PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Marine AZ sucks!!!!! My horrible experience...

Magic34
07-30-2007, 02:11 PM
My Horrible Experience with Extreme Marine AZ in Phoenix
First, I hate doing this post. This is not my style to rip on a business, but I cant take it anymore. I am a VERY easygoing guy, probably too much.
Chuck had 1 last chance today to make it right today, and blew it again, which was about the 10th time, so here is my story. I was PROMISED on Saturday that he would be there to finish it on Monday, no BS as I was told.
A few friends on here know the story, but I donÂ’t want anyone to speculate about another shop and hurt their reputation, so here is my experience. IÂ’ll start at the beginning including the reason why I used them in the first place.
Back in March of 2005, I almost bought a Formula 382 FasTech and I sent the boat to Extreme Marine to have it checked out. 1 of the motors, which were 500efi with whipples, was low on compression. They gave me very upfront info, and even had to replace an impeller which they ate the charge on in order to do the test. I was very happy with their upfront honesty back in 2005. I didnÂ’t buy that boat because of the test, and ordered my #2 34Â’ Magic cat.
So, now it comes time to use them again with my “new to me” Formula 370SS. 40 hours are on this boat. I went to them because the guy who runs the shop also used to work for the Formula dealer in town. I thought this was a great fit. The shop was great with me before AND he knows the boat.
I used the boat for about 5 hours on 1 day after I got it, than put it in a hanger at Deer Valley airport knowing that Extreme Marine was close by, within 5 miles or so.
I had an appointment to get the following items done on May 21, 2007. They needed to pick it up and take it to their shop. Here is my list:
Repairs to be made:
1. Fix port side marks in paint, smooth and blend paint.
2. Fix mark on bottom of boat on port side, located on one of the steps in the hull, just before fender of trailer (about a quarter-sized black mark).
3. Look at all surface scratches on boat and repair.
4. Top side of arch, scratches and any holes fixed.
5. Mount satellite hinge, fold back and unit must not exceed 90 degrees. Hinge is being shipped to Extreme Marine today from Seattle.
6. Generator not pumping water out exhaust, impeller? Please order 3 extra impellers for me to keep on boat.
7. Generator needs coolant, reservoir empty.
8. Repair stain in carpet under refrigerator in cabin.
9. Cockpit cover started to tear at a seam, located on the cover where it sits at the right of the helm, on side.
10. The roller that the anchor sits on has a big pin and is missing a cotter pin to hold it in, please replace missing pin.
11. Windshield wipers need new blades.
12. Starting issues with the shifters not catching neutral. WonÂ’t turn over many times when boat is in neutral; ignition is not recognizing it being in neutral.
I already had the paint from Formula to fix item #1, and I had the hinge in item #5 sent directly to them. The hinge arrived before my boat did. You can see that this list is a fairly minor one, with the paint being the most major part. No broken motors/drives, etc.
So, my appointment was for the Monday before Memorial Day weekend. I was not going to use the boat for quite some time because my wife was in the final weeks of her pregnancy and we could not use the boat until the baby was 6 weeks old, and my wife had healed for 6 weeks after her C-Section.
So looking at the calendar, that first special day to really “use” the new boat was Saturday July 28, 2007. This was the day that we were really able to use all of the functions of this boat, those same functions being the reason we purchased it. My boating season didn’t start until this day, or at least was supposed to.
So, that week goes by, and my boat doesn’t get picked up. No problem, I understand. Memorial Day weekend is a huge weekend for boaters, so get those other ones taken care of since I am not going to be out there. Well, week 2 goes by… now comes week 3. My boat gets picked up from the hanger and goes inside of the shop. Cool, it is inside, great news. I figured that it was going to stay clean that way because it was spotless when they picked it up. I ask what the bill will be now that they have seen the boat. Jokingly, I am told “a lot” and normally you would run, but then I was told it wont be bad, and that I would get an estimate.
