PDA

View Full Version : what happened with the intake duct idea?

IMPATIENT 1
08-02-2007, 07:31 PM
anybody do any further testing or did the idea get scraped? sure looked to have some promise then it got dropped completely.

Unchained
08-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Duane never did any testing on it because he was too busy. The Duct went with the boat to Lake Texoma. The new owner called the other day and the lake was still 22' above normal level. He had not been able to get out much. He intends on trying it with and without to get some comparisons.
I bought the V drive and lost interest in jets.
Trying something with maybe a little less "Voodoo" to it.

Rondane
08-03-2007, 04:31 AM
Duane never did any testing on it because he was too busy.
should have just sent it to someone who would have appreciated it more. Dont be surprised if it comes back around in a few years with HTP stamped on it with no mention of an unchained. :D
rondane

IMPATIENT 1
08-03-2007, 05:34 AM
should have just sent it to someone who would have appreciated it more. Dont be surprised if it comes back around in a few years with HTP stamped on it with no mention of an unchained. :D
rondane
yeah, but we know who the 2 are who actually developed it;) :D

Taylorman
08-03-2007, 06:10 AM
rondane
Were you born a dick or do you have to try hard at it?

Sleeper CP
08-03-2007, 06:33 AM
anybody do any further testing or did the idea get scraped? sure looked to have some promise then it got dropped completely.
Just curious, what was the duct?
Sleeper CP

Devilman
08-03-2007, 06:38 AM
Just curious, what was the duct?
Sleeper CP
Here ya go Sleeper.....
I believe this is the thread where the subject of the intake duct first came into play....Nozzle Thread (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136018&highlight=nozzle+diameter)
This is where it continued...
Intake Duct (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136816&highlight=intake+duct)

Sleeper CP
08-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Wow I just blew a 1/2 hour spot reading those posts. Very interesting thanks.
I'll reserve a long winded comment for another day, but I'll say that those who believe the drag created by that thing would be greater than the lift created are probably on the right track.
It was stated by a few and they are correct: Air is alot more compressible than water, therefore that thing will create a hell of alot of drag and it will have to create more lift than drag to work. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
If my boat wasn't in such shallow water with sand bars every here I would have tried to place some type of fins(like small hydro foils) on the hull to create lift they could even be adjustable with a lever from inside the boat. I just don't have the time to go buy a Bayliner or old jet to try it out. Probably should have before I put it out here , but if it works for anyone just cut me in for a 15% commission.
Sleeper CP

IMPATIENT 1
08-03-2007, 08:38 AM
i thought it had some potential, at least in the area of safety.not everyone can afford jetaways;) but yeah, i'd bet it'd have a some drag. i thought maybe someone had tested it out by now and had some hard info on the results, just curious.

BrendellaJet
08-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Isn't that the point? I though this was supposed to be used as a safety device for shutdowns. If it creats drag(not lift), the bow doesn't steer and the driver doesn't get spit out.

Sleeper CP
08-03-2007, 09:09 AM
The drag it creates will be like dragging a parachute through the water. If the lift can offset it, it will equal out and it will be nuetral. That would be the best of both worlds.
Sleeper CP

Jet Hydro
08-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Theres no way that thing can work. :idea: If the boat did get up to any speed, it would suck water a way from the intake.
If I was to put something like that on my boat it would spit me out over the dash on shut downs.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220Duct1.jpg

BrendellaJet
08-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Theres no way that thing can work. :idea: If the boat did get up to any speed, it would suck water a way from the intake.
If I was to put something like that on my boat it would spit me out over the dash on shut downs.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220Duct1.jpg
Uhh pretty sure his boat was moving well over a hundred with it.

Sleeper CP
08-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Uhh pretty sure his boat was moving well over a hundred with it.
Is that info in the original thread somewhere?
Sleeper CP

BrendellaJet
08-03-2007, 11:03 AM
go here, first post 115 mph with more to spare.http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136816&highlight=duct

hotbo
08-03-2007, 11:34 AM
and once again i learn something:D everything ive been learned is never have any or much at all below keel.that sob looks like amajor issue there,but it worked so what the hell do ya say in this case.:idea:

Jet Hydro
08-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Wont work!!!!
just one of the BIG problems I see with it is:
:idea: As the water is lying still in the lake, The boat is moving along at speed. The Duct is a channel directing water, creating a vacuum sucking the water out the back side of the duct instead of driecting it up in to the intake opening.
Duane never tested it so there is no deta

BrendellaJet
08-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Wont work!!!!
Duane never tested it so there is no deta
The boat ran 115 mph. That is data! The boat owner had good experience with it, that is also data.

Jet Hydro
08-03-2007, 01:39 PM
What did it run with out it???????
It takes more then a GPS to get Data. He said he could have went faster but didnt want to, so just how fast could this boat run (with out) it and (with) it??? If you get that, thats a start on Data ;)
I`m calling Bullshit on this one ;) Sorry but it`s just my $0.02 :eek:
And if it would have worked Duane would have been all over it like fly`s on shit ;)

bottom feeder
08-03-2007, 02:32 PM
It takes more then a GPS to get Data. He said he could have went faster but didnt want to, so just how fast could this boat run (with out) it and (with) it??? If you get that, thats a start on Data ;)
And if it would have worked Duane would have been all over it like fly`s on shit ;)
Yea just like your sig says:confused: I will not post much on the subject but will say I have tested with DA. I do say if you look into it more their is more there than meets the eye. Much like Duane stated some time ago. How much drag do the loaders add. Also how does moving a ride surface add drag. I am not saying it will not add drag just questioning how much?

BrendellaJet
08-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Seriously, some innovator. You think because you add some fiberglass to the bottom of your boat that you are the cats phriggen meow. I call bullshit on you, hater.:o
Like others said, sure there is drag. The boat adds drag too, I dont see you ditching your hull surfing on your ride plate tuggin on your ski tow to keep the motor from goin under.
whata schmuck.

