PDA

View Full Version : Injection or not

COUGARMAN
05-12-2002, 07:59 PM
DOES ANYONE HAVE A OPINION ON WHEN TO USE THE STOCK INJECTION SYSTEM OR WHEN TO GO AHEAD AND PREMIX.I AM RUNNING 7000 RPM AT TOP END.THE MOTOR IS A 1997 225 PRO MAX. I USE THIS BOAT FOR FAMILY USE 95% OF THE TIME BUT SOMETIMES I SET THEM ON THE BEACH AND GO HAVE ALITTLE FUN WITH THE BOYS.PREMIXING SEEMS LIKE A HASSLE BUT I WOULD RATHER DO IT THAN BE SORRY LATTER. ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED.THANKS!
COUGARMAN

RiverForUs
05-12-2002, 10:27 PM
COUGARMAN DOES ANYONE HAVE A OPINION ON WHEN TO USE THE STOCK INJECTION SYSTEM OR WHEN TO GO AHEAD AND PREMIX.
After rebuilding the powerhead twice on my '89 Evinrude 175 XP I wish I'd have pre-mixed! I think I paid $3200 once and $3500 three years later. OOOUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHH!!!!!
RFU (John)

snappertapper
05-13-2002, 05:49 AM
if i remember correctly i think the 97's run off of an oil pump drive gear which is made of plastic so they do tend to have some problems i would unhook it, as i do on all of my motors even strait from the factory even though it voids the warrenty it is worth the hassle to premix

HavasuDreamin'
05-13-2002, 06:16 AM
If you have your motor serviced every year by a reputable mechanic, you should not have a problem with the oil injection gears. I ran oil injection for several years with no problems. Where you get into trouble is with higher rpm's and you are right there on the edge of needing to premix (in the gray area). I would say, anything up to about 6800 - 7000 RPM and you should be fine. You are at the top end of that range, it might be time to just bite the bullet and do it. It is messy and a pain in the ass, but in the end, you will not fry your motor as a result of too little oil. Good Luck!

Skaterfast
05-13-2002, 03:46 PM
If you have modified that motor,and it sounds like you have because the rev limiter is at 6800 on that motor,then start premixing.I've got 2 1997 225 Promax's and I've been told that it's one of the best motors Mercury has ever put out if you leave it alone.Carefull.