PDA

View Full Version : Internal balancing question

Crossbow_CA
08-01-2007, 12:46 PM
I am changing my pistons from Hypereutetic to Forged. I had the engine internally balanced with the old pistons. The machine shop says the new pistons are actually 3 grams lighter than the old ones due to a larger dish:eek:
Will this weight difference throw off my balance enough to make a real difference? My WOT rpm's were about 5200 with the old pistons.
Thanks

YeLLowBoaT
08-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I would think so.

Havasu Carrera
08-01-2007, 01:28 PM
So on the Power stroke. when there is thousands of pounds of pressure on top of the piston how much does the piston weigh?
I understand the reciprocating assy needing precise ballancing but the piston goes up (pulling vac. ) and goes down With GREAT pressure. Sooooo IDONO?! They put pistons in backwards in sbc for spec cars? They make MORE power that way. Just don't last to long. If you got it down that far you might as well ballance it cause someones gonna tell ya (I told you sooooooo!):D

VAMI
08-01-2007, 01:58 PM
You wont have to worry about 3 grams.i balance to with in 5 grams on the crank.

Blown to the Bone
08-01-2007, 04:08 PM
no problem at all. make them all weigh the same and run em.
you can go up to 30 grams lighter with no problem.

gn7
08-01-2007, 04:14 PM
first, the crank only see half the wieght of the piston which means your are 3 grams off for the pair on that crank pin, second, any time you go lighter on any part of the recip. you are just over balancing the crank which is fine so long as you don't get carried away with it, and 3 grams is nothing for an over balance.

Crossbow_CA
08-01-2007, 04:17 PM
OK, thanks a lot for the peace of mind. Now I have to get to work putting it back together:D