PDA

View Full Version : Shoppin' for a new cell phone/carrier...

PunkAssBitch
07-31-2007, 12:46 AM
My contract is finally coming to an end this month with Verizon (YAY!) & I'm in need of some feedback from all of you experts out there....
Who's your carrier? How much do you love 'em/hate 'em? What's your plan like? How's the coverage for you out at the river? Desert? Beach? in your house/neighborhood?
What kind of phone do you have?
Decisions...decisions...decisions....

HOOTER SLED-
07-31-2007, 03:45 AM
Funny, I thought Verizon was the best of the few I've had. :)

voodoomedman
07-31-2007, 05:35 AM
Same here and I have had them all. Then thing is though that most everybody says that their carrier is the best. That is until they change carriers and then that one is the best. They all suck but some are better for you than others. Find out what works best for you. Go buy which one you think you like and try it out. They don't tell you but there usually is a grace period between 15 and 30 days that if you return it you only pay for the minutes used and you walk away.

Mattman
07-31-2007, 05:39 AM
My contract is finally coming to an end this month with Verizon (YAY!) & I'm in need of some feedback from all of you experts out there....
Who's your carrier? How much do you love 'em/hate 'em? What's your plan like? How's the coverage for you out at the river? Desert? Beach? in your house/neighborhood?
Have things quieted down for you? Oh yea, Cingular now with great coverage at the river but everybody tells me I need Verizon.:idea:

shrek
07-31-2007, 05:58 AM
I have had......
LA Cellular-----Remember that?
Nextel
T-Mobile
I have several friends that have Cingular, and they curse it........the service is terrible.
Verizon is far the best service I have ever had.
Shrek

RitcheyRch
07-31-2007, 06:12 AM
I've also had LA Cellular and had Nextel through work. I have been with Sprint for awhile and have been very happy with them.
I have had......
LA Cellular-----Remember that?
Nextel
T-Mobile
I have several friends that have Cingular, and they curse it........the service is terrible.
Verizon is far the best service I have ever had.
Shrek

bajarunner
07-31-2007, 06:13 AM
I just went through the same thing! I thought yea my Verizon contract is up and I'm going to try someone new. Well it came down to AT&T (was Cingular) and Verizon for the best coverage so I went and got a pay by the minute phone (the better one with complete coverage) from AT&T and ran that side by side with my Verizon phone. The winner was Verizon without any contest, the AT&T phone was good but did not have any coverage between towns like traveling to the river, driving in outer lying areas, or at the sand bar I hang out at, where the Verizon phone worked just fine. So back to Verizon to sign the new contract I went. I picked up the new G'z One construction phone, It's blue in color, a lot smaller than the old G'z One, and is water resistant like a wrist watch (made by Casio), dust resistant, and vibration resistant. So far it's perfect for me and being around water I can answer it with wet hands at the sand bar while hanging in my boat, which is what finally killed my old phone.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-31-2007, 06:34 AM
First of all, what the hell are you doing up at 1:45am??? :confused: :D
I think you should get Cingular because I think all Cingular to Cingular calls are free so we won't get in trouble from our husbands when we talk too much. :D :D
I used to have AT&T back in the day and they were great, now we have Cingular which is AT&T again. So maybe they will be great again?? Who knows. I have Nextel for work and it sucks donkey balls. Honestly, I don't think we have much problem with Cingular lately. Used too, but not in the past 6-9 months or so.
I don't know, get a pager. :D

a catered life
07-31-2007, 06:41 AM
i agreed the charge you for everything but at least your phone works ehen you want it....

a catered life
07-31-2007, 06:42 AM
i agreed they charge you for everything but at least your phone works when you want it....

yopengo
07-31-2007, 06:44 AM
We have CingularÂ…um the new ATT or whoever the fukk they are now and have had no issues. I get a signal almost everywhere in Havasu. It is a little weak in our house (North side of town) but on the lake the signal is great.
I know one of the cel companies is adding more cel coverage to Havasu. :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-31-2007, 06:47 AM
We had Nextel for years and I never had a single problem, even when they switched to Sprint. However, I heard the billing is often times jacked up (I only heard that with Nextel, not Sprint), but I don't know, because I never saw the bill.
Anyway, with Jeff selling his business we had to get our own phones for the first time in 10 years. He wanted to get Cingular because of their Mexico (baja) coverage. HOWEVER . . . they advertise "fewest dropped calls" and that is an out and out lie! I cannot believe the dropped calls we have. My daughter figured out that it happens mostly on the weekends, when you have your free calling. A week ago last Saturday, we were driving home from Burbank, she was talking to a friend in the Corona/Norco area and the call was dropped 5 times! Then, the same thing happened Sunday. I don't know how many times she had to call back. Finally, she gave up and used the house phone. It happens even when you have full signal.
Now, I can honestly say that in 10 years with Sprint/Nextel, I NEVER had a dropped call, unless I ran out of signal. I never understood what people were complaining about. Now I know.
As for coverage, Cingular seems to have "so-so" connection everywhere, but very few places have a "great" connection. Sprint didn't seem to have as much coverage, but when it did, it was nice and clear.

havaduner
07-31-2007, 06:47 AM
I've had Verizon for years, and have been happy with the lack of dropped calls I have had on many long winded conversations on the way to Havasu. Only place I have a little bit of trouble is at Havasu Landing, where we have our trailer, I just need to be in the right spot in the house for full signal. It has worked just about everywhere on the lake, with the exception of up near park Moabi, but my wife and daughter have AT&T, and theirs work perfect there, so I always have a phone. I too have the new G'z one, and it seems to be a perfect phone for in the boat use.

