PDA

View Full Version : oil problem

john
08-01-2007, 04:52 PM
was out on the river yesterday my oil pressure at idle was 60 and 80 open. when i was bringing it in i noticed it was at 30. i checked the oil (moible 1) 15-50 syn its clean but 2qts low (14 qt pan) plus a oil cooler . oil pump is 2yrs old (high volume low pressure)

Warp Speed
08-01-2007, 05:20 PM
was out on the river yesterday my oil pressure at idle was 60 and 80 open. when i was bringing it in i noticed it was at 30. i checked the oil (moible 1) 15-50 syn its clean but 2qts low (14 qt pan) plus a oil cooler . oil pump is 2yrs old (high volume low pressure)
Was this 30psi at idle?
Do you have an oil temp gauge?
What engine is it?

john
08-01-2007, 05:38 PM
no temp 454ci
but i think i over heated the oil thanks for the input

Dogballs
08-02-2007, 07:23 AM
From my experience when the oil gets hot the presure goes down. You can always check your sending unit their cheap!

Cs19
08-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Fire it up again in the garage and check it when cold, chances are good its back to normal.. Its probably because the oil was warm like Balls said. Ive seen that before too.

Legal Chemistry
08-02-2007, 09:13 AM
If your using 15-50, the hot viscosity is 1/3 of the cold (15-50.) I would imagine that this kind of drop would be on par.

ol guy
08-02-2007, 09:51 AM
With multi viscosity oils this common. 50 weight at cold fire-up, 15 weight at hot running temp. Also 60# to 80# oil pressure seems high for a high volume-low pressure pump! And another suggestion, lose the mobil 1 and go to a straight weight racing oil ie; Valvoline Racing 40. Pour 1 quart of atf in the motor [to clean it out] ,Fire it and get it hot then drain and change. FYI the reason for racing oil is that the epa and other earth related agenccies have required all oil manufacturers to remove additives from daily driver oils that aid in break-in and lube qualities that extreme pressure vehicles and BOATS need. This is also wy some many new cams installed are going flat in 30 mins or less.

Warp Speed
08-02-2007, 05:37 PM
With multi viscosity oils this common. 50 weight at cold fire-up, 15 weight at hot running temp. Also 60# to 80# oil pressure seems high for a high volume-low pressure pump! And another suggestion, lose the mobil 1 and go to a straight weight racing oil ie; Valvoline Racing 40. Pour 1 quart of atf in the motor [to clean it out] ,Fire it and get it hot then drain and change. FYI the reason for racing oil is that the epa and other earth related agenccies have required all oil manufacturers to remove additives from daily driver oils that aid in break-in and lube qualities that extreme pressure vehicles and BOATS need. This is also wy some many new cams installed are going flat in 30 mins or less.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sleeper CP
08-02-2007, 05:51 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Yeah, what he said?:confused: :confused: WTF?
50wt/Cold 15 Hot? I learn something new every day:idea:
Sleeper CP

gr16241
08-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Diesel grade oils still have the additives that are necessary in our boat motors and are recomended at engine break in. I use Chevron Delo 15w 40 in my Ford Diesel Pickup as well as my Eliminator Boat. Some guys will break in their motor with Delo then switch to full synthetic. Personal choice I suppose.

ol guy
08-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Hey GR16241, Excellent choice on the diesel oil Delo 15/40 the best for a diesel. thats all I ran in my Peterbuilt, just not a fan of multi-viscousity oils in a boat.

Legal Chemistry
08-02-2007, 08:26 PM
My understanding is that the numbers are related to a surfactant level (basically stuff they go's up anything.) Water is 0 "weight". As the oil becomes warmer it thins out, hence the lower number. I'm sure someone can look up the actually definition -this is just off the top of the head. So the 0/20 oils are real thin... good for dyno number though.:idea:

Sleeper CP
08-02-2007, 08:47 PM
If your using 15-50, the hot viscosity is 1/3 of the cold (15-50.)
Can someone reconcile this quote with what is on the Mobil 1 web site about multi viscosity oils. Quote from Mobil 1 web site " Synthetics in general,and Mobil 1 in particular,are engineered to reap the benifits of wide viscosity ranges, which give you the protection of a high viscosity oil when hot, with the flow characteristics of a low-viscosity oil when cold"
Now, either Mobil 1 is screwed up and everything I thought I knew about multi viscosity oils is wrong or that above quote is wrong. Or am I screwed up and among other things, I don't know what viscosity means, or can they both be correct?:idea:
About the flow characteristics when the oil is cold. When our group rides our dirt bikes to Mikes Ski Ranch in Baja, Mexico in December if it's a cold Winter I make sure I put a 10-40 oil in the bike. Mke's is at 6,500+ feet sometimes it drops to the teen's at night. In the morning when we start the bikes those that use 40 or 50 wt can't kicktheir bikes over. The 10 wt of the 10-40 allows me to kick the bike over not the 40wt of the 10-40.
Somebody help me please.:confused: :confused:
Sleeper CP