Now it is the week of June 4. On Thursday (6/7) of that week, I drive down to the shop (about 35-40 miles 1 way) and see what is up with my boat. Our baby wasnÂ’t being delivered until June 15 and I had 6 weeks after that. I knew they had some time to get everything done, and I wanted to check out the BBQ that he suggested and had in stock.
I get there and the main blemish on the port side (item #1) had been sprayed but not sanded and buffed. That was the only noticeable thing that I could see had been done. I was told the generator impeller was replaced, but I am unsure of that until I try and use it. The interior of my boat was very dirty and someone had walked all over the seats with shoes to work on the arch, no ladder and towels or blankets. I express that I expect it as clean as it was when it was picked up.
OK, so I leave thinking that they have more than enough time to get everything else done. Time goes by, we have the baby, and the week of 4th of July, I go to the shop again to check progressÂ… That was 4 weeks later than my last visitÂ…. Mind you, items 9, 10, & 11 were a total of 30 minutes combined fix time.
Not 1 thing had been accomplished since I was last there. Stupid things like the mount that goes on my swim platform for my BBQ, I wanted that polished and expressed that last time I was there, it still wasnÂ’t done. I was told that they had an extra one at the polisher. Guess which one is on my boat now? At his time, I inform them that I will be picking up the boat on July 11, and I am reassured that everything will be done.
I make an appointment at my stereo shop to get the boat in the week of July 9, so they have ample time to get that all done.
So, here is July 11, and I call to see what the status is. He has had access to my boat for 8 weeks at this point, and physically had it in the shop for 6 weeks. I am told tomorrow being July 12. I tell him that I will be there first thing to pick it up. I get a call later in the afternoon of the 11th and told that it wont be until late afternoon on the 12th. I am starting to get the picture here. I was leaving town at noon on the 12th but didnÂ’t say anything about it, just tried to keep the pressure onÂ… yeah, that didnÂ’t work. I got a call after lunch time after I was 30 miles out of town heading up north. I am told that it wont be ready until Friday. I inform them that I am leaving town and now donÂ’t need it until MondayÂ… Another mistake. We make arrangements to get it Monday. I talked to them Friday afternoon, and guess what, Monday wont work, not ready. At this point it is July 16. They have had access to my boat for 9 weeks at this point and my boat has physically been there almost 7 weeks. In between all of this the last 2 weeks, I ask again what my bill is literally 10 times, and am told that heÂ’ll get back to me.
July 16: I call and see what time, and am told that afternoon. I ask again what my bill was, and am told that he needs to total it up and he will call me back. So hours go by and at about 1 PM, I call again and ask what my bill was. I was told $1700. I then asked how much for a lightweight cover to fit my bow? A get a call back and am told $400. So, I am looking around $2100-$2200 total plus any tax. I tell them to make the cover after I am told they need 2 days tops to get it done.
Now Wednesday July 18, I call let them know I will be there at 1 PM. I didnÂ’t want to hit traffic with it, so a 5 PM pickup was out of the question. I am told the cover is taking a little longer and that is our only hold up. I am then told that Thursday is the day. Guess what happens ThursdayÂ… I am told Friday.
At this time, I tell them that I will be there at 1 PM on Friday to pick it up regardless of it being done or not. I arrive right on time and my boat is sitting out there. Boat cover on, looks great and I start looking at items on my list.
- Boat cover looks good
- Cockpit cover finally stitched up (this was a 3” tear) good
- Paint done including bottom repairs, but cant really tell as this side of the boat was shaded. They also missed a few spots that I really wanted repaired.
- Windshield wipers replaced
- Cotter pin replaced (10 cent part and 30 second install)
- I am told the genny is good, still donÂ’t know that
