PDA

View Full Version : Looking For My Old Drag Boats

roy d
08-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Maybe some of you guys can help me. I raced Flat Bottoms from 1973 to aprox. 1977 had 3 Sangers and 4 Hondos all Runner bottoms. Boat name was
GEAR UP my old NDBA number was 419 all years except 1975 when I had a
partner we used his number 241. Boats ran primarly in the old NDBA SKI
Modifed flat bottom class olso ran Unblown Gas flat NDBA and some APBA.
As far as I know I still hold the Ski Modifed NDBA record 123.80 set during
qualifing for 1974 nationals in my second Sanger. I still keep in touch with some of the old guys (ones that are still with us). I ran with a great bunch of guys (for the most part )too many names to mention but most of the greats and near-greats of that era. Kens Automotive did all of my motors back then. He is still in business in Ventura Ca. and is infact building a stroked small block Ford for a Cobra replica I am buliding - I guess you never learn.If any body has any information about these boats please let me know. e-mail rwd@kingwoodcable.com (name Roy Doby).On reflection and purely my opinion
they were all good boats some better than others obviously but the people
really tried hard. As for as the boats I drove, the Sangers were a little faster
but inconstant and harder to drive. The Hondos were the easy straight solid
and very forgiving - never had a bad ride in one and never got wet, close but--
Also the Sangers were harder to set up as far as engine placement shaft
angle etc.Any way ill quit babbling and wait to hear from guys.I have a million
storys but thats another day. Keep the chines dry and you're going fast.

Carnivalride
08-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Roy,
By any chance was one of your old Hondos a 76 GT deck with the deep runners? If so you might want to contact adjones419 on the boards I think he was going to sell at the end of this season to build a new boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=130606&size=big&cat=&ppuser=16095&sl=a

Life's Rough
08-05-2007, 09:12 AM
I believe one of your Sangers lives at Big River,It has a blown alky 427 in it and is super clean.

roy d
08-05-2007, 09:58 AM
CARNIALRIDE I saw that boat posted here thought it might be one of
mine. The boat I had was one of about 3 or 4 that were built at the end of
the 1975 season I had one Mike Brendel and I ran it in Un Blown Gas Flat in
1976 It had a 1.5+ tunnel we changed it several times during the year it was
a Hondo factory boat it had the first Aries Hemi head conversion on top of a
aluminum can am block around 600 inches If I remember correctly pretty big for those days. It was mildly successful to Manny firsts I believe stuck
a rod out the side at Bakersfield used one of my other motors the res of the season. The late Sam (Vergil) Fields had another one of the boats ran
Blown Gas (Little Beaver boat) The motor in this boat belonged to the late
Bob Haris (notice a trend ) I think another went into a Blown Fuel Flat this
might have been the plug a lot of that went on in those days. I think
The late Al Bush might have been involved in that effort.The boat Mike and
I ran was painted yellow red candy accents tap shading standard for the day
one of the manny unusual features was an imitation wood deck. Doubt if
that survived. Boat ran as GEAR UP NDBA number 419. It had a lenco 2 speed
out of my 1975 Ski Modified Hondo first flat bottom with a 2 speed and the
winning est boat I ever had

coolchange
08-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I remember Gear Up making passes in the 120s and thinking thats insane for ski mod. One of my favorite boats back in the day. Was there a black one?Wasn't that a single carb class? Had to have 2 seats and thru hull fills? I used to own Annons "Ondalay" in ski trim and remember thinking ski mods runnin about 4 mph slower than my boat used to run in UBG flat :sqeyes: .
I know if I saw a Gear Up somewhere it would spin me around and I'm sure a lot of the old school guys are the same. Good luck with the search.
Welcome to the board.

Fired Up
08-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Let me see..as best I can recall..GEAR UP, UGF...driver Roy Dobie..? you were a pilot, am I right?:idea:

roy d
08-05-2007, 09:31 PM
FIREDUP You are right except it is Doby retired from the airline a year or so
ago after 39 years 9 months and 13 days but whos counting

Sangerboy
08-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Glad you're posting Roy, this is the place to ask if anyone knows anything about your old boats. I've seen a couple of pics of your boat when I was hanging out over at Ken's. They've built 4 or 5 motors for me. I remember seeing your boat at the beach in the mid 70's, my brother and I were just awestruck at the thought of 600+ cubic inches way back then. Didn't you run a predator carb on that deal? Maybe I'll see you at the shop sometime. Greg

Fired Up
08-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Welcome to the site, many good stories and memories are found here, not to mention tech advice. Like Greg said (and we are showing our AGE now) we used to watch you at the beach...and I do remember the early Predator carb. Was it you and Mike Brendel (Holy Smokes/Hot Damn Hondo) or Ted Faggart (Superstar)that were always in strict competition with each other?

