PDA

View Full Version : uh .. Hello .. Is this the Hot Boat Parental Advice line??

HokeySon
08-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Alright folks, need some advice from the hot boat parental experts.....
My eight year old is a bald faced liar. He lies for no reason. In fact it seems lilke he would rather lie than tell the truth, even when the truth is better for him. And, he is really bad at it.
ANy advice on how to get him to stop this? thanks, as always.

Beer-30
08-03-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't have children, but I can tell you what my father did when I was caught in a lie.
I'll spare the details, but it had something to do with a belt.

IMPATIENT 1
08-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Alright folks, need some advice from the hot boat parental experts.....
My eight year old is a bald faced liar. He lies for no reason. In fact it seems lilke he would rather lie than tell the truth, even when the truth is better for him. And, he is really bad at it.
ANy advice on how to get him to stop this? thanks, as always.
make him take a big bite outta some ivory soap, chew it up and let him spit it out;) my kids are more scared to lie to me than just facing the punishment:D i had to do it when i was a kid for swearing or lyin, so my kids get it too.its not gonna hurt them but when they go to wash their mouth out with water, it gets worse. i also ground them from goin anywhere, tv, or video games(this really hurts em!).arse whoopings are to quik and they forget as soon as the pain is gone.i gave up that yrs. ago.

yopengo
08-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Give him the HONOR speech. A liar and a thief has no honor etc…..a person is only as good as his word. ….his blood is your blood and your father blood and the he will dishonor his ancestors name by having no HONOR. Worked for my kids. Good luck. :D

fatboy95
08-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Park him out in the front yard with a sign around his little neck....
I'm a pathological liar,,Just ask me.
About 3 hours of that he may see the light.

Mr. C
08-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Give him the HONOR speech. A liar and a thief has no honor etc…..a person is only as good as his word. ….his blood is your blood and your father blood and the he will dishonor his ancestors name by having no HONOR. Worked for my kids. Good luck. :D
Then the belt:D :D :D
just to make sure he remembers the conversation
and don't forget to tell him "This is gonna hurt me more than you" LOL

Mr. Crusader 83
08-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Do like Beer:30's dad and my dad did. Belt!:jawdrop:

Big Inch
08-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Park him out in the front yard with a sign around his little neck....
I'm a pathological liar,,Just ask me.
About 3 hours of that he may see the light.
Make him stand one one leg the whole time and every time he tries to rest and stand with both spray him down with the hose.

yopengo
08-03-2007, 08:50 AM
If he continues to lie that take away his freedoms…first the X-Box….TV etc….then play time….then what ever it takes to stop the behavior. The # one thing is do not back down on what you say….If you take it away…its gone. If you give it back then he will walk all over you. A kid will walk all over you as soon as you cave in. If none of this works….get the wooden spoon out and smack that AZZ. :eek:

IMPATIENT 1
08-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Make him stand one one leg the whole time and every time he tries to rest and stand with both spray him down with the hose.
lol, he'd like that:D
i've also got a 24inch paddle with "attitude adjuster" engraved into it, all i gotta do is pick it up and truth starts spillin out:D i don't think i've had to actually use it in a yr or so.

IMPATIENT 1
08-03-2007, 08:53 AM
The # one thing is do not back down on what you say….I you take it away…its gone. If you give it back then he will walk all over you. A kid will walk all over you as soon as you cave in.
i agree 110% .my wife wasn't backing me up on my daughter's groundings, and she got to where being grounded meant nothing to her. i quit being the "punisher" for 3months or backing up my wife and now 1mnth of grounding means 30days, no exceptions:D

Boatcop
08-03-2007, 08:55 AM
A shake of Tabasco Sauce on the tongue did the trick for my kids.
If they swallow any of the soap, they'll have the squirts for a week. Although a case of the squirts lasts longer then the fire tongue, it'll be a pain for you, as well.

SummerBreeze
08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
ever used a cattle prod
it's a shocker:D

Mrs. Jyruiz
08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
I think that once you have spanked and that doesn't work you need to go a different route. You take everything out of his room except things that he needs. I mean game, toys, tv, computer. All except his clothes and the drawers he puts them in. He has to earn them back a little at a time. We need to hit them where it counts at his age. The pain of a belt will go away especially since you can only hit him so hard without it being child abuse, but taking away what they love the most I feel works better. Everytime he is caught lying take it away again. Eventually lets hope he gets the picture.