- BBQ and custom BBQ bag look great, actually the bag is the nicest thing they did
Here is where I start to get pissedÂ…
The BBQ mount installed is not polished. The boat is COVERED in overspray. The top half of a 37’ boat that is 10’ 6” wide has overspray all over it!!! This really pisses me off being that I take pride in having a very smooth finished boat. The hinge of my satellite and cut down radar mount, not done and I have not seen them. I am told that they are at the powder coater. Hmmm, hope so. The stain in the carpet, which was the #1 thing my wife wanted fixed, not done. The carpet was supposed to get dyed, then after that wasn’t done in the first 6 weeks, I told them to simply replace it. Again, I was told no problem. Yeah right.
The main paint work, which was the #1 reason I took it there has white streaks all under the clear. It looks like a$$!!!! So, essentially that didnÂ’t get done.
I had also asked for some flag mounts for my trailer, and when I picked the boat up, they were not on there, guess where those wereÂ… The powder coater was the answer. We are talking about a pair of parts for $30, this should be easy in 8+ weeks.
So, I get the bill and it is $3200!!!! WTF??? I was expecting $2400 or $2500 worse case scenario, but $3200??? I was told that he didn’t really add it all up except in his head and when he put it on paper, it was a lot more. I asked at least 13 times, no BS, what my bill was and when I finally got an answer after begging for what my bill was going to be and told $1700 plus the cover, it is $1000 more than I was told 5 days prior!!! Since it wasn’t done, I paid ½ and said when the rest was complete I would pay the remaining. I am told that they will be at the stereo shop on Wednesday to complete everything else. This is the mounts on my radar arch, carpet replacement, and now claybar my boat. I am giving up on the polished part and additional paint repairs with them. That $400 cover I was told, ended up $550 too. Pretty far off in terms of %, even though it is only $150.
I am now really behind at the stereo shop but drop it off anyways hoping it can get done. I get it in there at 3:30 PM on Friday (7/20). I am a full week behind on what the stereo shop told me they needed.
Now, the stereo shop cant get a hold of me until late Monday afternoon because I was in Vegas in meetings and then headed to Utah to get my truck. I get the estimate and tell them to get it all done. So they start Tuesday on the boat, way behind thanks to Extreme Marine. I arrive at the stereo shop on Wednesday to have my new truck tinted, and was expecting to see Extreme Marine there finishing my boat. Hahahaha NOPE!!!
I call and am told that they will be there on Thursday. Well, the stereo shop is closed down until 1 PM on Thursday to film the “Eric Byrnes Show” that airs on FSN. I tell Extreme Marine that they are good to go at 1 PM. I call at 1:30 and see if he is there yet, and they tell me they were waiting to hear from me. Go figure, they wont be there Thursday. Friday comes, and guess what, I am told he’ll be there, but never showed.
The stereo shop only had 3 days to get my boat done and it wasnÂ’t enough. Regardless, Extreme Marine as of 7/28 (which is the date I picked back in March to finally go to the lake) isnÂ’t even done with the boat.
I was going to dispute some charges on my credit card, but for what, a few hundred bucks? I just am cutting my losses and moving on.
I have now heard many stories of disappointment from this shop. People told me not to go there, but I thought that everything was so simple on my boat, it couldnÂ’t get screwed up or not finished. I wasnÂ’t rebuilding a motor or drive, nothing major. I know a few things going on with the place and I can offer this adviceÂ…
If you are scheduling your boat to be worked on there for anything, pick a different shop. If you have a boat or parts down there right now, go get them as you are running out of time. Trust me on this one, 2 weeks tops. Even if they were going to be around longer, I would never use them again.
I messed up. I should have taken it to Power Marine in Phoenix. In 5 years Power marine has NEVER done me wrong and now that I tried using a different shop, I regret it 10 fold. I was always treated AWESOME at Power Marine. In 5 years, not 1 complaint. I really should have stuck with the ones who had always treated me right.

