PDA

View Full Version : berkley jet service shop

86 catalina
02-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Anyone know a good shop that can work on my berkley jet,i wanted to have it serviced before i puyt my new engine in.I just built a 496 chevy roller motor for my boat and i am afraid that the jet might need a tune up before i put the engine in it>>Any idea of of any hipo parts i should have installed in it type of impellor(a,b,c?),bearings,gaskets ..etc.I live in lakewood .ca thanks the boat is a 21 foot open bow..here is a pic of my boat also..

garret
02-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Tom Papp Racing in Corona. Does really good work and will treat you fair.

victorfb
02-19-2006, 11:05 PM
tom papp, jack at MPD, the two places id recommend. you may be closer to jack but dont discount tom. both do great work. glad to see you are thinking ahead and not waiting till june to get the pump done. most guys are busy as shiat at that time. get er done early.

86 catalina
02-19-2006, 11:15 PM
I dont want this big engine to blow to poor think to peices..I dont know the condition of the pump just bought the boat last season.It was running a mild 454 and seem to have a little vibration like there was some debris in the pump..Im thinking that mabey a bearing or something>>>But other than that is ran all season...DO you have a number for these shops???thanks

victorfb
02-19-2006, 11:21 PM
tom papp= (951) 734-4606 cant seem to find jacks number for the life of me. sorry. MPD is his buisness name. either one will do you right.
by the way... vibration isnt good. have it checked out.

FuelInMyVeins82
02-19-2006, 11:37 PM
If your in the area or willing to drive for a bit I woud highly recomend MPD he is sharp as they come and does excelent work. his number is
(949)631-2040
I know you told me but I forgot Vic who did your pump again?

victorfb
02-19-2006, 11:59 PM
the pump in my rogers was done by MPD. who did the actual work i have no idea. but it has been a great pump and i highly recommend MPD. i just couldnt find the number. just giving the guy options. maybe next time i wont have to pay retail prices. lol if it was me that started this thread i too would be asking for all thats available. i know jack gets busy sometimes and toms shop has turned out some great pumps too. no sides here. just some usefull knowlegde.

FuelInMyVeins82
02-20-2006, 12:05 AM
I didnt mean any thing by it I just couldnt remember who did it and i knew you told me. After riding in your boat last year and FBC and CBB I knew it ran prety good and was currious that all.
How you been any changes for this year?

victorfb
02-20-2006, 12:26 AM
no changes as of yet, but you never know. the motor IS way under cammed. if the funds develope.... we will see. im thinking a good 8 to 10 mph gain. would be nice to hit the 90 mark. but the rest of the valve train would need to be upgraded. hense the funds delema. as mild as i built this thing, i know theres alot left in her.

Squirtin Thunder
02-20-2006, 02:34 AM
There is always Code Blue Racing 928-704-1858. They are certified by Berkeley and can get you super deals on the overhaul kit and any thing else for that matter. They always go the extra mile.
Thanks
Jim

Rondane
02-20-2006, 08:56 AM
They are certified by Berkeley They always go the extra mile.
Thanks
Jim
how do you get certified by berkeley? Is there classes you take or something? Just wondering. Too bad this guy is only 4 hours away. :rolleyes:

FuelInMyVeins82
02-20-2006, 09:01 AM
no changes as of yet, but you never know. the motor IS way under cammed. if the funds develope.... we will see. im thinking a good 8 to 10 mph gain. would be nice to hit the 90 mark. but the rest of the valve train would need to be upgraded. hense the funds delema. as mild as i built this thing, i know theres alot left in her.
Do it. you know you want too.

Squirtin Thunder
02-20-2006, 09:28 AM
how do you get certified by berkeley? Is there classes you take or something? Just wondering. Too bad this guy is only 4 hours away. :rolleyes:
Money is the main thing, but it also includes lisencing, insurance and Tax info. Not real hard to do but very time consuming. But it has been well worth it.

Rooster
02-20-2006, 10:09 AM
There is always Code Blue Racing 928-704-1858. They are certified by Berkeley and can get you super deals on the overhaul kit and any thing else for that matter. They always go the extra mile.
Thanks
Jim
I took my boat to Code Blue and I have been very happy so far!

old rigger
02-20-2006, 10:13 AM
86 catilina,
save yourself some grief and just go down to Jacks place. He's been around for decades, been racing jets from almost the very begining of time, and because of that, knows what set-ups will work for ya and what won't. He's got a great reputation and he's close to home.

victorfb
02-20-2006, 10:48 AM
oh what do you know old rigger. have you been around the boat scene? :p
just funnin. good to see ya around again rich. and good advice aswell. you cant go wrong with jacks work and knowledge. by the way, you still want the 4 banger stuff?
sorry for the highjack.

