PDA

View Full Version : 4 strokes are coming

Jungle Boy
08-29-2002, 05:32 AM
With all this talk of car engines and 2 strokes, it has made me think a bit (look out). You outboard guys have the most to look forward to in engine advancement. If any of you follow the superbike and motocross races, it's the 4 strokers that are starting to kick ass. Yes, they may be a bit heavier, but they are making huge progress with them. A few years ago you couldn't get anyone to believe that they were going to be the new threat, but they are. With the new CARB laws and peoples thirst for performance, look out for some fast 4 stroke boat engines coming in a few years. Just my thoughts....... :cool:
[ August 29, 2002, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Jungle Boy ]

Boatmaster
08-29-2002, 06:25 AM
I'm a Merc dealer and have all the new info. on mercs new 225hp four stroke, it's here.

flyinbrian
08-29-2002, 11:21 AM
Not looking forward to all of the small intricate moving parts and excessive weight.
Evinrude/Johnson has the technology with the FICHT system to burn as clean as any four stroke.
Four stroke are working in motocross and Moto GP racing because they have six gears. Look at Moto GP, it takes 990+cc to outrun a 500cc two stroke!
Blah, blah, blah.
Major thumbs down to the four stroke outboard. Long live the SCREAM (http://forums.screamandfly.com) of the two stroke.
[ August 29, 2002, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: flyinbrian ]

Whatboat
08-29-2002, 01:52 PM
How about this 4 stroke, 300+ HP Supercharged inline six.

Kim Hanson
08-29-2002, 03:56 PM
325 at the prop.......2 stroke.( . )( . ).... http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Outboards/untitled3.JPG
[ August 29, 2002, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Kim Hanson ]

snappertapper
08-29-2002, 04:14 PM
lookin good kim

HOSS
08-29-2002, 06:49 PM
HHHHHMMMMM, a six cylinder with 8 spark plugs, RIGHT! And the FICHT motor is what put OMC outa business. That motor is a piece of shit. I used to work for an OMC dealer.
Gotta love those bench racing fags!

ratso
08-29-2002, 06:57 PM
Hoss, the old ficht motor was a piece of shit, I agree, but that was when OMC had them. They were released knowing that there would be problems ahead. I sure hate to see something like that tarnish the reputation of one of the pioneers of outboards.

Kim Hanson
08-29-2002, 07:13 PM
HOSS
Backup and "READ",that is LMAO..............That is SUPER-CHARGED right?
[ August 29, 2002, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Kim Hanson ]

HOSS
08-29-2002, 07:32 PM
Even now that Bombadier owns them, the FICHT motor is a flop. If they are so good buy one. Or better yet, by someone`s used one they are trying to get rid of. Run clean? OMC had a marketing strategy stating that the FICHT put out less emissions than a Honda car! I guess they were running so lean thats why pistons would melt. I downloaded so many updates into ECM`s that it wasn`t funny. They were also way too damn tempermental about water. Even the slightest amount and these motors will not run. I too think it is a shame that this happened to Evenrude. Grew up with these motors on back of family boats. All my ol` man would run. But the bottom line was and is that the engineers couldn`t get it together.

Kim Hanson
08-29-2002, 07:43 PM
HOSS
As for calling my engine a piece of shit,"****-OFF"!......( . )( . )...... :mad:

HOSS
08-29-2002, 07:48 PM
Already have! But you my friend are still getting F`d as you still own one.

Kim Hanson
08-29-2002, 07:58 PM
Hoss..
I will continue to own one too,I want to go fast....( . )( . )......... :D

flyinbrian
08-30-2002, 04:40 AM
Ficht being a POS or not, who cares?
I bet the four strokes will run like a dream :rolleyes:
They can make a two stroke run clean. The technology is there, but the public has been led to believe that two stroke outboards are what's killing all the fishies by the tree huggers of the US. So they start making four strokers. It sucks.

HOSS
08-30-2002, 05:45 AM
Make a 2 stroke run clean? maybe on av gas. Just by the design of a 2 stroke, no way can it run as clean as a four and keep hp. Just like diesels with water injection, They say it runs cleaner but it is just diluted. I do believe that technology is there with chamber designs coming a long ass way, but affordability is just not there. Sorry, but the 2 stroke era is falling by the waste side as technology cotinues to progress in the four stroke arena. And if`n you wanna go fast get that Yamaha or better yet a Merc.
Kim, no hard feelings, if you want to beet a clean batch of eggs, get the four stroke.
Now the 300 Evinrude was a monster motor. Gov`t made them stop production. Word was that drug runners would by them to haul ass across the pond to Florida. US go fast couldn`t keep up.
[ August 30, 2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

You Te
08-31-2002, 02:30 PM
Hoss,
You sure like the words, bench racing fags, I wonder why that is?

Kim Hanson
08-31-2002, 03:58 PM
Hoss....
I don't take this stuff to heart,almost agree with you.I just rebuilt my engine and pulled it out to BC and got to drive it for half an hour and toast again.Insurance is picking it up this time........( . )( . ).............. eek!

snappertapper
08-31-2002, 08:36 PM
i Feel for ya kim done the same thing last year, but i know what yall mean about tree huggers, the led the people of florida to belive that gilnet was killing all of the fish so it was then outlawed, putting alot of families out of business unless you want to do it illegaly which is no fun but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do, and i know people who run the new ficht motors and they have been great so far!
Long live the 2-stroke

Kim Hanson
08-31-2002, 10:27 PM
Snappertapper..
Long live the 2 stroke, I agree with you there..........( . )( . )..... wink :D eek!

snappertapper
09-02-2002, 04:47 PM
Anybody have a picture of the new 225 mercury 4 stroke, jsut curious to see what they look like!

Kim Hanson
09-04-2002, 03:17 PM
snappertapper..
This is it....( . )( . ).... :p http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Optimax_2000.JPG

Kim Hanson
09-04-2002, 03:18 PM
Sorry that could be a 2-stroke,will go look some more.....( . )( . )....... :D

Kim Hanson
09-04-2002, 03:42 PM
This is it...( . )( . )........ :confused: http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/225_EFI_FourStroke_SW.JPG

snappertapper
09-05-2002, 03:32 AM
Looks like a "Black Yamaha"

Whatboat
09-06-2002, 11:40 AM
snappertapper:
Looks like a "Black Yamaha"It is a black yamahahahaha

HavasuDreamin'
09-09-2002, 01:09 PM
For an outboard to be fast, it needs to be on a tunnel boat (allison's & stream's aside). Tunnel O/B boats work based on favorable power to weight ratios. Probelm.........4-strokes weigh too damn much, effectively killing your power to weight ratio (not to mention balance).
So they can talk HP all they want, but until they start talking weight and acceleration numbers on boat tests, I don't by it! Similar to Toyota with their v-6 full size truck, no one bought it because it is torque with trucks not necessarily hp that makes the difference! Similarly, with recreational tunnels, it is the power to weight ratio that makes them run, not necessarily JUST hp!
[ September 09, 2002, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

HOSS
09-10-2002, 05:05 AM
BEEN THERE DONE THAT