PDA

View Full Version : Brucato vs MADEFI

Toffen
01-03-2003, 08:19 AM
Hi!
First of all - thanks for the respons regarding the SVS Brucato & High Flow Intake Plate for my Promax 300 1999/2002 model.
I have two scenarios which both seem to be very good:
@ SVS Intake + High Flow Reed Plate + Tuner + modified ECU at Rapair Inc = 30 HP gain / approx. 300-400 rpms gain.
@ New MadEfi 3.0 intake + special reeds + tuner = 50 hp gain / approx. 600 rpms gain.
My main concern is longvity, and I want to keep my new powerhead as stock as possible.
So - the big question - which should I choose??
Please help!
Cheers, Toffen-Lillesand

Skaterfast
01-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Mercury uses the SVS on the 300hp Drag Motor.If you want longevity I would go SVS.I have no experience with Mad EFI,but Speed Alley Racer on these boards has spent some time on this system.

DamageInc
01-03-2003, 12:07 PM
Just an opinion, but if you are going to have to modify the ECU with the Brucato system to get 30hp vs. no ECU mods with the MAD system and 50hp, it would seem like a no brainer. It would seem to me that if the ECU mod you are talking about is removing the rev limiter (which I understand is all Rapair can do to the 300 ECU) then you would be sacrificing some longevity. The higher you rev a motor the shorter its life! eek!

SpeedAlleyRacer
01-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Skaterfast:
Mercury uses the SVS on the 300hp Drag Motor.If you want longevity I would go SVS.I have no experience with Mad EFI,but Speed Alley Racer on these boards has spent some time on this system. Toffen,
Either way you go, setting up the fuel curve is a #%$@&*.

Toffen
01-04-2003, 02:21 AM
Hi!
If I am to buy a complete package from MADEFI incl. their new intake, special reeds and tuner, is it necessarry to touch the ECU/ECM? Or is it just to put it on and drive.
I know that Brucato is easy to install, how about MADEFI?
I am also curious about which of them gives most hp for the money. I have not yet received a quote from MADEFI on their new intake and special reeds. But I presume MADEFI is cheaper than Brucato.
In an ideal world I will stick to my ECU/ECM as it is. Included the rev limiter. If the bolt on does not work / has to be removed, then I can use my old stuff without any problem.
Thank you for your help!
Cheers, Toffen G

Tom Brown
01-04-2003, 12:51 PM
Toffen,
I would ask about the MAD EFI on HavasuBarney.com. Troy has quite a bit of experience with it and, as I recall, Lake Trash is running it on at least one 3 liter power head. They can put you in contact with Wayne at MAD EFI, if you like, too.
Everything you need to know about the Brucato system will be made available to you over on Scream & Fly. I don't go there anymore but I assume you've asked your question there too. If you haven't, I would. That's where Tony Brucato hangs out.
The Brucato system has been critisized for the way it adjusts and it has been praised for this too. It has pots that can be adjusted with a screw driver. The MAD EFI system is adjusted with a digital programmer. The MAD EFI system has been critisized for strobing the injectors in 2 banks of 3 cylinders, while the Brucato system does it in 3 groups of two like the stock Mercury unit does.
I will point out that I know very little about either system. My information is completely based on what I've read on the boards. It looks to me like there is a lot of information and maybe even a little mis-information about both systems floating around. From what I can tell, excellent results have been had using both systems, although the Brucato system is still pretty new for reliability claims.
It never hurts to ask around as many places as you can. :)
http://www.havasubarney.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.pl?s=3e173cc80408ffff;act=ST;f=5;t=2138
Good luck,
Tom

randy77zt
01-05-2003, 12:42 AM
madefi use ecm made by a comapany called sds.website is www.sdsefi.com (http://www.sdsefi.com) you are getting rid of oem merc efi system and changing to a system you program yourself.if you run the engine above the rpm that merc programmed it for from the factory you will shorten its life-it just depends on how hard you run it.