PDA

View Full Version : Water in my fuel.. YIKES!!

shmuck2002
07-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi guys,
I just got my first Jet boat a few months ago, it's a '78 Ranger hull, 18', with a Ford 460, Bassett short-tube headers, Edelbrock 600 carb, Berkeley pump.
The boat has two 10 gal saddle tanks. Long story short, I took my boat out the other day, it ran normally for about 2 minutes, then sputtered and died, wouldnt start. Sounded like a dead fuel pump (meat grinder anyone??! I have one for sale!!), so I brought her home, and put a new Holley 110 electric pump, 5psi regulator, and new fuel filters. Still wouldnt fire.
Pulled the fuel line off the carb, and noticed a few drops of what came out was WATER. BAD BAD!!! I immidiately inspected and found the problem, one of the fuel filling caps had a crack in the gelcoat, and some warping, where water had gotten in there. the other tank (drivers side), was fine, no water.
I pulled the fuel line off the carb again, and ran it on the good tank for about a gallon or more, to make sure all the contaminated fuel was flushed out into a container, then hooked back up normally. After a bit of cranking and not firing on all 8, she finally smoothed out and started running normally. I'm planning to take her out again tomorrow and running a full tank thru the "good" tank, to make sure all is well.
My question is this (Finally.. I know, sorry!): Have I overlooked any potential issues that may cause damage? I should be fine if I run only on my good tank, correct? BTW, this is not a "get around to it sometime" fix on the contaminated tank, I just want to know if I have to cancel our family boating/camping trip, or if all will be fine running on the good tank for the weekend, then getting the other tank properly flushed and fixed ASAP.
My logic and experience tells me this should not be a problem, but I want to make sure I am not overlooking something! Thanks in advance for your help!
Joe

boats&bars
07-31-2007, 10:00 PM
It should be fine, I would install a water separator,drain both tanks and fill em with some fresh fuel, and go have fun,

boats&bars
07-31-2007, 10:03 PM
you can buy the seperator at west marine for $45 bucks $65 for the drainable style, make sure that you run both tanks to the seperator with a tee. Good luck have fun on your trip.

shmuck2002
08-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks Boats&Bars!
I went ahead and repaired the crack in the glass next to the gas cap this morning.
Pumped the tank dry, filled it back up with 2 gallons and pumped it dry again, and filled her back up full. Then I pumped about 1/2 gallon into a clear container to check for any contaminants on the bottom or top, she looks clean! Fired right back up, so I think I'm back in business!!
Tonight's trip to the lake will tell for sure!
Side Note: One of the great things about living in the North-West is that it stays light till about 9:30pm in the summers... that means boating after work!!! =)
Cheers... Thanks again for your vote of confidence Boats&Bars!
Joe

boats&bars
08-01-2007, 03:33 PM
no problem ..........

BrendellaJet
08-01-2007, 04:05 PM
how'd it run?

ol guy
08-01-2007, 04:38 PM
You might want to think about how much water is still in bowls of you're carb.Pull the bottom screws out and drain into a clear bottle and take look for separatoin of water. May run great on trailer but put the screws to it and may lay down big time. Just trying to help have a good vacation. FYI isopropyl alcohol disperses water in gasoline...............M

centerhill condor
08-01-2007, 05:30 PM
I'd also recommend a can of "sea foam" in each tank. With small tanks you'll burn through all that in a day or weekend.
CC

shmuck2002
09-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey guys... I got got back on the HB forums here, we moved recently so things were a bit crazy. I did have a little hesitation initially, and I did as you guys suggested - I drained the bowls and could see some contaminants. After that, everything has been running 100%!
Thanks again for everyone's help. It has gotten pretty cold up here in the Pacific Northwest, so the boat is put up for the winter, so I am doing some cosmetic repairs, and getting ready to pull the engine to install a oil pan drain hose.