PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to install my rebuilt Berkeley have some questions

TIGGER
08-01-2007, 12:55 AM
So after a lot of work and help from you guys, I am about ready to install my rebuilt 12JC. When I tore the boat apart, I pulled the bowl, transom adapter, and the suction housing. The intake piece remained in the boat. Everything had silicone on it, making a mess to take apart and clean. I would like to know what are the tricks for installing the pump back into the boat and the do's and don'ts. What to look out for and when to use silicone. I want to do it right the first time and be able to enjoy my boat for the rest of the summer. As always, any help would be appreciated.

Devilman
08-01-2007, 03:53 AM
Main thing is to make sure all mounting surfaces are clean & free of any old silicone, gasket material, etc...
Where the suction housing meets the intake, I was told a thin layer of anti-sieze on both mounting surfaces was the ticket. Seals up nicely & if you ever have to pull the pump chances are the gasket will be reusable. I have since found this to be true.
If you pulled the bowl off, again, if the mounting surfaces are good & clean, it should seal. When I put mine together, I used only the bowl gasket, no silicone & it is leak free....
Far as the transom adapter is concerned, it will be sealing in two areas: around the bowl & against the transom. For the surface around the bowl, there should be a big O-ring, goes in the groove right where the bowl mates up to the suction housing. If the O-ring is in good shape, that should be enough to seal it. You may have to lube the O-ring up with dishwashing soap or something to help the transom adapter to slide over it. Mine was a bitch going back on, but it is sealed & there is no silicone globbed in there.
Some people use a gasket where transom adaptor mates up against the transom. I didn't have one, so I cleaned the adapter up real good & put a thin layer of clear RTV silicone on the mounting surface & let it sit for a few minutes to get "tacky" before putting it on. That kept it from squeezing the silicone all to hell when tightening the bolts up. That was done in late 2004, I've had the transom adapter off twice since then. I haven't had any leaks around it & I haven't had to add any more silicone to it either.
Also, I used a little anti-sieze on the bolts going back together with mine, didn't wanna take the chance of having one grow attached to the pump somewhere it wasn't supposed to. (Not alot, just a litte dab....:D)
I'm sure others will have tips or ideas to add, but all that is what worked for me. The actual mechanical aspect of re-installing the pump was a walk in the park, you should get it knocked out easily. Good luck to ya! :cool:

DelawareDave
08-01-2007, 04:27 AM
I used synthetic grease at all the gaskets. Thin coat, both sides. Silicone at the transom housing to hull. Dish soap to lube up the big O-ring to transom housing/bowl. Anti-seize on ALL bolts, including the aluminum nuts on the steering tube, if used.
Only leak encountered so far was the handhole/cleanout. Oops. Guess tightening the nuts would have helped! :rolleyes:

TIGGER
08-01-2007, 09:18 PM
I have the transom adapter gasket in my kit. Should I use silicone on it?