PDA

View Full Version : I hate silicone!

BrendellaJet
08-03-2007, 03:36 PM
New boat is covered in it. instead of re-setting the intake, somebody got the brilliant idea to smother this pump in silicone...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P1010140.jpg
The inside is even worse. Its coming out tonight for some clean up and new paint on the pump, bilge detailing and new power!!!Not all this weekend of course, planning on it taking a month.
If you guys are thinking about sealing a pump with silicone to stop a leak, its okay for a quick fix(maybe) but for long term use do it right! The next boat owner will thank you!

Jetdriver
08-03-2007, 06:32 PM
You welcome! Actually it used to be much better when I had it. Not sure why its so bad now. Maybe Pat resealed? By the way that 5200 on there so its gonna take you some time to get that apart. Take pics! :D

Cas
08-03-2007, 06:44 PM
that's nothing!
here's what mine looked like when I got it
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/84%20Bahner/rea1.jpg

BrendellaJet
08-03-2007, 07:47 PM
You welcome! Actually it used to be much better when I had it. Not sure why its so bad now. Maybe Pat resealed? By the way that 5200 on there so its gonna take you some time to get that apart. Take pics! :D
LOL, I wasn't calling you out. I figured someone did it a long time ago. Somebody did add some recently though...

BrendellaJet
08-03-2007, 07:48 PM
that's nothing!
here's what mine looked like when I got it
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/84%20Bahner/rea1.jpg
I haven't shown you pix of the inside yet. Even the intake adapter got treated to some silicone.

Jetdriver
08-04-2007, 09:46 AM
LOL, I wasn't calling you out. I figured someone did it a long time ago. Somebody did add some recently though...
Hey no worries! I really was well done when we set it the first time. I had the help of some godo people and it was very clean. The only issue I ever saw was the fact that the pump is set so far back without a brace. Infact I talked to Duane a couple times about getting a pump brace from him. Take pics as you go, I really love that boat and Im glad good people have been able to own it.

gqchris
08-04-2007, 10:38 AM
I always thought you got a free Super Size tube of Silicone with the purchase of any jet boat:D They go hand and hand pretty much!

BrendellaJet
08-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Okay, pump and intake are out. 3m 5200 took some gel and glass with it, luckily just the white.
Intake came right out, epoxy was not holding. Looks like some braces are in order due to the big set back.
Anyone know of an easy way to melt silicone off of the suction piece? I dont want to use heat, so maybe some silicone remover? Any ideas?
Jetdriver- are you the one who spent all the money on the annodizing and powder coating? If so, nice job! Are you the original owner? It looks like this thing at one time had some wood grain veneer in the bilge. Im entertaining doing something along those lines. Depending on how well it cleans up(Im gonna bring it to the car wash and power wash it to clean it up). I may just leave it the way it is.
Interior is out so it will be getting some new carpet and new autometers too, oh yeah, Im going to completely rewire it also as Im gonna add some different gauges and I dont want to try to make this harness work...

YeLLowBoaT
08-04-2007, 11:54 AM
3 m makes an adhesive remover that works well. Any mineral spirt works well too( paint thinner, naptha, gas, kerosen and etc) it won't melt it off but it will make it really soft so a putty knife can take it off with ez.

pw_Tony
08-04-2007, 12:47 PM
If the parts are powder coated you can try Laquer Thinner. After a while of trying to get that shit off you'll probably get sick of it and try to use something more aggressive. Put some in a squirt bottle and the other hand with a scraper or towel and go to town. If it's paint then that just sucks

Jetdriver
08-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Okay, pump and intake are out. 3m 5200 took some gel and glass with it, luckily just the white.
Intake came right out, epoxy was not holding. Looks like some braces are in order due to the big set back.
Anyone know of an easy way to melt silicone off of the suction piece? I dont want to use heat, so maybe some silicone remover? Any ideas?
Jetdriver- are you the one who spent all the money on the annodizing and powder coating? If so, nice job! Are you the original owner? It looks like this thing at one time had some wood grain veneer in the bilge. Im entertaining doing something along those lines. Depending on how well it cleans up(Im gonna bring it to the car wash and power wash it to clean it up). I may just leave it the way it is.
Interior is out so it will be getting some new carpet and new autometers too, oh yeah, Im going to completely rewire it also as Im gonna add some different gauges and I dont want to try to make this harness work...
Im not the og owner but the 3rd owner of it. The bilge at one point did have a nice vaneer in it but when I got it, it was coming off already. I did all the powder coating though. I have a million pics of when Bigamist The Rev and I went through that entire boat. Like I said, take lots of pics I want to see your progress.
Shawn

Cs19
08-04-2007, 05:15 PM
This is why Im constantly telling people not to use 3M 5200, its the wrong stuff for the job yet people still use it..Window and door silicone or an RTV is the way to go, it needs to be serviceable like an engine,etc. 5200 is not servicable.
The only thing Ive seen get after that 5200 was letting the part sit submerged in a big solvent tank and that sorta does the trick.Have not tried the 3m remover but knowing 3M, its probably good.