BILLY.B
08-09-2007, 05:44 AM
"GEAR UP". Back in the day of the Long Beach drag races I use to pick you over the rest of the field and I usually won. You use to hang that nose out there like you were taking off in a plane :D . Cool stuff. I went to work for Jack Davidson and remember you when you bought one of the new designed runner bottoms and that is the boat that Al Alcorn now owns down at Big River. Light lay up especially for a blown Alcohol deal. Glad to see your still interested in these boats as they are, which you know, a real cool thing, not to mention a great way to meet some really nice people. One thing for you to remember Roy. Watch out for that "Life's Rough" guy....He's a real piece of work!!!!!:eek:

Roaddogg 4040
08-09-2007, 05:56 AM
"GEAR UP". Back in the day of the Long Beach drag races I use to pick you over the rest of the field and I usually won. You use to hang that nose out there like you were taking off in a plane :D . Cool stuff. I went to work for Jack Davidson and remember you when you bought one of the new designed runner bottoms and that is the boat that Al Alcorn now owns down at Big River. Light lay up especially for a blown Alcohol deal. Glad to see your still interested in these boats as they are, which you know, a real cool thing, not to mention a great way to meet some really nice people. One thing for you to remember Roy. Watch out for that "Life's Rough" guy....He's a real piece of work!!!!!:eek:
Bus tickets here, get your bus tickets here!:D :D
Steve

adjones419
08-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Maybe some of you guys can help me. I raced Flat Bottoms from 1973 to aprox. 1977 had 3 Sangers and 4 Hondos all Runner bottoms. Boat name was
GEAR UP my old NDBA number was 419 all years except 1975 when I had a
partner we used his number 241. Boats ran primarly in the old NDBA SKI
Modifed flat bottom class olso ran Unblown Gas flat NDBA and some APBA.
As far as I know I still hold the Ski Modifed NDBA record 123.80 set during
qualifing for 1974 nationals in my second Sanger. I still keep in touch with some of the old guys (ones that are still with us). I ran with a great bunch of guys (for the most part )too many names to mention but most of the greats and near-greats of that era. Kens Automotive did all of my motors back then. He is still in business in Ventura Ca. and is infact building a stroked small block Ford for a Cobra replica I am buliding - I guess you never learn.If any body has any information about these boats please let me know. e-mail rwd@kingwoodcable.com (name Roy Doby).On reflection and purely my opinion
they were all good boats some better than others obviously but the people
really tried hard. As for as the boats I drove, the Sangers were a little faster
but inconstant and harder to drive. The Hondos were the easy straight solid
and very forgiving - never had a bad ride in one and never got wet, close but--
Also the Sangers were harder to set up as far as engine placement shaft
angle etc.Any way ill quit babbling and wait to hear from guys.I have a million
storys but thats another day. Keep the chines dry and you're going fast.
Hi Roy. I have your old Gear Up Hondo GT deck with the deep runner. I've had conversations about the boat with Ron Sapp (owned it before Fred Welshans, who I bought it from). I also spoke with Wayne Mettler about the boat in Oklahoma City a few weeks ago. I'll send you an e-mail with some pictures, since I'm having issues posting at work.

roy d
08-10-2007, 05:59 AM
Glad you're posting Roy, this is the place to ask if anyone knows anything about your old boats. I've seen a couple of pics of your boat when I was hanging out over at Ken's. They've built 4 or 5 motors for me. I remember seeing your boat at the beach in the mid 70's, my brother and I were just awestruck at the thought of 600+ cubic inches way back then. Didn't you run a predator carb on that deal? Maybe I'll see you at the shop sometime. Greg
Sangerboy thanks for the input your partially correct about the carb we ran
a Kindig carb which was developed and patented by Willey Kindig in the
late 60s early 70s he was quite a character had a shop in Torance Ca.next
to Donovan's place this was later developed into the predator as I understand
it.It was a variable venturi which supposedly flowed a max of 1100 c.f.m.we
also ran Hollys in fact we set the NDBA record in 1974 with the
Holly. I will be out at Kens some time this month to dyno a motor hes doing for me maybe ill see you.
Roy D.

"The Bandit"
08-14-2007, 04:38 PM
hi roy. we ran the #78 boat back in the 70s so i'm shure we've met, we ran ski comp. &BGF. some guys you might want to contact are- brian@ the cassic v-drive club 559-322-9340. dean@3-d boats.559-597-1064 &wayne metler is alwase good. i will never forget the WAR EAGLE. i'll keep my eyes out" i live just above camp far west & we run a 80's hondo BAF.& a86 deaver hydro [x hemi eng. piece] BAH. & i'm puting together a 80's kurits 500 hydro with one of big daddy's BF motors. LIKE to help if i can. ANDY

Rexone
08-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Welcome to the forum Roy. I remember watching you run (and win) many times at Long Beach and Lake Ming back then.