PDA

View Full Version : Got wet for first time this year...........

HavasuDreamin'
06-03-2002, 06:41 AM
What a rush. The boat has been sitting around and I have been tinkering with it all winter, but I almost forget what it is like to drive a tunnel boat over the long winter. Got out both days this weekend to local ponds, but never the less got out, and had the chance to gas it a little on Sunday. Got up to maybe 65 or 70, just fast enough to give me a thrill, but not to fast to scare the little one (4 years old). Overall, boat ran well. Just need to keep an eye on my gearcase and see why my tach is not registering correctly. I have been chasing that problem for a while now.
Anyone else have good weekend?

Wicky
06-03-2002, 03:14 PM
Not sure why your tach isn't working correctly but, I have figured out why mine was bouncing all over the place. It was a bad cell in the battery.
Happy hunting,
Wicky

snappertapper
06-03-2002, 06:15 PM
yea i had a great weekend i bought a 17 foot lake & bay with a 225 evinrude on it and it ran about 84 nice boat considering a 2.4 bridgeport or a 150 xr6 though

WILDTHING
06-03-2002, 07:22 PM
HavasuDreamin'
Can't wait to get mine back all fixed up after melting it down. Should be soon , glad to hear you guy's are having fun...( . )( . )...KIM.....
[This message has been edited by WILDTHING (edited June 03, 2002).]

DamageInc
06-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Hey Wicky,
What's your opinion on this:
My tach will be working fine then jump to 0 then back to the correct reading. I have a gel cell battery. Also, something else that happened this past weekend; went out and made 3-4 hot passes, shut it off for a few minutes, then dead battery - no voltage!
You think the battery might be bad or do I have a gremlin in the wiring?
Thanks bud!

Wicky
06-04-2002, 01:38 PM
Damage,
I am the wrong person to ask those techno questions. You must consult with pro merc mechanic AZH on the scream and fly to really figure out the problem!!Bwwwwwwwahahahaha
Seriously though, I really don't know. I do know I had a similar problem and when I put the new battery in, the problem with the tach went away!!
Wicky

WS6_Keith
06-04-2002, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I had a good weekend all over the place. Took delivery of my STV Pro Comp Ski on Wednesday, spent Thursday at Mead, Friday at Mojave, Saturday in Havasu then Sunday at the F1 races in Laughlin. After watching the race, had to go put it back in at Mead to get my speed fix. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
Still tuning a little, and the compression is low at this altitude, but it ran 92mph on GPS at 7100 in the river above Mojave. Since then we did lower the motor 3/4" (it was 1.5" above the bottom!) and adjusted the EFI some more as it was rich coming from sea level to our altitude.
It did go 88mph at 6500 on Mead Sunday, so dropping the motor helped efficiency some. Looking for more next time out!

Skaterfast
06-04-2002, 03:26 PM
Got to my storage unit on Fri night with the keys in the other car 270 miles away.Went to Wallmart for bolt cutters and new locks.Opened storage unit to find one flat tire on boat trailer.Got to the Islander and couldn't find the keys to the 5th wheel to get inside.Found the keys 45 minutes later at the bottom of the wifes bottomless purse.Then I proceeded to install the new $500 ac unit on the trailer till 2am.Shitty boating on Sat,Sun was OK.Went to repair tire on Mon and by the time I got there I now had 2 leaking tires and one of them was the one they fixed 2 weeks ago.So I put 4 new tires on for $200.I spent way over $1,000 this weekend.Ouch!

pgf127rt
06-05-2002, 03:56 AM
Skatrfast,sounds like a typical outing for my wife and I, if it can happen, it usually will, at the worst possible moment.
After all a boat is still a hole in the water to put all of your money in. But isn't it fun when all of the prob's are solved. and you are finally on the water.
I took my Scorpion tunnel out with the wife in it for the first time, (when I went by myself it worked flawlessly,) and as luck would have it the down solenoid on the trim burnt out and naturally to check the down you must keep trimming it up, so I had the prop nearly out of the water by the time I was assured the down was done for, so I got on the cell phone called my wrench and with the help of a hatch pin lowered the trim by shorting across the solenoids and we went on our merry way, it is always something.

