie
07-30-2007, 12:27 PM
I just don't want you to get mad after you see what we did in that room!!!:D:D;)
It's nothing a little gas and paint can't fix...lol
Were you rubbing your ass on the carpet like a dog or something? :rolleyes: :D :D

yopengo
07-30-2007, 12:28 PM
I know riverratz sells systems.... has anyone used the Qsee system they sell at Costco?

djunkie
07-30-2007, 12:31 PM
I know riverratz sells systems.... has anyone used the Qsee system they sell at Costco?
I'm really considering his setup. Its looks like what we want. Just wanna make sure it won't interfere with the renters.

Cole Trickle
Were you rubbing your ass on the carpet like a dog or something? :rolleyes: :D :D
why?:idea: ;) :devil:

OutCole'd
Or Outcoled's forehead. Maybe he was over there head butting my wall. :idea: :D :D
fixed it for ya;)
LMAO!!
Bitches.

djunkie
07-30-2007, 12:32 PM
why?:idea: ;) :devil:
You may have worms ya filthy bastard........:jawdrop: :D

djunkie
07-30-2007, 12:33 PM
LMAO!!
Bitches.
:jawdrop: :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Cole Trickle
07-30-2007, 12:33 PM
You may have worms ya filthy bastard........:jawdrop: :D
lol.....no worries your carpet is worse off than me:D

jbone
07-30-2007, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=djunkie;2701200]I've been on the fence about this but now I think I wanna do it. I want 2 in the front and 1 or 2 in the back. If we have a pool put in then I want to be able to check on the back to make sure none of the neighbors are using it also.
Heres the damage we showed up to. :( :(
Sounds like you want the "Shocker Surveillance System.":D

a catered life
07-30-2007, 12:47 PM
so cal was telling me about a system thru at&t...they provide the cameras, some are panable, they even provide a wireless set up to turn on and off lights remotely....things sure have changed since i put in my cameras:idea:

superdave013
07-30-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm really considering his setup. Its looks like what we want. Just wanna make sure it won't interfere with the renters.
why would it interfere? I think it would be a bonus. Heck, if their car / RV gets broken into you will have it on camera. I would use the extra security as a perk they get when renting from you.

Cole Trickle
07-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Where do you store the video?
I have heard mention of online viewing but who would be lucky enough to be viewing there house when something happens.
Wouldn't you need a motion sensor that starts the recording?

vee-driven
07-30-2007, 01:16 PM
My friends and i would be more than happy to work security for the property when you or the snow birds arent using the house, before and after we get off the lake that is. Of course no charge!

OutCole'd
07-30-2007, 01:19 PM
I have heard mention of online viewing but who would be lucky enough to be viewing there house when something happens.
Can this work like the Agave cam? So we can all sign on & make fun of Dave trying to back his boat in the garage for the 8th time??:D

djunkie
07-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Can this work like the Agave cam? So we can all sign on & make fun of Dave trying to back his boat in the garage for the 8th time??:D
Just ask Brandin how well I back up a trailer. Hell its what I do for a living. :D :D

OutCole'd
07-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Just ask Brandin how well I back up a trailer. Hell its what I do for a living. :D :D
Ya, but I doubt you are drunk off your ass at work all day...:D :D

AZJD
07-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Ya I'm sure we'll have to do that. I was just curious if there was a law against it in Az. We're gonna call the rental agency and ask them too. We may not even be doing the snowbird deal this year anyways but if we do I wanna be prepared in case.
I ran my vespa into it!:D :D :D
I may need a house rental for Labor Day if you are not using it....Let me know!

hoolign
07-30-2007, 01:34 PM
I want 2 in the front and 1 or 2 in the back.
:eek: :eek: My god man...So 2 in the Dmouthie and a few more in the Djunkie :2purples:

djunkie
07-30-2007, 01:41 PM
I ran my vespa into it!:D :D :D
I may need a house rental for Labor Day if you are not using it....Let me know!
Unless your a retired grey hair and want it for 4 months during the winter that would be a no!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!

Devilman
07-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Sounds like you want the "Shocker Surveillance System.":D
LOL :D :D :D

Hardly Satisfied
07-30-2007, 05:12 PM
That Sucks

BOBALOO
07-30-2007, 07:28 PM
PM Trojandan on the boards, he just had cameras put in his Havi house. But he does not rent it out. He could give you the installers name and #.

Ziggy
07-30-2007, 07:40 PM
I don't think that'll be an option since both the house across the street are rentals. :( Plus I'm not ruling out the chance they may be involved. They have huge steep drive ways and I would put it against them that they may use my driveway to park in.
Maybe they had something roll down their driveway

a catered life
07-30-2007, 10:48 PM
there is a motion sensor that will record data directly to a hard drive

Riveratz
07-31-2007, 02:58 PM
PM Trojandan on the boards, he just had cameras put in his Havi house. But he does not rent it out. He could give you the installers name and #.
That would be me..
If anyone is interested get some quotes from others here in town and you will see that I am way cheaper than the others with my 1599.00 offer. If you go with the local cable company for internet it is 39.99 a month and they offer static IP addresses...
Seriously though, if you have any questions feel free to ask. We also do the automatic lights, etc, across the internet.
This brochure shows 2 dome cameras but you can go with 4 bullets also.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36050&stc=1&d=1185922679

Dave C
07-31-2007, 03:22 PM
be a pal and put them fawkers pointed at the shower and rent that house out to some spring breakers and link that video here......:D

driverno8
07-31-2007, 03:41 PM
be a pal and put them fawkers pointed at the shower and rent that house out to some spring breakers and link that video here......:D
I agree!:D

Jyruiz
07-31-2007, 04:05 PM
That sucks Dave, hope you find you did it.