Unchained
08-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Drag again...............
And how would all that drag stack up to the drag of the rudder on my V drive ?
How about the drag of the prop shaft and the strut ?
Stupid me, I bought something with WAY MORE DRAG.
I'm amazed that it will even plane out.
And the performance including ALL THAT DRAG ? .............. :eek: :eek:
You don't want to know.
Some of those speculations of jet drive operation and what it needed and what worked, ............................:sleeping:
Have fun guys, .......... The jet drive is totally perfected and doesn't need any improvement. :rolleyes:

squirt
08-03-2007, 05:18 PM
The jet drive is totally perfected and doesn't need any improvement. :rolleyes:
Yeah but so are props;)
No really, good thinking out of the box Unchained. Just too bad the testing end has fallen thru. Now if you had designed a data controlled intake hole adjuster and tested that:jawdrop:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Seriously, some innovator. You think because you add some fiberglass to the bottom of your boat that you are the cats phriggen meow. I call bullshit on you, hater.:o
Like others said, sure there is drag. The boat adds drag too, I dont see you ditching your hull surfing on your ride plate tuggin on your ski tow to keep the motor from goin under.
whata schmuck.
Daaaamn!!!! :D :D :D

Sleeper CP
08-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Drag again...............
And how would all that drag stack up to the drag of the rudder on my V drive ?
How about the drag of the prop shaft and the strut ?
Stupid me, I bought something with WAY MORE DRAG.
I'm amazed that it will even plane out.
And the performance including ALL THAT DRAG ? .............. :eek: :eek:
You don't want to know.
Some of those speculations of jet drive operation and what it needed and what worked, ............................:sleeping:
Have fun guys, .......... The jet drive is totally perfected and doesn't need any improvement. :rolleyes:
I appreciate your sarcasm, but it's obvious that the trust created by the prop overcomes the drag that is there. The scoop is an all together different matter. But maybe the lift it adds is greater than the drag created so it maybe a wash or if it helps feed the impeller there is the possability of gain thru added efficiencey. If it works it works, but if it worked it probably would have found its way to the race track by someone...has it? And we all know that jets aren't the most efficient way to propell a boat across the water.
I wish the idea well because if it could add 5 mph to my CP I'll buy one in a heart beat. And so would any other performance boater if the price were right.
Sleeper CP

Unchained
08-04-2007, 03:13 AM
If it works it works, but if it worked it probably would have found its way to the race track by someone...has it?
Sleeper CP
And how would that have been accomplished ?
I put up many pictures of it to try to get some interest.
I put up many detailed explanations of what we were trying to accomplish.
I put up videos that showed the boat at high speed and what we felt were stable shutdowns.
I ran it for three years + and had what I felt were no negative effects from it.
I offered to send a duct to ANYONE to try out or analyze.
True there was a lot of support from open minded readers.
There also were people who had no comprehension of what it was and what it was supposed to do and they spewed all kinds of stupid shit. I can't believe how many thought the back of it was closed off.
In the end I'm glad to have TRIED to improve on the old jet pump. There was just not enough interest in new ideas so that's the bottom line. I can only beat my head against the wall for so long.

BigBlockOldsJet
08-04-2007, 04:16 AM
Why would you dare to claim BS on someones project when you can't match the performance numbers that Unchained has posted, all this from someone who runs 90 MPH. If you want to negatively comment on other people's innovative ideas better make sure you can bring it or STFU.

suckin&pumpin
08-04-2007, 04:51 AM
i will try it I can run run 48 to 53mph depending on whether I am going uphill or down:jawdrop: :idea: :eek:

Cs19
08-04-2007, 07:22 AM
There is a reason that part ended up in the corner of Duanes shop collecting dust.

Duane HTP
08-04-2007, 07:24 AM
I offered to test the duct, and still will if I get a chance. The boat it came off of was sold and the new owner took the duct before I could test it. My shop used to be in Kansas where the wind blows, (as does Rondane), almost constanty, so I never got a chance. I have now moved HTP to Table Rock Lake, (Shell Knob, MO), where the water is glass calm day after day. I am still more than willing to test the duct, and I think the boat that is was originally on would be the perfect and the easiest one to do it on. I know the man who bought it and he does not live all that far from me now. I am inviting him to bring it over to our new facality on Table Roak Lake this fall. We will put our data acquisition equipment on it and give all the information to you that we can. Rondane, You are peresonally invited to come along and watch and see what happens for yourself. Then maybe just once, you could give an educated comment on something.

Sleeper CP
08-04-2007, 08:36 AM
And how would that have been accomplished ?
I put up many pictures of it to try to get some interest.
I put up many detailed explanations of what we were trying to accomplish.
I put up videos that showed the boat at high speed and what we felt were stable shutdowns.
I ran it for three years + and had what I felt were no negative effects from it.
I offered to send a duct to ANYONE to try out or analyze.
Damn, kind of sounds like the 100 mpg carburetor. The damn thing works, just can't get anyone to buy it.:rolleyes: :(
Hate to make you re-hash old shit, but it is an interesting thread to me. Dare to be different- I like that approach. Wow, data for three years and no racers tried it out. Sounds like a problem Detroit has had for years the : Not invented here syndrome. To bad cause if it works on a gullwing I'm in.
Were you able to try it on different types of hulls? And I assume you did before and after testing.?
Sleeper CP

Sleeper CP
08-04-2007, 08:38 AM
There is a reason that part ended up in the corner of Duanes shop collecting dust.
That what I would like to know? Or should the answer be self evident?:idea:
Sleeper CP

Duane HTP
08-04-2007, 08:58 AM
"There is a reason that part ended up in the corner of Duanes shop collecting dust."
You are right. Weather, my move, and mostly time. We do most all of our new product testing in the fall after school starts when the lake is not crowded and business is not quite as demanding as right now.
But, I am very interested in what it really does or doesn't do. I think it's worth testing to find out. If for no other reason than to just stop some of the BS.
I am sending this thread to the man who now owns Unchained's old boat. If he's willing, we will test.

texas-19
08-04-2007, 09:01 AM
The drag it creates will be like dragging a parachute through the water. If the lift can offset it, it will equal out and it will be nuetral. That would be the best of both worlds.
Sleeper CP
I rode in the boat and i can say first hand that their was no feeling like a parachute being dragged throught the water.
Unchained had a digital GPS that showed 115 MPH + on the 4 passes he made with me in it and was still pulling very hard at that speed.
I can also say that it was very stable at speed and shut down.
Jethydro wrote:just one of the BIG problems I see with it is:
As the water is lying still in the lake, The boat is moving along at speed. The Duct is a channel directing water, creating a vacuum sucking the water out the back side of the duct instead of driecting it up in to the intake opening.
The only thing sucking was your comment,his boat was pulling hard @ 115 with no cavitiation.
I use to give you credit for trying new ideas but to bash someone elses idea that you know nothing about,well i'll just say i changed my mind.