CMac
07-30-2007, 02:29 PM
WOW, sorry you had so much trouble.
I'll stick with SCM.:D

lake p.a.l.
07-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems. I know I will NEVER do business with them after hearing this and a few other stories. Good luck.

Magic34
07-30-2007, 02:36 PM
WOW, sorry you had so much trouble.
I'll stick with SCM.:D
Who do you deal with there? I still need to get my carpet repaired. it is a section no more than 6" tall and about 20 inches wide on an end. hiding seams would be easy.
I called there today and talked to Dale. He has the personality of a nat. I guess I need to talk to Jeff.

LAFD
07-30-2007, 02:41 PM
damn thats a whole lotta writing. sounds like you got the royal shaft. definitly not good. hope you can get it all worked out.

RitcheyRch
07-30-2007, 02:48 PM
That sucks. Amazing how it seems something so simple can get all screwed up.

USCFAN
07-30-2007, 02:49 PM
I hate it when stuff like that happens. You would think that these shops would give you a day and honor it, especially with the amount of time that they had to complete the job.

JryLineman
07-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Shops these days really don't give an ass about customers boats. Everytime I took my old SleekCraft into the Indian school store it came back dirty, dings on the trailer, and overspray. Hopefully you got everything straightened out

Mattman
07-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Sucks to hear but how's the new rig you picked up??

Magic34
07-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Sucks to hear but how's the new rig you picked up??
The truck is awesome. I was really excited to try it out last weekend with the boat, but everyone reading this knows that story now.
I will give it a shot on Sunday.

HALLETT BOY
07-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm just curious, why did you not go to Power Marine if you were so happy with them ? I run an auto repair shop and often wonder why some people don't come back ...you see them a while later and hear about their horror stories...

No Name
07-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Shops these days really don't give an ass about customers boats. Everytime I took my old SleekCraft into the Indian school store it came back dirty, dings on the trailer, and overspray. Hopefully you got everything straightened out
Sad but true. :mad: ThatÂ’s why I do all my own work. I know that it will be done right and wonÂ’t be trashed when IÂ’m done.
Sorry to hear about your troubles Magic34.:(

Magic34
07-30-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm just curious, why did you not go to Power Marine if you were so happy with them ? I run an auto repair shop and often wonder why some people don't come back ...you see them a while later and hear about their horror stories...
Because I kind of felt like I should use the guy once. My list wasn't difficult by any means, and the guy running the shop knew Formula Boats very well. It really did make sense at the beginning.

Magic34
07-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Sad but true. :mad: ThatÂ’s why I do all my own work. I know that it will be done right and wonÂ’t be trashed when IÂ’m done.
Sorry to hear about your troubles Magic34.:(
Do all of your own work you say??? Hmmm, whatcha doing next Saturday? :D I need a satellite dome hinged. I have all the parts. I've had them for 11 weeks.

Legal Chemistry
07-30-2007, 03:14 PM
That sucks to hear about your experience... I lost a good portion of my season last year for repairs: 3 months and $! later I was able to hit the water (rebuild pump and new head). :mad:
I'm sure there will be another side, but you'll never go back and now the word is out... Hope you can enjoy the rest of the summer.

No Name
07-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Do all of your own work you say??? Hmmm, whatcha doing next Saturday? :D I need a satellite dome hinged. I have all the parts. I've had them for 11 weeks.
Unfortunately IÂ’ll be in Havasu this weekend. :D Did you already pull the boat from Chuck?

Magic34
07-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Power Marine has worked on the following boats for me: 29' Wizard, 34 Cat #1, 28' cat, 34 cat #2, and a Nordic.
Every single time the boats come back perfect. :confused:

Magic34
07-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Unfortunately IÂ’ll be in Havasu this weekend. :D Did you already pull the boat from Chuck?
Hell Yes... At stereo shop now and I want to try and get it finished this week while it is in their shop. They have plenty of room. It is a 23,000 sq ft shop, so I have some room to work on it. Going there tomorrow to take some parts of to get modified.

No Name
07-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Power Marine has worked on the following boats for me: 29' Wizard, 34 Cat #1, 28' cat, 34 cat #2, and a Nordic.
And I thought I owned a lot of boats.