DaddyMack
07-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Just got Ipaq 6925 and have ATT/Cingular... I have GPS, WiFi, etc.....
New phone.. so don't know anything about it yet.. fairly happy with ATT/Cingular... prob best coverage.. :idea:

River Lynchmob
07-31-2007, 08:35 AM
I have had Nextel and AT&T both were terrible and neither worked for anything in Parker. My mom and sister had T-Mobile and they hated it. I have had Verizon for 5 years and I like it much better than the other two and it gets pretty decent coverage in Parker and Glamis and Arrowhead so no complaints other than it drops more calls now than it did when i first had it but still hands down better than the other two. A buddy of mine has Sprint i likes it and it does have better coverage in Parker than Verizon does. I think when you have a service you always think that it's better somewhere else. Just an opinion. :D

topless
07-31-2007, 08:42 AM
I used to have Verizon and hated the customer service. If they screw up your bill, it takes an act of congress to get them to fix it. A friend here at work had her Verizon phone stolen and she reported it within 5 minutes. 2 months later I guess the thief activated it somehow and downloaded all sorts of crap from the internet and yes, they tried to make her pay for it saying she did it. I switched to Sprint and have never had a problem.

Mrs.Moose on the loose
07-31-2007, 08:48 AM
We had AT&T and cingular and sprint and hated all of them, always got cut off and never had reception any where. So being that I work for costco and get a discount on Nextel, I decided to try them, I love them. I can go anywhere and get service, when we go to Bakersfield to race, I always have service and never have to worry. But I do suggest getting the phone they are offering that is water resistant/proof, it does come with a camera but it is very rugged and very durable.
And being around water and in sucluded places it's worth the extra money.
Just my opinion though.
Good luck,

thatguy
07-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Wow, I am a little surprised at the opinions.
I had ATT wireless for years and loved it. I got service in Prudhoe Bay Alaska. That is on the north coast of Alaska mind you! No other carrier worked. Mine worked everywhere.
Anyway, after getting married, I switched to my wife's Cingular family plan. 2+ years ago. Figured might as well since they were buying out ATT.
Did not like it at first, but now I would not change to anyone else. Excellent coverage, good cust. service. Any thing we wanted to do, like changing numbers or names, or features for each line were handled either on line or with one call.
We have 4 lines plus data(air card). I will say that of the 4 phones my motorola V551 is the best quality phone of the 4 and it shows. The Wife's nokia is a POS and don't work worth a phuck. The daughters motorola slide phone works good, the boys flip samsung (cheapo, not the spendy one) is shatty also.
I think some connection problems people have with cingular is phone related.
If you go with them, drop the coin for a high end motorola or samsung and life will be good.
Tommy

EmpirE231
07-31-2007, 09:57 AM
I went from nextel and cingular to T-MOBILE ... and I like it! works just as good, if not a little better... and their prices are wayyy better! :)

Cole
07-31-2007, 10:07 AM
I have just one comment........."where you at"!!:D
prepay-$55.00 per month 5.00 for unlimited text, access web n/c, and drum roll.........ITS UNLIMITED CALLS!!!!!!!!! :D :D and no contract!!
I have had mine for 4 months and love it...and first month free!!
$100.00 for the phone is all you need to start!! Radio shack is where I bought mine!!

PunkAssBitch
07-31-2007, 11:27 AM
now I'm even more confused LOL
How well does T-Mobile work in Parker? Glamis/Ocotillo? Anyone? Bueller?
Cole...is that Boost or Cricket you're talking about?
Like it was mentioned...it takes an act of Congress to get Verizon to do ANY customer service. T-Mobile's plans are better & cheaper, get more bang for your buck. Looks like AT&T/Cingular's coverage area is more extensive, but then again, from what you're all saying....they're probably full of it. The benefits of my BFFFFF & other friends being on Cingular & rollover minutes & their so called extended coverage makes them look a little better in my eyes......
I'm looking at the smart phones...gotta get the latest & greatest gadgets ya know! LOL.

thatguy
07-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Go cingular, it's better than most and they are getting better all the time. They are going to be ATT Wireless again and that is good. Rollover, free phone to phone, very good cust service IMHO. And, with my phone at least, very good coverage.
Like I said, make sure to get a GOOD phone. You shouldn't be dissapointed.
Tommy

PunkAssBitch
07-31-2007, 12:23 PM
First of all, what the hell are you doing up at 1:45am??? :confused: :D
was shoppin' for phones & drinking a beer...it seemed like a good idea at the time LOL.
I think you should get Cingular because I think all Cingular to Cingular calls are free so we won't get in trouble from our husbands when we talk too much. :D :D
EXACTLY! We do need to get you a headset though so you can drive & talk at the same time!!!
I don't know, get a pager. :D
Do they even make those anymore? :confused: :idea: :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
was shoppin' for phones & drinking a beer...it seemed like a good idea at the time LOL.
EXACTLY! We do need to get you a headset though so you can drive & talk at the same time!!!
Do they even make those anymore? :confused: :idea: :D
A headset? That is a fantastic idea. And a new automatic vehicle to go with it!!! ;)
Muah!

2manymustangs
07-31-2007, 06:42 PM
We have had good luck with Cingular in general (customer service wise). Cant say anything about coverage in YOUR area. We just got a notice in the mail that they are giving away the motorola razors with a 2 year contract. I like the free cingular to cingular calls, you may check with the people you talk to most and see what they have. :wink:

PBOCOP
07-31-2007, 07:19 PM
I just went from Verizon to AT&T.
I didn't have many issues with Verizon, except that the data email part was shitty in Havasu. The data email portion of AT&T is great in Havasu and I got the Iphone with AT&T too !! Iphone is the shnizzle !