Sleeper CP
08-04-2007, 09:35 AM
I rode in the boat and i can say first hand that their was no feeling like a parachute being dragged throught the water.
Unchained had a digital GPS that showed 115 MPH + on the 4 passes he made with me in it and was still pulling very hard at that speed.
[.
Wow, sounds very promising I will certainly reserve further commit on it after reading your post and Duane's. Wish the project well and I guess it was only on that one boat, was it a 19' pickle?
But, I wounder how that boat ran with the typical shoe ride plate set up?
Sleeper CP

Sleeper CP
08-04-2007, 09:37 AM
"There is a reason that part ended up in the corner of Duanes shop collecting dust."
But, I am very interested in what it really does or doesn't do. I think it's worth testing to find out. If for no other reason than to just stop some of the BS.
Thanks for the info. Once again sorry to have you guys re-hash old shit, but this is one of those things that interests me. Good luck with the project.:D
Sleeper CP

Unchained
08-04-2007, 09:55 AM
I remember that ride at Table Rock lake. We were hauling ass across the lake and after slowing down you said something like, "That far shore was coming up quick" LOL.
Your wife probably thinks I'm a corrupting influence.
It was great to meet you and your spouse and keep in touch through all this time.

Jet Hydro
08-04-2007, 09:56 AM
BrendellaJet I love your sarcasm, ;)
are you really that much of an idiot? If you think all I did was add some fiberglass then you really have no need committing on any jet topic. Call Bullshit on me all you want because what I did and do to other boats seem`s to be working with all Kinds of Data to back it up. Most of our testing has been done and backed up in the public eye at the races for all to see. Yep I`m BullShit`N ya....rotflmao
Now please tell me where I said one thing about "Drag"
Drag is the last thing to worry about with this duct. First thing you would have to do is figure out a way to get rid of the vacuum created by the channeling of the water. The faster you go, the more vacuum created! I can see many reasons why this Duct would not work. I cant see any thing it would be good for other then a good "bench racers topic" ;) Just my $0.02 but what do I know I`m Bullshitt`N ya....rotflmao
I`v been asked why we haven't let the "CAT" out of the bag on our new "on the go adjustable loader" yet. I`m smart enough to not make claims with out all the Data to back it up. When we figure it`s strong enough for lake boaters you will see a product that works with Data to back up the product ;)
schmuck maybe??? hater ??? No, not at all.
I dont see you ditching your hull surfing on your ride plate tuggin on your ski tow to keep the motor from goin under. WTF are you on???? you will never see me doing something like that either ;)

Jet Hydro
08-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Why would you dare to claim BS on someones project when you can't match the performance numbers that Unchained has posted, all this from someone who runs 90 MPH. If you want to negatively comment on other people's innovative ideas better make sure you can bring it or STFU.
I`ll be at the lake today with the Hydro So I guess you could say "I`m bringing it". Are you????
I`ll even bust out a few 1/8 mile passes and post the GPS for ya :D
BTW you are a little off on your MPH figures...lol... you need to step up a few years. Just some FYI we will be a PE boat at the next race we go to ;) you figure the MPH :idea:

Jet Hydro
08-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Jethydro wrote:just one of the BIG problems I see with it is:
As the water is lying still in the lake, The boat is moving along at speed. The Duct is a channel directing water, creating a vacuum sucking the water out the back side of the duct instead of driecting it up in to the intake opening.
The only thing sucking was your comment,his boat was pulling hard @ 115 with no cavitiation.
I use to give you credit for trying new ideas but to bash someone elses idea that you know nothing about,well i'll just say i changed my mind.
you have the right to change your mind but lets see the :idea: Data ;) I provide Data on each and every one of my Claims :)
Oh BTW how in the hell can he run 115 MPH + on back to back 4 times and still be pulling with out hitting 116 or 117 at least once out of the 4 runs? I try like hell to duplicate passes and I always come up with different mph`s and ET`s. At the races we can come real close but never perfect every time ;) at the lake it`s always way off on each pass as you never shut down at the same spot or start at the same spot.
Something sounds fishy here?

sdpm
08-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Very interesting concept I must say. My thought is " won't know until you try". The only thing that concerns me is what might happen if the front (entry) comes loose or breaks the bolts off and folds back or under or up(close's off water). I am open to any and all ideas. I still thing that the "JET PUMP" in general is still very primative and there is alot that still can be done with it. Don't ask me what that is because I have no idea but that is what I think. I wish "Pappy" Ross Wilder was still around! I miss you! Neil
Who and how did someone come up with this? Someone must know something about flow dynamics or engineering do attempt something like this. This wasn't thought about and tried by sitting around playing quarters and doing shots of 1800. :idea:

Jet Hydro
08-04-2007, 10:38 AM
one last thing and I`m done with this topic:
IF this thing is proven to work, I`ll take 2 that DAY. Make that 3 :)
gotta go play see ya ;)

sdpm
08-04-2007, 10:45 AM
one last thing and I`m done with this topic:
IF this thing is proven to work, I`ll take 2 that DAY. Make that 3 :)
gotta go play see ya ;)
Hey there Hydro. Just think about how many people told you that a jet in a hydro would never work and you were an idiot to even think about it! I think you have proved alot of them wrong. Maybe the same deal here. Just a thought.;)

Rondane
08-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Who and how did someone come up with this? Someone must know something about flow dynamics or engineering do attempt something like this. This wasn't thought about and tried by sitting around playing quarters and doing shots of 1800. :idea:
from what i have read here and observed, this unchained guy is for real and knows his shit. Everything he has done has been very carefully planned out and thought about extensively. He's no overnight sensation. That turbo'd stealth was one bad ass ride. He's not gonna put anything on it to put his life in danger thats for sure.
All jethydro should be given credit for is his hydro project,nothing more, even then he was riding kansas coat tails. Kinda even sounds like him now. Everything he is involved in is the shznit. Believe me when i tell ya a few years down the road just watch what happens. The DUCT by Hijack inc....i can see it now. He'll add one little change and call it his own. Just like the ratchet of dons pump service and the american turbine snoot.
Jethydro just read and learn. If your sponsor made it you'd be sure to have one. Epecially when you run over sandbars at 70mph locking your pump up like you've stated before. my .02
rondane

Unchained
08-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Just some FYI we will be a PE boat at the next race we go to ;) you figure the MPH :idea:
Steve, If you've got your jet hydro competitive in an 8 sec class you would be the fastest jet hydro ever. You must be around 115 mph in the 1/8 mi and 130 in the 1/4 ? Near as I can figure that would take 1300 - 1500 hp. You must have really stepped up your engine program. :idea:

Sleeper CP
08-04-2007, 11:31 AM
This wasn't thought about and tried by sitting around playing quarters and doing shots of 1800. :idea:
You don't know that, maybe it was:eek: :idea:
Years ago when I was talking to the Unlimited hydroplane guys every summer some one told me about a jet pump that was built that looked more like a turbo than a conventional Berkley pump. That is to say it had a "snail" shape to it and the water entered, ran through a impeller and was squeezed out the back through a snail and exited through a pipe that looked like an elephants trunks. I know it sounds funny but it was a one off custom part and the guy told me not only did it flat haul ass but the efficiency was equal to that of a three blade prop. I was told about this piece in 1987.
Bruce Crower told me I needed to figure out how to take the Ducted Fan system and apply it to a jet drive and then he said" well water is about 800 times more dense than air, not sure if that could work but if you could get it to work it would be great." Hey thanks for the thought Bruce.
Sleeper CP

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-04-2007, 12:23 PM
I wasnt playing quarters when I was at lakefest:D :D How have you been Neil?

