PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Engineering Schools?

Zaairman
08-02-2007, 04:19 PM
So... I don't want to go back to Missouri. :D That, combined with the fact that Momma is wanting to move back "home" makes me want to transfer schools out here. Any good (reputable) schools out here that won't leave my ass hurting yet still lgive me a good education? Right now I'm going to University of Missouri - Rolla for Mechanical Engineering.

River Lynchmob
08-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Cal Poly SLO (San Luis Obisbo)

uvindex
08-02-2007, 04:29 PM
There are all kinds of good engineering schools in So Cal. As just one example, my alma mater CSUF will cost you about $7600 per year as an undergrad, including room and board (this is assuming you're a CA resident, of course. Non-resident tuition will definitely "leave your ass hurting.") If you're a commuter student then you can deduct all the room and board crap and live large at mom's. :)
Full details on the fees here (http://www.fullerton.edu/catalog/admissions_and_registration/feeinfo.asp#typexpenses).
Good luck! :)

YeLLowBoaT
08-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Cal Poly SLO (San Luis Obisbo)
he said that won't leave his ass hurting... Cal poly is not exactly cheap, nor is housing...

River Lynchmob
08-02-2007, 04:44 PM
I dont know tuition prices there i jst know it's a good school. God knows anything is cheap compared to USC...12 years later my ass is still swollen. :eek: :D

YeLLowBoaT
08-02-2007, 04:46 PM
I dont know tuition prices there i jst know it's a good school. God knows anything is cheap compared to USC...12 years later my ass is still swollen. :eek: :D
When I got out of hs( about 8 years ago) it was running about 40k a year.

uvindex
08-02-2007, 04:49 PM
he said that won't leave his ass hurting... Cal poly is not exactly cheap, nor is housing...Yep, and SLO isn't exacly SoCal. :) (But Cal Poly Pomona is, if he gets his heart set on Cal Poly.)

River Lynchmob
08-02-2007, 04:55 PM
When I got out of hs( about 8 years ago) it was running about 40k a year.
It was about 28K per year my first year there.

THOR
08-02-2007, 06:52 PM
The Clairmont colleges are great. UCSD is good as is CalTech.

CornWater
08-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Cal Poly grad here. Definately well respected in the industry...

uvindex
08-02-2007, 07:55 PM
The Clairmont colleges are great. UCSD is good as is CalTech.Do any of the Claremont colleges even offer Mechanical Engineering?
Um, he asked for schools where his ass wouldn't be hurting. Cal Tech undergrad tuition is over $28,000 per year!

THOR
08-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Do any of the Claremont colleges even offer Mechanical Engineering?
Um, he asked for schools where his ass wouldn't be hurting. Cal Tech undergrad tuition is over $28,000 per year!
I am not sure what disciplines of engineering are offered at the Claremont colleges. Caltech is surely expensive, but a great school nonetheless.
Cal Poly Pomona offers some good programs too.

XtrmWakeborder
08-02-2007, 08:02 PM
USC, California Institute of Tech, UC San Diego, UCLA, and UCI in that order....

CornWater
08-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Do any of the Claremont colleges even offer Mechanical Engineering?
The Claremont colleges used to just offer a "general" engineering degree and your expertise would be post graduate.

Zaairman
08-02-2007, 11:37 PM
San Diego (which in German means 'a whale's vagina') is too far south. I'm wanting to stay around the LA/Huntington Beach area. One of my friends out here recommended UCI ($20Kish for in state). I might be able to get in state tuition if my parents move here soon and I finish this year in the boonies... :idea:

HavasuSelect
08-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Cal State LA is on the quarter system. You can get done with it in half the time.

eliminatedsprinter
08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I am not sure what disciplines of engineering are offered at the Claremont colleges. Caltech is surely expensive, but a great school nonetheless.
Cal Poly Pomona offers some good programs too.
Harvey Mudd (one of the Clairmont Colleges) Is one of the best engineering schools on the planet and it is low priced, for a private college. It is also very, very hard to get into. The 2 Cal Polys (SLO and Pomona) are the best of the CSUs for engineering and they are very good values, although if you have to pay out of state tuition it will cost much more.

eliminatedsprinter
08-03-2007, 09:39 AM
he said that won't leave his ass hurting... Cal poly is not exactly cheap, nor is housing...
Both Cal Polys are CSUs. What 4 year schools are less expensive than they are???:)

gmocnik
08-03-2007, 09:41 AM
look no further than cal state long beach...
my undergrad m.e. degree from ucla qualified me to do nothing.
grad degree from csulb..very practical, industry based program...
all the others mentioned are great schools also....

uvindex
08-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Both Cal Polys are CSUs. What 4 year schools are less expensive than they are???:)I stand corrected. For some reason I thought the Polytechnics were more expensive than the regular CSUs (like CSUF, my alma mater). Learn something new every day. :)

Inland Air Balance
08-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Cal Poly Pomona,
As stated, well respected in M.E. Industry
my .02:)

CornWater
08-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Cal State LA is on the quarter system. You can get done with it in half the time.
Damn... Is that how it works? It did't go like that for me....
:rolleyes:

uvindex
08-03-2007, 11:18 AM
:rolleyes:Same here. My undergrad school was on the quarter system and it still took me five years. :)

Big Warlock
08-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Cal Poly or Harvey Mudd of the Claremont colleges.
I went to Embry-Riddle for Aeronautical Engineering. You don't want to know what that costs!!! And I do nothing in my degree program. LOL

CornWater
08-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Cal Poly or Harvey Mudd of the Claremont colleges.
I went to Embry-Riddle for Aeronautical Engineering. You don't want to know what that costs!!! And I do nothing in my degree program. LOL
I'd be willing to wager that the discipline of the major had something to do with your success... directly related or not.

talkinghead
08-03-2007, 08:28 PM
The "best" schools in So. Cal. is (engineering) IMO:
UCLA
Cal Tech
UCSD
USC
All of the above are very difficult to get into.
Alumni, ERE, Cal State

CornWater
08-03-2007, 08:32 PM
The "best" schools in So. Cal. is (engineering) IMO:
UCLA
Cal Tech
UCSD
USC
All of the above are very difficult to get into.
Alumni, ERE, Cal State
Any of those mentioned for civil, crap Maybe UCLA for hydro/hydraulics.

RitcheyRch
08-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Cal State Long Beach Grad here with a BS degree in ME. Cal State Northridge has a good Engrg curriculum.

XtrmWakeborder
08-03-2007, 10:43 PM
:rolleyes:
Thats because it doesn't work that way lol...:rolleyes:

talkinghead
08-03-2007, 11:25 PM
The CSU Schools do have good Engr programs (where I graduated from), but the elite are (so cal):
UCLA
UCSD
Cal Tech
Overall in the state IMO:
Cal
UCLA
Stanford
Cal Tech.
These schools have low admit rates - you have to be very sharp to get in to any of the above.