PDA

View Full Version : Soft Water ?

XFactor
08-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Any suggestions on where to get a softwater system. I had Culligan come and give me a qoute. $2300 seems a little high for just soft water. Any other companises that are more reasonable.

BoatPI
08-01-2007, 07:20 AM
I guy in Havasu installs softners and a filter for about $700.

Mr. C
08-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Does that include the water purifier tank for under the sink and filter for the frig?
The water softerner unit i have from them was about that much, we were using the tanks they replace every month but they didn't work good enough or last long enough for us (family of 5).
The one we have now will cycle the system when needed. I have also not had any problems with mine (yet) going on 8 years.
Any suggestions on where to get a softwater system. I had Culligan come and give me a qoute. $2300 seems a little high for just soft water. Any other companises that are more reasonable.

BoatPI
08-01-2007, 07:52 AM
yes, a good deal i think

Mr. C
08-01-2007, 08:05 AM
I thought it was alot of money at the time as well, but spending 50 bucks a month on tanks and not being satisfied help me make my decision. Takes about four years and it pays for itself.

little rowe boat
08-01-2007, 08:23 AM
In Havasu I called Rayne. They did a great job and have great customer service. The cost was about 800.00.

boats&bars
08-01-2007, 08:28 AM
I have a culligan system and it works well, but its a pain in the ass to change the filter at the sink, let them maintain it weekly or monthly and have them install a hose bib to wash your cars.

Hardly Satisfied
08-01-2007, 08:30 AM
In Havasu I called Rayne. They did a great job and have great customer service. The cost was about 800.00.
I 2nd that, Mine was around 800.00 they been in Havasu for a long time.

Mountainstone
08-01-2007, 08:38 AM
I have a culligan system and it works well, but its a pain in the ass to change the filter at the sink, let them maintain it weekly or monthly and have them install a hose bib to wash your cars.
Around here water softeners use salt pellets. If you wash your car on the lawn or water your lawn with the softened water the salt residue will kill your grass. Does lather up nice, though and leave fewer spots...

Ion
08-01-2007, 09:14 AM
I had an existing system that was on monthly lease from Rayne. I ended up buying the unit for $250.00-$300.00 (can't recall exactly, it's been awhile) And...I second that customer service sentiment!

little rowe boat
08-01-2007, 09:22 AM
My cost included a reverse osmosis system also.

bohica
08-01-2007, 09:40 AM
If you wan the best, get a Kinetico system.;)

XFactor
08-01-2007, 10:11 AM
I put a water purification system in 2 years ago. It removes all the harmful chemicals and leaves the nutrients in the water. I need softwater for hard water spots and laundry. Why the HUGE difference in cost between Havasu and L.A.? Havasu = $800 & L.A. = $2300. That seems crazy to me.:confused:

HavasuHome
08-01-2007, 02:16 PM
We have a Sears water softener and r/o system at our house in Havasu. All we do is add the salt. We run our bubblers for the plants off of the water before it goes thru the water softener. Cost of total system installed was around $800. All we do is add the salt to the water softener and change the filters on the r/o system when needed. Both the refrigerator and drinking water have filtration systems, so that is not a problem.

djunkie
08-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I put a water purification system in 2 years ago. It removes all the harmful chemicals and leaves the nutrients in the water. I need softwater for hard water spots and laundry. Why the HUGE difference in cost between Havasu and L.A.? Havasu = $800 & L.A. = $2300. That seems crazy to me.:confused:
I think you answered your own question. Its L.A. Get a quote for a pool to be installed in L.A. Its about double the price as out in Havasu.

HMF'er
08-01-2007, 07:34 PM
I use the Rayne soft water tank exchange program. Twice a week they come by and hook up a new tank. I pay $38/mo for the bigger of the two tanks (size of tank depends on water usage) and they hooked up the plumbing for free. No machine to buy or maintain, no salt to buy, just the monthly fee. I am very happy with this setup.

