PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Jet boats?

mxbundy
08-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Anybody on here know anything about these.
I have a friend looking at boats and wanted some info on them.
He is looking at the 230 high output, 320 HP.
What do you think the fuel consumption be versus a typical 21 footer with a 350 merc?
Thanks in advance!

Havasu Carrera
08-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Some neighbors of ours just got the 2100 and have 10 Yes 10 hours on the first 1/4 tank of gas!! I don't understand it myself but they have been out 3 times!! I gotta figure they are funnin out of gas and the meter will show 1/2. Eaven 10 hours is good! Its their first boat and I guess low speed handling is impossible. (their not experienced jet boaters) or boaters. We installed some stainless dule rudder deals (against my better advise) the other night.:eek:
I thought this was a HOT BOAT web site!! Not big fat plastic jet ski site.

socalmofo
08-01-2007, 02:19 PM
A Friend of mine has the 230HO and it is a great boat. If I bought a small production boat that would be it for sure!

gqchris
08-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Some neighbors of ours just got the 2100 and have 10 Yes 10 hours on the first 1/4 tank of gas!! I don't understand it myself but they have been out 3 times!! I gotta figure they are funnin out of gas and the meter will show 1/2. Eaven 10 hours is good! Its their first boat and I guess low speed handling is impossible. (their not experienced jet boaters) or boaters. We installed some stainless dule rudder deals (against my better advise) the other night.:eek:
I thought this was a HOT BOAT web site!! Not big fat plastic jet ski site.
Like Havasu Carerrea said, say NO to the big fat plastic jet ski!
I do enjoy watching the newbies however drive them at low speeds wondering why they cant steer.
I had a lady last month when we were at the Avi ask me, "Why do you guys rev your engines when you are pulling in?" I explained that without it, a jet boat cant steer:jawdrop: ". She was cool about it, more curious than anything. Before I owned a jet, I always thought the guys were just revving for the f+++ of it!:D

Screemy1
08-01-2007, 02:22 PM
my friend has one...... cool family boat.... goes pretty quick, has power to pull a 220lb single skier up no prob. turns fast by cutting throttle on one engine as you turn..... kinda odd driving a jet with hand throttles, and the steering is like a sprint car, takes only half a turn from center to go lock to lock...... the best thing to me is the swim step on the back..... and they have a cool warning sticker about the jet.... it says something like "beware of high thrust water to enternal bady cavities (i.e. anus and vagina). Can cause bodily harm or death." funny as warning... when I was with him at the boat show the saleman didn't beleive me when I read it out loud......:eek:

Baja Big Dog
08-01-2007, 02:25 PM
my friend has one...... cool family boat.... goes pretty quick, has power to pull a 220lb single skier up no prob. turns fast by cutting throttle on one engine as you turn..... kinda odd driving a jet with hand throttles, and the steering is like a sprint car, takes only half a turn from center to go lock to lock...... the best thing to me is the swim step on the back..... and they have a cool warning sticker about the jet.... it says something like "beware of high thrust water to enternal bady cavities (i.e. anus and vagina). Can cause bodily harm or death." funny as warning... when I was with him at the boat show the saleman didn't beleive me when I read it out loud......:eek:
Introducing....the all new YAMADOUCHE

cxr133
08-01-2007, 03:08 PM
we have one and they are a good boat for the $$$... Plenty of Space, ride well.
TOP END SPEED leaves alot to be desired .. i have the throttle all the way down and barely pushing 47-50. But seadoo just came out w/ a 430 HP model so i think yamaha will be stepping up in the next year or two.
fawk ***boat.. do you know how many members on this site that dont even have boats.. its kinda ridiculous!!!

Jyruiz
08-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I think those are cool, they are good on gas and huge inside and like Screemy1 said, the swim step is way cool and maintenance is a lot less expensive.. If I was downsizing, I would definitely look at one.

gqchris
08-01-2007, 03:16 PM
fawk ***boat.. do you know how many members on this site that dont even have boats.. its kinda ridiculous!!!
This is so TRUE! They are the ones posting all day because they sure arent at the river!:)
I always stick by the old saying "Run what ya Brung!" I dont care if its a inflatable with trolling motor, at least you are on the water!

