PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl upholstery

GAWnCA
08-04-2007, 02:12 AM
Count me in as a newbie jet boater, or wanna be. I'm still shopping. But I do have a question about vinyl upholstery. Most all the boats I've looked at, the upholstery is very dry and ready for an upholstery job, but I would rather do that in the winter. Does anyone know of something I can apply that might bring back a little life to the old vinyl to get me through, what's left of summer? or is there no hope? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,

suckin&pumpin
08-04-2007, 04:04 AM
old t-shirts!

GAWnCA
08-04-2007, 06:12 AM
old t-shirts!
:) I don't think "T" shirts will fit the bucket seats.

Wet Dream
08-04-2007, 06:48 AM
:) I don't think "T" shirts will fit the bucket seats.
BIG t-shirts

Squirtcha?
08-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Not getting many serious replies are you?
Truth is, depending on how bad it is, there isn't much that will bring it back to life.
About all you can do is try some of the typical off the shelf vinyl products at your local auto parts store.
I had my seats redone about 9 or 10 years ago. They were great for the first 6-7 years, but due to lots of usage and kids, they're about ready to be redone again. My boat is even stored in the garage when not in use and they still get dried out (especially here in Arizona).

victorfb
08-04-2007, 09:23 AM
once the vinyl deteriates it is done. not much can be done to revive it. as mentioned allready, cover the seats with something for a temporary fix untill you can afford re-upholstry. once fixed, proper care should be taken. covering the boat while in storage is a great idea, but remember to vent the fuel tanks outside the cover. quality boat covers have fuel fill flaps that should be left open. the petrolium vapors kill the vinyl and leave an unpleasant oder in the boat. storing in a garage is smart, but try not to store tires and other petrolium products near it. better to store that stuff in a seperate shed.
try to keep the old vinyl in tack for the upholsterer so he/she can use the unstiched panals as a pattern. that may help keep the labor cost down a bit.

GAWnCA
08-04-2007, 10:40 AM
once the vinyl deteriates it is done. not much can be done to revive it. as mentioned allready, cover the seats with something for a temporary fix untill you can afford re-upholstry. once fixed, proper care should be taken. covering the boat while in storage is a great idea, but remember to vent the fuel tanks outside the cover. quality boat covers have fuel fill flaps that should be left open. the petrolium vapors kill the vinyl and leave an unpleasant oder in the boat. storing in a garage is smart, but try not to store tires and other petrolium products near it. better to store that stuff in a seperate shed.
try to keep the old vinyl in tack for the upholsterer so he/she can use the unstiched panals as a pattern. that may help keep the labor cost down a bit.
Thanks for the input. All I want to do is get through this summer and then reupholster and new carpet. I'm looking at one boat that they say they have the old seats but removed them, I hope they didn't take everything apart. I can pick up a couple of buckets that need to be upholstered too but if I could soften them up just a little they would do for the rest of this season, I think. Just trying to get by until winter here in Sacramento, CA

suckin&pumpin
08-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I was only half joking, I have 2 small tears and cant afford to re upholster right now, and I have small kids so i seriously often use t shirts as covers they work well and dont burn your skin when the sun beats on them, get home and throw them in the wash., kids love to get in with muddy feet no matter how many times you tell them and this honestly saves me a lot of cleaning

suckin&pumpin
08-04-2007, 12:00 PM
and if you find an upholstery shop in sac you are happy with, let me know

GAWnCA
08-04-2007, 01:04 PM
and if you find an upholstery shop in sac you are happy with, let me know
Are you in this area? I guess so, Dixon!! I graduated high school there! :) Not a great memory but it is a fact.

Classic Daycruiser
08-04-2007, 02:10 PM
I took mine back to Eliminator and let them replace it, just like the original.
Before:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36417&stc=1&d=1186265618
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36419&stc=1&d=1186265877
After:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36418&stc=1&d=1186265618

hotrod56cars
08-04-2007, 02:27 PM
A 50/50 mix of Simple Green and some fine steel wool used with light elbow grease will do wonders. It will remove most stains and add a little of the lost elasticity back as well.

suckin&pumpin
08-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Are you in this area? I guess so, Dixon!! I graduated high school there! :) Not a great memory but it is a fact.
uhh I apologise that you had to suffer thru high school here...j/k
I have only been here a few years but really like it so far. Very much still a good ole boy town, takes a second to become trusted but there are some goood solid people here.