PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers, Topock, Tickets?????

BadKachina
07-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Do I need a set of mufflers to run up to Topock for some shit on a shingle this weekend? I sure hope not, I'd pay a ticket everytime I go out not to put mufflers on my boat.:rolleyes: Oh, and there's no way it will pass any db test.........

Phat Matt
07-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Good luck.

dicudmore
07-30-2007, 09:14 PM
seems to be very random that there is a ranger up there testing...
I've heard of a couple tickets this year but personally have not seen the popo up there.

Big Inch
07-30-2007, 09:17 PM
I've been running thru there the last 3 weekends and have only seen one patrol boat. No problems though and my boat is loud. We were like 2 ships passing in the night. Except it wasn't night and well technically they weren't ships but you get the picture. I did meet a couple this last weekend who said that two of their friends got pulled over on Saturday and both got tickets. Not sure of what they were doing when they got pulled over but when I passed the PD in the gorge I just nodded when they looked my way and they nodded back and that was the end of it.

BadKachina
07-30-2007, 09:23 PM
This seems encouraging. I'll be on my best behavior, lots of waving, drinking water, just me and the wife,no loud music. No trouble whatsoever.;) I'm just not putting mufflers on with the cam I have and I love the biscuits and gravy at Topock. Now if I can get No-Name to follow me up river all will be good. :idea:

uLtRADeNniS
07-30-2007, 09:34 PM
My buddy got one 2 weeks ago idling through the gorge. There where 3 Fish and Game patrol boats in there. The one timer told my buddy that they are trying to hit everyone they can because its nature preserve. I was in another buddies boat and we were staying close waiting for him to get let go. My buddy getting cited waved us away. Apparently the cop told him we tell your friend to go away or he's gettin one too. I'm glad I didn't have my boat out that day.
Get the mufflers. Ticket is $125.

Big Inch
07-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Not sure if their is any truth to this or not but I heard that their is no fine for this violation until like your 3rd citing or something. Purely hearsay but someone said they got a ticket for it and that was what the officer told them or something.

tpmarine.com
07-31-2007, 06:47 AM
Do I need a set of mufflers to run up to Topock for some shit on a shingle this weekend? I sure hope not, I'd pay a ticket everytime I go out not to put mufflers on my boat.:rolleyes: Oh, and there's no way it will pass any db test.........
Come on Paul...try the Zoomers, they look good, sound great, will lower the db's and will not affect the performance...:D

River918
07-31-2007, 09:44 AM
Good luck...We were through there this weekend and they were pulling boats over like crazy in Devil's Elbow.

Lavey5150
07-31-2007, 09:58 AM
It's true, those treehugging homos db'ed me in the elbow and said it is an animal conservatory. No ticket, it can be fought, too much echoe and too may boats in that canyon to get an accurate reading...F them......

rojo4
07-31-2007, 11:10 AM
I have a set of zoomers slip ons that i used once in havasu. I'd be willing to let them go for dirt cheap or trade for a box anchor or something. The slip ons hit my swim step ladder so i just got the complete muffler package. PM me if you are interested?

DaddyMack
08-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Good luck.
HA!!! :D

uLtRADeNniS
08-01-2007, 11:32 AM
I really wanna take my boat to the sandbar this weekend but I'm afraid of the ticket I may face in the gorge? You think they will let me slide?? I have mufflers. Its still loud as hell, buy maybe I can score some brownie points for at least trying. :D
...What do you guys think??
http://aycu33.webshots.com/image/24752/2004032038691784521_rs.jpg

Biglue
08-01-2007, 11:38 AM
I really wanna take my boat to the sandbar this weekend but I'm afraid of the ticket I may face in the gorge? You think they will let me slide?? I have mufflers. Its still loud as hell, buy maybe I can score some brownie points for at least trying. :D
With a purple jet with mufflers you may get away on the noise ticket, but they will definitely nail you with a GIP ticket. (gay in public). :D :D :D

