PDA

View Full Version : Man is almost cut in half by boat pro in mission bay

jbone
08-04-2007, 09:15 PM
I just saw this on the news, but nothing on the internet yet.
At about 6pm this evening a man reversed into his friend at the launch ramp in Mission Bay (San Diego). The police said the prop nearly cut him in half. Obviously he dead. The news reported there we children on board the boat. It looked like a 18 ft Bayliner type boat.
Very, very sad news. Oh by the way. Initial reports are alcohol was NOT involved.
This is one reason I own a jet.
J

jbone
08-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Boat prop, not boat pro.
J

PaPaG
08-04-2007, 09:19 PM
At about 6pm this evening a man reversed into his friend at the launch ramp in Mission Bay (San Diego). The police said the prop nearly cut him in half. Obviously he dead. The news reported there we children on board the boat. It looked like a 18 ft Bayliner type boat.
Very, very sad news. Oh by the way. Initial reports are alcohol was NOT involved.
J
That is sad...this is a great reason to own a jet

OverKill
08-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Exactly what I am trying to tell everyone in my avatar.
OverKill

centerhill condor
08-05-2007, 03:24 AM
J
yea, that only has to happen once! bummer.

NashvilleBound
08-05-2007, 04:53 AM
yea, that only has to happen once! bummer.
:2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

Miss Perfect
08-05-2007, 05:19 AM
SAN DIEGO: A man was killed in Mission Bay late yesterday after he fell into the water and the propeller of the motorboat his friends were riding in accidentally struck him, authorities said.
The county Medical Examiner's Office identified the victim as Paul Bernard, 40, of Lake Forest.
The accident occurred at about 5:30 p.m. at the Campland dock, said San Diego Lifeguard Lt. Nick Lerma.
Bernard was either standing on the dock or on the boat's swim step when the boat moved forward, and he fell into the water. To avoid hitting another boat, the driver of the first boat shifted into reverse and the propeller struck Bernard.
“It's very tragic,” Lerma said. “It underscores the need for boating safety and for boating operators to really keep their head on a swivel and stay aware at all times.”
Police were investigating.

shueman
08-05-2007, 06:58 AM
:(

Baja Big Dog
08-05-2007, 07:48 AM
That's just plain bad...kids were there!!!!:(

ratso
08-05-2007, 08:46 AM
J
...that's almost as stupid as saying I won't own a jet because if I lose power the boat could turn hard left and I might run over and kill somebody.;)

superdave013
08-05-2007, 08:52 AM
...that's almost as stupid as saying I won't own a jet because if I lose power the boat could turn hard left and I might run over and kill somebody.;)
and that's just what happened at the Cypress Gardens ski show years ago.
It didn't turn at all and that was the problem. Bang, up in the stands it went.
This deal in SD is pretty bad if they guy fell off the swim step. If he fell of the dock not much could have prolly been done. Sorry but that's part of the selection process. But if he was standing on a swim step the boat operator should have not even had the engine running. If that's what happened someone is in trouble big time.

Jbb
08-05-2007, 08:59 AM
It happened with a jet at Sea World too..steering failure

ratso
08-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Didn't a boat driven by Dan Pastorini run up on the bank and kill some people at the boat drags back in the 80's?

ratso
08-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Found it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Pastorini

centerhill condor
08-05-2007, 12:55 PM
he said, "one reason"....
my best estimate would lead me to conclude that more folks are cut by props than run over by "out of control" jetdrives merely by the numbers of props versus jets...ya'll get so defensive about the drive choice.
We all should be more careful. It is dangerous. People die from falling off docks hitting the head, carbon monoxide, etc and drowning.
CC

ratso
08-05-2007, 12:57 PM
he said, "one reason"....
my best estimate would lead me to conclude that more folks are cut by props than run over by "out of control" jetdrives merely by the numbers of props versus jets...ya'll get so defensive about the drive choice.
We all should be more careful. It is dangerous. People die from falling off docks hitting the head, carbon monoxide, etc and drowning.
CC
...unless you lump in jet skis with jet drives... same basic principal.:D

Trailer Park Casanova
08-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Found it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Pastorini
"Pastorini was involved in a fatal boating accident during a race on Lake Mizell in Texas. The boat veered onto the shore and hit a crowd of spectators after its engine failed, causing its automatic steering mechanism to fail. Two people were killed and three people were injured. Pastorini was found innocent of criminal responsibility. Subsequently, parents of one of the survivors filed a $1.5 million lawsuit against Pastorini. To pay for the out of court settlement, Pastorini appeared in a nude photospread in Playgirl magazine's December 1980 issue."

Jbb
08-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Sea World incident (http://www.rbbi.com/folders/acc/seaworld/ap20.htm)

OverKill
08-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Well I got to say it. This thread is worthless without pics.

Jbb
08-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Let's go to the videotape (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaJzgJMc5h4)

shueman
08-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Let's go to the videotape (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaJzgJMc5h4)
:jawdrop: :(

vee-driven
08-05-2007, 03:15 PM
I wont own a jet, toooo sloooow, if your worried about safety pick a different hobby and as far as i am concerened props just cut the stupid people out of the geene pool. hahah

mickeyfinn
08-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Props don't kill people, stupid people with props kill people. Same as gun control argument. My favorite saying is that guns kill people the same way erasers cause spelling errors.

Seadog
08-05-2007, 05:21 PM
More people are killed by blunt force trauma from being hit by a boat than are killed by props. It does not matter what type of boat, high performance is more inclined to have mechanical or driver error simply due to the smaller margin of error. Stupid is going to be involved in more accidents because it is more common and can affect anyone. So forth and so on. All boating is about compromise. When they can find a boat that can do 50+ mph without any petroleum product, makes no wake, has no exposed rotating parts, and can be manuevered by any idiot, we will still find ways to create havoc.