OGShocker
08-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Paging topless!
LOL

yopengo
08-03-2007, 09:01 AM
I think that once you have spanked and that doesn't work you need to go a different route. You take everything out of his room except things that he needs. I mean game, toys, tv, computer. All except his clothes and the drawers he puts them in. He has to earn them back a little at a time. We need to hit them where it counts at his age. The pain of a belt will go away especially since you can only hit him so hard without it being child abuse, but taking away what they love the most I feel works better. Everytime he is caught lying take it away again. Eventually lets hope he gets the picture.
Good one.
I have all girls and one of my favorites it to take the door off the hinges. The oldest loves her privacy….I then place the door in the middle of her room and say don’t touch it. She has to deal wit it in her way and no privacy for three days or however long is appropriate.
Only had to do this a couple of times. Usually its because she was being a bitch to her sister and slamming doors….

Beer-30
08-03-2007, 09:04 AM
A good friend of mine at work had some problems with his boy at around the 10-13 year old stage. These stories start at 10 and go up from there. I think the guy was a genius, as these are "punishments" that are directly in line with what the crime was. It's not just hauling him off for a spanking, it was geared to make him think twice about doing the same thing again. Here goes:
1. The son would keep forgetting to keep water in the dogs bowl. This was one of his responsibilities around the house. He wanted the dog, they got the dog. The boy said he understood the deal that he fed and watered him.
Father came home one day and noticed the dog panting heavily. He walked out to the water "bucket" and noticed it was bone-dry. The child got a warning.
The second time it happened, the kid jumped up from his video game and said "sorry Dad, I forgot" and went out the back door and grabbed the hose. The father told him to wait a minute, he had a better idea. The father moved the water bucket to the far corner of the back yard. Around 100 feet from the back door of the house. He gave the kid a small drinking cup and told him to fill the bucket from the kitchen sink. Nobody but the kid knows how many trips he made, but it was a bunch. Dad said the only problem with that punishment was that it wore a path in his back lawn. :) It didn't happen again.
2. Probably around 11 or 12 years old, the other duty was to take the trash out before the trash truck came early Sat mornings. The kid forgot once and got a warning.
The second time, Dad came home from work at around 5am. He noticed the trash was not out front. He went into the boy's bedroom to find him fast asleep. "Sorry Dad, I forgot". He yanks the kid out of bed and said "OK, just get the trash out to the curb".
He does as he's told and starts to walk back toward the house, still rubbing his eyes - half asleep. Dad is standing there saying, "no no, don't come back in son. I am afraid someone might steal the trash prior to the trash truck getting here. You stay with it and make sure it's safe." So, the kid sits on the curb for an hour and fifteen minutes until the trash is dumped. It didn't happen again.
3. At about 13, he had a group of friends that he started hanging with. Baggy pants down around the ankles was the new thing. You know, where the boxers or briefs were visible about half-way down? Well, Dad was headed home in the afternoon and saw him walking with friends with his pants hanging. He told him not to do it again.
The second time, he was caught about 6 blocks from the house, walking with three friends that had the same "look". Dad jumped out of his truck and approached the kid. He told him to take off his pants right there. Dad took his pants and got back into his pickup. He said "if you want everyone to see your underwear, you obviously don't need these" and drove off. It didn't happen again.

HokeySon
08-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks folks, some great suggestions. I think I am on the right track. he has gotten the belt and soap and got a kind of honor speech last night (although the one suggested is better and I will give him that too). I'll keep at him with this stuff. He is a tuff little guy! If none of this works, I guess there is alwys the cattle prod.:eek:

IMPATIENT 1
08-03-2007, 09:14 AM
lamo beer-30, that dudes need to write a damn child rearing book!!! it'd sell:D hell,i'd buy 2-3 myself

HokeySon
08-03-2007, 09:30 AM
You're a lawyer, what did you expect? ;)
Was waiting for that one! But like I said, he is really bad at it. Besides, like all fathers I am hoping he does better than me and does something useful with his life!!

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-03-2007, 09:42 AM
My kids were the same way. We would just keep taking things from them until there was nothing left in their rooms. They don't seem to lie as much but at that age they are going to anything possible to keep from getting in trouble.
I lied to my parents and I remember having to brush my teeth with a bar of soap. I didn't lie again.. The bad thing was it was that Coast soap.:yuk:
ask him what he likes the most of all the toys or things he has.
Tell him if he lies you will throw away something of value to him. If he lies again do it again. and so on .. eventually he will stop..
you have take what is of value to him then he will think twice the next time.