Outnumbered
08-01-2007, 03:26 PM
I test drove the 230 at Pleasant demo-days a few years ago. It is a nice roomy boat, has a very nice swim step, but I hated the ride and performance.
It pulls strong out of the hole and turns well but that is it. In the chop it is near impossible to hold a straight line or constant speed, feels like you are driving a bobber not a boat. The top-end is weak, it is loud and hollow sounding inside. I think the layup is light to help with power/weight ratio but this makes it feel cheap and loose on the water.
Overall, a good bang for the buck but after driving similar size I/O boats I would not want to own one.

shueman
08-01-2007, 04:24 PM
We just had a get together in Havasu last week-end. These Yamaholics love their boats... :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/606/medium/DSCF0225.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/606/medium/DSCF0235.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/606/medium/P7280099.JPG
Had 12 boats and over 40 peeps...we hang out here:
YamahaJetBoaters Website (http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/index.php)

pw_Tony
08-01-2007, 04:55 PM
I think those are cool, they are good on gas and huge inside and like Screemy1 said, the swim step is way cool and maintenance is a lot less expensive.. If I was downsizing, I would definitely look at one.
They might be cheap and gay.... but they ain't COOL:D

shueman
08-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Lots of them down Martinez way...:D

riverracerx
08-01-2007, 05:12 PM
For the money I don't think you can beat them (new).
I actually really like the new SeaDoo. It is 23'6" long. 12" draft. 430 HP and 57MPH.

pw_Tony
08-01-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm sorry, but this is just my opinion. I'd rather be in a $7000 bad ass jet boat than be in one of those. And you could have plenty of fun on a jet, I've been doing it my whole life. Actually I'd rather be in a $1000 70's jet boat than one of them. Don't take offense to it it's just how I feel about them

shueman
08-01-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm sorry, but this is just my opinion. I'd rather be in a $7000 bad ass jet boat than be in one of those. And you could have plenty of fun on a jet, I've been doing it my whole life. Actually I'd rather be in a $1000 70's jet boat than one of them. Don't take offense to it it's just how I feel about them
Me too...;) I miss my ol' bubbledeck. The Yami is a great "family" boat, to be sure...:)

Jyruiz
08-01-2007, 05:29 PM
You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.:D

Kim Hanson
08-01-2007, 05:46 PM
For the money I don't think you can beat them (new).
I actually really like the new SeaDoo. It is 23'6" long. 12" draft. 430 HP and 57MPH.
I would rather be in a paddle boat...........( . )( . )..........:D :D

Kim Hanson
08-01-2007, 05:49 PM
I still like my V-Drive, it just spank's the shit out of those jetboats.........( . )( . )...........OB ...just kills them fockers............:idea:

RiverRatMike
08-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Very cool pictures Shueman, I looked alot at the Yamaha boats, before I bought my FXHO Cruiser. I was out on one in Parker last month and loved everything about it. Hopefully someday I'll have one. :)
We just had a get together in Havasu last week-end. These Yamaholics love their boats... :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/606/medium/DSCF0225.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/606/medium/DSCF0235.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/606/medium/P7280099.JPG
Had 12 boats and over 40 peeps...we hang out here:
YamahaJetBoaters Website (http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/index.php)

lalhc
08-01-2007, 06:18 PM
I like them. I wouldn't want one for the river or Havasu, but I would buy one for where I live in Lake Arrowhead.

BoatPI
08-01-2007, 06:25 PM
I have two friends that have the 23' models and they are flawless after a year.

Outnumbered
08-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Have any of you guys had a chance to drive one of these? They are cool, have a lot of pluses, etc. In fact, I actually almost bought one before I got the Cobalt until I test drove it. I cancelled the sale after the test drive. I guess it just seemed like you were always fighting the boat to keep it straight and at speed. Not like driving a I/O where you can just point and shoot. I could not imagine pulling a heavy skier with it. I'm sure the ass-end must drift pretty good with a hard turn from a skier.

BoatPI
08-01-2007, 07:12 PM
There is a company in Florida tha tsells twin skags, like jet fins. They attach to all jet boats and completly change the steering. The company is Cobra Steering. I have a 2002 LS2000, and added them. Big change. These are a must have for any twin jet boat. I like the Yamaha so I can do PI (photo work generally) work along the river/lake 365 days a year

OCMerrill
08-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Decent package with a real plus for low river users. But....
My feeling is I would wear my teeth down looking at tach needles in the 9k mark all day.
Race bike engine or (they are R-1's) not 4 strokes have a bunch of shit moving and at that speed... how can these things last for many seasons?