IMPATIENT 1
08-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Diesel grade oils still have the additives that are necessary in our boat motors and are recomended at engine break in. I use Chevron Delo 15w 40 in my Ford Diesel Pickup as well as my Eliminator Boat. Some guys will break in their motor with Delo then switch to full synthetic. Personal choice I suppose.
all i run anymore is rotella t. if you guys will look at your comp cam tech info that comes with the cams, even comp says to run rotella for break in;) deisel oils have high zinc, and the oil is just made to take a pounding for miles and miles. alot of oil burning vehicles go 6-8k between oil changes. i've even notice steadier oil pressures runnin rotella.

john
08-02-2007, 09:23 PM
changed my oil now im at 38 psi so im going to do is run it tell it blows and then im done with boats not sure about cars i paid 118.00 for a oil change damn
o and party at ski beach this weekend just north of discovery park in sacramento ca,

Warp Speed
08-03-2007, 02:00 AM
changed my oil now im at 38 psi so im going to do is run it tell it blows and then im done with boats not sure about cars i paid 118.00 for a oil change damn
o and party at ski beach this weekend just north of discovery park in sacramento ca,
I wonder if the pick-up tube fell off??? (that's why I asked what kind of engine earlier, fairly comon on Chev's)
The last time I had mine out (with the old engine) I took a guy for a ride, and on the way back in, I noticed the pressure was low (30 or so from the normal 60-70), and fluctuating a tad. Knew what was wrong instantly (or hoped I did as I had sold the engine already!) Sure enough, laying in the bottom of the pan. Someone had ground it a touch to weld it, and never did. No harm, welded it up and it's back to 60-70psi and running great today. Chances are that if you didn't abuse it when it was low, you haven't hurt anything.
Hate to see you hurt your engine (or end your boating career) over something so simple to fix.
Warp Speed

Sleeper CP
08-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Can someone reconcile this quote with what is on the Mobil 1 web site about multi viscosity oils. Quote from Mobil 1 web site " Synthetics in general,and Mobil 1 in particular,are engineered to reap the benefits of wide viscosity ranges, which give you the protection of a high viscosity oil when hot, with the flow characteristics of a low-viscosity oil when cold"
Now, either Mobil 1 is screwed up and everything I thought I knew about multi viscosity oils is wrong or that above quote is wrong. Or am I screwed up and among other things, I don't know what viscosity means, or can they both be correct?:idea:
About the flow characteristics when the oil is cold. When our group rides our dirt bikes to Mikes Ski Ranch in Baja, Mexico in December if it's a cold Winter I make sure I put a 10-40 oil in the bike. Mike's is at 6,500+ feet sometimes it drops to the teen's at night. In the morning when we start the bikes those that use 40 or 50 wt can't kicktheir bikes over. The 10 wt of the 10-40 allows me to kick the bike over not the 40wt of the 10-40.
Somebody help me please.:confused: :confused:
Sleeper CP
Anyone, anyone can anyone reconcile the conflicting statements?
Bueller, Bueller , Farris Bueller where are you?
Sleeper CP

Legal Chemistry
08-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Here's a quick cut and paste
Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature.
I had the numbers backwards.... :idea:
higher number - higher viscosity. Your still running a 1/3 difference. What about running 20/40?

Sleeper CP
08-04-2007, 05:46 PM
I thought I was loosing my mind. I might be anyway,but this would have been over the top;)
Glad were on the same page now.
Sleeper CP

Ralph Brunt
08-04-2007, 06:19 PM
i'm glad you guys figured that out:confused: had me nervous there for a minute.
ralph

Sleeper CP
08-04-2007, 09:09 PM
i'm glad you guys figured that out:confused: had me nervous there for a minute.
ralph
It may not have showed but I was trying to be nice about it. ;)
Sometimes it works better when you're not rude or mean.
Sleeper CP