KineticoH20
08-02-2007, 02:25 PM
If you wan the best, get a Kinetico system.;)
This here is a smart man:D :D :D :D

KineticoH20
08-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Most of the electric water softeners give spuratic soft water and are problematic service wise. Any ***boaters who need softener help here in socal or have any questions I would be happy to help. Kinetico's are more expensive but are well worth the money.

BobbyB
08-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Most of the electric water softeners give spuratic soft water and are problematic service wise. Any ***boaters who need softener help here in socal or have any questions I would be happy to help. Kinetico's are more expensive but are well worth the money.
my old house had a Hague system (softner & RO), and it was a worry free unit for the most part. I didn't realize how good I had until I got in the new house with the Culligan system. I think I'll just take it out and call it a day, but the family has gotten used to the soft water, so I need to find a replacement. How does the KINECTICO system compare to the Hague or the Culligan systems price wise?

KineticoH20
08-05-2007, 07:43 PM
my old house had a Hague system (softner & RO), and it was a worry free unit for the most part. I didn't realize how good I had until I got in the new house with the Culligan system. I think I'll just take it out and call it a day, but the family has gotten used to the soft water, so I need to find a replacement. How does the KINECTICO system compare to the Hague or the Culligan systems price wise?
Less than Hague but more than Culligan but way better in quality. Kinetico is concidered the best water conditioning equipment. It is used in over 100 contries. It is the only non electric sstem in the world. It reduces service by not having motors, sensors, micro-switches, computers, and sylinoids. I have sold and seen it all and honestly Kinetico is in class by itself.

BobbyB
08-05-2007, 07:57 PM
I googled it and it looks cool. I will send you a pm with my contact info. Lemme knwo if you roll to my area
Thanks!

LHC Kirby
08-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Around here water softeners use salt pellets. If you wash your car on the lawn or water your lawn with the softened water the salt residue will kill your grass. Does lather up nice, though and leave fewer spots...
Most stores that sell softener salt also sell a water softener salt substitute called potassium chloride. The potassium chloride for softeners is just as effective as regular softener salt but adds potassium instead of sodium.:idea:
The cost of potassium chloride is a little more than regular softener salt but well worth the small increase if you have concerns about residual sodium in your water. Check the availability of potassium chloride and the difference in price, compared to softener salt, in your area.
and it WILL NOT kill you plants (potassium chloride) the salt pellets will. I put my own in, it was quite the job, but buying the system on the internet and sweating some pipes was fun and easy. It does not give you the slimy feeling, I even changed my system in Havasu to the potassium chloride as well. You do not need to take out the salt,:D simply start using the PC instead.

KineticoH20
08-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Most stores that sell softener salt also sell a water softener salt substitute called potassium chloride. The potassium chloride for softeners is just as effective as regular softener salt but adds potassium instead of sodium.:idea:
The cost of potassium chloride is a little more than regular softener salt but well worth the small increase if you have concerns about residual sodium in your water. Check the availability of potassium chloride and the difference in price, compared to softener salt, in your area.
and it WILL NOT kill you plants (potassium chloride) the salt pellets will. I put my own in, it was quite the job, but buying the system on the internet and sweating some pipes was fun and easy. It does not give you the slimy feeling, I even changed my system in Havasu to the potassium chloride as well. You do not need to take out the salt,:D simply start using the PC instead.
Potassium is 3x he cost of salt, and remember it does not have the exchange capacity of salt, therefore you must use 20% to 25% more. Actually soft water will not kill plants as we have 30,000 customers in the southland and have no problems. Yes brine will kill plants, but soft water is very low sodium, Potassium does give you the so called slimey feeling which is just the pores in your skin open and allowing natural body oils emmited (very healthy) both salt and potassium are chlorides. Potassium also has the ability to solidify in the brine drum and turn to a concrete (very bad) We always recomend a reverse osmosis to purify which will remove the salt or potassium anyways.

slingingsmoke
08-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Seriously....who has a LAWN in AZ???:D