PDA

View Full Version : 1973 Kona

lamsv
08-05-2007, 01:08 PM
I just picked up my new to me boat yesterday. Does anybody know were to get a replacement for the acylic piece that goes around the back of the transom? In the pictures, the red piece at the back of the boat, behind the motor. What the hell is that piece called anyways?
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b163/lambosv/1973%20Kona/Kona03.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b163/lambosv/1973%20Kona/Kona02.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b163/lambosv/1973%20Kona/Kona01.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b163/lambosv/1973%20Kona/KonaAP202.jpg

76 Bonneville
08-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Splash guard. That is a cherry old KONA, all you need is a spark arrestor and a stanless scoop:D

pw_Tony
08-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Good to see you finally got a Boat!

Wet Dream
08-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Nice boat!!! But you really gotta change a few things. Ditch that air cleaner, and water the stupid lawn. The toys look like shit in a shitty yard.

lamsv
08-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Nice boat!!! But you really gotta change a few things. Ditch that air cleaner, and water the stupid lawn. The toys look like shit in a shitty yard.
Maybe you can have better luck getting the landlord to fix the sprinklers.
Splash guard. Check.
Yes, I already have a lot of things I want to fix. Nothing major, almost everything cosemetic. Splash guard, scoop (with spark arrestor!!), plug wires (blue plug wires on a red boat??)...etc. I can already see where my spare money is going!

jetboat
08-06-2007, 04:11 AM
one other idea,what do you think the total seating weights?looooks realy heavy.other than that,let it rip.

lamsv
08-06-2007, 07:49 AM
one other idea,what do you think the total seating weights?looooks realy heavy.other than that,let it rip.
You know, I'm not sure what it weighs. I don't think it is much more than a normal 2 bucket seats, one bench seat arrangement. In my case, the bench is up front, with 2 rear facing buckets. The only added weight over the traditional set-up is the middle section that covers the battery and wiring.
Does anybody know where you can find a splash guard? I have been searching, but have come up with nothing so far.
Thanks everybody!

n8dawg
08-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Congrats on the boat! You still have alot of Summer left to enjoy it!
Looks good and good job!
Your going to have to tell us how she runs and what kind of numbers your seeing. Is that a 454?
Details,Details,Details!!!!!

H20MOFO
08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
I Thought Those Where Homemade Or Custom Made.
I Made My Last One Out Of Stainless. Let Me Know If I'm Wrong.

pw_Tony
08-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Just repair it and paint it a metallic red. It'll look good still have have the same holes it has now without driling on a new one

pw_Tony
08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Just repair it and paint it a metallic red. It'll look good still have have the same holes it has now without driling on a new one

Wet Dream
08-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Maybe you can have better luck getting the landlord to fix the sprinklers.
Splash guard. Check.
Yes, I already have a lot of things I want to fix. Nothing major, almost everything cosemetic. Splash guard, scoop (with spark arrestor!!), plug wires (blue plug wires on a red boat??)...etc. I can already see where my spare money is going!
Lol, the good side...you don't have to mow that lawn. ;) Spare money? No such thing now. It never stops.

devanwon
08-06-2007, 05:47 PM
seth,
hey man glad to see you like my old boat and got home safely... any questions feel free to call. have fun and enjoy, by the way just picked up the v-drive and love it:D

lamsv
08-06-2007, 08:39 PM
seth,
hey man glad to see you like my old boat and got home safely... any questions feel free to call. have fun and enjoy, by the way just picked up the v-drive and love it:D
Well, took her out today for the first time. Hell F*ck Yeah!
It is pretty much everything I hoped it would be. Fast, loud, attention getting. Definitely a different driving experience compared to my old outboards. I had no real issues. I need to rejet the carb for my elevation (started to stumble after a few hours...I will pull the plugs to see if I fouled them). I only pulled 4300-4400 rpm's today. But, I am pretty sure I will gain some rpm's once I get the motor tuned. Other than that, just put her in the water and went!
I think I might just repair the splash guard and have it painted to match the red of the boat. Good idear pw383426!
Details. It is a 454. Bottom end was rebuilt with Keith Black forged pistons, Eagle rods, ARP studs. Top end just looks to be all stock, with Holley car and Weiand intake. Stock cam, stock heads. I need to see what heads are on the engine now. This winter, carb, intake, cam, heads. Has a Berkeley pump (no sure which one) with a drop snoot and hydraulic divertor. Haven't looked to see if there are any other additions to the pump.
Devan...I love the boat. It is just what I was looking for. Like I said before, no real major issues. Ran her for 3 hours or so, and just enjoyed the experience! E-mail pics of your new v-drive!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b163/lambosv/1973%20Kona/Stern.jpg

ck7684
08-07-2007, 05:09 AM
Sweet boat!!! Does that have rearward facing seats also?

lamsv
08-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Sweet boat!!! Does that have rearward facing seats also?
Yep! Bench seat up front, with 2 rear facing buckets. Thanks for the compliments!

ck7684
08-07-2007, 06:42 AM
You could also have a stainless splash guard made with lettering cut out, then add a painted piece behind the lettering to make it stand out. Just find somebody with a laser or waterjet cutter :D

n8dawg
08-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Thats all you need is a sunny day and a good looking roostertail.
Good job!:D

lamsv
08-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Thats all you need is a sunny day and a good looking roostertail.
Good job!:D
It pretty much was the best day so far this summer. It was the realization of a dream for me really! Smooth water, not a cloud in the sky, good looking boat, nice roost, ole lady beside me...it was a damn fine day!

pw_Tony
08-07-2007, 08:09 PM
It pretty much was the best day so far this summer. It was the realization of a dream for me really! Smooth water, not a cloud in the sky, good looking boat, nice roost, ole lady beside me...it was a damn fine day!
OK now you're just making me jealous!:D :D