Dogballs
02-20-2006, 11:16 AM
MPDundefined :crossx:

apollo18
02-20-2006, 05:35 PM
$300. for a prop and another hundred or two - you can build it yourself. I just did mine its easy, if you want to save money...

86 catalina
02-20-2006, 05:47 PM
old rigger i see you are close to me ...who is jack do you have a number,,also where is long beach speed and marine....

Bradf
02-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Tom Papp Racing, Corona.
91 East, exit Maple (2nd exit after the 71 i believe)... Left over the freeway... first driveway on the right... hes in the back
(951) 734-4606

sleekcrafter
02-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Money is the main thing, but it also includes lisencing, insurance and Tax info. Not real hard to do but very time consuming. But it has been well worth it.
:D :D sucky sucky... yu...Berkeley cetifi ?? :D :D

Squirtin Thunder
02-20-2006, 06:56 PM
:yuk: :yuk:
:D :D sucky sucky... yu...Berkeley cetifi ?? :D :D
:yuk: :yuk:
Is it snowing out there or something ???

lilrick
02-20-2006, 07:16 PM
I love Squirtin' thunder he's one of my sponsors!!! free chit!

hack job
02-20-2006, 07:19 PM
If your in the area or willing to drive for a bit I woud highly recomend MPD he is sharp as they come and does excelent work. his number is
(949)631-2040
I know you told me but I forgot Vic who did your pump again?
this is the place

hack job
02-20-2006, 07:21 PM
old rigger i see you are close to me ...who is jack do you have a number,,also where is long beach speed and marine....
he is talking about MPD
http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/

wright27
02-21-2006, 10:50 AM
I just picked up my pump that Jack at MPD did. I would highly recomend Jack. Took the whole pump apart right in front of me as I dropped it off. Told me all that was wrong and needing to be redone. Showed me prices,talked horsepower, and how far I wanted to go price wise. Made it real easy and educated me on pumps. I drove over 2 hours and I feel it was worth it.

86 catalina
02-21-2006, 10:57 PM
just out of curiosity how much did you pay....thanks.. trying to figure out a budget...or how much harder i need to work,what did you have done.thanks

wright27
02-22-2006, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=86 catalina]just out of curiosity how much did you pay....thanks.. trying to figure out a budget...or how much harder i need to work,what did you have done.thanks[/QUOT
New bearings, wear ring, impeller, everything inside except shaft. Had a bearing installed in the bowl for the shaft, Jack recomended because I run on the river for sand reasons. He reworked a new impeller front and back. Powder coated the entire pump.I have a older bowl so he machined my bowl for a larger opening for my droop. Cleaned up the veins in the bowl. All this cost me $1300 stage 1.5 parts and labor.

pce680
02-22-2006, 07:57 PM
just out of curiosity how much did you pay....thanks.. trying to figure out a budget...or how much harder i need to work,what did you have done.thanks
I would go to TOM PAPP RACING in Corona,Ca.Excellent work at half the price. :)

86 catalina
02-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks wright i am thinking about just checkin it out myself, got way too much money involved in my 496 i am building.>>Any special tool needed not sure..

86 catalina
02-22-2006, 08:08 PM
If not i think im leaning towards mr.tom papp

Squirtin Thunder
02-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks wright i am thinking about just checkin it out myself, got way too much money involved in my 496 i am building.>>Any special tool needed not sure..
You will need one of these;
Tool Kit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4607152112&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT)

86 catalina
02-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Do you sell that kit with a complete pump rebuild included...berkley..If so $?

Cs19
02-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Whats TPR's shop rate per hour again ?

steelcomp
02-22-2006, 08:58 PM
I would go to TOM PAPP RACING in Corona,Ca.Excellent work at half the price. :)
You always, ALWAYS will get what you pay for in these instances. One of two things is true here, either you'll get about half the work for half the price, or you're telling about half the truth. :idea:

Squirtin Thunder
02-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Do you sell that kit with a complete pump rebuild included...berkley..If so $?
PM sent !!

centerhill condor
02-23-2006, 05:41 AM
btw nice boat! :rollside:

wright27
02-23-2006, 07:15 AM
You always, ALWAYS will get what you pay for in these instances. One of two things is true here, either you'll get about half the work for half the price, or you're telling about half the truth. :idea:
Amen brotha :cool:

MBlaster
02-23-2006, 07:40 AM
How about GS Marine?
Those guys know a thing or two about pumps.