BrendellaJet
08-04-2007, 05:39 PM
A wire brush on a dies grinder makes quick work of it. THere was so much on there that all I really had to do was grab and pull.

BigBlockOldsJet
08-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Damn, I thought this was about something else.

Cs19
08-05-2007, 05:49 PM
A wire brush on a dies grinder makes quick work of it. THere was so much on there that all I really had to do was grab and pull.
but it did take some gelcoat with it, that stuff is a nightmare..

flat broke
08-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Chris,
It's a nightmare to take off, but it does a damn good job of what it's designed to do. There's a difference in applications between a drag boat that's going to see more frequent opening up for this and that, and a recrational cruiser where you want to go out and never worry about that silicone job again. The stuff lasts a LOT longer than regular window and bath GE II when left exposed to the elements. To me, that is worth far more than the inconvienence of having to take it off down the road.
As far as getting it off the gel on the transom without doing any damage, a box of razor blades goes a long way once the parts are separated. Now making the initial cut can be the tough part, but some piano wire will usually get in there and make quick work of it without resorting to prying things apart which will chip gel etc. I could care less if the stuff sticks to metal parts as they can always be striped and re-powdercoated ;)
Chris

Cs19
08-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Chris, Im not referring to dragboats, Im talking about using silicone on jetboats.
5200 may last a lifetime but most jet-drives need servicing/repairs/upgrades every now then, so why use a permanent sealer?
To have to re-powdercoat your parts, damage your gelcoat, fight to remove everything, etc. because you used a permanent adhesive is ridiculous, even if you have your own powdercoating set up at home. Ive never seen a problem with window and door myself unless a major fuel spill happened.
5200 is a bad ass product but not for installing jets.
;)

LakesOnly
08-05-2007, 10:24 PM
B-Jet,
Looks to me like you should be grateful for silicone, seriously.
Doooood, your in SoCal....you should really dig on silcone, if ya know what I mean.
thank god for silicone ;)
LO

PC Rat
08-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I've used Xylene, to soften up silicone, with pretty good success.
I soak a small rag in Xylene and wipe it on the silicone, wait a few minutes and do it again, wait another few minutes and scrape with a plastic blade.

sleekcrafter
08-06-2007, 07:03 PM
I can see where the repair shops would dread the 5200, removal and clean-up times would be thru the roof. However I prefer 5200 for my stuff, I use as little as posible, and only where needed.

502 JET
08-06-2007, 07:14 PM
I used 3M 4200 on my TA housing.
3M 4200
One-part general purpose polyurethane. Chemically reacts with moisture to deliver flexible bonds with good adhesion to wood, fiberglass, gelcoat, certain plastics and metals. Paintable and sandable. Forms watertight, weather resistant seals on joints and boat hardware above or below the waterline. Approximately half the strength of 3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant 5200, which allows for disassembly of parts.

75MillerJet
08-28-2007, 08:44 AM
that first pic is a way old pic that bigamist sent over wasn't it? anyways, glad to hear ur going through the whole boat the right way. i didn't have the money or time to do that with my schedule. as for the 5200 i didn't put any on. that seal job is the exact same seal job as when i bought it from shawn. if it aint broke don't fix it eh? :D

Squirtcha?
08-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Can we see the rest of the boat? What kind of hull is it?
If you do the same kind of work you did on the Brendella, it's gonna be real nice.

BrendellaJet
08-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Pat, I wasn't calling you guys out. I bought this thing as is knowing full well what I had in store for me. Its a nice boat and considering after selling the motor I effectively paid about 4500 bucks for a sweet boat that carries my family and handles the rough stuff a lot better than my little boat.
Update:
I gelled the bilge & transom today. Cracks at transom have been repaired. The pump has been stripped & repainted and will be re-set by the weekend along with new carpet. New MPD bronze impeller will be installed and pump will be rebuilt. Ive got 9 new Auto meter gauges installed in the dash. Motor will go in early next week and then I will re-wire the whole thing. Hoping to have back on the water on 9/6. I have a trip to laughlin planned on the week of the 10th so I've got my work cut out for me.

Squirtcha?
08-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Can we see the rest of the boat? What kind of hull is it?
If you do the same kind of work you did on the Brendella, it's gonna be real nice.

BrendellaJet
08-29-2007, 07:03 AM
Dan this is the boat. Made by a company named Proboat. It was their own design based on what they told me. Is a fairly deep V but has some rocker built in so It doesn't bury the nose if I get out of it quick. From what they told me the boat was "made" to be powered by a jet. Came with a setback pump from the factory. Unfortunately years of use have taken their toll on the bottom/transom as the transom started cracking on the port side where it meets the bottom of the hull. I repaired the crack, regelled and plan to support with some cav plate rods...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P10101131.jpg

BrendellaJet
10-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Well, it took me a little longer than I would have liked, but this boat is ready for the water, with a small increase in power and a rebuilt pump.
Headed to Blythe tomorrow to water test for the day with my bro. Anyone else gonna be out there?

Placecraft Dragstar
10-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Silicone is not to messy, if we did not have silicone you would not be able to look at these
http://www.hooters.com/images/news/2007-10-15/2008_Calendar_Med.jpg