PDA

View Full Version : California DMV sucks!

DSW
07-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Here's the situation... My dad came to visit me from Northern Cali down in Havasu about a month ago in his 05' duramax diesel. The Duramax has been in and out of the stealership more than 8 times in the last 90 days. It worked on the way down here but once he arrived the chevy started to throw codes etc. Well he said fu*k it and he traded it in on a New 06' Dodge cummings 1 ton, at Anderson in Havasu. Anderson told him they sell trucks to California residents all the time... blah blah blah....So fast forward to now. He goes down to register it in California today and they say "NO WAY!" It's only a 49 state truck. He calls anderson and they say it's a 50 state truck. WTF? California has "blacklisted" the vin so it cannot be registered in Cali. His temp registration is about to expire soon and then he won't be able to drive it. Has anybody else run into this problem? What can he do?

Ziggy
07-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Here's the situation... My dad came to visit me from Northern Cali down in Havasu about a month ago in his 05' duramax diesel. The Duramax has been in and out of the stealership more than 8 times in the last 90 days. It worked on the way down here but once he arrived the chevy started to throw codes etc. Well he said fu*k it and he traded it in on a New 06' Dodge cummings 1 ton, at Anderson in Havasu. Anderson told him they sell trucks to California residents all the time... blah blah blah....So fast forward to now. He goes down to register it in California today and they say "NO WAY!" It's only a 49 state truck. He calls anderson and they say it's a 50 state truck. WTF? California has "blacklisted" the vin so it cannot be registered in Cali. His temp registration is about to expire soon and then he won't be able to drive it. Has anybody else run into this problem? What can he do?
Take it to the Ca. DMV and have it Verified as a 50 state vehicle by one of their inspectors, the labels confirming this should all be under the hood somewhere...or else Anderson made a boo-boo

DSW
07-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Labels are missing... Anderson verified the vin as a 50 state legal truck.:mad:

Ziggy
07-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Labels are missing... Anderson verified the vin as a 50 state legal truck.:mad:
Verification needs to be done by a Ca. Verifier, the non Ca. dealership verification won't cut the mustard with our fukked up system.....possibly some sort of documentation from the Manufacturer(Dodge) would help. I'd be suspect if there are no labels under the hood....either the truck was wrecked and no new labels installed when the sheet metal replaced or something is fishy......I'm assumming this was a used truck, yes?

Troy McClure
07-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Fork it.
Register it in AZ and he can drive it anywhere. He drives up to visit his home in CA a couple times a Month right??

DSW
07-31-2007, 05:36 PM
It even says on his invoice that the truck is 50 state legal. Truck has label on it that says Legal for sale in the USA. He took it up to a dodge dealership in Norcal and they said they thought it was a 49 state truck..... Does Anderson have it's head up it's azz or what? What a mess... The truck was BRAND NEW...104 miles on it....

Ziggy
07-31-2007, 05:40 PM
It even says on his invoice that the truck is 50 state legal. Truck has label on it that says Legal for sale in the USA. He took it up to a dodge dealership in Norcal and they said they thought it was a 49 state truck..... Does Anderson have it's head up it's azz or what? What a mess... The truck was BRAND NEW...104 miles on it....
I don't know how Dodges internal systems work but any dealer should be able to see what the trucks equipment was originally....I know Mrs Boatnam here on the boards worked at one, maybe she knows better how to get to the bottom of it.
104 miles on a truck in a city of 5 miles by 5 miles??? No labels?? I'd dig deeper to get to the bottom of it......

HocusPocus
07-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Fork it.
Register it in AZ and he can drive it anywhere. He drives up to visit his home in CA a couple times a Month right??
that worked for me for about a month before getting a nasty letter in the mail from the CHP.

DSW
07-31-2007, 05:51 PM
It's truly is a mess. He really likes the truck, he's already added alot of aftermarket stuff, (line-x, banks exhaust, intake, etc.) He already had to ditch his duramax which he really liked. Chevy just mis-treated him. Could'nt fix the problem in a timely manner.

RitcheyRch
07-31-2007, 05:53 PM
I thought all diesels were 50 state legal??

Ziggy
07-31-2007, 05:56 PM
Ask the selling dealer to register it for him...if they are so sure its 50 state it should be cake for them to get handled thru a Registration service.
I get all my out of state car sales registered for my customers unless they specifically ask me not to.