Boatcop
08-01-2007, 12:01 PM
It's true, those treehugging homos db'ed me in the elbow and said it is an animal conservatory. No ticket, it can be fought, too much echoe and too may boats in that canyon to get an accurate reading...F them......
It's been a Federal Wildlife Refuge long before power boats started showing up there. Created by President FDR in 1941.
Why can't people show a little common courtesy, and start realizing that the world doesn't revolve around just them.
Try educating yourselves about what the Refuge is there for. They're trying to keep a small stretch of the Colorado River as it was, before "progress" screwed up the rest of it.
http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=22550
Throttling down, or muffling your exhaust (as required by State and Federal Law) is a small price to pay.
Not directed specifically at Lavey5150, but at everyone who thinks that what they want to do on the Lakes or River, and screw everybody else, is all that matters.

uLtRADeNniS
08-01-2007, 12:05 PM
With a purple jet with mufflers you may get away on the noise ticket, but they will definitely nail you with a GIP ticket. (gay in public). :D :D :D
LMAO..
Dick!:D
Hey whats wrong with purple?
Why can't people show a little common courtesy, and start realizing that the world doesn't revolve around just them.
Not directed specifically at Lavey5150, but at everyone who thinks that what they want to do on the Lakes or River, and screw everybody else, is all that matters.
Damn well there goes that thought of me being the most important person in the universe and everyone shall bow to me. shucks :D:D lol.
So Boatcop, you think I'll get popped even though I have mufflers?

Racey
08-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Go spend the $700+ dollars on a set of mufflers to find out that your boat still wont come close to passing cause the dB level is so low its a joke :D

SummerBreeze
08-01-2007, 12:35 PM
I like what Boat Cop said.
"DON'T BE THAT GUY"In the loud boat

kevnmcd
08-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Went up to Topock last Saturday on M2ME's 28 Heat w/stock 496HO. As we were crawling through the no wake zone at Devil's Elbow we had Fish and Game pull in right behind us (about 6 feet off our stern) with a hand held db meter and follow us. He took a few readings and then pulled away to find someone else. As he was pulling away, we turned around and he gave us the thumbs up sign. We passed, but I'll bet it wasn't by much. First time I have ever seen them there. If we were in my boat, we would have failed for sure!

SummerBreeze
08-01-2007, 12:50 PM
You are going to get nailed

Big Inch
08-01-2007, 01:43 PM
I'd be more concerned with sinking the thing :)

Lavey5150
08-01-2007, 02:29 PM
It's been a Federal Wildlife Refuge long before power boats started showing up there. Created by President FDR in 1941.
Try educating yourselves about what the Refuge is there for. They're trying to keep a small stretch of the Colorado River as it was, before "progress" screwed up the rest of it.
http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/index.cfm?id=22550
Throttling down, or muffling your exhaust (as required by State and Federal Law) is a small price to pay.
Point taken, I have the upmost respect for my environment. Progress is inevitable, we know this. I live for water, salt and fresh. I've been navigating that stretch of water through the gorge for 25 years, never seen them HARRASING FOLKS like this year. Reptiles don't have ears but the politicians do. It's ridiculous that in this economy today, we the majority tax paying citizens have to worry about our recreational habits being taxed even furthur than they are currently due to some BS EPA so called standard. Loud boats and bikes save lives...................The animals will get over it, they sleep during the day anyway.............

Glamasu
08-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Point taken, I have the upmost respect for my environment. Progress is inevitable, we know this. I live for water, salt and fresh. I've been navigating that stretch of water through the gorge for 25 years, never seen them HARRASING FOLKS like this year. Reptiles don't have ears but the politicians do. It's ridiculous that in this economy today, we the majority tax paying citizens have to worry about our recreational habits being taxed even furthur than they are currently due to some BS EPA so called standard. Loud boats and bikes save lives...................The animals will get over it, they sleep during the day anyway.............
I think this is the point the tree huggers are trying to make:idea:

Glamasu
08-01-2007, 03:49 PM
I was told by a fish and game officer that they would problably let it slide if there was an attempt made to muffle the sound...However if your running straight out and your over they would write the ticket.....I was told this as i was getting a "courtesy"check. I produced a solid 95 at idle. He gave me a lecture on the sound but was writing me a ticket for other stuff...

shueman
08-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Mufflers are part of the California Boating Laws. 88db....
pg 36 Required Equipment (http://www.dbw.ca.gov/pubs/ABC/reqequip.pdf)
They are just making sure that boaters know the Rules of the Road.

Racey
08-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Mufflers are part of the California Boating Laws. 88db....
pg 36 Required Equipment (http://www.dbw.ca.gov/pubs/ABC/reqequip.pdf)
They are just making sure that boaters know the Rules of the Road.
Meanwhile there are thousands of loud ass Harley's ripping passed houses in neighborhoods, and i have yet to ever hear of or see a bike getting a noise ticket. But we go out to the middle of the desert to a body of water and have to worry about being too loud. :idea:

uLtRADeNniS
08-01-2007, 05:20 PM
I'd be more concerned with sinking the thing :)
It should be okay going through there. If it gets choppy in the no wake zone I can lift the bow enough to keep the water out with out making a big wake. Might have to hit the throttle a few times but I doubt it. Ive seen a lot of low profile jets going through there with no problems.
Meanwhile there are thousands of loud ass Harley's ripping passed houses in neighborhoods, and i have yet to ever hear of or see a bike getting a noise ticket. But we go out to the middle of the desert to a body of water and have to worry about being too loud. :idea:
Fockin Liberal Tree huggers. :D
They probably found some stupid type of ant that they are trying to preserve.

Big Inch
08-01-2007, 05:28 PM
It should be okay going through there. If it gets choppy in the no wake zone I can lift the bow enough to keep the water out with out making a big wake. Might have to hit the throttle a few times but I doubt it. Ive seen a lot of low profile jets going through there with no problems.
I was just teasing. I'm sure you'll be fine. I sunk a jet in Havasu years ago and it sucked but that's only because we were avoiding an oncoming boat. Nice looking boat btw.
As far as Harleys go. The only person I've ever seen get pulled over for being too loud on a Harley is my wife when she rides my bike. That and illegal helmet. Of course she has never received a ticket for either. They are just trying to hit on her.

Havasu1986
08-01-2007, 05:32 PM
See post #15. :mad: :rolleyes:

uLtRADeNniS
08-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I was just teasing. I'm sure you'll be fine. I sunk a jet in Havasu years ago and it sucked but that's only because we were avoiding an oncoming boat. Nice looking boat btw.
As far as Harleys go. The only person I've ever seen get pulled over for being too loud on a Harley is my wife when she rides my bike. That and illegal helmet. Of course she has never received a ticket for either. They are just trying to hit on her.
Thanks. If I get pulled over by Fish & Game, Ill tell them that I was running water through my header along with the mufflers. It might help.

Phat Matt
08-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks. If I get pulled over by Fish & Game, Ill tell them that I was running water through my header along with the mufflers. It might help.
Just so you know, the Refuge Manager lurks here and he is already probably waiting for you. lol. :)

BadKachina
08-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Wow, after reading this I've changed my mind. I don't want any trouble anyways. Guess we'll eat in town before we get on the water.
As far as mufflers go, no way am I taking a chance on reversion. It's not the sound that's an issue to me, it's the cost of a rebuild............:(

plaster dave
08-01-2007, 07:02 PM
I ran through there with my blown bbc with no problems but my friend got a ticket with a magic deckboat with a 525. I dont understand them.:confused: :confused:

GHT
08-01-2007, 07:21 PM
A cop friend of mine was pulled over and tested and he failed. Then everytime he was out and the "Fish Cops" saw him they would pull him over and want to test him. It was down right harrassment and he (an officer himself) witnessed "the List" with several boats the "fish cops" had previously pulled over on it. So, it seems that once they get you they write down your digits they will continue to haunt you. The "Fish Cops" denied "a list" but when pressed through other peace officers they amazingly removed their name from "the List"...
So, it seems once they hook you they won't let you go..

Boatcop
08-01-2007, 07:52 PM
I think the most important thing here is to do what we can to keep the Gorge open. Like Lake Mead and Mohave being a National Park, the Topock Gorge will be a Refuge forever. There's nothing we can do to change it, or make the regulations LESS restrictive.
When boats and PWCs were negatively affecting the backwaters and wilderness areas on Mead and Mohave, they closed some areas to PWCs. Some areas closed to all powerboats. And some areas have restrictions on horsepower. Willow Beach to Hoover Dam is a prime example.
Like it or not, the Government has a duty to protect the lands and waterways under their stewardship. That's not going to change. Nor are they going to revert to damaging use policies.
If people continue to ignore the noise, wake and other restrictions in the Refuge, they might just say screw it, and close it to all boats. Or restrict HP like the River on upper Mohave.
We might not like it, but noise restrictions are nothing new. Both Arizona and California have had noise restrictions since the 1960s. They should come as no surprise to anyone. 15-20 years ago, it wasn't such a big deal out here. Boats on the River and Havasu were 18'-24' with single engines. And then even the "big" boats, like Campbell and Spectra, were relatively quiet when delivered from the factory. And those who put on after market exhaust, zoomies or dry stacks, did it themselves. If they got cited, it was their own fault.
But then the boat manufacturers started going for speed and noise. The bigger, faster and louder, the better. They gave you, the consumer, an illegal boat from the get-go. California laws state that boats can't be manufactured or sold if they are above the legal noise levels. But no one ever enforced those laws on the builders, so the boat makers had a field day. And the one's who bought those boats are the ones that suffer. The boat builders count our money, while we're forking out more money in fines.
What I'm getting at, is that if we don't respect the waterways, they'll be taken from us. And we'll have no one to blame but ourselves.

