PDA

View Full Version : Hi all new to the site and jet boats

BILLET
08-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Like it says new to jet boats but not new to boating. I just bought a 75 challenger, 16' long with a 455 olds, dual 750 holleys on a offy tunnel ram, roller cam and roller rockers, bla bla bla.
I took it out for the first time today and it seems to run very well. The only real comlaint is the steering, it seems overly tight, it takes some effort to turn the wheel. I dont think this is normal so were do I begin to look. The boat has NEW CABLES and a new rack and pinion on it, are there any adjustments to be made?
Thanks in advance Billet

pw_Tony
08-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the site!:D
Got any pictures of your boat? Trust me everyone wants to see them.
What kind of condition is the steering cable in? Is it cracked or exposed?

BILLET
08-01-2007, 07:11 PM
The boat isnt quite pic worthy yet, the guy I got it from didnt pay much attention to detail so I'm pretty busy fixin all the little things. The cables are new and the rack and pinion is new

H20MOFO
08-01-2007, 07:28 PM
New Steering Cable Might Be In Order.

BILLET
08-01-2007, 07:32 PM
it is a new steering cable

Riverbass
08-01-2007, 07:35 PM
You might have a bend that is to tight.:idea:

Cas
08-01-2007, 07:36 PM
does the steering cable have too tight a bend to it? try to straighten it out.
When it comes out of the transom, does it go out straight to the tiller arm or is there an angle? it should be as straight as possible.
just a couple of things to check.

BILLET
08-01-2007, 07:39 PM
very cool thanks I'll check those out in the morninig.

suckin&pumpin
08-01-2007, 07:51 PM
welcome

OverKill
08-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Billet welcome to the CRAZZYNESS. First thing you need to do is call
PHIL BERGERON (480) 834-1531. Also you are behind in beer payments with Squirtcha?
OverKill :) :) :)

jetboatperformance
08-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Billet Welcome to the boards !! RE the "bind" in the new steering the most common and easily fixed problem is an overtightend Steer tube bushing (nuts on either side of the transom adaptor) this will cause the rackshaft to rub the inside of the tube. A tube bushing needs to have some movement to work properly but often get overtightened in attempts to correct leaks .A new bushing is a few bucks at any good Jet boat parts dealer Tom

OverKill
08-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Billet Welcome to the boards !! RE the "bind" in the new steering the most common and easily fixed problem is an overtightend Steer tube bushing (nuts on either side of the transom adaptor) this will cause the rackshaft to rub the inside of the tube. A tube bushing needs to have some movement to work properly but often get overtightened in attempts to correct leaks .A new bushing is a few bucks at any good Jet boat parts dealer Tom
Just call Phil Bergeron. He can help you out LOL.:)

Sleeper CP
08-01-2007, 08:28 PM
it is a new steering cable
You'll find that you might have to repeat yourself several times:D :D
But there is a good group of people here, welcome.
Sleeper CP

EAZYKILLER2006
08-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Like it says new to jet boats but not new to boating. I just bought a 75 challenger, 16' long with a 455 olds, dual 750 holleys on a offy tunnel ram, roller cam and roller rockers, bla bla bla.
I took it out for the first time today and it seems to run very well. The only real comlaint is the steering, it seems overly tight, it takes some effort to turn the wheel. I dont think this is normal so were do I begin to look. The boat has NEW CABLES and a new rack and pinion on it, are there any adjustments to be made?
Thanks in advance Billet
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/phlint/My%20Pics/Myspace%20posting/anim199.gif
just wanted to say hi newbie

OverKill
08-01-2007, 08:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/phlint/My%20Pics/Myspace%20posting/anim199.gif
just wanted to say hi newbie
EAZY KILLER
You both gonna be in Havasu between Aug 26th-Sept.4th perhaps??
My wife and I are usually Big River Peeps, but this year we rented a house in Havasu. Just thought we would say hi if we saw you up there.
OverKill

The Jerk
08-01-2007, 09:15 PM
welcome. I still consider myself new. I dont ask many questions due to the fact that the boat i bought is turn key and well still has been every time out. But like all things something will die and ill be scratchin my noggin giving the WTF????? hahahahahah.
Where ya from? and hurry with the pics....
jiMMy

BILLET
08-01-2007, 09:28 PM
welcome. I still consider myself new. I dont ask many questions due to the fact that the boat i bought is turn key and well still has been every time out. But like all things something will die and ill be scratchin my noggin giving the WTF????? hahahahahah.
Where ya from? and hurry with the pics....
jiMMy
Orange county Cali, but I spent my early years in New York on the Niagra River and Great Lakes.

ironman44bear
08-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Call Tom @ Jet Boat Performance. Great guy to deal with and has no problem answering all the ?'s about these jets. I know he answered alot of mine when I was building my Tahiti and he has great prices on parts to .. Just my .02
Oh and welcome..:)
Ironman

OverKill
08-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Call Tom @ Jet Boat Performance. Great guy to deal with and has no problem answering all the ?'s about these jets. I know he answered alot of mine when I was building my Tahiti and he has great prices on parts to .. Just my .02
Oh and welcome..:)
Ironman
Call Phil Bergeron (480) 834-1531. Great guy to deal with and has no problem answering all th ?'s about jets. I know he answered alot of mine when I was building my GT and he has great prices on parts to .. Just my .02
Oh and welcome
OverKill

ironman44bear
08-02-2007, 05:02 AM
Nut Swinger

502 JET
08-02-2007, 05:22 AM
Back to the origional question about steering.........
Disconnect the cable from the steering arm and try and move the nozzle side to side. If it is free its in the cable if not its the nozzle o-rings or bushings. The cable usually freezes up at the steering tube due to water infiltration. You should get a greasable packing nut for the steering tube if you don't have one.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-02-2007, 06:49 AM
PHIL BERGERON (480) 834-1531. Also you are behind in beer payments with Squirtcha?
Call TOM @ JETBOATPERFORMANCE.COM:) :)
805-466-4719

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-02-2007, 06:49 AM
Nut Swinger
:eek::eek: LMFAO:D

OverKill
08-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Nut Swinger
:D :D :D

BILLET
08-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Well I went thru all of the above mentioned sugestions and I have determined that the cable will need to be replaced do to poor workmanship of the previous owner. It was definatly bound up so I re routed the cable, it helped a little but it still just isnt right, so I'll finish the season with it the way it is and when I take it apart for paint and interior I'll just add a new cable to the old to do list.
Thanks to everyone for all your help, see ya at the river, I'll be in laughlin from the 18th to the 24th this month. Keep the dry side up.
Billet

squirt'nmyload
08-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Just call Phil Bergeron. He can help you out LOL.:)
Call Phil Bergeron (480) 834-1531. Great guy to deal with and has no problem answering all th ?'s about jets. I know he answered alot of mine when I was building my GT and he has great prices on parts to .. Just my .02
Oh and welcome
OverKill
he got you on the payroll over there or what????????????????????
:D :D

squirt'nmyload
08-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Well I went thru all of the above mentioned sugestions and I have determined that the cable will need to be replaced do to poor workmanship of the previous owner. It was definatly bound up so I re routed the cable, it helped a little but it still just isnt right, so I'll finish the season with it the way it is and when I take it apart for paint and interior I'll just add a new cable to the old to do list.
Thanks to everyone for all your help, see ya at the river, I'll be in laughlin from the 18th to the 24th this month. Keep the dry side up.
Billet
welcome billet......i'll be in laughlin 23rd-26th :)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-02-2007, 10:51 PM
he got you on the payroll over there or what????????????????????
:D :D
LMFAO:D :D Thats what I was thinking :D :D