Magic34
07-30-2007, 03:22 PM
That sucks to hear about your experience... I lost a good portion of my season last year for repairs: 3 months and $! later I was able to hit the water (rebuild pump and new head). :mad:
I'm sure there will be another side, but you'll never go back and now the word is out... Hope you can enjoy the rest of the summer.
Another side??? Seriously, I am a business owner, meaning I understand how there are always 3 sides to a story and I wrote this thing as frickin accurate as can be. There is seriouly no other way to look at it other than how it is written above. My boat sat in the middle bay for 8 weeks. Many members here saw it sitting in there.
I called the guy on Saturday after he no-showed me 3 times the week before. He said he would be there on Monday. I talked to him 4 times today and each time he said he was heading out there in a little bit. Well, at 3 PM, I knew it wasn't happening. He had a 30+ minute drive and that left a little more than an hour for all of the items to be done.
At that point I told him to forget it, I am going to plan B and moving on. He was never going to finish my boat.
The only thing that I could be blamed for was adding the cover, but then again I was told 2 days. Also, if I would have had my estimate much sooner, I could have told them to build it at least a week prior.

Magic34
07-30-2007, 03:23 PM
And I thought I owned a lot of boats.
You know... My dually would look sick pulling your boat! :D

No Name
07-30-2007, 03:32 PM
You know... My dually would look sick pulling your boat! :D
I can bring it back from Havasu Sunday night and drop it off at your house if you like. :D :D

Magic34
07-30-2007, 03:34 PM
I can bring it back from Havasu Sunday night and drop it off at your house if you like. :D :D
While you are at, just take my truck too and let me know how it does with the boat. Take them both :D I am switching your name to "No Problem" not No Name.
Edit: Drop off $40k and it can just go to your house.

Bella
07-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Louie
I am sorry that you feel that way! I wish you would have said something and I would of handled it immediately. See you on the water....slow down to say hi to us.
Brett
Oh and by the way for the record....we do care!!
I would bet Chuck included. Sorry to hear it came to this.

Magic34
07-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Louie
I am sorry that you feel that way! I wish you would have said something and I would of handled it immediately. See you on the water....slow down to say hi to us.
Brett
Oh and by the way for the record....we do care!!
Both of these statements I put in bold are the truth. Very rare it seems in this town with marine repair.
I should have brought it to you Brett. My sh*t would have been right 8 weeks ago.

Magic34
07-30-2007, 05:11 PM
That sucks. Amazing how it seems something so simple can get all screwed up.
Getting lied to didn't help either.

CMac
07-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Who do you deal with there? I still need to get my carpet repaired. it is a section no more than 6" tall and about 20 inches wide on an end. hiding seams would be easy.
I called there today and talked to Dale. He has the personality of a nat. I guess I need to talk to Jeff.
Yep, Jeff or Jeff, LOL. There are two and both are the best. The leader of the clan in the back is John. John takes a little gettin used to, but he's good.

126driver
07-30-2007, 05:56 PM
I hate it when stuff like that happens.
I hate it when they set their phuckin alarm off every single day at 6am:mad: Damn dummies, can't figure it out? My yard/office is about three doors down from them. Their alarm goes off all the time, lol.

Magic34
07-30-2007, 05:59 PM
I hate it when they set their phuckin alarm off every single day at 6am:mad: Damn dummies, can't figure it out? My yard/office is about three doors down from them. Their alarm goes off all the time, lol.
You'll only have to deal with it a few more days.
EDIT: What the hell they doing three at 6 AM? I can guarantee you it isn't working, especially on my sh*t.

GHT
07-30-2007, 07:25 PM
boy oh boy... You held it in for a long time and KA-BLOOOOEYYYY...
Guess I'll go back and read the whole thread prior to any comments... It's something new I'm trying out..:D

Boa1277
07-30-2007, 07:44 PM
I hate to say this, but you should have told them you needed it the week after Memorial day, that way you might have had it for the 4th of July. That is a true horror story. The guy took full advantage of you being up front and honest with him...what a joke! I will make sure and tell all of my friends to stay away....