MBlaster
02-23-2006, 07:42 AM
Some people don't think they are getting a good job unless they are paying twice as much as they should. :crossx:

wright27
02-23-2006, 07:56 AM
I could have had the rebuiled for about $550. The new impeller and all the extra machining. Hell he did things that I can't even remember. What I liked was when I got there he did not say just set it over there and I will call you with a price. He took apart and explained the whole process. He is very informative. Then on pickup went through all do's and don'ts ,servicing ,ect.

Rondane
02-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Some people don't think they are getting a good job unless they are paying twice as much as they should. :crossx:
Well said mblaster. Seems mr. knowit all and his cronies have something at stake? Seems the original $550 quote was to get your blood flowing.
rondane

Rondane
02-23-2006, 08:27 AM
You will need one of these;
Tool Kit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4607152112&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT)
Is there something around here about SPAM and where it's supposed to be posted? Funny how private guys get their stuff moved but so called dealers can stay...what's up with that? Terrible.

flat broke
02-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Well said mblaster. Seems mr. knowit all and his cronies have something at stake? Seems the original $550 quote was to get your blood flowing.
rondane
Rondane,
I take offense to comments like that, even when they are not directed at me. Being that your location is stated as Ohio, I'm guessing you've never met Jack, and never had any work done at his shop. Working under that assumtion, what you've stated above is merely conjecture, and libelous conjecture at that.
Jack McClure has never been anything but fair with myself, my brother, or any of my friends that have used is shop for services. In each instance, he has taken the time to completely explain the various aspects of the work he has proposed, and attached a price tag to it upfront. I have never walked in to pick up parts and been hit with sticker shock. In fact, he is the only person in my dealings within the marine industry who has ever come in under his quote.
Unless you have a personal experience to the contrary, perhaps you should change your post, or at least apologize for speaking out of turn on a subject on which you have no experience.
As far as Mr. Know it all and his croanies (guessing Im just one of his croanies) having something at stake; you are dead nuts wrong. I pay the same labor rate/hr that everyone else does. And I'm pretty sure the same applies for the rest of the crew. It boils down to respect; specificlaly having some for someone that is honest and hardworking. There aren't a lot of upstanding people in our industry, and when one of the few that is, gets cheap shots taken at him by someone who's never met him, it really pisses me off. You're entitled to your opinions, but don't expect no to get called out when you run your mouth about people you don't know.
Chris

wright27
02-23-2006, 10:03 AM
rondane
Flat broke laid it down pretty nice. I say rondane you don't know shit. Sorry that was out of line. There is lot of very helpful people in these forums who have taken the time to help me out with problems on my boat. I have only seen two of your posts in this thread and it seems all you can do is talk trash about people you do not even know. I guess some people just have nothing better to do. Jack is not a personal friend of mine, but my experience with his shop was great and I would go back and pay the same amount again, even if someone else quoted me a cheaper price.

Wally_Gator
02-23-2006, 10:17 AM
I was not going to chime in here until one comment I saw...
I have had dealing with a couple of the local "Pump Masters"
I can say this.. These are some of the most informative people around.
Regarding MPD and Jack McClure, he is hard to beat for walk ins..
I can echo all of Chris' comments but he has said it all.
One thing is Jack has always taken his time to stop and educate those that are not as well versed in Jets. His advice has mirrored many.
Are we gettig ready to see the Ford vs Chevy debate happen over Tom Papp and MPD?

86 catalina
02-23-2006, 05:24 PM
papp/mpd i did not know anything about jets, pumps, shops, etc untill i delt with you guys on the subject>>I dont know if you guys know me yet but my last boat was a 68 hallet flattie that i built from scratch v-drive.>I thought i would try jets ,and without the help from all you great guys i would would be up the creek without a paddle... thank you I have only had one problem on this site yet and that was from mr.havasu hangin(*a real know it all,and a smart ass*) to say the least..But i was the bigger person and told him grow up, im over it.Because of my maturity level we worked it out..But that is the only bad thing i could ever say about this site..All the rest of you fellas (minus other smart asses i havent had to deal with yet)this site has been a godsent ..1000 thanks to all the good guys out there...Hope to see you guys at the river......