Screemy1
08-01-2007, 08:17 PM
yeah... I love my 77 jet boat.... but with just my wife, son and me it is okay..... but when with our friends that have one.... it is nice to haul gear and family/friends..... excellent family boat.... reliable fun on the water that is affordable..... and that is what a lot of people could use now days..... and it is better for a family to get one of these then to go out and buy three lake licers and drag their gear in a tube to the beach and trade off who gets to ride....:eek:

Screemy1
08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Decent package with a real plus for low river users. But....
My feeling is I would wear my teeth down looking at tach needles in the 9k mark all day.
Race bike engine or (they are R-1's) not 4 strokes have a bunch of shit moving and at that speed... how can these things last for many seasons?
funny you say that.... when I was driving my friends.... the tach did bother me seeing those high revs........ being my truck with a v 10 and boat with a 454..... I like to see rpms below 5k..... and cruise below 3k..... and it was odd having to start the engines seperatly...... you normally have to be a BALLER' to have multiple engines......

MBlaster
08-01-2007, 08:36 PM
I thought about one. Then I thought about all the bitchen used boats I could buy for 30K.
Next.

Outnumbered
08-01-2007, 08:42 PM
I thought about one. Then I thought about all the bitchen used boats I could buy for 30K.
Next.
Exactly.

pw_Tony
08-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Next.
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!

78Southwind
08-01-2007, 09:48 PM
I checked out the Yamaha at the Pomona Boat Show and the 230 HO Yamaha definitely has a market. I have a jet boat, v-drive cruiser & a sea doo and I was raised on a deck boat so I am not partial to any type of boat but I understand that each boat needs to fit your purpose. The things that I really liked about the Yamaha are that it actually looked like a boat and of course the $36,000 price tag. The other things that I liked are that it has two jets and two engines so you could limp home if you have any problems with an engine or a pump. Lastly I really liked the lounging area. For a casual boater that is not real serious into wakeboarding and does not need a lot of speed to make them happy but likes to cruise the river and lake I think it is a great buy.
The boat that I thought was nicer than the Yamaha but would probably fit a similar market was the Cobalt 232. The Cobalt looks to be a much better built boat with hand laid fiberglass and a much better hull warrantee (10 year compared to 5 year with the Yamaha). However, the price difference was about $20,000.
I have never driven or ridden in the Yamaha but I have seen others on the river and they seem to be enjoying themselves. I would like to hear from others about the ride and the noise at 9,000 RPM’s.

Outnumbered
08-01-2007, 09:53 PM
I checked out the Yamaha at the Pomona Boat Show and the 230 HO Yamaha definitely has a market. I have a jet boat, v-drive cruiser & a sea doo and I was raised on a deck boat so I am not partial to any type of boat but I understand that each boat needs to fit your purpose. The things that I really liked about the Yamaha are that it actually looked like a boat and of course the $36,000 price tag. The other things that I liked are that it has two jets and two engines so you could limp home if you have any problems with an engine or a pump. Lastly I really liked the lounging area. For a casual boater that is not real serious into wakeboarding and does not need a lot of speed to make them happy but likes to cruise the river and lake I think it is a great buy.
The boat that I thought was nicer than the Yamaha but would probably fit a similar market was the Cobalt 232. The Cobalt looks to be a much better built boat with hand laid fiberglass and a much better hull warrantee (10 year compared to 5 year with the Yamaha). However, the price difference was about $20,000.
I have never driven or ridden in the Yamaha but I have seen others on the river and they seem to be enjoying themselves. I would like to hear from others about the ride and the noise at 9,000 RPM’s.
It is a great boat for th $$, no doubt. I agree with your points.

Cigalert
08-02-2007, 04:12 AM
I own one now, bought it last May.
It's sold as of this month.
positives:
-Roomy (I have the 21' and it seats 9 with a full 8'6" beam)
-2 engines
-priced just right
-tons and tons of storage
-the built in coolers are sick, they can hold over 120 beers, 2 cases of water and 75lbs of ice
negatives:
-gay sounding motor
-no speed (ever tried passing some neckbone not paying attention south of topock and you can't because your f'n boat only does 43mph)
-low speed handling touches children
-any chop tosses this thing right out of the water...especially havasu and mochoppy
Someone mentioned maintenance...sure per engine it's cheaper but if you want to take a chance on a dealership were their main deal is bikes then you're paying about $400 for your 10 hour cervix and it takes about a month to perform this task (at some places). That's $400 for an oil change on dry sump motors and some filters. No impellers, no drive...$400 gets you 3 quarts of oil and 2 oil filters. Yamaha customer cervix is a joke. $35k is cheap but you get what you pay for. I love the boat...I hate the company.
I should have a new "real" boat by christmas if that tells you anything about these yammies.