Mandelon
07-30-2007, 07:59 PM
The boat probably didn't take that long to build new as it took them to not finish repairing those minor items... :mad:

Baja Big Dog
07-30-2007, 08:06 PM
I wish I had your money...so I could walk away from some bottom feeder that screwed me on some repairs...IMO its not just the money, its the principal that you let them screw you.....:mad:

Legal Chemistry
07-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Another side??? .
I'm feeling for you... I think you took it all wrong. I completely see where you are coming from. You got focked on this one, no way around it. Hopefully by letting people know (just as you are here) others will spread the word. I guess hindsight is 20/20...:mad:
I'm finding more and more that the boating industry is much smaller than I imagined -these kinds of things will get around and they'll eventually pay the piper.

squirt'nmyload
07-30-2007, 08:16 PM
thats it:confused: i've got an ultimate set of tools....we could've got most of that stuff done in a day :)

soupersonic
07-30-2007, 08:28 PM
They did this to me in 03. I took the Sonic in for a few things. It took 2 weeks to get the name painted on the transom and a bimini (which blew off at 40 mph) and the rest of the time i was getting lied to about parts being there and being wrong blah blah w/e I went and got the boat.I wanted a generator and air.Chuck gave a great story how great they were and them and olny them could get the genset in there. OK hotshot ill be outa town for 6 weeks. When i come back we were going to go to Powell for a week and tryout the new stuff.He told me its done ,come and get it. I packed for Powell. The wife and I showed up to get it and he said sorry we didnt get to it. I said WTF you mean you didnt get to it,you just told me a hour ago it was finished? He said "well atleast im not charging you!!" :rolleyes:
I cant fuggin believe this shop stays in business
I feel your pain Mike :mad:

OverKill
07-30-2007, 08:29 PM
You know you wernt asking for alot to be done. I know a great guy that does gel coat. I hit rocks at Saguaro and F**Ked up my bottom pretty bad. He had it done in a week for half the price the big guys wanted. Also a perfect match, can't even tell what happened. Between Him and Phil Bergeron, Maybe a week to get all your stuff done. Not no F**King 11 weeks. For real let me know if you want to get your Gel Coat done right and on time, I will get you in touch with Pat.
EXTREME MARINE YOUR COMPANY IS A P.O.S. HURRY UP AND GO OUT OF BUSINESS. NO NEED FOR YOUR KIND HERE. YOU RIMIND ME OF STANDARD MACHINE THAT SCREWED OVER MY BUDDY A FEW YEARS AGO.
F**KERS

Cole Sanger
07-30-2007, 09:37 PM
This sounds like every shop (car/boat/machine/etc.) that I have ever been to. 10 years ago, you atleast got 1 good service from people. Today, you get screwed right off the bat.
Magic, I had a similar problem with Darner. Had my boat in for a proactive drive look through. Dropped it off in late December 06 and got it back in late March 07. Simple two day job for any shop. Called over 20 times. Multiple times got the same story - it will be done tomorrow.

Sooooeat
07-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Cole Sanger - you had a problem with Darner as well. I took my jet in for oil change in May of 06. Drove the 25 miles one way only to find a sign on the front door that says went to drag race in wherever, be back in a week. I was pissed. Whats worse when I finally got a hold of someone they just acted like it was not there fault. I ended up taking it back the next week and he does the oil change at no cost. Iam like ok I will give the guy a pass. Fast forward to May of 07, I have an appointment to get the jet ready for the upcoming season. I drove my 25 miles to get there and to my surprise nobody is at the shop again. I waited for 2 hours thinking he is cought in traffic, slept in, ect.. That was the last time I will go to Darner. I now go to Doc Jets. Anybody have info on Doc Jet?

Devil's Advocate
07-30-2007, 10:04 PM
While you are at, just take my truck too and let me know how it does with the boat. Take them both :D I am switching your name to "No Problem" not No Name.
Edit: Drop off $40k and it can just go to your house.
He's trying to off the damn thing already:rolleyes: :D Sorry to hear about the mess they left. That really stinks.:(

Ivan Dan
07-30-2007, 10:35 PM
I wish I had your money...so I could walk away from some bottom feeder that screwed me on some repairs...IMO its not just the money, its the principal that you let them screw you.....:mad:
I believe Michael said he only paid them 1/2 the $$ for the bill. If so, it still sounds like he paid too much with the crappy quality of work they did (or didn't:D) do.

