PDA

View Full Version : Project Boat - Opinions Wanted

El Prosecutor
08-04-2007, 08:27 AM
This is a '74 18.5' Cheetah I am looking at as a project. I want something I can throw around more and go up to 75 mph in. Is this a good start or no?
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t312/Midlake_Crisis/Cheetah1.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t312/Midlake_Crisis/Cheetah.jpg

El Prosecutor
08-04-2007, 11:59 AM
35 looks and no replies - is this a case of "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything??"
Criticisms are welcome, 'specially since I haven't put out the $$$ for it yet.
Waddaya think??

Cas
08-04-2007, 12:08 PM
how much?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Looks like a decent baseline. How much? If its cheap, then jump on it.....

Cas
08-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Looks like a decent baseline. How much? If its cheap, then jump on it.....
my thoughts exactly. I'd just make sure the bottom is in good shape so you don't have to anything with that.

El Prosecutor
08-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Price is $1k "OBO".
The trailer is in bad shape. Seller states that the pump was just "gone through" and has a "race impeller" but doesn't know what size it is. He says it has a single fuel tank that mounts in front of the motor, but no pics yet that show that setup. I am thinking I would have to purchase saddle tanks.
I think he would sell it cheap, but the boat is a 2 hr. drive away from me.
Any general reputation of this vintage/style Cheetah hull for performance limits, etc?

pw_Tony
08-04-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure how pricey these boats are. But isn't $1K a little expensive for how much work you're gonna need to put in?

El Prosecutor
08-04-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure how pricey these boats are. But isn't $1K a little expensive for how much work you're gonna need to put in?
Yes. Especially with the crummy trailer. I was thinking $600-$700 for the boat. The pros are that the pump (allegedly) is in good shape, it has full stringers under the floor, and I like the deck design.
Cons so far are: unknown characeristics of this hull design, unknown condition of the bottom. I'm not crazy about the flame job on the deck either.
My daydream was to remove the false floor, carpet the bottom, build a bench seat, cover the front buckets to match. Snoot, diverter, drop in CP Dad's 460 with T-ram and OT headers, see what she would do.

Squirtcha?
08-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Honestly.............He's asking way too much money. Even if the pump has a diamond encrusted platimum impeller and the tolerances are perfect.
Basically no trailer, no motor, no interior. Lots of work..........lots of money (unless you're one of those patient types that can wait for the part deals to pop up).
I'd say $500 and no more. If he doesn't like it........keep looking.
Is that trailer homemade or has it been patched up? Judging by the boxed in area it looks like it used to be a V-drive trailer.
You said be honest.
It's just an opinion.

lilrick
08-04-2007, 01:33 PM
jet boats are a dime a dozen.....Be picky and a nice deal awaits you.

YeLLowBoaT
08-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I think I would walk from that deal. Even at $500 its not worth it.
Also since you would like to remove the floor your going to have to do ALOT of glass work to replace that structure that it provides.

Classic Daycruiser
08-04-2007, 01:52 PM
If your interested in restoring it....price is not a factor:idea: ($20,000 will make it a nice boat)
$10K into it will get you around the lake.
No boat is cheap.

76 Bonneville
08-04-2007, 02:55 PM
If you're going to spend the time and money on a project boat. I would start with a hull that will give you a return on your money. I have a friend that bought a Cheetah back in the mid 70's. It was basically a entry level jet boat (cheep). He had so many issue from stress cracks to rigging problems, that less than 2 seasons later he had an Eliminator. Also buying a complete boat for 3500.00 w/ a decent trailer is a much better deal. By the time you buy a motor, exhaust, mounting plates, fuel tanks, upolstery, and more than likely another trailer you will be wondering why you didn't buy a boat that had everything there to start with. Just another opinion and we all know what thats worth.

El Prosecutor
08-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Thank you all for the clear thinking. I think I will pass on this one. It would be more fun for the moment to have everyone say "awesome boat", but I think the consensus here is correct, and I am going to wait. The trailer is really a killer on this one too; Squirtcha! is right, it is basically "no trailer".

Squirtcha?
08-04-2007, 04:59 PM
I think you're being wise by letting this one go.
It's still summer (kinda) and prices on boats will surely drop this winter.
They always do. You'll find what you're looking for.
Also keep an eye on Big Proppa, Mouzer, and Slotracer. Those dudes buy and sell boats like I change my shorts.
O.k. maybe not so much Pat (Slotracer) he just buys em and keeps em.:D

atxwrangler
08-04-2007, 06:15 PM
:confused: good descision!didn't that cheetah have the deep front that bow steers???

slotracer
08-04-2007, 07:10 PM
now now dan thats not nice i just like to have a choice:D but i do have a nice full stringer mariah sitting on a tandem axle trailer with a fresh dominator pump i could sale with or without a 460bbf. or a challenger on a tandem thats in decent condition but needs the pump rebuilt depending on how much money he wants to spend. hell for the right price i even have a 76 cole tr1 with a fresh bbc468 in it. but i do have to keep my eliminator :)

Squirtcha?
08-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Spoken like a true boat addict.
Don't ever change.