PDA

View Full Version : Stock Promax 300 vs Promax 300X vs Promax 300 SVS

Toffen
03-03-2001, 03:51 AM
Hi!
I have a Phantom 25 with a 1999 Promax 300 EFI. I checked out the new price on the Promax 300x last week, and the price of the 300 has increased with wopping USD 8000 in 1 1/2 year! In Norway you have to pay USD 31.100 for the new engine!!!!
If you import it you have to pay approx. the same due to custom and taxes...
This brings me to a possible new test: A stock Promax 300 versus the new Promax 300x versus a modified Promax 300 with SVS Brucato.
Do you have any idea if the SVS system add any more horsepower and rpm to a stock Promax 300. And if so - how much? Is it worth the money. Do you need to add a new ECU as well?
Since we pay USD 1,2 per litre in Norway. What about fuelconsumption on midrange (4.000 rpm) and WOT?
Cheers Toffen - Norway

thebone12
03-07-2001, 12:44 PM
I have already seen this question and their is a simple solution. The U.S. Magazine Bass and Walleye boats already answered this question. They say the new engine is not worth it. A SVS system on an older 300 promax with the rev limited removed will be faster for less money.

Scaryfast
03-25-2001, 08:11 AM
Hi Toffen. I think a lot of what makes the difference depends on the boat. Your boat will not benefit much from the extra revs, etc. as your boat is perfectly designed for what the 300 ProMax was originally intended. However, the 300X is a much better motor for a lighter boat like an Allison GrandSport (Darris would kill me for saying that), or a Bullet/Stroker bass boat as we've always had problems propping them for only 6200-6400 RPMS.
The SVS - even by Tony Brucato's estimation - is not a huge improvement just by itself on your motor. There are other differences between the two motors that generate the extra horsepower - it's not all rev limit. As a matter of fact, the 300X makes more horsepower at 6400 than it does at 6750, so the extra Revs don't help there. They were added as assistance to those of us who used the motor in a way that Mercury didn't think about. They thought we would use the 280 if we wanted higher revs, etc. But they should have thought about that when they gave the 300 ProMax the 300 designation. They should have known that even if the 280 makes more sense, we're going to put the motor with the most horsepower on these boats. :-)

Toffen
03-28-2001, 09:41 AM
Hi!
I consider to add some bolt ons when my engines warranty expire. However, the question is if it will work.
I am thinking of buying a modified ECM and ECU from Rapair/CDI + SVS Brucato package + a modified intake and reed cage assembly and modified exhaust tuners and high compression heads from PerformancePlusMarine.
CDI/Rapair and PerformancePlusMarine expect the engine to put out 40HP more with these mods. What do you think? What would be the best rpm (torque/HP)?
Cheers,
Toffen G