Magic34
07-31-2007, 06:37 AM
I believe Michael said he only paid them 1/2 the $$ for the bill. If so, it still sounds like he paid too much with the crappy quality of work they did (or didn't:D) do.
Correct, my total bill was $3108 after I was told it would be $2100 or so. I paid 1/2 of $3108 for a total of $1554.00.
Did I overpay, that could be argued with the shop I am sure. I added up everything that I was at least somewhat satisfied with and it came up to $1525. That was overallowing above any estimates he gave me, like $400 for the cover, I paid $550.
So, I may have overpaid a couple hundred bucks, but I am not fighting it. I'll get mine, he'll get his one day. Wonder who will be worse off?
I did get a good cover for the bow, a great BBQ and custom bag for the BBQ which turned out great, they "say" the generator is fixed.. I'll know on Sunday. I am told there are also 3 extra impellers on my boat, I need to look for them, and a couple of marks in the white were repaired.
I would have paid the $3108 if everything was right. I am more pissed that I had 10 weeks of downtime wasted. Does the money bother me, yes. Trust me, I dont have any to throw away. However, my time in dealing with this means a heck of a lot more. I cant get that back. I can make a couple of hundred bucks, but the time is gone.
I am looking at this on the bright side. Now, I get to deal with this in the winter, so hopefully it keeps me busy from wanting another toy hauler, because I cant go down that road.:D

Magic34
07-31-2007, 07:41 AM
He's trying to off the damn thing already:rolleyes: :D Sorry to hear about the mess they left. That really stinks.:(
Thanks. You guys will be getting one soon. I could see it in your eyes. :D

40FlatDeck
07-31-2007, 08:42 AM
Damn, that was a long post.:D What a shame it is that 99% of the marine business is sh*t like this.:( You should have come to Tucson and let my crew handle it.
Larry's Engine - motors and drives
AZ Pro Fiberglass - glass repair and paint
Vanderpools Paint Refinishing - awesome paint work
B&C RV and Trailer - Canvas work, trailer work, bbq, generators, all your little items.
They keep me going.:D And please make sure the A/C is cold for RRX:D :D

Chico&Zeus
07-31-2007, 08:47 AM
Magic34, when I bought the Nordic, you mentioned that I should take it to Chuck, I chose not to because of some things that I had heard. I knew you were taking the Formula there and didn't want to say anything because I thought you were good friends with him. Anyway, sorry that you had to deal with these guys, and confirm everything that I had heard about them. The bright side is that you have your boat and hopefully this weekend you will get to enjoy it. Just keep plugging away to get everything fixed, that's what I have been doing with mine, it's a never ending task but that's what boats are right?

Magic34
07-31-2007, 08:49 AM
Damn, that was a long post.:D What a shame it is that 99% of the marine business is sh*t like this.:( You should have come to Tucson and let my crew handle it.
Larry's Engine - motors and drives
AZ Pro Fiberglass - glass repair and paint
Vanderpools Paint Refinishing - awesome paint work
B&C RV and Trailer - Canvas work, trailer work, bbq, generators, all your little items.
They keep me going.:D And please make sure the A/C is cold for RRX:D :D
For RRX? That is a long way away still. Where we going for Labor Day?

Magic34
07-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Magic34, when I bought the Nordic, you mentioned that I should take it to Chuck, I chose not to because of some things that I had heard. I knew you were taking the Formula there and didn't want to say anything because I thought you were good friends with him. Anyway, sorry that you had to deal with these guys, and confirm everything that I had heard about them. The bright side is that you have your boat and hopefully this weekend you will get to enjoy it. Just keep plugging away to get everything fixed, that's what I have been doing with mine, it's a never ending task but that's what boats are right?
Damn, it is all your fault. I had never persoanlly met him until he had my boat for 2 weeks and I went there for the first time.
Next time, warn me!!! :D

40FlatDeck
07-31-2007, 09:44 AM
For RRX? That is a long way away still. Where we going for Labor Day?
I'm down for whatever....

