PDA

View Full Version : vacuum pumps on marine engines???

badbug
08-01-2007, 10:07 AM
wondering if a vacuum pump would be wise in a marine application when it is a dual purpose ride around and drag deal. Motor is 572 bbc and turns 7000 rpms when raced. If it gave 20 more hp like they advertise, i might pick up one mile per hour and also keep oil blowby down out of breathers which is really not a problem. Just thought it might help

WannabeRacing
08-01-2007, 11:02 AM
It is awesome. No oil leaks. No blowby and free horsepower. Make sure you do not try and pull too much vacuum. Don't want to start drying wrist pins, etc. Don't want to weld ring lands either. Best bet is to get an adjustable vacuum release in the valley or something. Keep it in the 5-7 inches range for puttin' around. Maybe even lower. Then when you need to race, let it pull everything it can. Most systems with that much engine will pull between 10 and 11. Unless you get a killer, you won't see much more. Just don't want to pull it too dry in normal lake conditions.

Sleeper CP
08-01-2007, 11:02 AM
I was going to put one on my 565" Ford this yr. but I spent enough money on other things , and I need to figure out the best mounting location with the new interior in the boat. I have heard that they are a great idea, really great for oil control and the gained HP is a benifit.
I'm going to put one on this comming off season. The engine will probably go on the dyno again so I'll do back to back runs on it and post the results. I know there are a lot of different way to get them I'm going to get mine from Lukovich performance parts www.lukovichracing.com Jeff is a realy good guy and knows his stuff. He might be able to give you some idea's.
Sleeper CP

DEL51
08-06-2007, 07:33 PM
I really like my moroso 3 vane and I run anywhere from 7-11 inches depending on the amount of throttle. I have a 572 blown gas engine in a jet.Prior to the pump I tried a pan e vac system. Just a couple of check valves with an exit to each collector. That was worse than 2 tall breathers. I always had a mess. As Wannabe says, they are sweet.

cyclone
08-09-2007, 11:58 AM
wondering if a vacuum pump would be wise in a marine application when it is a dual purpose ride around and drag deal. Motor is 572 bbc and turns 7000 rpms when raced. If it gave 20 more hp like they advertise, i might pick up one mile per hour and also keep oil blowby down out of breathers which is really not a problem. Just thought it might help
You'll have to ditch the breathers and seal up the valve covers tight if you are going to run a vaccuum pump. you'll have a breather on the exit side of the pump that you can out anywhere you like though.
I run a Moroso 3 vane pump on my boat at the river and with the exception of having to drain the puke tank every so often, its works well.

Cs19
08-10-2007, 04:53 AM
and with the exception of having to drain the puke tank every so often, its works well.
so how often mike?