PDA

View Full Version : Always wondered why

RitcheyRch
08-02-2007, 08:18 AM
water skiers and wake boarders need to wear life jackets but surfers don't. Anyone know why? Curious is all.

I'mTheBeaver
08-02-2007, 08:23 AM
water skiers and wake boarders need to wear life jackets but surfers don't. Anyone know why? Curious is all.
I'm gonna take a stab cuz it's Thursday and I feel like being brave!
I think maybe becaue the skiers and wake boarders are around motor sports wear surfers aren't. (Even though surfing can be just as dangerous if they're surfing the super large waves.)

yopengo
08-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Â…because life jackets just get stuck in the sharks teeth. :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-02-2007, 08:28 AM
That is a good question and I don't know the answer.. LOL!!:D

RiverToysJas
08-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Do all states require life jackets to ski now? When I was a kid, people used to just wear a belt....and I'm sure that thing was not USCG approved for anything.
As for surfing...you're generally skiing faster and there more chance of getting hurt when you fall.....now all the surfers can tell me how they've been hurt worse and surf faster down huge waves... :notam: :D
RTJas :D

rocket98
08-02-2007, 08:31 AM
If you get caught inside the life jacket won't let you dive under the waves:)

Jyruiz
08-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Everything floats a lot easier on salt water.:D

uvindex
08-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Short answer: Because no nimrod nanny-state legislator has introduced such a law. :) (If there was a rash of surfer drownings, mark my words, some politician would introduce such a bill in order to "protect" his constituents...)
Another answer: Surfers are more like bathers (swimmers) than skiers or wake boarders. There's no law (yet, fortunately) requiring swimmers, surfers, boogie boarders, and similar to wear PFDs.

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Everything floats a lot easier on salt water.:D
toilets have some pretty good floaters as well. :jawdrop: :D :D :D

Jbb
08-02-2007, 08:36 AM
toilets have some pretty good floaters as well. :jawdrop: :D :D :D
eeeewww........Ma'am...:D

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-02-2007, 08:37 AM
eeeewww........Ma'am...:D
LOL!! It's in the blood.." Sir" :D :D

HM
08-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Life jackets would make it much more difficult to paddle, almost impossible to duck dive (paddle and submerge the surfboard under a coming wave or white wash) and I think would make surfing less safe in large wave conditions as one of the safer places to be if you are caught in front of large waves is to be able to go as deep as you can - can't do that with a life jacket on. People who don't surf don't really understand this.

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Life jackets would make it much more difficult to paddle, almost impossible to duck dive (paddle and submerge the surfboard under a coming wave or white wash) and I think would make surfing less safe in large wave conditions as one of the safer places to be if you are caught in front of large waves is to be able to go as deep as you can - can't do that with a life jacket on. People who don't surf don't really understand this.
I do and I understand.. well haven't surfed in a long time.. but it is safer for the surfer to be able to dive under the wave and also when you fall it to me is safer to go with the wave where it wants to take you rather then being on the surface. to me that would throw you face first into the ocean floor.:jawdrop:

RitcheyRch
08-02-2007, 09:22 AM
That makes sense. Was curious is all and didnt know where to search for the answer. Figured someone on here might know. Even one of my surf buddies didnt know.

Sleek-Jet
08-02-2007, 02:41 PM
People who don't surf don't really understand this.
Charlie don't surf...

No Name
08-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Because you would look like a big pu$$y wearing a life jacket when surfing. :D

HM
08-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Could you imagine being out at Lowers with a life jacket on? :D

Baja Big Dog
08-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Good thing the two Cali Bitches dont read HB, or IM sure they would have a bill passed in a hurry.:mad:

No Name
08-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Could you imagine being out at Lowers with a life jacket on? :D
You would definitely get some looks. :D

Glamasu
08-02-2007, 03:26 PM
And you would have a funked up tan..:D