PDA

View Full Version : Evolution Pontoon Boats

pussycat
07-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Got some horrible news last week! I received a letter from Evolution saying they were closing there doors. Most of you have seen them in Havasu. They are becoming very popular. I have some warranty issues with mine and they were supposed to take care of the problems I am having. They informed me that they were not going to fix my warranty issues.
Any advice regarding consumer rights and Warranty problems? It will take a few thousand dollars to fix whats wrong and Im not going to pay for it sense my boat is a little over a year old. Any advice would be appreciated!:(

Outnumbered
07-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Did they ever set-up a dealer in Havasu? If so, go to them. If the toon company goes BK, you are out of luck. Probably just better off to fix it yourself. I think the energy and time you will spend will drive you nuts and you will still end up where you are now. Sorry to hear that, they had some nice looking boats.

Nord
07-31-2007, 07:22 PM
I heard there was a lot of problems with their toons. No through bolts, stuff coming apart, rivets popping off. What problems did you have with yours??
Cool looking boats btw....
~NORD~

HokeySon
07-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Wow! That is quite a surprise. They have been around for a while and put out nice designs.
What did the letter say? Just "we are closing?" Are they filing for BK? Where did you take delivery of the boat? Who financed it (if anyone)?
I don't know Indiana law (which is where they are located). However, if there is any formal "winding up" process (and there should be if it is a Corp.), you will be a creditor in the same clss as everyone else with warranty claims. Impossible to say whether you would get anything without knowing a lot more facts (most times creditors of this type don't get anything if the Co is shutting down rather than reorganizing).
If I were you, I would demand more information from them regarding their plans and how they propose to handle your claims. You are not in a good spot though.

pussycat
07-31-2007, 08:12 PM
The Toon is solid. The nicest one I have been on by far. The letter stated that the boat business is tough right now and they are not able to make the profit they need to keep the doors open. They did mention that they were looking for someone to buy the company. If the company were to be bought All previous warranties would be null and void.
They are having problems with there carpet. They agreed to take care of it without hesitation this past spring but asked me to wait so they could find out if it was the carpet manuf. or the glue manuf. causing the problem. Also I have the first evolution with a 275 Verado. They should have rigged it with the longer center shaft. The current set up puts the motor to close the water line and gets splashed pretty bad while under way. The water makes its way under the cowling through the air intake at the rear of the motor and kills the bottom coil killing a cylinder. I am on my 4th coil. Evolution admitted to me they were having this problem recently with similar set ups. I really bummed because it is a great boat and any one who has been on one loves it.

Marty Gras
07-31-2007, 08:18 PM
Wow! That is quite a surprise. They have been around for a while and put out nice designs.
What did the letter say? Just "we are closing?" Are they filing for BK? Where did you take delivery of the boat? Who financed it (if anyone)?
I don't know Indiana law (which is where they are located). However, if there is any formal "winding up" process (and there should be if it is a Corp.), you will be a creditor in the same clss as everyone else with warranty claims. Impossible to say whether you would get anything without knowing a lot more facts (most times creditors of this type don't get anything if the Co is shutting down rather than reorganizing).
If I were you, I would demand more information from them regarding their plans and how they propose to handle your claims. You are not in a good spot though.
"Mr HokeySon", you seem to be one of the "flock of sheep" that thinks anything that has been "on sale" for more that two weeks is a "long player"! "Here I go again, talking about facts instead of kissing everybodies ass around here!" A young lady brought (we towed it in) one of those "toons" to our shop to have the wiring fixed. She told me she was the "sales manager" for the western area and would "pay any price" to have the boat running with all accessories working "within two days". She stated she had demo rides to do and MUST HAVE THE BOAT RUNNING!!! We got the wiring "fixed" and the motor along with all the accessories did work within the first day. On the second day, I looked over the entire boat and pointed out all of the "structural" and then "USCG", requirements that this boat did not meet! (I am DOT and USCG approved to make VIN numbers, I'm a boat builder) She told me how the "owner" was a guy with money and they purchased the "tubes" from another shop and built the boats "on their own ideas". I first pointed out that the "tubes" were attached with bolts and "lock washers", not "lock nuts!" I then offered my opinion that our shop would NOT be working on any more of this brand name, of boats. "We don't need the liability" of working on boats that "we feel" don't meet basic design/manufacture and USCG regs. Those boats do "look nice" but "our opinion" is that they were/are not "boats that we would work on in the future", because of #1, customer satisfaction, (how much will you pay us to fix ALL THE PROBLEMS??? we don't live on screwing you!) and #2, Basic USCG regs for wiring, and other mechanical problems. Sorry for those of you who did purchase them, we wish you much luck!