Kachina26
08-03-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't have children, but I can tell you what my father did when I was caught in a lie.
Shit, mine involved a belt and a bathtub to keep the blood off of the floor! Nothing like the sound of leather clearing belt loops to make you re-evaluate your actions.
Oh, and your friend sounds like a genius :D

mark49
08-03-2007, 01:23 PM
All good ideas but I found the solution about lying… I’m a father of three two boys and one girl… My daughter was telling whoppers to her friends and it became a big problem later.
My sons punishment at age 10: (Me speaking) Son I’ll give you 50 bucks if you clean the whole downstairs of the house, he works his ass off thinking he'll use the money to buy playstation cassette…
After the work was complete to my satisfaction, he said ok dad where’s my 50 bucks? I said I’m sorry son I lied to you for self gain, I turned and walked away.
Even today at age 18 he asks me if im really going to pay him or if im lying… Truly he’s never lied in major amounts again.
Daughter: same thing but it had to do with a trip to Magic Mountain… Needless to say we never went after she made plans with three of her girl friends all expenses paid.. I’m sure she had alotta explaining to do, OR DID SHE LIE?????
Signed
Payback is a bitch

Old school Ultra
08-03-2007, 01:38 PM
All of the above sound effective, Trying not to sound like a P*ssy maybe try to figure out what he is trying prove by BS'ing you?:idea:

Jbb
08-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Henry's thought's on lying (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxrd_jZJxkg)

thatguy
08-03-2007, 02:00 PM
My son (stepson) is 15 now. FINALLY starting to see the light. When I married his momn 3 years ago he had alot of contempt for me. He would scream at his mother and throw the most childish fits.
I told him that even though I was not his father I would not let him, or anyone else,talk to my wife that way. He said "you can't hit me, you'll go to jail!" Told him " I've been to jail, you will go to the hospital". Well, I did not want to strike him, my dad beat me pretty good and I did not want to go there. So after much thought, I found a solution. Next time he id it, I GENTLY tossed him fully clothed straighjt into the pool, deep end, in January. Now I have basic lifesaving training, as all boaters should have, so I was not concerned too much about it going wrong. And I know he is a strong swimmer. Well, all arguing aside he knew then I would do it in a second.
Worked so well I took it further. He left his socks in the living room, I said are these yours? He said no, smiling. I tossed them in the fireplace, burning. He flipped. I said, "well what do you care? They ain't yours."
Soon his Playstation was at the bottom of the pool as well. Man, he listens good now!
I know what you are thinking, "what an idiot, now he has to buy socks, playstation and whatever else." WRONG! The pool or fireplace signals the end of that item in my house. He puts all his stuff away now cuz he knows I ain't screwing around. Cherishes those damned socks now, let me tell you!
Did the same thing when his sister (17) cranked up the cop killer rap to spite me one day. I politely knocked on her door. She says "I ain't turning it down, you guys are gay!" I said I am not asking you to, may I come in? I went in, unplugged the boom box carried it outside and in it went! 3 months ago. She has now saved for another one and I'll bet I never hear it.
Tommy

Big Inch
08-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Beer 30 I like your friends way of thinking. I tried similar methods with my step sons but my wife did not support it and said I was being too harsh. Couple things I did.. Leave dishes around the house...Remove every dish,pot, pan, cooking utensil, silverware you name it from the pantry and hand clean them, dry them, and put them away. Dropping the dog food in the garage and leaving it again and again and again. Punishment was removing everything from the garage and sweeping and mopping the entire thing then replacing it all. Not telling us the dogs are out of food. No problem, wake them up at whatever time I checked if they ate and noticed they were out of food and make them walk to the store and get the 40 lb. bag back. Think this was where the wifey got involved and said no :)

Caljamr
08-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Alot of these methods are used in boot camp. They take away everything and then slowly give them back to you ...... when you deserve to have them back. It works in so many situations in life.

dunaholic
08-03-2007, 07:03 PM
You're a lawyer, what did you expect? ;)
Dude!!!! Your a lawyer and you punish your boy for lying????
I know that I don't know you but that was to rich to pass up. No offence in he matter.

thatguy
08-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Beer 30 I like your friends way of thinking. I tried similar methods with my step sons but my wife did not support it and said I was being too harsh. Couple things I did.. Leave dishes around the house...Remove every dish,pot, pan, cooking utensil, silverware you name it from the pantry and hand clean them, dry them, and put them away. Dropping the dog food in the garage and leaving it again and again and again. Punishment was removing everything from the garage and sweeping and mopping the entire thing then replacing it all. Not telling us the dogs are out of food. No problem, wake them up at whatever time I checked if they ate and noticed they were out of food and make them walk to the store and get the 40 lb. bag back. Think this was where the wifey got involved and said no :)
Same with my wife, but once she saw it was working she popped the teat from his mouth.
Tommy
Remember what the ghost said to Jack Nicholson in the shining?
"When my children misbehaved I corrected them. When my Wife tried to interfere in my duties I .........corrected her too."

