PDA

View Full Version : Top Mount Starter Question

spectratoad
07-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Trying to figure out how to put a top mount starter in the boat.
It is a 21 Spectra with a 460. It has the three point mount. I currently have the lower mounted starter and I just seem to be going through alot of them and I assume because of the moisture being in the lower area.
It has a plate up on top to remove and I am told this is for the top mount starter????
Which starter would I use and do I need to do anything with the ring gear, flexplate etc.....?
Thanks for the info.
Todd

Cas
07-30-2007, 12:13 PM
call Rex Marine, order the top mount starter, send them about $400.00 and you'll get it in a few days :)
So long as the gear on the starter matches the ring gear on the flex plate, you're good to go.

Sleeper CP
07-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Spectra I'm about to save you $ 396.00 so if this works for you, you can send me 1/2 of it for Christmas.
I used to go through 2-3 starters a season, did this for 3 years. I was in a local boat shop and asked about ordering a top mount starter, the nice lady behind the counter at Sundown Marine says to me " save yourself the money and go to the auto parts store and buy one of those big car wash sponges. One of those fluffy ones about 10" long and 5" fat and stick it under your starter at the bellhousing and oil pan. You got about a 80% chance that it will solve your problem."
The next starter from AutoZone lasted me 6 years. I think about her every time I turn the key in my boat. Its worth a shot.
Sleeper CP

spectratoad
07-30-2007, 02:44 PM
call Rex Marine, order the top mount starter, send them about $400.00 and you'll get it in a few days :)
So long as the gear on the starter matches the ring gear on the flex plate, you're good to go.
Steve, I was hoping for some better info. :D or at least cheaper.
CP, I might try a route like that at least for the rest of this season. Then I can pull the motor out and get it all dialed in without impeading the lake time.