DSW
07-31-2007, 05:57 PM
I thought all diesels were 50 state legal??
That was what I though. DMV says not so as of (get this)...... 2006!!!!:)
Honest to god, i don't know how most of you can stand living in Kalifornia.. I got tired of always being told how to do everything by the state. Thats why I moved here. I keep on trying to get the folks to move out here but.... not yet...

rvrtoy
07-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Have your dad move to Havasu...Problem solved!:D

mike37
07-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Honest to god, i don't know how most of you can stand living in Kalifornia.. I got tired of always being told how to do everything by the state. Thats why I moved here. I keep on trying to get the folks to move out here but.... not yet...
probably has no catalytic converter

YeLLowBoaT
07-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Thats federal not state.
Some is not right with this deal. The vin should state rather its 50 state or 49 ( letter code I'm pretty sure)

BoatPI
07-31-2007, 08:25 PM
1. NO DEALER can legally sell a new vehicle without the emission sticker being present in the vehicle. PERIOD< END OF STORY FEDERAL LAW AND STATE LAW IN CA.
it wil either say iot is a 49 state vehicle, or have the words "and for sale in the State of California". If the sticker is missing, Anderson may have pulled a highly illegal move on you! They need to "unwind" this if this is the case as they are headed for a serious legal issues. It has to have that sticker. You may want to call the AZ DMV inspectors and sick them to inpsect the dealership and have them inspect you truck. And NO, you cannot register a 49 state vehicle in CA until it is 1 year old. Actually 49 state is an old term, as three other states in the N/E have adopted the CA standard. Most gasoline cars are now 50 State compliant, NO diesel cars are legal for sale in CA, new.
The MBZ new diesel is attempting certification now.

DSW
07-31-2007, 08:35 PM
it does have a cat.

ULTRA26 # 1
07-31-2007, 08:48 PM
There was a time when a new vehicle could not enter CA, from another state, with under 7500 miles. The purpose of this law was related to sales tax issues and CA smog laws. I am sure that there is no law in CA that states that you can not register a used 49 state vehicle in CA. It happens all of the time with new residents coming to CA from out of state.
The AZ Dodge dealer had to have been aware that there was going to be an issue with CA reg. I believe that Anderson isn't telling the truth.
Look at the Federal VIN sticker on the driver side lock pillar (door jam) This will indicate if the truck is a 50 state truck. The MSRP (window sticker) will also indicate if the truck meets CA emission standards. If both of these reflect that this is a 50 state vehicle, then your folks are up against the 7500 mile law and I don't believe that this can be fixed. BYW, it is against Federal Law, for a new vehicle dealer to remove emission stickers or labels of any kind.
This doesn't sound like a pretty situation. Good luck regardless
John M

OCMerrill
07-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Is the truck financed?
Maybe...have it registered to your address. Keep it out of CA for 90 days, then register it here. You will need Prof it was out of state for that time frame. Get a service at the dealer, then a lube n tune deal 3 months from now.
There was a thread on this here in the sandbar about 2 months ago. Try a search.
Call the Arizona DMV and let them know what the dealer has done. DMV's and car dealers...arch enemies.

edog_103
07-31-2007, 09:19 PM
In 2005 I bought a Dodge ram 1500 with a hemi (gas) in Yuma Az. The dealer in AZ told me I had to have the sticker under the hood that said it had CA emissions. I brought it back to Ca. and took it to the DMV to register it. The broad told me I had to have it smoged. I said it was a brand new vehicle. Then she was kind enough to walk outside and check under the hood and sure enough, it had the emisions sticker on it. She didn't say another word and and got it registered in Ca. She said as long as it has the label it does not need an inspection. Otherwise i would have had to take it to get a smog check.

YeLLowBoaT
07-31-2007, 09:36 PM
One more thing I forgot to mention. Get there about a hour before closing on a friday. State law says they have to help you if your in the building.( end of the month is best as its packed) Chances are you will not be helped until after closing. Beleave me at that point it becomes rubber stamp time. ;)

Riverdog1
07-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Oh shit, here it goes...California smokes pole:D :D I got the hell out of there because they make it difficult to do anything.:mad: Now, don't keep telling people to move out here. Shut the door behind you.:mad: :D It will soon BE Ca if the dumb-asses keep coming here. Sorry, no offense to the ca boaters, that's a different crew:D . Just the tree huggers, there aren't any trees here:D :D

EAZYKILLER2006
07-31-2007, 10:04 PM
wow sorry to hear that
same thing happened to hubby, when he bought his bike
so he registered it at our havi address
i think that is why he got a good deal on the bike
if it is a 49 state instead of 50 they should of let you know
at least the HD dealer let us know before hand

BoatPI
08-01-2007, 06:23 AM
Without trying to make this more dificult, the vehicle if sold new, MUST have a 50 State federal emissions sticker to be immediately registered in CA, PERIOD!! I use to be a dealer, and I have verified at least 300 vehicles for registrations. If it is USED, and a non CA compliant sticker, then I believe the law was recently changed and extended to 1 year from date of purchase until it can be registered in CA. This prevents someone from say purchasing a new MBZ ML 350 deisel in Phoenix, and driving it into CA nearly new and registering it, thus circumventing the CA emissions standards. Do not fault the CA DMV on this, they just enforce the law, and from what you have represented, they are acting correctly.
Now as far as VIN verification: ALL vehicles, including trailers, MUST be VIN verified by the DMV, ANY peace officer in CA, or a licensed VIN verifyer.
On the form that you can download from the DMV website, a box needs to be checked that comfirms that the vehicle has an emissions sticker ,etc.
Most emissions stickers have barcodes too. This is the basis for smog checks in CA as it is scanned and uploaded for bi-annual emissions testing.
I realize that diesels are not tested, but it will still have the bar code somewhere.
1. If this truck does not have an emissions sticker, TAKE IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. In addition to an emissions sticker each VIN consisting of 17 letters and numbers, contains emissions information, so no scamming will work. It is what it is.
Trust me on this as I have investigated vehicle issues for 30 years, this is not some opinion, these are facts.
I wish you luck.

