PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant HD,................Brilliant!!

HavasuDreamin'
06-28-2002, 06:52 PM
So.........my trim mounted on my steering wheel goes out last week. Just quits. This has happenend before and the culprit was severed wires in the area of the hub! So, I take the steering wheel off, the two piece hub apart, and can't get the main hub piece off the shaft to get at my wires. After trying a few things, go out and buy a steering wheel puller, pull the hub off, take the trim wire compartment off, dissassemble everything, pull the seats out so I can get under the dash (tight area, 19' Daytona) and find what I think is the culprit under the dash........weak connections. Clip the connectors off each wire, change out to new connectors try the trim switch and..............nothing! F%^&
Go to the back of the motor.......pull the cowl, find the main wire, see that a fuse is connected to the main, pull open the rubber casing and find a burned fuse.
My brilliance never seases to amaze me. Oh well..........anyone else with dumb a$$ stories..........?
$0.30 later, everything is fixed! All is well the ends well!

burbanite
06-28-2002, 07:48 PM
Yeah, but at least now you'll be able to throw a good roost tomorrow.....it's all in the recovery bro http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

pgf127rt
06-29-2002, 03:42 PM
HD, not long ago I took the wife for a run in in the Elim Scorpion w/225, gonna impress her with my winter project, made a run down the lake and got to the dam start to make the turn with down trim and notice the motor is not going down, slow down and check it out by trimming it up, thats the only way it will go, uh-oh too high to come home, get on the cell call my guru, pull the cover and
per his instructions I should short across the solenoids to see if the down is working, no prob, but, no tools, oh there is a latch pin in the cover, use it to short the solenoid, motor goes down we get home I hope she thinks I am a genius, but actually she probably knows I am dumber than dirt when it comes to OB motors, what being an old left foot trimmer and all.

snappertapper
06-29-2002, 06:48 PM
well not long ago, me being a person dumb enough to run an omc i was in my hydro stream with the 225 evinrude on it(the $500 project) new trim switch, somehow i got 2 up wires and no down i dont now how so im runing along and trying to jump a sand bar i trim it up , by this time it is porpoisin so bad its almost uncontrolable so trying to trim it back down it keeps going up and up so i lay on the throttle hoping this will help and it does the bow starts to lay down but when trying to slow down it starts hopping again so i finally get enough balls to just stop and almost sink in the process after that i try to trim it down by opening the manual release and could not get it open finnally i cut the wires going to the trim motor and trim it down but after all that when i get it home somehow the trim box shorted out and it only trims up Boggles my mind sometimes
st

Skaterfast
07-05-2002, 01:27 PM
I would have busted my steering wheel taking it off then found the bad fuze.

Screaming Pete
07-08-2002, 02:00 PM
This weekend we were replacing a bad wire on a golf cart , when we took off the bad wire we found the stud was striped and nut also so we found a double nutted stud on the solinoid and used it then in tighten up the solinoid nut snapped it we had an extra one so we started to replace it and when all the smoke cleared found we had burned up all the lighting wire harness, dammm
s/p