Rondane
02-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Rondane,
I take offense to comments like that, even when they are not directed at me. Being that your location is stated as Ohio, I'm guessing you've never met Jack, and never had any work done at his shop. Working under that assumtion, what you've stated above is merely conjecture, and libelous conjecture at that.
Chris
sorry for the confusion chris and i'm sorry if my post offended you. It was in no way directed at a pump builder the likes of MPD. He is well known around this way as well. It just seemed the post of TPR being a better deal and the likes of mr. steelcomp(mr. knowit all) being right there to correct the guy without any first hand knowledge to dispute that fact i'd be willing to bet..got my goat a bit. Being he comes off as doing everything himself and being right there to defend as if it was his own makes me wonder is all. There are a few pump guys around(even in my area) that entice you with one price and then call you to say it's a complete loss and double it without hesistation. Just never know if it could be the case. Alot of guys are "oblivious" to these fact based on "reputation". Anything can happen at anytime. Why would a guy come on here and say "you can get it done half price somewhere else"??? Maybe you should get on him as it makes it look like a shop is overcharging for the same work. Understand? :) Actual prices are rarely discussed on forums such as these. Hope that made some sense as i have to write quick as dinners ready. Again no offense intended to any "gurus" in any way.

steelcomp
02-23-2006, 08:38 PM
sorry for the confusion chris and i'm sorry if my post offended you. It was in no way directed at a pump builder the likes of MPD. He is well known around this way as well. It just seemed the post of TPR being a better deal and the likes of mr. steelcomp(mr. knowit all) being right there to correct the guy without any first hand knowledge to dispute that fact i'd be willing to bet..got my goat a bit. Being he comes off as doing everything himself and being right there to defend as if it was his own makes me wonder is all. There are a few pump guys around(even in my area) that entice you with one price and then call you to say it's a complete loss and double it without hesistation. Just never know if it could be the case. Alot of guys are "oblivious" to these fact based on "reputation". Anything can happen at anytime. Why would a guy come on here and say "you can get it done half price somewhere else"??? Maybe you should get on him as it makes it look like a shop is overcharging for the same work. Understand? :) Actual prices are rarely discussed on forums such as these. Hope that made some sense as i have to write quick as dinners ready. Again no offense intended to any "gurus" in any way.
Stirring shit again, cable guy?
It just seemed the post of TPR being a better deal and the likes of mr. steelcomp(mr. knowit all) being right there to correct the guy without any first hand knowledge to dispute that fact i'd be willing to bet..got my goat a bit. :cry: :cry: :cry:
So, how much would you be willing to make that bet for? You sure have a lot to say about me without any first hand knowledge of your own. How TF does that work? C'mon, junior, put your money where your big mouth is. I'll bet my reputation and experience against that statement any day.
The guy that made the original comment had no first hand knowledge, since the price of what was done at MPD was never stated...only a breif outline of what was done. (So how would he know it could be done for half the price?)
He was clearly throwing out a prop for TPR, which I have no problem with...it was just a stupid statement...like most of yours. For any shop to do the work that was done, for half the price, would put them out of business very quickly, either due to not making any profit, or due to their work being so bad they lose customers. (that's the get-what-you-pay-for comment I made). There's nothing personal about any of this, it's just business. Why you have the need to make it personal, I have no idea.
Being he comes off as doing everything himself and being right there to defend as if it was his own makes me wonder is all.I DO do most of my own work, and a lot of work for others, as well. Why do you have a problem with that? The fact that I do my own work helps me understand just what goes into a pump rebuild like was described, so, in response to my not having any first hand experience, again, you're wrong. Again. I've also had MPD do several modofications that I didn't wish to do myself, and paid their price, so there's MORE first hand experience. I also buy most of what I need for my pump, that I can't make myself, from them. Jack has spent hours with me on the phone giuding me through the things that I do myself. I'm sure TPR helps their customers in the very same way, and I've never said either was better or worse. Jack is a gentleman, has excellent results, and is the guy I've chosen to work with, that's all.
There are a few pump guys around(even in my area) that entice you with one price and then call you to say it's a complete loss and double it without hesistation. Just never know if it could be the case.This is just a completely assinine statement, and just shows your immaturity and disrespect. You know nothing about MPD, and to even insinuate that this could be possible, proves it. Nothing further from the truth could be said. It's insulting and just stupid. Maybe that's what you're used to, but not at MPD.
Alot of guys are "oblivious" to these fact based on "reputation". What facts? You haven't stated a fact since you've been here on ***boat. :rolleyes:
Why would a guy come on here and say "you can get it done half price somewhere else"??? Maybe you should get on him as it makes it look like a shop is overcharging for the same work. Understand?Holy shit, you're joking, right? I DID get on him, you dumbass! And you blasted me for it!
LOL!
You really have nothing to offer these therads, except to cause trouble, do you?
Heeer's yer sign! :rollside: :p

steelcomp
02-23-2006, 09:02 PM
On what do you base what they "should" pay? In this case, it was all layed out before the guy, ahead of time. Do you really think he's going to get the same expertise and quality of work somewhere else for half the price?