BigBlockOldsJet
08-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I`ll be at the lake today with the Hydro So I guess you could say "I`m bringing it". Are you????
BTW you are a little off on your MPH figures...lol... you need to step up a few years. Just some FYI we will be a PE boat at the next race we go to ;) you figure the MPH :idea:
The only way that thing would ever qualify would be in a 7 boat field.

sdpm
08-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Damn Michael, I wish I had knew you then. Way too funny!! How you got out of there alive I will never understand! Just wait until you meet my good friend Jon (CP SLEEPER)/ (OBAMA)!:D I will try and get him and his brother out to Phoenix for the finals. Hope to see you also. Hope you are feeling better after your accident. Later bud. Neil

sdpm
08-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Home of the 44oz BIG GULP!!:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Damn Michael, I wish I had knew you then. Way too funny!! How you got out of there alive I will never understand! Just wait until you meet my good friend Jon (CP SLEEPER)/ (OBAMA)!:D I will try and get him and his brother out to Phoenix for the finals. Hope to see you also. Hope you are feeling better after your accident. Later bud. Neil
That makes 2 of us:D It was the thin blonde girl that drug me out:D

Jet Hydro
08-04-2007, 09:17 PM
from what i have read here and observed, this unchained guy is for real and knows his shit. Everything he has done has been very carefully planned out and thought about extensively. He's no overnight sensation. That turbo'd stealth was one bad ass ride. He's not gonna put anything on it to put his life in danger thats for sure.
All jethydro should be given credit for is his hydro project,nothing more, even then he was riding kansas coat tails. Kinda even sounds like him now. Everything he is involved in is the shznit. Believe me when i tell ya a few years down the road just watch what happens. The DUCT by Hijack inc....i can see it now. He'll add one little change and call it his own. Just like the ratchet of dons pump service and the american turbine snoot.
Jethydro just read and learn. If your sponsor made it you'd be sure to have one. Epecially when you run over sandbars at 70mph locking your pump up like you've stated before. my .02
rondane
I never road kansas coat tails or anyone coat tails as far as that goes. Duane did a little work on my boat back when I first started but the last 3 years it`s been all me "all the way". My pump has never even been detailed to this date. It`s been kept all stock the way it came from Aggressor. So`Try again and good night Mr No Balls.
PS.... the Hydro is not the only boat that I have done in the last few years ;)
If you look you just might find some info on an SJ Taylor and a Baja thats running a SBC ;)

Jet Hydro
08-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Steve, If you've got your jet hydro competitive in an 8 sec class you would be the fastest jet hydro ever. this is from pce680:
"Don Yates also had a Sanger Jet Hydro Ski boat back in (1976).It had a all aluminum 482CI chevy with 2 1050's on a tunnel ram.It ran 102 + mph at a NJBA race at Parker AZ"
he also states that it had No tunnels either like the other sanger jet hydros. I cant confirm this as he`s the only one that say`s it`s true.
I can hit 102mph in an 1/8 or less ;)
You must be around 115 mph in the 1/8 mi and 130 in the 1/4 ? Near as I can figure that would take 1300 - 1500 hp. You must have really stepped up your engine program. :idea: Unchained
I posted PE as it should have been "TE" My bad ;). either way you have to brake 100 in the 1/8 and "yes" the Hydro does that as we did step up the motor program.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/15497P1030572-med.JPG

Unchained
08-06-2007, 02:32 PM
The new owner of the Stealth, Harrison, called me a couple weeks ago and he does intend on doing some more testing on the duct but the water level on his lake was way up and there was still a lot of floaties around from the floods. He put his turbo motor in it and has run it a few times. I don't think he has the duct on it now so he can get a baseline mph.
Jet Hydro,
Harrison is in Ok. Maybe you can run him when he has the duct attached to the bottom of the boat. With the amount of negatives that you have found with your research it should be an easy run for you.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-06-2007, 03:01 PM
rondane
This from the boatless fuk who hates anything to do with HTP, and lies about DPS now that Don has passed.

ck7684
08-07-2007, 04:44 AM
Whats the point of all the bickering until this thing can be tested with data acquisition equipment?? :rolleyes:

IMPATIENT 1
08-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Whats the point of all the bickering until this thing can be tested with data acquisition equipment?? :rolleyes:
i'll test it:D

Jet Hydro
08-07-2007, 02:27 PM
And there you have it right there ;) :idea: I`v said all I`m gonna say
Unchained
and as far as a race, tell him to make the next race we do and "sure" I`ll line up next to em.
I will not do full passes on a lake, it has to be at a race site.

Jet Hydro
08-07-2007, 02:31 PM
i'll test it:D
:idea: For some reason they just keep passing your offer up :confused:

bp
08-07-2007, 03:14 PM
unchained and i had a nice chat up at red bluff. i don't really think he's all that involved or interested as to where this thing goes from here. all i'll say is the same things i've said before; anything attached that's sticking down below the keel creates drag.
when you have a boat where you can say: "i think i'll run an 0.01 this time", and come within a couple thousandths of hitting your mark time after time, maybe y'all will have a test vehicle that can actually prove or disprove the duct creates additional drag. based on things i've actually done, i think it'll add at least 0.15 to an et. but that's just my opinion based on more than 550 1/4 mile passes with the same boat.
steve, will you be in MF, OR the world finals?

Unchained
08-07-2007, 05:59 PM
It was nice to talk to you again too Bob.
Now you can see that even though I enjoy a good hearty discussion, for me there is NEVER any long term hard feelings about whatever someones opinion is. :D
I don't have a jet boat anymore and I don't intend on doing any R & D myself but I would like to see someone explore any possible lift benefits the duct may add.
It was after browsing a hydrofoils site that I seen how a small planing surface can add many hundreds of # of lift to a hull. The drag is minimal as compared to the lift.
Many times I mentioned that if the duct added lift to a heavy hull and added 5 or more mph to it that would be a lot larger market than the real fast (over 100 mph) market.