Sandbar Mike
07-31-2007, 11:37 AM
They should of not charged you a dime for wasting your time calling them. You probably invested more wasted time dealing with them, then they spent fixing your boat. What a bummer, that sh&t pisses me off. It happens everywhere too,

Magic34
07-31-2007, 01:23 PM
At this point, I am over it. I had one last phone conversation today which this thread was brought up.
I think Chuck is a nice guy, he just sucks at running the shop. He wont disrespect anyone on the phone and tries to be good at what he does.
He over-promises and under-delivers, but he is isn't an a$$hole.
A friend of mine is trying to take over the shop and move it to a different location. If he gets the deal done, then I think you'll see a huge difference in Extreme Marine.

meaniam
07-31-2007, 03:07 PM
i don't understand why people don't get written estimates. i wont ever make that mistake. especially hearing how bad the boat industry is and there is no one to hold them accountable. if i cant get a written estimate they wont do any work.
magic it would appear you had several opportunities to get the estimate while there in person. what happened? did they blow you off? i think this situation sucks for you to have gone thru all of that. at least you were smart enough to hold some kinda payment. keep record of your calls and visits. just in case they try to place a lien or take you to court for balance.
one thing i learned here is people pay attention to these forums. so you probably saved others from making the same mistake as you did.

Magic34
07-31-2007, 05:47 PM
i don't understand why people don't get written estimates. i wont ever make that mistake. especially hearing how bad the boat industry is and there is no one to hold them accountable. if i cant get a written estimate they wont do any work.
magic it would appear you had several opportunities to get the estimate while there in person. what happened? did they blow you off? i think this situation sucks for you to have gone thru all of that. at least you were smart enough to hold some kinda payment. keep record of your calls and visits. just in case they try to place a lien or take you to court for balance.
one thing i learned here is people pay attention to these forums. so you probably saved others from making the same mistake as you did.
I think in this state you have to sign a work order, whether blank or not. I didn't sign anything and gave a specific list. All I would have to do is have 2 other shops estimate the work.
I am really not worried about it. I paid more than my share of the work that was complete.
I tried to get an estimate both times there and multiple times by phone. Never got anything until almost the end, then I was OK with the charges.

Magic34
08-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Found out I was lied to again. He said they tested the generator and it worked fine. Pumped water out the side no problem.
I worked on it for 4 hours Saturday night. There is NO way that the generator was tested. They may have replaced the impeller, but they did not test it. It was IMPOSSIBLE for the generator to pump water the way it was set up... IMPOSSIBLE!!!
When I posted this thread, some Extreme Marine followers who lurk here called him and let him know about this thread which put Chuck and I in a yelling match, well, I was yelling then hung up. I called him back the next day to only apologize for my tone and use of words when talking to him. I lost it and it wasn't right. No one deserves to be talked to like that for a situation on a toy, and it is not my style/personality whatsoever.
So now, those same followers, let him know that the generator he said he fixed... Didn't happen.
The hoses were reversed, not their fault, but they didn't touch it and I was charged $125 for the repair plus the cost of impeller.
Now, I am not the most mechanically inclined person, but I can change the generator impeller on this boat in 15 minutes.
I actually had to do it Saturday night myself. The 4 hours came from me trying to figure out why the system was reversed. Where the waterpump should have been pulling it was pushing. Where it should had been pushing, it was pulling. In the end, I could have done everything in less than an hour. It was very simple, the troubleshooting is what took all the time. Just went an bought a new hose, switch the fittings on the pump around, and swaped the hoses position and works great now. Had it on all day yesterday, no issues.
So, I paid to have the genny fixed and ended up doing it myself.
Oh, there were 2 extra impellers in my boat, so that is good. They did that much. Now down to 1.