77charger
08-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Just put some mufflers on it.Noise ratings on boats have been around for a while if you havent heard.just cause it wasnt enforced til recently doesnt mean its a new law.I am lucky i guess cause my boat has thru hub exhaust so it is quiet and this is a different era in boating.even off roading some places are getting stricter on the noise.
think of speeding down the freeway 70 will most likely NOT get you a ticket but you CAN be written up if a cop decides to stop you.As for harleys they do enforce loud noise in laguna and anaheim hills they are bringin out the decibal meters too.they are using federal laws for the noise there!(epa noise stickers on every new motorcycle).
Noise doesnt bother me hard to beat the sound of a nice big block esp if it can rev to 9k.If you have to have it that way boat were no one complains about the noise if not live with it at your local party lake

DEMOMAN
08-02-2007, 04:27 AM
This past weekend I had Savage install a set of "slip in" mufflers. They are held in by 1 allen screw on each side. I can take them off in 2 minutes. At only $185 for the pair it is a pretty cheap and easy way to muffle the sound only when you need to. By the way expect them to cut your top end by 10 mph.

tpmarine.com
08-02-2007, 06:14 AM
Wow, after reading this I've changed my mind. I don't want any trouble anyways. Guess we'll eat in town before we get on the water.
As far as mufflers go, no way am I taking a chance on reversion. It's not the sound that's an issue to me, it's the cost of a rebuild............:(
BK, mufflers are no more prone to causing reversion than standard exhaust tips...give me a call when you have a moment, let's talk about the Zoomers, I have been real impressed. :D

meaniam
08-02-2007, 07:32 AM
I think the most important thing here is to do what we can to keep the Gorge open. Like Lake Mead and Mohave being a National Park, the Topock Gorge will be a Refuge forever. There's nothing we can do to change it, or make the regulations LESS restrictive.
When boats and PWCs were negatively affecting the backwaters and wilderness areas on Mead and Mohave, they closed some areas to PWCs. Some areas closed to all powerboats. And some areas have restrictions on horsepower. Willow Beach to Hoover Dam is a prime example.
Like it or not, the Government has a duty to protect the lands and waterways under their stewardship. That's not going to change. Nor are they going to revert to damaging use policies.
If people continue to ignore the noise, wake and other restrictions in the Refuge, they might just say screw it, and close it to all boats. Or restrict HP like the River on upper Mohave.
We might not like it, but noise restrictions are nothing new. Both Arizona and California have had noise restrictions since the 1960s. They should come as no surprise to anyone. 15-20 years ago, it wasn't such a big deal out here. Boats on the River and Havasu were 18'-24' with single engines. And then even the "big" boats, like Campbell and Spectra, were relatively quiet when delivered from the factory. And those who put on after market exhaust, zoomies or dry stacks, did it themselves. If they got cited, it was their own fault.
But then the boat manufacturers started going for speed and noise. The bigger, faster and louder, the better. They gave you, the consumer, an illegal boat from the get-go. California laws state that boats can't be manufactured or sold if they are above the legal noise levels. But no one ever enforced those laws on the builders, so the boat makers had a field day. And the one's who bought those boats are the ones that suffer. The boat builders count our money, while we're forking out more money in fines.
What I'm getting at, is that if we don't respect the waterways, they'll be taken from us. And we'll have no one to blame but ourselves.
damn here i thought the new no wake was becuase of blind corners. and maybe accidents. nice to know.
boatcop this post right here came across alot better then the first post. good job