HavasuDreamin'
06-05-2002, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by pgf127rt:
it is always something.
Ain't that the truth. I now consider a good trip one that doesn't require me to break out any rope or an oar! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

pgf127rt
06-05-2002, 07:42 AM
HD, to tell the truth I am really enjoying my Scorpion tunnel hull with the 225 Merc-Mariner hybrid on it, after driving flats for years it sure is nice to cruise ny home lake in a moderate wind without a kidney belt, as this was a winter project it has turned out better than I had hoped for, so as in racing I have learned to expect the little gremlins which pop up rather regularly.

HavasuDreamin'
06-05-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by pgf127rt:
HD, to tell the truth I am really enjoying my Scorpion tunnel hull with the 225 Merc-Mariner hybrid on it, after driving flats for years it sure is nice to cruise ny home lake in a moderate wind without a kidney belt, as this was a winter project it has turned out better than I had hoped for, so as in racing I have learned to expect the little gremlins which pop up rather regularly.
Lets see it, post a picture. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

pgf127rt
06-05-2002, 03:58 PM
HD, that is what we were going to do the day I took the wife, but she forgot her dig. camera, and now she is gone to Lake Amistad, at Del Rio for a kinfolk deal, as soon as she gets back that will be our first priority, naturally I am biased but I think it is a beautiful ride.

Tahiti Day Cruiser
06-05-2002, 04:22 PM
Whoever invented Murphy's law must have been a boater. How about this story, my first trip out this year, water pump goes out, engine starts to overheat, shut it off quick but still got hot enough to crack the exhaust manifolds on both sides, flaps, gaskets , and I'm still waiting to see what else. Oh and I forgot , all this happened while on my honeymoon. Now I can' wait for that first summer trip that makes it all worth while.
Ain't boating fun ...
peace http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

baracuda
06-06-2002, 02:39 PM
what is the elevation at havasu-hey ws6-keith I've run a pro-comp ski since 1992 2.5 merc. 200 hp nitrox injected-you got to get some of that gas,the outboards love that stuff.you should be runing arround 8,000 rpm with the 2.5.Just bought a v-drive this year-what a wild ride.O-yea havasu-dreamn watch the water in that gear case.you will go through gears pretty fast with h20 in there.Just changed the rear seals on my gear case this year,they were leaking a little bit.
Baracuda

ed bullock
06-06-2002, 03:41 PM
heading to the lake in the morning . first run on the new power head. i am using all the info i learned from every one here. wish me luck.

snappertapper
06-06-2002, 05:42 PM
GOOD LUCK

Wicky
06-06-2002, 05:53 PM
ya didn't learn it from me.
Good luck though.
Wicky

HavasuDreamin'
06-07-2002, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by baracuda:
what is the elevation at havasu-O-yea havasu-dreamn watch the water in that gear case.you will go through gears pretty fast with h20 in there.Just changed the rear seals on my gear case this year,they were leaking a little bit.
Baracuda
Havasu is about 550 feet elevation if I am not mistaken. I am going to keep a close eye on the gearcase. I plan on draining it to check every time or two out. If I find water in it again, I will have the seals replaced.
Hey post some better shots of your recwently purchased flat on the v-drive site. The back is nice and all, but I want to see the paint. Thanks

ed bullock
06-07-2002, 03:58 PM
well after i fiddled with my shift cable and fixed it took the boat out after couple hours of adjusting sound great runs great so far so good. can not get my temp gauge to work ran new wires to sensor ignition and ground still no go any help ?

mrsbaracuda
06-07-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin':
Havasu is about 550 feet elevation if I am not mistaken. I am going to keep a close eye on the gearcase. I plan on draining it to check every time or two out. If I find water in it again, I will have the seals replaced.
Hey post some better shots of your recwently purchased flat on the v-drive site. The back is nice and all, but I want to see the paint. Thanks
HD,
There are 4 more in the v-drive (page 2) but they are not too good they really do not do it justice at all. We are going to get some better pictures and post them as soon as we can. We really like the purple flames into the checkered board paint scheme.
And on that gearcase deal one of my buddies had water in his last year and it ended up freezing the bearings up. That ended up costing him alot of bucks. Are you running a 2.5? If not, what type of motor are you running? I can't remeber if I had seen a picture of your boat in here somewhere.
(Rear seals-labor 2 hours at most, seals-$14 vs thousands to fix freeze-up. Just food for thought. Hate seeing anything bad happen.)
baracuda