PDA

View Full Version : Anyone put cyl. assist steering on their truck

Eliminator 4 Life
08-02-2007, 06:14 AM
I was looking into putting this on my truck and was wondering if anyone has done it or has ever used this company. Thanks for the info.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/index.php

phebus
08-02-2007, 06:18 AM
I know Chis from Prestige in Havasu just added Hydraulic assist steering for his Ford pickup. It was installed by Chuck at Accurate Auto. I know Chuck could give you all the information,and he is a great guy with a great shop.

Eliminator 4 Life
08-02-2007, 06:22 AM
I know Chis from Prestige in Havasu just added Hydraulic assist steering for his Ford pickup. It was installed by Chuck at Accurate Auto. I know Chuck could give you all the information,and he is a great guy with a great shop.
Please do. :D Hows the JC life????

Outnumbered
08-02-2007, 08:49 AM
I have always heard that they are not for street use (illegal). More for rock crawling etc. Not sure though.

Eliminator 4 Life
08-02-2007, 08:54 AM
I have always heard that they are not for street use (illegal). More for rock crawling etc. Not sure though.
Never heard that one before. I know lots of guys that have them on there fords and dodges...

Screaming Pete
08-02-2007, 10:41 AM
i have there steering box on the dodge 3/4 ton and i'm very happy with it , it's a lot easy'r to steer but touchier also. about 320$ for the box i put on with bigger gears in it than stock

riverbound
08-02-2007, 12:33 PM
I have no info, but am interested in what you find out.

djunkie
08-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Is there something wrong with the stock steering setup? I wouldn't think that would be needed unless you plan on taking it off the pavement. :confused: :confused:

Screaming Pete
08-02-2007, 12:54 PM
i ran accross them when i was shopping for a new pump and they wanted 700 bucks for a new one, i've turned a few peeps on to them and everyone love's them.

riverbound
08-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Is there something wrong with the stock steering setup? I wouldn't think that would be needed unless you plan on taking it off the pavement. :confused: :confused:
With the ammount of lift I have on mine the stock steering is pretty much maxed. i have been thinking of having all the steering redone with better/beefier bars, etc.... but have also thrown around the idea of doing a set up like this..... Plus Im thinking another 3" of lift and some larger tires would look pretty bitchen.

YeLLowBoaT
08-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I don't think they are legal in all states.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-02-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm a big fan of PSC. Great company great product.
You can get a fair price from www.rockbuggysupply.com
I have PSC steering on two rigs. On my Jeepspeed race car I have the box and I will be switching to the pump in the next month.
On my Crawler I have the whole system. Pump, Ram, Box.
Here is what I can tell you. This is on a rockcrawler not a lifted truck. The systems are all designed for the application so find someone who can talk to you about the big trucks for sure.
On the crawler
In the rocks there is nothing better short of full hydro. The car steers like a dream with 15" wide 38" tall Toyo's that weigh a ton and eat big rocks. I will break sh!t before it stalls the steering. The down side is that when I was driving fast and would let off the gas in a turn the steering would be a little slow. I ran into PSC at Moab safari a couple years ago and they suggested I remove the ram when I'm pretending to be Ivan Stewart. Since then I have not put the ram back on. The increased strenth of the pump and box has been enough for the rock crawling.
On the race car I noticed a huge improvment over stock just changing the box. I'm going to get a new setup with a quicker steering box next month and add the pump. Not the ram.
I have seen a lot of steering stuff get hammered when I was active in Pro Rocksports. AGR, and Howell, as well as some other less known brands would blow up. The PSC stuff seems to hold up fairly well. The desert guys seem to like the LEE brand stuff and Howell is also popular.
Good luck hopefully I added something you could use.
Sportin wood.

Ivan Dan
08-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm a big fan of PSC. Great company great product.
You can get a fair price from www.rockbuggysupply.com
I have PSC steering on two rigs. On my Jeepspeed race car I have the box and I will be switching to the pump in the next month.
On my Crawler I have the whole system. Pump, Ram, Box.
Here is what I can tell you. This is on a rockcrawler not a lifted truck. The systems are all designed for the application so find someone who can talk to you about the big trucks for sure.
On the crawler
In the rocks there is nothing better short of full hydro. The car steers like a dream with 15" wide 38" tall Toyo's that weigh a ton and eat big rocks. I will break sh!t before it stalls the steering. The down side is that when I was driving fast and would let off the gas in a turn the steering would be a little slow. I ran into PSC at Moab safari a couple years ago and they suggested I remove the ram when I'm pretending to be Ivan Stewart. Since then I have not put the ram back on. The increased strenth of the pump and box has been enough for the rock crawling.
On the race car I noticed a huge improvment over stock just changing the box. I'm going to get a new setup with a quicker steering box next month and add the pump. Not the ram.
I have seen a lot of steering stuff get hammered when I was active in Pro Rocksports. AGR, and Howe, as well as some other less known brands would blow up. The PSC stuff seems to hold up fairly well. The desert guys seem to like the LEE brand stuff and Howe is also popular.
Good luck hopefully I added something you could use.
Sportin wood.
Fixed that for ya Jeff! :D

79 HUSTLER
08-02-2007, 01:37 PM
I am pretty sure that hydraulic "assist" is legal but full hydraulic is illegal..
Hence why I am putting full hydro on my truck :devil: :devil:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Fixed that for ya Jeff! :D
Thanks I was stretching for the names of the others as it was.
You can always go with that company outta Texas.... Redneckram.
BTW follow the sig... Simmerdown now!:D