PDA

View Full Version : insurance offroad?

termiteguy
08-02-2007, 07:29 PM
my son was offroading at gorman and one of his friends ran into his truck.:mad: they agreed at the time to split the cost of the repairs to my sons truck as there was no damage done to the other truck. my son has made attemps to collect half of the cost to repair his truck with no sucsess. my question is does your insurance cover you for offroad? and is this kid liable for the damage to my sons truck as it was parked at the time of the accident.
thanks for the help rob!!!!!!!!!!

Mod VP
08-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Was the truck that hit him a ford ranger???

termiteguy
08-02-2007, 07:38 PM
yes how did you know? were you there?

Glamasu
08-02-2007, 07:40 PM
All depends how much info you have to give....I know some insurance won't cover if your so far off the paved road...

termiteguy
08-02-2007, 07:42 PM
not very far maybe 100 yards

Outnumbered
08-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Do yourself a favor and don't make the claim unless it is over $3,000. You will pay for it many times over in higher rates for the next 3 years. Just pay out of pocket and raise your deductibles if you have not already.

uvindex
08-02-2007, 07:46 PM
my son was offroading at gorman and one of his friends ran into his truck.:mad: they agreed at the time to split the cost of the repairs to my sons truck as there was no damage done to the other truck. my son has made attemps to collect half of the cost to repair his truck with no sucsess. my question is does your insurance cover you for offroad? and is this kid liable for the damage to my sons truck as it was parked at the time of the accident.
thanks for the help rob!!!!!!!!!!Some friend.
Yes, if the kid hit your son's parked truck then he (the kid) is liable for the damage to your son's truck (unless something funky was going on like your son's truck was parked in some really dumb place, like in a trail over a blind hill).
Threatening the kid with getting his insurance company involved (even if he wouldn't be covered because he was offroad) might get him to cough up the money. Sounds like this friendship is over either way.
Good luck! :)

Glamasu
08-02-2007, 07:46 PM
not very far maybe 100 yards
Give it a shot but I would be as vauge as possible about being "Offroad".....As far as the other guy being liable for damages????You can sue anybody but is it worth it in the long run???I would presume the friendship is on the rocks at this point.....Lawyers are expensive( No news flash there)....You might sick you insurance co. on him and see what happens.....either way your no worse off than you are now....IMO

termiteguy
08-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Do yourself a favor and don't make the claim unless it is over $3,000. You will pay for it many times over in higher rates for the next 3 years. Just pay out of pocket and raise your deductibles if you have not already.
the only problen is my son only has liability ins. on his truck because of the age 94 toyota so i was going to go after the other kids ins.

Outnumbered
08-02-2007, 07:49 PM
the only problen is my son only has liability ins. on his truck because of the age 94 toyota so i was going to go after the other kids ins.
Yea, but your insurance will probably cancel him if he is young and then he/you will be screwed. The claim is like a ding on your credit in the insurance biz. How much is the repair?

termiteguy
08-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Yea, but your insurance will probably cancel him if he is young and then he/you will be screwed. The claim is like a ding on your credit in the insurance biz. How much is the repair?
not to sure damage to the front fender door cab and bed side and suspention was a realy strait body not now:mad:

boats&bars
08-02-2007, 08:06 PM
be upfront and honest,
being vauge will just promt the adjuster to look further into the case,
it is a 94 toyota the insurance will use low blue book as a baseline to pay out the claim, they will also ask for a report and or a statement of facts.
more than likely if it was bad they will deem it a total loss, which isnt good. if they do pay out more than likely they will fault your son, Because they can recoup their loss through future renewals,
If its more than 3k you can try, But dont get caught lying (or being vauge) they call that insurance fraud and they dont kid around with it.
my wife is an agent and sees this all the time, typiclly most policies dont cover (off road) check to see if he was on a fire road or a unmaintained county road, witch most policies do cover. and the most important advise is to read the policiy and rider. it will say what they do and dont cover,
good luck I hope everything turns out ok.

uvindex
08-02-2007, 08:11 PM
be upfront and honest,
being vauge will just promt the adjuster to look further into the case,
it is a 94 toyota the insurance will use low blue book as a baseline to pay out the claim, they will also ask for a report and or a statement of facts.
more than likely if it was bad they will deem it a total loss, which isnt good. if they do pay out more than likely they will fault your son, Because they can recoup their loss through future renewals,
If its more than 3k you can try, But dont get caught lying (or being vauge) they call that insurance fraud and they dont kid around with it.
my wife is an agent and sees this all the time, typiclly most policies dont cover (off road) check to see if he was on a fire road or a unmaintained county road, witch most policies do cover. and the most important advise is to read the policiy and rider. it will say what they do and dont cover,
good luck I hope everything turns out ok.What claim? He said he carries only liability insurance. :)

boats&bars
08-02-2007, 08:32 PM
What claim? He said he carries only liability insurance. :)
good point I didnt see that................:sleeping:

Mrs.HLB
08-03-2007, 10:47 AM
thanks for the help rob!!!!!!!!!!
Have your son turn in a claim thru his friends insurance company to get his repairs done. His friends liability will cover your son's damages. The accident will not affect your son if he is not at fault. A chargeable accident is $750 or more. If the friend will not cooperate turn it in thru your insurance company and they should contact the friends insurance company and proceed.
Pm me if you need more info.
Good Luck
Mrs. HLB

CAHotRodBoy
08-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I've been wheeling at Gorman many times. I'm assuming he was in the OHV park which is a state run park and you usually stay on the trails (mostly dirt roads). If this is where the incident occured it doesn't seem any different than if he was at say McAurther park of Griffith or on a regular road. The other guy ran into him and should pay for the damage, not your insurance company. Now if he was bushwacking and rolled the truck over that would be a different story.

Brewzed
08-03-2007, 12:14 PM
sounds like a case for the Peoples Court or Judge Judy

Mod VP
08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
yes how did you know? were you there?
No,I know him and heard about it.....

pw_Tony
08-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Send me a couple photos of the truck, and the VIN on it. Make sure it's right. I'll write up a retail Estimate for it on my program for yah, so you wouldn't have to go running around guessing at how much it would cost to fix.
And I would go after the other kids insurance. If your sons truck was parked, even off the road, it should be covered. Yes insurance DOES pay for stupidity