Cs19
08-07-2007, 09:54 PM
i think it'll add at least 0.15 to an et.
Ive done some of that stick draggin' too, 10 bucks says it adds more than .15

Unchained
08-08-2007, 03:33 AM
Ive done some of that stick draggin' too, 10 bucks says it adds more than .15
I got your drift a long time ago Chris,
"No idea could possibly have any merit unless it comes out of the MPD shop"
and,
"The jet pump is perfected and doesn't need any improvements"

IMPATIENT 1
08-08-2007, 05:48 AM
lol, i got mine fixed last nite, its gonna need a ratchet after what i changed up:D

Jet Hydro
08-08-2007, 06:12 AM
lol, i got mine fixed last nite, its gonna need a ratchet after what i changed up:D
Mine is still broken as I just havent had time to work on my own boat for the last two weeks. The parts are here but no time to install em...errrrrrr
It`s been in the 100`s this week so I guess the Hydro will be my lake boat this weekend :D :idea: Dont know if I`ll make TRR but if I do It will be with the Hydro :D

Jet Hydro
08-08-2007, 06:16 AM
steve, will you be in MF, OR the world finals? I dont know if you saw in the DBR paper but I have a sick kid so we arnt going to far from home this year. We want to but things arnt working out the way we wanted em too.

IMPATIENT 1
08-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Mine is still broken as I just havent had time to work on my own boat for the last two weeks. The parts are here but no time to install em...errrrrrr
It`s been in the 100`s this week so I guess the Hydro will be my lake boat this weekend :D :idea: Dont know if I`ll make TRR but if I do It will be with the Hydro :D
lol, you otta go and take it, doubt alot of those guys have ever seen a jet hydro. they're a good bunch of guys, i hate that i can't go$$$$$$:mad: but i'm tuning for broken bow races on labor day from now until then so i'd better stay local, near my tools:D

IMPATIENT 1
08-08-2007, 06:30 AM
I dont know if you saw in the DBR paper but I have a sick kid so we arnt going to far from home this year. We want to but things arnt working out the way we wanted em too.
is she getting better steve?

Unchained
08-08-2007, 11:35 AM
You mean like I have a skid full of these laying around ? :rolleyes:
I don't even have a jet boat to use it on.
I have all the dimensions on the duct.
I can have one bent up out of 3/16" stainless at a local shop for about $ 90.
It needs 8 holes drilled and countersunk in it too.
I will help facilitate fabricating one to try but I am not going to pay for it and do the machine work too. I have no reason to pursue this anymore. I'm one of them V-drive guys now. :D
When I had the duct off the boat I offered to send it to anyone and Duane was the only one who responded.
Maybe someone could borrow the duct from Harrison in Ok. and try it out.
His phone no. is, 580 564 7242
It bolts through the hull using the intake bolts. I enlarged the front four to 5/16" and used grade 8 bolts. I also made a stainless piece on top that the bolts thread into so it can be removed without having to hold each individual nut.

IMPATIENT 1
08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
You mean like I have a skid full of these laying around ? :rolleyes:
I don't even have a jet boat to use it on.
I have all the dimensions on the duct.
I can have one bent up out of 3/16" stainless at a local shop for about $ 90.
It needs 8 holes drilled and countersunk in it too.
I will help facilitate fabricating one to try but I am not going to pay for it and do the machine work too. I have no reason to pursue this anymore. I'm one of them V-drive guys now. :D
When I had the duct off the boat I offered to send it to anyone and Duane was the only one who responded.
Maybe someone could borrow the duct from Harrison in Ok. and try it out.
His phone no. is, 580 564 7242
It bolts through the hull using the intake bolts. I enlarged the front four to 5/16" and used grade 8 bolts. I also made a stainless piece on top that the bolts thread into so it can be removed without having to hold each individual nut.
i may give him a call. the reason i'm so interested in it is i have 1 damaged fin , i figured i could cut them down, use a duct and it'd serve the same purpose plus (hopefully) give me the same shutdown without chunkin me.for that matter i could make 1 with less horizontal fin:idea: i always thought it'd sell to peeps who have ugly fins like me. i had it fixed already.just took me foreve to reshape it to match the good fin:mad: been nice to hack em off, bolt on a duct and goooooo:D

Jet Hydro
08-08-2007, 01:04 PM
is she getting better steve?
Nope, going the other way but we knew she would. It`s only a matter of time and they will have to do a transplant.

Clockstart
08-08-2007, 10:53 PM
One of the MPD guys was running something that looked just like this duct at several Ming races earlier this yr. I wonder why everyone is so quite about this.
Clock

Cs19
08-08-2007, 11:11 PM
I got your drift a long time ago Chris,
"No idea could possibly have any merit unless it comes out of the MPD shop"
and,
"The jet pump is perfected and doesn't need any improvements"
I never said any of that you moron, why are you quoting me on things I never said or believe in? If you actually knew me you wouldnt be posting that. Ive got my personal view on your outlook on things but you dont see me fabricating quotes about you and your non stop efi/turbo BS we have to read on a daily basis around here do you? You are a real class act Mark.:rolleyes:

Unchained
08-09-2007, 03:32 AM
CS19,
Read again, It said, I got your DRIFT.

502 JET
08-09-2007, 06:29 AM
Does everything have to turn into a pissing match around here?:rolleyes:
If it wasn't for people experimenting with different hardware, brain storms, and ideas, jet boating would have never evolved to where it is today.
Most pioneers in history were shunned, laughed at, and still leading the way in the end. Innovative things are developed from stupid ideas, guessing, and trial and error.
I'm not a racer. I would try the duct, maybe it would make things safer or faster or slow you down.
Its only an idea to try and improve on something that is far from perfect. There is a bunch of other jet voodoo out there that people try with negative results for far more expense. Where are the pissing matches and debates over that?
It seems people would rather try to discredit someone who is trying to help out or improve on something than be of any help or share some of their voodoo secrets. That rite there is the BULLSH!T part of it!:)
Unchained,
Please keep up with your non-stop EFI/turbo BS. I for one don't feel it's BS. I wish I had the extra coin when my engine was being built to go with EFI. When I saw the video of your jet boat it was definatly an inspiration to step up my game. As for some of the others around here, thier definatly an inspiration to work on my V-drive.:crossx:
I wonder how many people laughed at the guy who said his EFI system will make the carburetor obsolete? He's still laughing at them, all the way to the bank!:jawdrop:

Jet Hydro
08-09-2007, 08:41 PM
:idea: Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space :)

jweeks123
08-12-2007, 12:50 PM
One of the MPD guys was running something that looked just like this duct at several Ming races earlier this yr. I wonder why everyone is so quite about this.are you talking about that tan daytona. they were working under it constantly but i couldnever get a good view of the hardware. that guy isn't normally so secretive
jw

Duane HTP
08-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Harrison, (the owner of the Stealth), called me this evening. We have made tenative plans to do the testing in late August or possibly in October, when ever our work schedules permit. We'll post results.

RCB19
08-12-2007, 08:16 PM
are you talking about that tan daytona. they were working under it constantly but i couldnever get a good view of the hardware. that guy isn't normally so secretive
jw
I can gaurantee you that no one in the MPD pits is running a duct or anything of that nature.

Unchained
08-15-2007, 07:36 AM
If it wasn't for people experimenting with different hardware, brain storms, and ideas, jet boating would have never evolved to where it is today.
Most pioneers in history were shunned, laughed at, and still leading the way in the end. Innovative things are developed from stupid ideas, guessing, and trial and error.
I'm not a racer. I would try the duct, maybe it would make things safer or faster or slow you down.
Its only an idea to try and improve on something that is far from perfect. There is a bunch of other jet voodoo out there that people try with negative results for far more expense. Where are the pissing matches and debates over that?
It seems people would rather try to discredit someone who is trying to help out or improve on something than be of any help or share some of their voodoo secrets. That rite there is the BULLSH!T part of it!:)
Unchained,
Please keep up with your non-stop EFI/turbo BS. I for one don't feel it's BS. I wish I had the extra coin when my engine was being built to go with EFI. When I saw the video of your jet boat it was definatly an inspiration to step up my game. As for some of the others around here, thier definatly an inspiration to work on my V-drive.:crossx:
I wonder how many people laughed at the guy who said his EFI system will make the carburetor obsolete? He's still laughing at them, all the way to the bank!:jawdrop:
Well that's kind of how I looked at it too. :D
Many times I posted that the duct may eventually end up in the dumpster and if it does then at least I tried SOMETHING. Maybe it will be cut on and changed and improved and that's OK too.
I had several much more radical ideas for the jet pump but from all the resistance I got about what I built I determined that the masses were not ready to try much else in the way of new ideas. I get the idea that some thought I overstepped my bounds as a mere lake boater.
As far as the EFI / Turbo BS. I calls them as I see's them.
I've been the carburetor and roots blower route. That's how it was done in the 70's. I'd like to think I learned something since then.
Certainly EFI is in the minority around here but MANY forms of racing have standardized on engine management systems and you could not be competitive without it. It seems to be that one builds up his engine similar to what he has seen on whatever web site he browses. Many here like roots blown alcohol MFI setups.
Well there are other web sites than this one pertaining to engine performance. A good one is http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php
Anyone who gets 2000 + HP out of a small block knows something better than the old school buildups in my book.
I can't count all the PM's I have received about the duct and EFI / turbo systems. There certainly is huge interest there on both.
I have recieved a few from pro racers who were dissatisfied with their MFI setups. They were ready to change to engine management systems.
This is a long time overdue.
I have a spare set of BBC stainless turbo headers and I will supply them as a sponsor to any racer who wants to go with a turbo / EFI program.

IMPATIENT 1
08-15-2007, 11:01 AM
One of the MPD guys was running something that looked just like this duct at several Ming races earlier this yr. I wonder why everyone is so quite about this.
Clock
lol, are you serious?

steelcomp
08-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Well that's kind of how I looked at it too. :D
Many times I posted that the duct may eventually end up in the dumpster and if it does then at least I tried SOMETHING. Maybe it will be cut on and changed and improved and that's OK too.
I had several much more radical ideas for the jet pump but from all the resistance I got about what I built I determined that the masses were not ready to try much else in the way of new ideas. I get the idea that some thought I overstepped my bounds as a mere lake boater.
As far as the EFI / Turbo BS. I calls them as I see's them.
I've been the carburetor and roots blower route. That's how it was done in the 70's. I'd like to think I learned something since then.
Certainly EFI is in the minority around here but MANY forms of racing have standardized on engine management systems and you could not be competitive without it. It seems to be that one builds up his engine similar to what he has seen on whatever web site he browses. Many here like roots blown alcohol MFI setups.
Well there are other web sites than this one pertaining to engine performance. A good one is http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php
Anyone who gets 2000 + HP out of a small block knows something better than the old school buildups in my book.
I can't count all the PM's I have received about the duct and EFI / turbo systems. There certainly is huge interest there on both.
I have recieved a few from pro racers who were dissatisfied with their MFI setups. They were ready to change to engine management systems.
This is a long time overdue.
I have a spare set of BBC stainless turbo headers and I will supply them as a sponsor to any racer who wants to go with a turbo / EFI program.
It's all about pushing the limits, IMO. For every idea that really takes off and is leading edge innovation, there are a thousand that fall flat on their face. One thing for sure is, the common denominator will always be people who want to rain on your parade. They typically have nothing better to offer, and nothing better to do.
I think I was the one who opened the can of worms about the drag factor re: the duct, but I never once said it was a bad idea...on the contrary. It seemed to serve it's purpose very effectively, in containing the high pressure under the pump associated with sudden shutdown. It was my understanding that this was it's initial idea and purpose. The drag factor was just an observation that hadn't been mentioned, and all the performance debate was after the fact of the safety issues. I think the fact that Mark was able to run as fast as he did with little or no stability issues was good testimant to the viability of the duct's effectiveness as a safety device, not necessarily as a performance enhancement. If performance could be gained by the duct, then all the better. I think the whole debate about the duct as far as a performance enhancement has gotten away from the success it shows as a safety device. There is a lot more room for testing and ultimately decding if it is truely "safe" but so far it seems to work. Every idea has it's downside and room for criticizm. That's what testing is all about. I hope that someone will run with this, and see just where it goes.

cyclone
08-15-2007, 11:48 AM
It's all about pushing the limits, IMO. For every idea that really takes off and is leading edge innovation, there are a thousand that fall flat on their face. One thing for sure is, the common denominator will always be people who want to rain on your parade. They typically have nothing better to offer, and nothing better to do.
I think I was the one who opened the can of worms about the drag factor re: the duct, but I never once said it was a bad idea...on the contrary. It seemed to serve it's purpose very effectively, in containing the high pressure under the pump associated with sudden shutdown. It was my understanding that this was it's initial idea and purpose. The drag factor was just an observation that hadn't been mentioned, and all the performance debate was after the fact of the safety issues. I think the fact that Mark was able to run as fast as he did with little or no stability issues was good testimant to the viability of the duct's effectiveness as a safety device, not necessarily as a performance enhancement. If performance could be gained by the duct, then all the better. I think the whole debate about the duct as far as a performance enhancement has gotten away from the success it shows as a safety device. There is a lot more room for testing and ultimately decding if it is truely "safe" but so far it seems to work. Every idea has it's downside and room for criticizm. That's what testing is all about. I hope that someone will run with this, and see just where it goes.
i have to question if the good (smoother shutdown) really outweighs the bad (added drag) here. My boat, depending on how i have the hardware set,has one of the bumpiest shutdowns i've seen. Still, its just something i deal with and has never put me in a dangerous situation. It bucks like a bronco and i just hold on for the ride. no big deal. If it bothered me that much i'd just tweak the setup and it would go away.

steelcomp
08-15-2007, 04:12 PM
i have to question if the good (smoother shutdown) really outweighs the bad (added drag) here. My boat, depending on how i have the hardware set,has one of the bumpiest shutdowns i've seen. Still, its just something i deal with and has never put me in a dangerous situation. It bucks like a bronco and i just hold on for the ride. no big deal. If it bothered me that much i'd just tweak the setup and it would go away.Not saying it's a better or worse situation, and in certain situations, that would be a definate concern, IF the duct was even a viable option. Your boat is just one example of thousands, and frankly, I'd be a little more concerned. If your boat is doing that, you're at a certain level of "out of control". At the speeds you're running, I'd want a little more predictability than "just going along for the ride". For all you know, you're right on the edge of something major just waiting to toss you, and maybe destroying your boat, and you. Maybe not, but the point is, it seems as if there's an "unknown" trying to tell you somethinig isn't right.
Also, there are plenty of boats that won't be so nice, and just toss you without warning. Is the duct an asnwer for every boat? Obviously not, but my point was that it seemed to accomplish the goal with little negative effect, except for some parasitic drag. Might be worth the trade off to some, not to others. Not my decision, or point.

cyclone
08-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Not saying it's a better or worse situation, and in certain situations, that would be a definate concern, IF the duct was even a viable option. Your boat is just one example of thousands, and frankly, I'd be a little more concerned. If your boat is doing that, you're at a certain level of "out of control". At the speeds you're running, I'd want a little more predictability than "just going along for the ride". For all you know, you're right on the edge of something major just waiting to toss you, and maybe destroying your boat, and you. Maybe not, but the point is, it seems as if there's an "unknown" trying to tell you somethinig isn't right.
Also, there are plenty of boats that won't be so nice, and just toss you without warning. Is the duct an asnwer for every boat? Obviously not, but my point was that it seemed to accomplish the goal with little negative effect, except for some parasitic drag. Might be worth the trade off to some, not to others. Not my decision, or point.
until someone actually tests this thing all you can do is make assumptions about it, much like you are about my boat. not much point in discussing it further until that happens.

steelcomp
08-15-2007, 05:22 PM
until someone actually tests this thing all you can do is make assumptions about it, much like you are about my boat. not much point in discussing it further until that happens.
OK, fine, Mike. Whatever you say. What exactly am I assuming?
Unchained had enough hours on that thing to prove, if nothing else, what it didn't do, and that was to not cause any ill handling effects, unlike whatever is going on under your boat.
Ride it, cowboy! :D

Cs19
08-15-2007, 07:53 PM
If it bothered me that much i'd just tweak the setup and it would go away.
Or just bolt a pop off on there..You wont loose any performance and the shut down will be a breeze.

Mike D..
08-15-2007, 08:06 PM
i have to question if the good (smoother shutdown) really outweighs the bad (added drag) here. My boat, depending on how i have the hardware set,has one of the bumpiest shutdowns i've seen. Still, its just something i deal with and has never put me in a dangerous situation. It bucks like a bronco and i just hold on for the ride. no big deal. If it bothered me that much i'd just tweak the setup and it would go away.
Mine Bucked hard enough to hear the steel braid lines banging on the floor of the boat. I can drive it down but I need alot of room to do it. I got my popoff valve working and what a difference it makes. I can land boat with little or no bucking quickly.

cyclone
08-15-2007, 09:49 PM
OK, fine, Mike. Whatever you say. What exactly am I assuming?
Unchained had enough hours on that thing to prove, if nothing else, what it didn't do, and that was to not cause any ill handling effects, unlike whatever is going on under your boat.
Ride it, cowboy! :D
I dont recall him saying whether or not it affected his top speed or ET. far as i know he never took his boat to a track because he didnt have one close by. So again smart guy, its all assumptions and uneducated guesses as far as i'm concerned until someone actually does a semi-controlled test of the thing.
my reference to your assumptions about my boat was regarding you saying it might be dangerous.

cyclone
08-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Or just bolt a pop off on there..You wont loose any performance and the shut down will be a breeze.
when Miersch starts selling the valve without all the other junk that comes with it I'll buy one. I'd rather not spend 2,200 bucks for the popoff and the controller i'll end up replacing.
I'll get one on the boat before i add that other button to the steering wheel.

steelcomp
08-15-2007, 10:10 PM
I dont recall him saying whether or not it affected his top speed or ET. far as i know he never took his boat to a track because he didnt have one close by. So again smart guy, its all assumptions and uneducated guesses as far as i'm concerned until someone actually does a semi-controlled test of the thing.
my reference to your assumptions about my boat was regarding you saying it might be dangerous.LOL...hey -smart guy- ...WTF is your problem? Are you realy that desperate for an arguement? You couldn't have twisted this around more if you tried. I'm not gong to get into this with you because you're clearly not interested in the topic. You and your boat are bitchen...we all get that.
I hope you feel better tomorrow.

cyclone
08-16-2007, 06:41 AM
LOL...hey -smart guy- ...WTF is your problem? Are you realy that desperate for an arguement? You couldn't have twisted this around more if you tried. I'm not gong to get into this with you because you're clearly not interested in the topic. You and your boat are bitchen...we all get that.
I hope you feel better tomorrow.
Actually I'm fine but it seems like no one can question you sir. Just because i say you are making assumptions doesn't mean you have to get all pissy. When it comes to my boat or this duct you dont have any firsthand knowledge so like i said before...... forget it. i'm not interested in arguing with you. have a good day.

Unchained
08-16-2007, 07:06 AM
I've got to admit, if nothing else these duct threads have been GREAT entertainment. I can't believe this thread has already had 1700+ viewers in just 12 days.
The other intake duct thread from Dec 06 had 6700+ viewers and there was lots more on other threads that were hijacked. :D
You never know, maybe someone else will be inspired to fab up something too.

Cs19
08-16-2007, 07:11 AM
I think cyclone and Steelcomp should go rounds over this :)
just my .02

IMPATIENT 1
08-16-2007, 08:16 AM
I've got to admit, if nothing else these duct threads have been GREAT entertainment. I can't believe this thread has already had 1700+ viewers in just 12 days.
The other intake duct thread from Dec 06 had 6700+ viewers and there was lots more on other threads that were hijacked. :D
You never know, maybe someone else will be inspired to fab up something too.
i knew it would when i started this 1;) but i thought if i brought it up again, maybe someone would get to testing it:idea:

Bense468
08-16-2007, 09:04 AM
IO's have lots of drag. How about 2 of them at 180 mph, but the efficency overcomes the drag. You still get good shutdown out of an outdrive, almost too good. Just a thought.
Carry on, I'm off to the river lol.

jweeks123
08-16-2007, 09:51 AM
congrats. you got the attention you've been seeking all along
jw

Unchained
09-10-2007, 02:48 PM
I got a call from Harrison, the guy who bought the Stealth from me, last Friday. He was at a big hot boat meet in Ok.
He wants to sign on here but he's one of a few that told me they had no success at registering.
Anyway I am relaying some of what he told me about the testing he has done with and without the intake duct.
He has a twin turbo motor (what else ?) with a big shot of nitrous and he is able to turn the AA impeller at the same 7000 rpm I did. He also ran it with a 9 1/4" impeller and a different bowl and that pulled it down to 6800 rpm.
I believe he said he was running 1/8 mi and was getting 112 mph +-
That's real close to the 113 - 116 mph I got in the same measured distance at the local river.
He said that it appeared to get a couple MPH more with the duct on. Any gain in speed would have to be the result of the fact that the floor of the duct is parallell to the keel and any attack angle of the hull is putting the duct at that same attack angle and giving hull lift.
Now this is not the be all and end all of scientific testing here. I am just reporting what he told me so don't anyone get all cranked up.
I thought it was positive that he didn't say it slowed him down.
I appreciate the testing time Harrison is putting into it. He could have just tossed in the corner, cashed in it for scrap stainless, or used it for a wheel chock. :idea:
He didn't report any shutdown negatives with or without the duct.

IMPATIENT 1
09-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I got a call from Harrison, the guy who bought the Stealth from me, last Friday. He was at a big hot boat meet in Ok.
He wants to sign on here but he's one of a few that told me they had no success at registering.
Anyway I am relaying some of what he told me about the testing he has done with and without the intake duct.
He has a twin turbo motor (what else ?) with a big shot of nitrous and he is able to turn the AA impeller at the same 7000 rpm I did. He also ran it with a 9 1/4" impeller and a different bowl and that pulled it down to 6800 rpm.
I believe he said he was running 1/8 mi and was getting 112 mph +-
That's real close to the 113 - 116 mph I got in the same measured distance at the local river.
He said that it appeared to get a couple MPH more with the duct on. Any gain in speed would have to be the result of the fact that the floor of the duct is parallell to the keel and any attack angle of the hull is putting the duct at that same attack angle and giving hull lift.
Now this is not the be all and end all of scientific testing here. I am just reporting what he told me so don't anyone get all cranked up.
I thought it was positive that he didn't say it slowed him down.
I appreciate the testing time Harrison is putting into it. He could have just tossed in the corner, cashed in it for scrap stainless, or used it for a wheel chock. :idea:
He didn't report any shutdown negatives with or without the duct.
GREAT NEWS! i'm gonna really watch this thing, i think the safety aspect of it is gonna make it alot safer for guys like me who can't drop x amount of $$$ on a jetaway.or course if it test well , s.o.b. will cost 1k,lol:D

Unchained
09-10-2007, 05:48 PM
UPDATE,
Harrison called me tonight and he won the Eliminator class at the Ft. Cobb outlaw race over the weekend with the 19' Stealth.
http://smoke-on-the-water.com/
He ran the 1st round without the duct and lost by 1 1/2 lengths to a local competitor arch rival of his from previous years. He installed the duct and won the next race by 1 1/2 lengths against the same guy because it was a double elimination race. They switched lanes and raced again and he won against the same guy again in the opposite lane. He attributed the increase in performance totally to the installation of the duct.
He had both fuel tanks full and a 50# nitrous bottle on board.
He was excited about the boats performance and is really sold on the intake duct now. Maybe there's more here than I realized. :idea: :D
He also told me about blowing a big section off the top of the bowl at high speed. The boat decellerated hard but went straight and didn't hop.
Anyone wants to talk to him PM me and I'll give you his phone number.
Mark

IMPATIENT 1
09-10-2007, 05:53 PM
UPDATE,
Harrison called me tonight and he won the Eliminator class at the Ft. Cobb outlaw race over the weekend with the 19' Stealth.
He ran the 1st round without the duct and lost by 1 1/2 lengths to a local competitor arch rival of his from previous years. He installed the duct and won the next race by 1 1/2 lengths against the same guy because it was a double elimination race. They switched lanes and raced again and he won against the same guy again in the opposite lane. He attributed the increase in performance totally to the installation of the duct.
He was excited about the boats performance and is really sold on the intake duct now. Maybe there's more here than I realized. :idea: :D so does he think it just held the boat down better on holeshot too? i was thinking it'd hold a boat to a straighter launch.
He also told me about blowing a big section off the top of the bowl at high speed. The boat decellerated hard but went straight and didn't hop.
Mark
AHHHH, SHIT!THERE GOES THE PRICE:jawdrop: :D :D that's great, we need to test this on a gullwing with alot of nitrous;) :D

DEL51
09-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Thats quite a change in performance. Hopefully he can get on the boards. Was Duane at the race?

Sleeper CP
09-13-2007, 06:56 AM
He was excited about the boats performance and is really sold on the intake duct now. Maybe there's more here than I realized. :idea: :D
Mark
If only I had the room.:D How big is a 50# Nitrous bottle?
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Pops@Aggressor
09-13-2007, 08:52 AM
UPDATE,
MarkCan you expand on this -any chop or unload he noted in the run. I doubt that high pressure was the cause in the bowl blowing. Most all we see are from Implosion -load- unload -reload @ performance level.
Thanks -dave

Pops@Aggressor
09-13-2007, 10:28 AM
:idea: Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space Back space back space :)What's Up!!!! Are you not running a form of this now! dave

Placecraft Dragstar
11-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Steve, If you've got your jet hydro competitive in an 8 sec class you would be the fastest jet hydro ever. You must be around 115 mph in the 1/8 mi and 130 in the 1/4 ? Near as I can figure that would take 1300 - 1500 hp. You must have really stepped up your engine program. :idea:
No sanger rat is going to have the fastest jet hydro ever.