Marty Gras
07-31-2007, 08:19 PM
"Mr HokeySon", you seem to be one of the "flock of sheep" that thinks anything that has been "on sale" for more that two weeks is a "long player"! "Here I go again, talking about facts instead of kissing everybodies ass around here!" A young lady brought (we towed it in) one of those "toons" to our shop to have the wiring fixed. She told me she was the "sales manager" for the western area and would "pay any price" to have the boat running with all accessories working "within two days". She stated she had demo rides to do and MUST HAVE THE BOAT RUNNING!!! We got the wiring "fixed" and the motor along with all the accessories did work within the first day. On the second day, I looked over the entire boat and pointed out all of the "structural" and then "USCG", requirements that this boat did not meet! (I am DOT and USCG approved to make VIN numbers, I'm a boat builder) She told me how the "owner" was a guy with money and they purchased the "tubes" from another shop and built the boats "on their own ideas". I first pointed out that the "tubes" were attached with bolts and "lock washers", not "lock nuts!" I then offered my opinion that our shop would NOT be working on any more of this brand name, of boats. "We don't need the liability" of working on boats that "we feel" don't meet basic design/manufacture and USCG regs. Those boats do "look nice" but "our opinion" is that they were/are not "boats that we would work on in the future", because of #1, customer satisfaction, (how much will you pay us to fix ALL THE PROBLEMS??? we don't live on screwing you!) and #2, Basic USCG regs for wiring, and other mechanical problems. Sorry for those of you who did purchase them, we wish you much luck!

Marty Gras
07-31-2007, 08:21 PM

Marty Gras
07-31-2007, 08:22 PM

Marty Gras
07-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Sorry, I have tried to remove the extra posts, I'll try again.

Jyruiz
07-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Damn bro, how many times did you have to say that??:D

Marty Gras
07-31-2007, 08:31 PM
I put it up one time and Hot Boat seems to think "it's funny" to put it up MANY TIMES! I have tried 3 times to take the extra posts back, but I'm prevented from doing it. SORRY to those of you who have been forced to 'read thru' my "actual true story" so many times!

HokeySon
07-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Uh..... what???
JC has been around for 25+ years and I think they have good designs. I think I am on solid ground with those remarks (unless I am confused about JC making evolution toons) expecially since you agree their boats "look nice."
Not sure why the rest of this tornado of quotation marks and fragments was addressed to me, but I ain't no sheep!

dicudmore
07-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Uh..... what???
JC has been around for 25+ years and I think they have good designs. I think I am on solid ground with those remarks (unless I am confused about JC making evolution toons) expecially since you agree their boats "look nice."
Not sure why the rest of this tornado of quotation marks and fragments was addressed to me, but I ain't no sheep!
JC does make a line of boats called Evolution, but the boats they are speaking of here were from a company called Evolution...different deal. They were the wild/flame painted pontoons on Havi the last couple years.

Todd969
07-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Uh..... what???
Evolution brand pontoons, NOT JC model evolution.

HokeySon
07-31-2007, 09:13 PM
JC does make a line of boats called Evolution, but the boats they are speaking of here were from a company called Evolution...different deal. They were the wild/flame painted pontoons on Havi the last couple years.
Oh. Okay. Don't know anything about them, except they look pretty cool.
Thanks for the correction.
Delete the "surprise" and "indiana" parts of my original post then. The rest is correct.