TCHB
08-03-2007, 08:01 PM
1. chili on the tongue
2. Belt
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Lets hope by the time he is a teenager he has learned a good lesson.
Good luck with all the fun stuff of being a parent!!!!!!

Tom Brown
08-03-2007, 08:05 PM
In cases such as this, I always recommend swift and unyielding violence.

HokeySon
08-03-2007, 08:53 PM
In cases such as this, I always recommend swift and unyielding violence.
Thanks man. I knew I could count on you, but I think I got it worked out now. I had the little guy read your posts about the ice cream girl and overzealous mounty and about the ukranian food. At first I thought that was punishment enough, but I decided to make the lesson really stick, I needed a bit more. So I told him if he kept lying all the time, I would have to ship him off to Canadia to live with his uncle Tom. Seems to be working so far. ...

Cas
08-03-2007, 10:56 PM
try a shock collar....works for barking dogs :D

Mrs.Moose on the loose
08-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks folks, some great suggestions. I think I am on the right track. he has gotten the belt and soap and got a kind of honor speech last night (although the one suggested is better and I will give him that too). I'll keep at him with this stuff. He is a tuff little guy! If none of this works, I guess there is alwys the cattle prod.:eek:
Well I have to agree, take out everything in his room and put it in the garage, he gets a mattress and one sheet, clothes and a pillow. TOYS,GAMES, TV, STEREO, PHONES CELLS ETC ARE GONE. Then you explain to him that people hate liars and if he wants to start changing and become a honest person it will start with you work off your stuff back, so for one week you work him to death, at 6:00 pm takes his shower, eats and bed time until morning, no exceptions. That will earn him one thing back, the next week you start all over, if he talks back, you bet use soap, I use to use palmolive dish soap and squirt it in there mouth, but no rinsing. If you want to cry about it then theres the belt.
The whole secert is DO NOT BACK DOWN AT ALL, IT'S HARD BUT BE STRONG.
Mine are 19 and 17 and they are great good girls, everyone says they are a pleasure to be around, they are honest, and polite. I am very proud of them.
Good Luck

Mrs.Moose on the loose
08-03-2007, 11:00 PM
I have to agree with that one, Cas. It's better than beating them or talking to death to them.

Wet Dream
08-04-2007, 04:29 AM
No shit!! Be a parent and control the situation now, or in 8 years you'll wonder why the little bastard doesn't respect you, your rules or anything else. Then you're crying as you bail them out of jail and wondering what happened to my baby. He was such a good baby. Its because the parents have gone f'ing soft. Stop being a pussy and control the situ.

mark49
08-04-2007, 03:52 PM
As my kids got older i found this item to be very influencing..
Taking out the trash, cleaning there rooms, etc......
http://www.electricflyswatter.net/

thatguy
08-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Henry's thought's on lying (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxrd_jZJxkg)
Man, I haven't heard that in years! Gotta love Henry Rollins. Truly a modern renasance man. I have a few of his spoken word cd's. Loved him in "The new guy" - He was the prison warden.
Tommy

YeLLowBoaT
08-04-2007, 04:50 PM
A shake of Tabasco Sauce on the tongue did the trick for my kids.
If they swallow any of the soap, they'll have the squirts for a week. Although a case of the squirts lasts longer then the fire tongue, it'll be a pain for you, as well.
I had that happen when I swore when I was 5-6 in front of my mother. To this day I think I have sworn in front of her one other time.

Phat Matt
08-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Maybe he is a mythomaniac.

ElimJimsOtherHalf
08-05-2007, 12:03 PM
I always rewarded my son (when younger) for 'not lying'...if he told the truth about a situation, the punishment for the situation he lied about (they usually lie to not get caught at something else) was lightened or alleviated because he 'fessed up'.
Over many years of this practice, honesty became a trait of his. He's 20 and until this day, he's not afraid to tell me anything (and everything) he does...but by this age (sometimes for me, it's too much information! ... )

Kachina26
08-05-2007, 12:21 PM
That was just in the news recently, the sadist in me chuckled. Talk about way wrong!