RiverRatMike
08-02-2007, 05:03 AM
Do the 10 hr service yourself and save. It's not the difficult to do.
positives:
-2 engines
-priced just right
-the built in coolers are sick, they can hold over 120 beers, 2 cases of water and 75lbs of ice
negatives:
-gay sounding motor
-no speed (ever tried passing some neckbone not paying attention south of topock and you can't because your f'n boat only does 43mph)
-any chop tosses this thing right out of the water...especially havasu and mochoppy
Someone mentioned maintenance...sure per engine it's cheaper but if you want to take a chance on a dealership were their main deal is bikes then you're paying about $400 for your 10 hour cervix and it takes about a month to perform this task (at some places). That's $400 for an oil change on dry sump motors and some filters. No impellers, no drive...$400 gets you 3 quarts of oil and 2 oil filters. Yamaha customer cervix is a joke. $35k is cheap but you get what you pay for. I love the boat...I hate the company.
I should have a new "real" boat by christmas if that tells you anything about these yammies.

liftedtacoma4x
08-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Check out www.yamahajetboaters.com

yopengo
08-02-2007, 07:34 AM
positives:
-2 engines
-priced just right
negatives:
-gay sounding motor
You just had a baby.....no toys for you. :D

thumbs
08-02-2007, 07:35 AM
So your "friend" is looking for a new boat......yeah right.

mxbundy
08-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Not me, sorry, My mind is made up on my next boat! Now if only the bank account was on the same page!
Derrick is looking!

mxbundy
08-02-2007, 08:02 AM
By the way guys, thanks for all the info, will pass it along!

thumbs
08-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Not me, sorry, My mind is made up on my next boat! Now if only the bank account was on the same page!
Derrick is looking!
Derrick should just man up and go down to Ultra and get the first 32'.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Ultra-32-Shadow-FC-renderin.jpg

Redwing247
08-02-2007, 08:15 AM
It depends on how you're going to use the boat (your needs). This is a great family boat and easy on the pocket book. Lots of room and tons of fun for family/kids, especially the AR series (get the HO), reliable motors and good fuel economy and pretty good handling boat with lots of characteristic of a jet ski (turn on a dime). If you want to run with the ***boaters, this is not the boat for you, top speed approx 50 mph (plenty for a family boat). Maintenance is simple, oil change $110 per motor (Castaic boat), great after sale service. Talk to some of the owners here or at the Yamaha jet forum, like any big purchase, do your homework. (The fin helps the idle steering).
Just my .02

mxbundy
08-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Yeah that is SWEEEEEETTTTT! If this has twins, $175,00 to $200,00 wouldn't be out of line! Yikes!:eek:
I still get misty eyed when I think about the Elim. 22 but the Ultra 27 is the same price?:idea:
But by the time I will ever be able to afford a boat on my own, who knows what the latest and greatest will be!

yopengo
08-02-2007, 08:23 AM
First...try fourth or fifth...:D

Cigalert
08-02-2007, 08:27 AM
You just had a baby.....no toys for you. :D
I need a mid cuddy for her to nap in. Waiting on a phone call today to see exactly when I'm putting my down on a 26' Sleek.
And it's not a toy...consider it a floating daycare;)

thumbs
08-02-2007, 08:29 AM
If this has twins,
With a boat like that it should be easy get a couple of hot twins.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/220493.jpg

HotRod82
08-02-2007, 09:20 AM
I always made fun of those things until I ended up with one in a trade. Granted, when the season is over I'm going to sell it but overall it is a great "utility" boat. Tons of storage, pulls skiiers great,totally reliable and you can crank the wheel and spin the thing out at 40mph! Horrible rough water ride but its not a bad entry level boat. This one helped fill the gap until the new boat is done...I would totally recommend one if you are the type that does not work on his own toys....these things are bulletproof.