steelcomp
02-23-2006, 09:09 PM
rondane
You either need to appologise for this comment and retract it, or justify it with facts and your first hand knowledge.
You think an education's expensive, try ignorance!

86 catalina
02-23-2006, 09:29 PM
take it easy guys.....I am somewhat new and we need to get over the b.s all chumps need to get to gettin everbody else thanks again for your quality info...

Cs19
02-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Why would a guy come on here and say "you can get it done half price somewhere else"???
Maybe you should get on him as it makes it look like a shop is overcharging for the same work. Understand?
Yes, understood.
This wouldnt be the first time we have seen an outrageous claim here on ***boat.

steelcomp
02-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Yes, understood.
This wouldnt be the first time we have seen an outrageous claim here on ***boat.You have no personal experience on which to base a comment like that! :rolleyes:

Cs19
02-23-2006, 10:17 PM
did i tell you about the time i switched from a bassett to a rewarder and gained a full second?

djdtpr
02-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Call Tommy at Tom Papp Racing and then Call Jack at MPD both do great work.Go with whoever you feel comfortable with and goos luck.

MudPumper
02-23-2006, 10:26 PM
did i tell you about the time i switched from a bassett to a rewarder and gained a full second?
Now that right there was funy. :D

Squirtin Thunder
02-23-2006, 11:04 PM
That is only because they are 100lbs lighter !!!

Rondane
02-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Do you really think he's going to get the same expertise and quality of work somewhere else for half the price?
You think an education is expensive....try ignorance! :D You love to twist words to make youself look good dont ya? I take it you have used tom papp/other shops and have first hand knowledge since it obvious your a fan of mpd? For some reason i doubt it. Again, back to your signature line right? You really should change it back to "Follow your cronies and rest takes care of it self". Do you work there or something? You still didnt mention what YOU do for a living if you work at all(4000 posts and you actually have time):rolleyes: Maybe you work for a CABLE company too?
rondane

wright27
02-24-2006, 08:38 AM
You think an education is expensive....try ignorance! :D You love to twist words to make youself look good dont ya? I take it you have used tom papp/other shops and have first hand knowledge since it obvious your a fan of mpd? For some reason i doubt it. Again, back to your signature line right? You really should change it back to "Follow your cronies and rest takes care of it self". Do you work there or something? You still didnt mention what YOU do for a living if you work at all(4000 posts and you actually have time):rolleyes: Maybe you work for a CABLE company too?
rondane
Thank you for sharing that with us. I had a hardtime making sense of it. I can honestly say I feel we are all dumber now having to have read that. Thanks again. :confused: :D

NJBA Donut Club
02-24-2006, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't even listen to those idiots, PM Timinator. These dumbasses chased him off the boards with their stupidity

bp
02-24-2006, 05:56 PM
well, you remember when i switched from a bassett to a hooker? dunno what i gained, but i sure felt a lot better.. :cool:

SmokinLowriderSS
02-24-2006, 06:06 PM
well, you remember when i switched from a bassett to a hooker? dunno what i gained, but i sure felt a lot better.. :cool:
Now THAT was funny. LMAO. :p

LVjetboy
02-24-2006, 06:46 PM
well, you remember when i switched from a basset hound to a hooker? dunno what i gained, but i sure felt a lot better.. :cool:
:)
jer

GTBOATS
02-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Anyone know a good shop that can work on my berkley jet,i wanted to have it serviced before i puyt my new engine in.I just built a 496 chevy roller motor for my boat and i am afraid that the jet might need a tune up before i put the engine in it>>Any idea of of any hipo parts i should have installed in it type of impellor(a,b,c?),bearings,gaskets ..etc.I live in lakewood .ca thanks the boat is a 21 foot open bow..here is a pic of my boat also..
WE CAN HELP YOU WITH THAT. WE HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR 38 YEARS AN I HAVE BUILT THOUSANDS OF JET DRIVES.
DAVID G T BOATS 707 864 1924