Kyote
08-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Here's the DMV site: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm
Here's the sticker

conquestcat
08-01-2007, 06:40 AM
If this truck is new the 1st question is where did that emission
sticker go, they say the fish stinks from the head down
Anderson would be explaining why it wasnt on there, like Ziggy
says there so sure have them register it seems like its up
to them to figure this out they made all the $$$$$

Cigalert
08-01-2007, 07:06 AM
3 years ago I moved to Gilbert, Az from SoCal and bought a 04 Avalanche as soon as I got there. Moved back to cali 6 months later and tried to register the Avalanche in cali. The DMV said it was not a 50 state vehicle. I brought in all the paperwork that stated "50 State". They said that's good but since it's a truck I needed to get it weighed. After arguing it's technically an SUV they said nay. Got the "truck" weighed and brought the paperwork back to the DMV. They then said I needed to pay sales tax on it stating any vehicle purchased after October 1st. 2004 needed to have sales tax paid in cali. They wanted $3400 to register it in cali. I traded it in for an 05 Tahoe at a cali dealership and let them deal with the bullchit.
Wether it's the 49-50 state bs or not...good luck getting this fixed.

Ziggy
08-01-2007, 07:09 AM
Without trying to make this more dificult, the vehicle if sold new, MUST have a 50 State federal emissions sticker to be immediately registered in CA, PERIOD!! I use to be a dealer, and I have verified at least 300 vehicles for registrations. If it is USED, and a non CA compliant sticker, then I believe the law was recently changed and extended to 1 year from date of purchase until it can be registered in CA. This prevents someone from say purchasing a new MBZ ML 350 deisel in Phoenix, and driving it into CA nearly new and registering it, thus circumventing the CA emissions standards. Do not fault the CA DMV on this, they just enforce the law, and from what you have represented, they are acting correctly.
Now as far as VIN verification: ALL vehicles, including trailers, MUST be VIN verified by the DMV, ANY peace officer in CA, or a licensed VIN verifyer.
On the form that you can download from the DMV website, a box needs to be checked that comfirms that the vehicle has an emissions sticker ,etc.
Most emissions stickers have barcodes too. This is the basis for smog checks in CA as it is scanned and uploaded for bi-annual emissions testing.
I realize that diesels are not tested, but it will still have the bar code somewhere.
1. If this truck does not have an emissions sticker, TAKE IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. In addition to an emissions sticker each VIN consisting of 17 letters and numbers, contains emissions information, so no scamming will work. It is what it is.
Trust me on this as I have investigated vehicle issues for 30 years, this is not some opinion, these are facts.
I wish you luck.
The 90 day deal is now 1 year, that change a year or two ago...most people used it as a mechanism to avoid paying the Ca. sales tax.....

BoatPI
08-01-2007, 07:26 AM
And on the weight. if it is new, they will accept the MSO for weight, if not ALL commecicial vehicles need to be weighed at a DMV certified truck scale. this determines the weight fee for the plates, and it can be heafty. Now, if you have a camper on it, then an owner may obtain a waiver and have standard plates issued to the truck, thus NO weight fees.
Be advised that ALL DMV docs have a line just above the signature line that reads, " I certify under penality of perjury that the following is true".
In CA the penality for a perjury conviction at 16 months in PRISON.
And do not think that this is never prosecuted...

Baja Big Dog
08-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Those bastards at Anderson....yea I can see them selling a truck that is not legal in Cali, because they know it wont come back to haunt them right...
COME ON.....

BoatPI
08-02-2007, 05:45 AM
So how about an update??????

Windy
08-02-2007, 05:55 AM
but I don't those labels are to be removed under penalty of law, like the ones on mattresses.
By law you cant. I was at the DMV yesterday getting my daughters new quad verified. The inspector asked me where the number is stamped on the engine. I told him there is a little sticker with the number on it, and then I asked him if he wanted me to take it off and show it to him. He laughed and said its against the law to remove those.

HokeySon
08-02-2007, 06:06 AM
I wish you luck.
I think you are confusing the rules on taxes and emmissions.
The 90 day (now one year) period deals with ownership and taxes. If you own it for the required time period before coming into CA you do not have to pay sales tax. People would buy (or take delivery of) new vehicles, especially boats and Rvs, in states with no sales tx or Mexico to avoid the sales tax.
The rule on 49 state vehicles is just that it must have more than 7500 miles on it before it can be imported. CA used to charge an extra "emissions fee" for these vehicles, but that was ruled unconstitutional.

AZmike
08-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Your stating the obvious, most things in California suck:D

BoatPI
08-02-2007, 07:31 AM
The 7,500 mile rule
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm